• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'll go first! I struggle with falling asleep due to racing thoughts, so writing down my to-do lists and any thoughts on my mind helps me a lot. It acts as a brain dump and helps me feel more organized. This technique is a game-changer for me!

What are your tried and tested solutions for better sleep? Let's gather them all in one place!

I'll go first! I struggle with falling asleep due to racing thoughts, so writing down my to-do lists and any thoughts on my mind helps me a lot. It acts as a brain dump and helps me feel more organized. This technique is a game-changer for me!

What are your tried and tested solutions for better sleep? Let's gather them all in one place!
That's an excellent solution! I find that keeping a note pad and pen handy helps too, so you can quickly jot down any intrusive thoughts and not dwell on them. Having a physical notebook also helps make the act of writing more intentional and mindful.

My sleep improved drastically after I instituted a pre-bedtime routine that includes a hot shower, drinking herbal tea, and reading a physical book (not e-reader). This signal to my body that bedtime is near and helps me relax.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

Me too! Writing journals by my bedside helps to clear my head of the day's worries and plans so I can fall asleep without lying awake overthinking. Also, having a consistent sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine, and exercising earlier in the day helps too!

That's an excellent solution! I also have those nights when my mind goes into overdrive, so writing everything down before bed really helps. My list of Sleep Solutions includes maintaining a consistent sleep schedule and avoiding naps. If you must take one, limit it to 30 minutes and before 3 pm. Otherwise, the night's rest will suffer. Also, creating a relaxing bedtime routine works wonders! Draw a warm bath, read a book, do some light stretching, or listen to soothing music - anything that signals to your body that bedtime is approaching.

Reactions: greenfingers

I keep odd hours so I understand the struggle. A hot bath with Epson salt before bed works wonders to relax the body and calm racing thoughts. The tiredness after a long, hot soak helps to fall asleep faster.

That's an excellent solution! I find that keeping a note pad and pen handy helps too, so you can quickly jot down any intrusive thoughts and not dwell on them. Having a physical notebook also helps make the act of writing more intentional and mindful.
Yes! I use the Notes app on my phone to type out my thoughts when they intrude on my sleep. It's quicker than fumbling for a pen and paper in the dark, and the backlit keyboard is easy to navigate. I like how technology lets us have a digital brain dump!

I also struggle with loud thoughts, especially those repetitive song lyrics that stick and play on loop. Writing them out helps immensely, whether on paper or digitally.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yeah, that's true. Having to physically write it down makes it more real and acknowledges the thought/reminder. Then you're not trying to remember it all night! It's easier to let go of the thoughts when they're out of your head and on paper.

I agree! I also keep the lights dimmed low and some white noise on in the background - the TV with static noise does the job for me. Having a routine definitely helps too; winding down with a book or two before sleeping keeps my mind relaxed and less active.

Yup, that's right! Using a notebook and pen for brain-dumping is a tangible and efficient way to clear mental clutter. It's satisfying to physically cross off items too, which creates a sense of progress and organization. I find it particularly helpful when the thoughts are too lengthy or complex to vocalize verbally.

Reactions: cissy
Yeah, I agree that having a pen and paper helps! It's satisfying to physically write it down too; it feels like you're giving those thoughts a proper home, so they won't be running amok in your head. Also, it trains your mind to think that when you have such thoughts, you simply jot them down and continue with your sleep because you know you'll tend to them later.

Yes!! I totally agree!! There's just something about physically writing it down that helps me externalize and organize my thoughts better. Plus, it's kind of satisfying to physically cross things off my to-do list too haha!

Yup, the physicality of it helps - the sensation of pen on paper is quite comforting and signifies to your brain that you're doing something tangible to address those thoughts.

My sleep improved drastically after I instituted a pre-bedtime routine that includes a hot shower, drinking herbal tea, and reading a physical book (not e-reader). This signal to my body that bedtime is near and helps me relax.
That's an insightful solution! I can relate to the idea of a pre-bedtime routine signaling to our bodies that sleep is approaching. The hot shower and herbal tea sounds soothing, creating a sense of comfort and relaxation.

I find that avoiding screens after a certain time also helps me ease into a sleepless state. The blue light from gadgets can be stimulating, so removing that stimulation is beneficial.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
Ooh, I like the addition of a hot shower! It's amazing how these simple rituals can make such a difference. Our bodies respond well to consistent cues!

That's interesting. I've found that the type of lighting affects my sleep too. I use warm yellow lights in the evenings which gives a more relaxed ambiance compared to the cooler daylight bulbs. It creates a soothing atmosphere and helps prepare my mind for sleep.

That's an insightful point about the physical book vs e-reader; many of us are exposed to various screens before bedtime, which can be stimulating and disruptive to our sleep. I find that a cool, dark bedroom also encourages better sleep as it signals to our bodies that it's time to rest. Drawing the curtains or using room-darkening blinds can help!

Reactions: doctormama
Me too! Writing journals by my bedside helps to clear my head of the day's worries and plans so I can fall asleep without lying awake overthinking. Also, having a consistent sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine, and exercising earlier in the day helps too!
A routine is soothing for the mind and signals to our bodies that bedtime is approaching. I've found that cutting down on screen time also helps with better sleep as the blue light can be quite stimulating. Also, a tip I picked up recently is to avoid discussing heavy topics a couple of hours leading up to bedtime - this helps keep your mind clear and calm!

That's true about exercising, it's a great way to tire yourself out physically so you're ready for bed. However, I would avoid vigorous exercise too close to bedtime as it may have the opposite effect and stimulate your body instead.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Good point. Avoiding caffeine is an important one - coffee drunk past noon can interfere with sleep. And yes, exercise is a great way to improve sleep quality, but it needs to be done early in the day; otherwise, the endorphins might keep you wired when you need to wind down.

Another tip: Keep the bedroom cool, dark, and quiet. Any excess heat or noise can disrupt sleep patterns.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu