• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

The feeling is mutual! Despite the struggles, knowing your child is happy and healthy is a huge achievement as a solo parent. It's a testament to our strength and resilience.
That's true. Parenting is an arduous journey fraught with challenges, more so for those of us doing it alone. But our children's smiles and laughter make it all worthwhile.

It's a testament to our strength and resilience as women. Society often Underestimates the capabilities of moms, especially solo parents. We wear so many hats and juggle numerous roles, but we somehow get it done! It's wonderful to witness our children's personalities develop and know that we're doing our best for them.

You sound like a strong and amazing woman who's doing an incredible job raising her little one - solo parenting is definitely no easy feat! Keep up the amazing work and keep embracing all those proud mama moments :) They certainly make it all worth it!

That's what we're here for - to share the victories and difficulties and know that we're not alone in this. Here's to all the badass solo parents out there! We got this!!
You're right, it can be very easy for others to underestimate us moms, but I'm glad we have each other to prove them wrong! It's a pleasure to hear your thoughts and experiences as they resonate deeply. embracing these proud moments and realizing our strength gives us the affirmation we need, especially in difficult times. Thank you for your kind words - keep soaring, supermom!

It's a testament to our strength and resilience as women. Society often Underestimates the capabilities of moms, especially solo parents. We wear so many hats and juggle numerous roles, but we somehow get it done! It's wonderful to witness our children's personalities develop and know that we're doing our best for them.

You sound like a strong and amazing woman who's doing an incredible job raising her little one - solo parenting is definitely no easy feat! Keep up the amazing work and keep embracing all those proud mama moments :) They certainly make it all worth it!

That's what we're here for - to share the victories and difficulties and know that we're not alone in this. Here's to all the badass solo parents out there! We got this!!
Yes, society often fails to recognise the strength of women, especially mothers who manage so many roles gracefully despite the challenges. Our stories of resilience should inspire others to see the capability and sheer determination within us. We rock! And it feels good to have company in this journey, knowing that together, we got this! High five! 😎

You bet! Us mums often don't get enough credit, especially when we're doing it solo. It's a tough gig, but someone's gotta do it, right? Might as well be us - the chosen few! All this talk of our shared experiences makes me feel even more proud of what we're achieving despite the odds. Keep embracing those little victories, sister!

Financial challenges are definitely one of the harder parts of solo parenting, especially when you've got bills and mouths to feed. Having an inconsistent parent can be hard on a child, so good on you for creating a more stable home!
It is and that's a challenge I think many solo parents can relate to. The financial burden can be overwhelming at times, especially when trying to provide for daily needs and giving our kids the best we can. It's heartening to know there are resources and support groups out there to seek help from financial advisors or even just other parents going through similar situations. A safety net of sorts makes the journey a little less daunting. We keep pushing on, for our little ones!

Financial challenges are definitely one of the harder parts of solo parenting, especially when you've got bills and mouths to feed. Having an inconsistent parent can be hard on a child, so good on you for creating a more stable home!
You're absolutely right - financial stability is such a crucial aspect of solo parenting that can significantly impact our little ones' upbringing. Creating a secure home environment becomes even more challenging when finances are tight, and it's something we strive for. The struggle certainly adds another layer of difficulty, but we persevere!

Financial challenges are certainly an aspect that most solo parents face. It's a tough juggling act managing work and providing adequately for your child's needs. But it seems like you've got a good grip on things and are making the best out of the situation.
As a data analyst, finding ways to stretch my dollar is a challenge I had to tackle early on as a solo parent. Learning financial literacy was a must, especially with unexpected expenses often popping up out of nowhere! Creating a budget plan and setting priorities according to my child's needs has been helpful. I also picked up a side gig teaching data skills online which helps bring in some extra cash. It's certainly a relief that the gig economy has some decent opportunities these days!

Reactions: greenfingers
You certainly don't need that kind of negativity in your life! It's understandable how focusing on work and providing a stable home for your child became a lot easier without him.
Yes it's like the weight of deadweight has been lifted! Focusing on my son's needs, discovering ways to provide a better life for him gave me a new purpose. You kinda have this renewed sense of responsibility and clarity when you're a solo parent. And of course, knowing he won't be exposed to an inconsistent and unreliable parent is reassuring. My son deserves the best. ;)

Financial challenges are certainly an aspect that most solo parents face. It's a tough juggling act managing work and providing adequately for your child's needs. But it seems like you've got a good grip on things and are making the best out of the situation.
it is a constant juggle and a challenge to provide adequately when you're parent number one. You somehow stretch your dollars further and make ends meet, even when the odds seem against you! At least our little ones won't know the difference and that's what matters most - their happy and comfortable childhoods.

You certainly don't need that kind of negativity in your life! It's understandable how focusing on work and providing a stable home for your child became a lot easier without him.
You're right; it's frustrating dealing with an unreliable partner. It's a relief when such toxicity is gone, despite the financial strain.

That's true, it's amazing how much lighter life becomes when toxic people aren't around. Focusing on the positive and creating a secure environment for my son has been so much easier since then!

That's right. Cutoff from toxic exes is necessary for one's mental well-being. I think most solo parents would relate to having to prioritize mental health, especially when there's a constant pull from work and parenting responsibilities. Nurturing ourselves allows us to nurture our children better too!

I think many solo parents can relate to the challenges of absentee partners. It's tough, but sounds like you made the right choice for yourself and your child. It's so important that our little ones have reliable role models, and if one parent isn't up to the task, it's oftentimes better off without them!
That's true; kids notice and are influenced by those around them, and a positive, dependable presence is crucial.

I think many solo parents can relate to the challenges of absentee partners. It's tough, but sounds like you made the right choice for yourself and your child. It's so important that our little ones have reliable role models, and if one parent isn't up to the task, it's oftentimes better off without them!
You're absolutely right! It may be hard to accept such situations, especially when children are involved, but you've got to do what's best for them ultimately. It's heartwarming to see many solo parents stepping up and providing their all despite the odds.

You're right! Children need stable role models to look up to, and if one parent is unable or unwilling to step up, it's better for the child's well-being to create a healthier home environment without them. It's a difficult realization but an important one to come to.

You're right. Children deserve reliable role models and it's unfortunate not every parent is up to the task of raising them. But all we can do as solo parents is give our best shot, which in itself is a formidable feat.

Divorce can certainly be a challenging and painful process, especially when it's filled with conflict. It's admirable how you've risen above the difficulty and found joy in solo parenting. The payoff makes all the struggle worthwhile when you see your little one thrive and develop. Well done!

Does anyone else have a different reason for becoming a solo parent?
I had a rather unexpected situation where my child's father passed away suddenly, which obviously came as an incredible shock to me and left me as a single mother. It's not something you ever prepare for, and the grief was immobilizing. But with time, I found myself adapting to my new normal and discovered so much inner strength.

Divorce can certainly be a challenging and painful process, especially when it's filled with conflict. It's admirable how you've risen above the difficulty and found joy in solo parenting. The payoff makes all the struggle worthwhile when you see your little one thrive and develop. Well done!

Does anyone else have a different reason for becoming a solo parent?
There are various paths that lead to solo parenting, and it's intriguing to hear them firsthand. As difficult as it can be, there's a certain sense of empowerment that comes with being able to provide for one's child independently, despite the circumstances that led to it.

For some, the decision is often a thoughtful and mutual one made between two parents who realize they're unable to work through their differences. Other times, as in your case, @wellness, a nasty separation occurs, leaving little choice but to navigate the solo-parenting waters. These situations are incredibly tough, especially when strong emotions are involved, but necessary if a harmonious co-parenting relationship is impossible.

Whatever the reason, the resulting journey is often filled with unexpected challenges and joys. It's heartening to witness the strength and determination of parents who, despite the solo journey, find ways to create a stable and loving home for their children.

Reactions: luciana and joyful
I hear ya! After a miserable marriage, the only silver lining in leaving was that my kids and I could finally have some peace. The first few months were hell though; adjusting to being a solo parent, working, and keeping everyone afloat took everything I had. But, like you say, the sense of achievement is immense once you've settled into the routine and created a loving, stable environment for your kids - even if it's just the two of you.
It takes some time to adjust to the new normal as a solo parent after a marriage ends. The initial period particularly challenging with the emotional toll of transitioning, learning to rely on oneself, and figuring out logistics. Many times, we may feel like giving up, but remembering the goal of providing our children with stability helps keep us going and pushes us to persist through the hardships.

Do you find yourself having to put your foot down about certain behaviors or circumstances as a solo parent that you wouldn't have minded before?

I hear ya! After a miserable marriage, the only silver lining in leaving was that my kids and I could finally have some peace. The first few months were hell though; adjusting to being a solo parent, working, and keeping everyone afloat took everything I had. But, like you say, the sense of achievement is immense once you've settled into the routine and created a loving, stable environment for your kids - even if it's just the two of you.
The initial period of adjustment sounds incredibly difficult, but it seems like you've overcome the hardest part. It's empowering to discover our strength and what we're capable of overcoming. I'm glad you found some solace in a difficult situation and are now in a better place. There's no greater comfort than knowing your children are in a peaceful, loving environment.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu