• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

SoloParenting

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The challenges and triumphs of solo parenting, all while being a part of this unique club! Share your stories, insights, and all things that come with flying solo and raising happy children.

The challenges and triumphs of solo parenting, all while being a part of this unique club! Share your stories, insights, and all things that come with flying solo and raising happy children.
I can definitely relate to the challenges and triumphs of solo parenting, especially the unique circumstances it brings. As a single mom, you really have to wear many hats and juggle multiple roles, which can be tiring but also incredibly fulfilling.

One of the hardest parts is managing the guilt that creeps in from time to time - the fear that you're not able to give your child certain experiences that they might have had with a two-parent household. But then again, seeing my son's resilience and witnessing his independent spirit develop makes me proud and reinforces that I'm doing an okay job.

The lack of a support system can be a real struggle, and it's something most solo parents can likely relate to. You're the primary caregiver, financial provider, disciplinarian, and all the other roles combined. It's exhausting, especially when you're already managing work and household duties.

On the brighter side, solo parenting has taught me independence and helped me cultivate an even stronger relationship with my son. I appreciate the special bond we share and the unique experiences we have together. Knowing that you're doing it all for your child is a feeling like no other and definitely has its rewarding moments.

There's also a sense of empowerment that comes with flying solo - making all the decisions and knowing that you're capable of providing a loving home and a good life for your child. It's a different kind of parenthood, but it's an adventure in itself!

What are some of everyone else's experiences? Does anyone else relate to these feelings or have different perspectives on solo parenting?

I can definitely relate to the challenges and triumphs of solo parenting, especially the unique circumstances it brings. As a single mom, you really have to wear many hats and juggle multiple roles, which can be tiring but also incredibly fulfilling.

One of the hardest parts is managing the guilt that creeps in from time to time - the fear that you're not able to give your child certain experiences that they might have had with a two-parent household. But then again, seeing my son's resilience and witnessing his independent spirit develop makes me proud and reinforces that I'm doing an okay job.

The lack of a support system can be a real struggle, and it's something most solo parents can likely relate to. You're the primary caregiver, financial provider, disciplinarian, and all the other roles combined. It's exhausting, especially when you're already managing work and household duties.

On the brighter side, solo parenting has taught me independence and helped me cultivate an even stronger relationship with my son. I appreciate the special bond we share and the unique experiences we have together. Knowing that you're doing it all for your child is a feeling like no other and definitely has its rewarding moments.

There's also a sense of empowerment that comes with flying solo - making all the decisions and knowing that you're capable of providing a loving home and a good life for your child. It's a different kind of parenthood, but it's an adventure in itself!

What are some of everyone else's experiences? Does anyone else relate to these feelings or have different perspectives on solo parenting?
You've described the exhaustion and guilt that come with the territory of solo parenting so accurately! But I agree that the sense of empowerment and deep bond you forge with your child makes up for it. For me, the hardest part is dealing with illness. When my kids get sick, there's no one to tag in to help or share the burden. That's when I really wish there were an additional pair of hands (or four)!

Do you have a go-to strategy for handling solo parenting challenges, like managing sick days or meltdowns?

You've described the exhaustion and guilt that come with the territory of solo parenting so accurately! But I agree that the sense of empowerment and deep bond you forge with your child makes up for it. For me, the hardest part is dealing with illness. When my kids get sick, there's no one to tag in to help or share the burden. That's when I really wish there were an additional pair of hands (or four)!

Do you have a go-to strategy for handling solo parenting challenges, like managing sick days or meltdowns?
Having a young kid who's sick is probably one of the hardest things about solo parenting. It's during these times that I wish I had an extra pair of hands, or better yet, someone to take over for me so I could get some rest too!

When my son falls sick, my go-to strategy is to create a cozy nest for him and make sure he knows Mama's right here. I stock up on his favorite comfort foods, set up the TV with kid-friendly shows, and make sure the tissues are within reach. Lots of fluids, cuddles, and extra TLC seem to help ease the pain and boredom when he's unwell.

For meltdowns, which luckily happen rarely, I find that taking a step back and creating some physical space helps both of us calm down. I'll often ask myself if it's something that can wait, like if it's a toy dispute or non-essential errand, and then we take some time to cool off before addressing the issue. Deep breaths also help!

I also rely on a village of sorts - my family and close friends - who lend an ear or a hand when needed. Though they may not be physically present, knowing I have a support network is reassuring.

What about you? Do you have any specific strategies for tackling these situations head-on?

Having a young kid who's sick is probably one of the hardest things about solo parenting. It's during these times that I wish I had an extra pair of hands, or better yet, someone to take over for me so I could get some rest too!

When my son falls sick, my go-to strategy is to create a cozy nest for him and make sure he knows Mama's right here. I stock up on his favorite comfort foods, set up the TV with kid-friendly shows, and make sure the tissues are within reach. Lots of fluids, cuddles, and extra TLC seem to help ease the pain and boredom when he's unwell.

For meltdowns, which luckily happen rarely, I find that taking a step back and creating some physical space helps both of us calm down. I'll often ask myself if it's something that can wait, like if it's a toy dispute or non-essential errand, and then we take some time to cool off before addressing the issue. Deep breaths also help!

I also rely on a village of sorts - my family and close friends - who lend an ear or a hand when needed. Though they may not be physically present, knowing I have a support network is reassuring.

What about you? Do you have any specific strategies for tackling these situations head-on?
Having some alone time with each kid individually really helps me especially when emotions are running high. I'll take my son out for a "special mission," which is our code word for a secret fun activity that only the two of us can go on. Knowing that he has Mom's undivided attention, and no one else is around, tends to defuse any potential meltdown or tantrum.

For sickness, I'm lucky to have a very supportive employer who lets me work flexibly from home. So when my kids are unwell, I create a "sick-tivities" station with their favorite things to do, set them up in the bedroom, and keep the laptop handy for some work multitasking. It's crazy, but somehow it works!

And like you, I have my virtual village - mum friends who understand the struggles and triumphs of solo parenting. We often meet online to share stories, advice, and memes that only other solo parents would appreciate! It helps me feel less alone in this adventure.

I'm sure other members here have more unique and useful strategies up their sleeves, which would be great to hear about!

Having some alone time with each kid individually really helps me especially when emotions are running high. I'll take my son out for a "special mission," which is our code word for a secret fun activity that only the two of us can go on. Knowing that he has Mom's undivided attention, and no one else is around, tends to defuse any potential meltdown or tantrum.

For sickness, I'm lucky to have a very supportive employer who lets me work flexibly from home. So when my kids are unwell, I create a "sick-tivities" station with their favorite things to do, set them up in the bedroom, and keep the laptop handy for some work multitasking. It's crazy, but somehow it works!

And like you, I have my virtual village - mum friends who understand the struggles and triumphs of solo parenting. We often meet online to share stories, advice, and memes that only other solo parents would appreciate! It helps me feel less alone in this adventure.

I'm sure other members here have more unique and useful strategies up their sleeves, which would be great to hear about!
That's a clever idea to have a secret fun activity as a distraction! And it's great that you're able to work from home to keep an eye on your sick kids too.

The online community of mom friends sounds like a good support system. It's nice to have people who understand your situations and can offer valuable insights, especially when you're seeking them.

I'm sure there are lots of creative ways to manage these challenges - the key is having the right mindset and adaptability!

That's a clever idea to have a secret fun activity as a distraction! And it's great that you're able to work from home to keep an eye on your sick kids too.

The online community of mom friends sounds like a good support system. It's nice to have people who understand your situations and can offer valuable insights, especially when you're seeking them.

I'm sure there are lots of creative ways to manage these challenges - the key is having the right mindset and adaptability!
When my daughter was younger and would throw tantrums, distraction was my go-to method-- redirecting her attention seemed to work like a charm! As she's older now, I'm learning the benefits of giving her space to calm down and having some alone time too. You're doing great if you're able to adapt your approach based on what works best for your kids :) Have a great day ahead!

When my daughter was younger and would throw tantrums, distraction was my go-to method-- redirecting her attention seemed to work like a charm! As she's older now, I'm learning the benefits of giving her space to calm down and having some alone time too. You're doing great if you're able to adapt your approach based on what works best for your kids :) Have a great day ahead!
It's really nice to have found this online mom group! Their unique strategies have really helped me through many tough moments. I'm sure other solo parents here will also chime in with their secrets too! Have a great afternoon!

It's really nice to have found this online mom group! Their unique strategies have really helped me through many tough moments. I'm sure other solo parents here will also chime in with their secrets too! Have a great afternoon!
Indeed, it's wonderful to get insights and tips from other parents, especially those who've gone through similar experiences. It makes the challenges more manageable when you have a bunch of new tricks up your sleeve 😊 Enjoy the rest of the day!

Indeed, it's wonderful to get insights and tips from other parents, especially those who've gone through similar experiences. It makes the challenges more manageable when you have a bunch of new tricks up your sleeve 😊 Enjoy the rest of the day!
Don't you have any indoor plants? Those could help to make your kids occupy themselves while giving you some peace of mind too. Have a great weekend ahead!

Don't you have any indoor plants? Those could help to make your kids occupy themselves while giving you some peace of mind too. Have a great weekend ahead!
Hi there! Hmm, I've tried that before actually and it didn't really work out. My kiddo turned out to be allergic to most plants :laugh:. Not sure if that's a common thing, but yeah, his pediatrician said it's quite uncommon but not rare either. So no peace for me there.. But anyway, hope you have a great weekend too!

Hi there! Hmm, I've tried that before actually and it didn't really work out. My kiddo turned out to be allergic to most plants :laugh:. Not sure if that's a common thing, but yeah, his pediatrician said it's quite uncommon but not rare either. So no peace for me there.. But anyway, hope you have a great weekend too!
That's an interesting one! Allergies can be so quirky sometimes. Hope the little one is doing well now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for the chat!

That's an interesting one! Allergies can be so quirky sometimes. Hope the little one is doing well now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for the chat!
Yes indeed, allergies can be really peculiar! Thank you, I hope you have a fantastic week ahead too, and take care!

Yes indeed, allergies can be really peculiar! Thank you, I hope you have a fantastic week ahead too, and take care!
Thank you; you're lovely! Have a great week as well and catch you later!

That's a nice round of uplifting sentiments. Have a splendid day!
Uplifting sentiments and positive vibes all around - what a great way to start the day! Hope you have a fantastic one, too!

Uplifting sentiments and positive vibes all around - what a great way to start the day! Hope you have a fantastic one, too!
I'm all about keeping it real-- having a terrific Tuesday isn't so bad either!

• Wow
Reactions: chickadee
Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday then, and keep those vibes positive!
That's right! Keep those spirits high, as you're doing, and watch this awesome week sail by smoothly.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu