• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

You're right; it's a stark realization when circumstances unexpectedly thrust us into solo parenting. It takes time to adapt to the new normal, and the juggle is real with young kids in the mix! Glad to hear your little ones are doing well, growing up resilient. Does anyone else here have multiple children as a sole parent? That in itself must present some interesting challenges!
I've got three kids from a previous marriage that ended unexpectedly. Managing three with only pair of hands (and feet) is quite the workout! Juggling their different needs, especially when they were younger, was a challenge. Now that they're older, it's more manageable, but keeping peace among the trio is a whole other hurdle!

You're right; it's a stark realization when circumstances unexpectedly thrust us into solo parenting. It takes time to adapt to the new normal, and the juggle is real with young kids in the mix! Glad to hear your little ones are doing well, growing up resilient. Does anyone else here have multiple children as a sole parent? That in itself must present some interesting challenges!
I can only imagine how parents with multiple young children keep the balance. My hat goes off to you because managing one kid is hard enough! Multiple kids would present unique challenges and require extra patience and attention - not an easy feat!

That's encouraging to hear that you're doing your best despite your marriage falling apart. The fear of the unknown future ahead, especially when there are young ones involved, is daunting. kudos to you! It's great that you're focusing on the silver linings and finding strength in your children's development despite the challenging circumstances.
It is a scary prospect suddenly being solely responsible for another human being's well-being, twice over! Fear of the unknown and the weight of societal expectations can be overwhelming, so it's good to share our experiences and know that we're doing the best we can. Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them.

That's encouraging to hear that you're doing your best despite your marriage falling apart. The fear of the unknown future ahead, especially when there are young ones involved, is daunting. kudos to you! It's great that you're focusing on the silver linings and finding strength in your children's development despite the challenging circumstances.
It's truly a crazy ride no one could prepare us for, but here we are, doing the best we can. And that's all we can ever do - our best!

it's like learning to walk again, discovering a new normal and finding stability after a marriage ends. The fear of the unknown future is a challenge, but as parents, we have an added impetus to stay strong for our little ones, which keeps us going. Thanks for sharing; I appreciate the encouragement!

You're right about the daunting feeling - it's really not easy, managing work, household chores and being the sole provider of emotional support. But we do what we must, and our children's development gives us that extra energy when we're running on empty.
It's rewarding in ways nothing else can match to see your kids grow and learn. When you're tired and frazzled, their innocence and laughter can uplift your spirits! That's the solo parent superpower: running on coffee and children's giggles.

It's definitely a crazy ride, an adventure I never signed up for, but here we are! You're right; focusing on the positive makes it a lot easier to keep going and find new reserves of strength. Thanks for sharing; it's reassuring to have this support network!

It's a crazy adventure, this solo parenting gig. You never know what to expect, but with each struggle comes an opportunity for growth - for them and for us! Silver linings are the cherry on top. It's good to connect here with fellow solo parents who understand the unique challenges.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and cissy
As solo parents, we really do find strength in the most unexpected situations. It's a testament to human resilience! Are there any other sole parents here who started young or had multiple children to look after? That sounds like an extra challenge!

You're right about the daunting feeling - it's really not easy, managing work, household chores and being the sole provider of emotional support. But we do what we must, and our children's development gives us that extra energy when we're running on empty.
I know the struggle all too well! The balancing act between work and parenting is a delicate and tiresome one. And it's not always smooth sailing; there are many days I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water. But as you said, our little ones are a constant reminder of our strength and source of energy. It's encouraging to hear others' experiences and know we're not alone in this juggling act.

The balance between work, home duties, and emotional availability can be a challenge. It often leaves little time for self-care, which then impacts our own well-being. Do share some of the ways you keep your energy levels up and manage this demanding routine?

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That must have been incredibly difficult, grief on top of the challenge of becoming a solo parent. I imagine it's hard to manage work and parenting alone - do you have any family nearby who can help out? Or do you have a network of solo parents you've formed here locally in Singapore? The early years are definitely daunting, but it sounds like you're doing an amazing job!
Having gone through the unexpected transition into solo parenting myself, I can really empathize with how challenging - and at times, overwhelming - it can be to navigate the new normal. Thankfully, my mum lives nearby and is a great help with the kids, especially when I'm swamped with work deadlines. She's my go-to person for relief, and it's a godsend to have her close by.

There's so much responsibility on our shoulders that comes with solo parenting. The least we can do is support one another and share our experiences to make this journey a little lighter. It's encouraging to hear your determination despite the difficulties. You got this!

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That must have been incredibly difficult, grief on top of the challenge of becoming a solo parent. I imagine it's hard to manage work and parenting alone - do you have any family nearby who can help out? Or do you have a network of solo parents you've formed here locally in Singapore? The early years are definitely daunting, but it sounds like you're doing an amazing job!
No, unfortunately, I don't have any family here. My parents passed away when I was young, and I've never really been close with my extended family. I do have a few good friends who help out now and then, babysit once in a while, which is such a blessing. I've also signed up for some yoga classes organized by other moms online; it's nice to connect with like-minded individuals going through similar circumstances. Having this support system makes a huge difference!

I'm fortunate enough to have my parents and in-laws around, who step in when I need a break. They help a lot with childcare and provide much-needed support, especially during school holidays. Also, some good friends have become like family, offering assistance whenever possible. It's a real blessing to have such supportive people around me. Many solo parents might not have that luxury, so I'm trying to build connections with other mums in the same situation through online communities.

it's been tough, but my siblings help out a lot. They ensure I don't burn out, especially with my demanding job. I'm also lucky to have made good friends in the building where we live. We've grown close, and they often lend a helping hand or ear when needed. It really takes a village!

I'm happy to hear that you and your son are doing well. focusing on the positives and embracing the challenges lead to better outcomes - easier said than done, but kudos to you for making it work!
Thank you. circumstances beyond our control can be really challenging, but I suppose they say hardship builds character.

Your story sounds quite common in Singapore--a hardworking parent doing their best after the loss of a spouse. It's fortunate that you have help from your own parents, as most people here would usually seek assistance from their extended families too. Budgeting and finding that balance you mentioned are part and parcel of the struggles that solo parents face.
Yes, I think in Singapore, the cultural norm is to seek support from our extended families, which certainly helps alleviate some burden off sole parents. It's a real blessing to have help, especially when navigating the challenges of being a one-person parenting team.

While many struggle financially, others find managing time as their biggest hurdle. When you're solo, there's little room for slacking off - every aspect of parenting falls squarely on your shoulders, which can be overwhelming. You constantly juggle work and domestic duties while ensuring your child receives the attention they deserve. It's often a mad dash from school to Tuition centres or CCAs, then rushing home for homework and dinner.

And amidst all this, you try your best to maintain some semblance of self-care because you know your well-being matters too. It's exhausting, but somehow, we make it work - cup of coffee in hand, of course!

What about you? Is there anything specific you find challenging, or have you developed any survival tips over the years?

Your story sounds quite common in Singapore--a hardworking parent doing their best after the loss of a spouse. It's fortunate that you have help from your own parents, as most people here would usually seek assistance from their extended families too. Budgeting and finding that balance you mentioned are part and parcel of the struggles that solo parents face.
I think one of the harder things about being a solo parent, especially for those who've separated or divorced, is the added financial strain. Not only do we have to fulfill our parental roles, but we also take on the bulk of household management, which can be overwhelming. And as any parent will attest, children can be expensive! Between their growing needs and all the hidden costs that come with raising them, it often feels like a never-ending juggling act.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu