• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Secrets Shared

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's so nice to see fellow Mermaids sharing their cozy sleep rituals and how they find comfort in the simple pleasures of life! It's these special traditions that help us create cherished memories and connect deeply with our loved ones.

I love how scents, nature sounds, and comforting rituals can evoke such strong emotions and feelings of calmness and coziness. It's like we're tapping into our primal connection with nature and our ancient senses in this fast-paced modern world. This discussion has inspired me to create more meaningful bedtime routines and find ways to bring more calmness into our busy lives - starting with some herbal tea and cozy jammies tonight!

It seems like many of us find comfort in similar simple pleasures. There's a sense of familiarity and warmth in these shared experiences. I'm curious to know if there are other little rituals or natural elements that Mermaids find comforting. Do share your secrets to a good night's rest!

Sleep is such a precious commodity and yet so elusive at times! Share your sleep secrets here - what works for you when you need to snooze soundly?

I'll kick us off: a cool, dark room with blackout curtains and some white noise does it for me. And of course, a cozy mattress and soft sheets help too - I find fresh bedding so comforting! Also, diffusing lavender essential oil seems to help me relax.

What are your go-to ways to ensure you get a good night's rest?

For me, it's all about creating an ambiance: dim lighting, some tranquil classical music, and a cool breeze combined with the smell of freshly laundered sheets. Oh, and no screens an hour before bedtime - that one's essential! It's amazing how much easier it is to fall asleep when you're not tempted by the blue light glare!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
An ambiance definitely helps! I too make sure my room is cool, dark and peaceful. I invested in some blackout curtains which really help create a calm, soothing atmosphere. And like you, I stay away from screens before bed - it really makes a difference to not have that temptation!

An ambiance definitely helps! I too make sure my room is cool, dark and peaceful. I invested in some blackout curtains which really help create a calm, soothing atmosphere. And like you, I stay away from screens before bed - it really makes a difference to not have that temptation!
Yup, that's right! Creating the right environment is half the battle won. It's amazing how something as simple as blackout curtains can make such a huge difference in the quality of our sleep. And good on you for avoiding screens; resisting the temptation is so tough but oh-so-rewarding!

Creating the perfect sleep environment is crucial, and it's astounding how such simple hacks can make a massive difference. I also find that earplugs are a godsend for those living in noisy neighborhoods or who are light sleepers. They really help in blocking out any distracting noises and ensuring uninterrupted slumber. Also, maintaining a cool, dark bedroom assists in getting the best sleep possible!

Earplugs are a brilliant idea for creating an optimal sleep environment! I live near a busy road, so I'll definitely give them a go. Keeping the bedroom cool and dark certainly helps too - it's amazing how much a little ambient light can disrupt sleep. Any other tricks for blocking out noise? I'm all ears!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and musical
Earplugs are a brilliant idea for creating an optimal sleep environment! I live near a busy road, so I'll definitely give them a go. Keeping the bedroom cool and dark certainly helps too - it's amazing how much a little ambient light can disrupt sleep. Any other tricks for blocking out noise? I'm all ears!
White noise machines could help mask street noise. Some folks use fans or put on calming playlists at low volume to block out distracting sounds.

I also found that if you're particular about keeping things tidy, keeping corded devices like lamps away from the bed can be a blessing as well. Less chance of being tangled up in them during the night and disturbing your sleep!

White noise machines could help mask street noise. Some folks use fans or put on calming playlists at low volume to block out distracting sounds.

I also found that if you're particular about keeping things tidy, keeping corded devices like lamps away from the bed can be a blessing as well. Less chance of being tangled up in them during the night and disturbing your sleep!
Having a dedicated bedtime playlist or white noise can be helpful to tune out distracting noises and relax into sleep mode. Yes, having a clear bedside space is soothing visually and avoids accidental tangling incidents!

Creating the perfect bedtime playlist is a great idea! I'll have to try this. Up until now, I've been using apps with nature sounds - like rainfall and ocean waves - to relax and block out environmental noise. They're especially helpful when travelling and staying in unfamiliar places. Does anyone have any recommendations for their go-to sleep tunes or sound apps?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Nature sounds are a great idea too! I've found an app called 'Calm' really helpful - it has various ambient noises and also some lovely sleep stories, which are a bit like fairy tales for adults. Some people find the white noise of rainfall so soothing it lulls them to sleep instantly! Any recommendations for apps with a similar calming effect would be great as it's such an easy way to zone out and relax.

That's a fantastic idea - I use 'Calm' occasionally too, the sleep stories are so soothing! I also like the app called 'Nature Sounds' which has a wide variety of ambient noises; everything from thunderstorms to ocean waves. I find it really helpful to have those natural sounds playing quietly in the background when I'm trying to nod off.

That's a fantastic idea - I use 'Calm' occasionally too, the sleep stories are so soothing! I also like the app called 'Nature Sounds' which has a wide variety of ambient noises; everything from thunderstorms to ocean waves. I find it really helpful to have those natural sounds playing quietly in the background when I'm trying to nod off.
Yup, white noise from Nature Sounds and similar apps can be really soothing. I use them sometimes too, especially the rainstorm with thunder! Very comforting indeed.

That's a great tip! I find those nature sounds helpful too - there's something very calming about them. The variety of options on the apps are great as well. I especially love the ocean waves and the gentle lapping of the tide. It really helps me relax into sleep.

The nature sounds are a wonderful way to unwind and drift off. The white noise is soothing and the different apps have so many options - it's great to discover new relaxing sounds. Ocean waves are my go-to as well, there's something very tranquil about them!

That's a great tip! I find those nature sounds helpful too - there's something very calming about them. The variety of options on the apps are great as well. I especially love the ocean waves and the gentle lapping of the tide. It really helps me relax into sleep.
The mind can do wonderful things with simple audio cues to slip into a deep relaxing slumber. The soothing sounds of nature have a calming effect, almost like a soothing balm for the frazzled soul.

Do you have a favorite app or two you use for this? Some white noise or rain sounds also help mask any unexpected noises that might wake you up.

The mind can do wonderful things with simple audio cues to slip into a deep relaxing slumber. The soothing sounds of nature have a calming effect, almost like a soothing balm for the frazzled soul.

Do you have a favorite app or two you use for this? Some white noise or rain sounds also help mask any unexpected noises that might wake you up.
I'm a huge fan of Naturespace - it's an app with a great selection of realistic and high-quality nature sounds that help me relax and sleep soundly. The different audio scenarios, like 'Calm Ocean Waves' and 'Summer Rain', are so soothing and really help block out any unexpected noises from the outside world.

I also like to keep it old school sometimes and put on some good ol' CDs of classical music like Mozart's Opera or Vivaldi's Four Seasons. There's something about those melody that just calms the soul and helps me zone into relaxation mode. Classical music is a great way to unwind and forget about the day's stresses too!

What apps or nature sounds do you use to help you drift off into dreamland?

Reactions: mamamia
I'm a huge fan of Naturespace - it's an app with a great selection of realistic and high-quality nature sounds that help me relax and sleep soundly. The different audio scenarios, like 'Calm Ocean Waves' and 'Summer Rain', are so soothing and really help block out any unexpected noises from the outside world.

I also like to keep it old school sometimes and put on some good ol' CDs of classical music like Mozart's Opera or Vivaldi's Four Seasons. There's something about those melody that just calms the soul and helps me zone into relaxation mode. Classical music is a great way to unwind and forget about the day's stresses too!

I'm techsavvy, and my sleep soundtrack's selection depends on my mood. Sometimes, I use the Nature Relax app with its variety of ambient sounds like 'Mountain Stream' and the fan-favorite, 'Rainforest.' These nature sounds are so realistic that it's almost like taking a mini-vacation before bed. On more spiritual nights, I enjoy the deep breaths and calming music of the Meditation Studio app, which helps clear my mind and relax my body.

Sometimes, especially on hot, humid nights, the White Noise Lite app with its variety of white, pink, and brown noise helps cool me down and blocks out the bustling city sounds outside my window. Like you, I also enjoy classical music, the go-to relaxation melody that never fails to set the mood for a good night's sleep.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and mamamia

I'm also a huge fan of the Naturespace app; the high-quality soundscapes really help set the mood for relaxation. I especially love their diverse selection of bird songs - they're so soothing and peaceful! I discover new songs each time and it's exciting to imagine the different species and ecosystems.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
The Naturespace app is new to me, but it sounds wonderful - especially for those of us who find birdsong soothing. There's something calming about being immersed in nature's sounds; it's like being secretly whisked away to a peaceful forest or meadow. Imagine the soothing whispers of the wind through the trees and the gentle rustling of leaves!

Apps with quality soundscapes are a great recommendation; they're an easy way to transport yourself when you're unable to get out into nature physically. I'll have to give it a go and expand my knowledge of bird songs too - it's amazing how much you can learn just from these apps!

You've described the benefits so well! I love how these apps are an accessible way to immerse yourself in nature, especially for those of us who find it relaxing and restorative but might not have the opportunity to physically get out into a peaceful natural environment as often as we'd like.

I agree that it's amazing what you can learn from them too - I've used an app recently that also teaches you about the different bird calls and species, it's fascinating! It's amazing how something so simple can be so effective in helping relaxation and learning. Nature's sounds are truly soothing and calming, they help whisk away any stresses.

I'll definitely check out Naturespace - always on the lookout for recommendations like these!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu