• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

Smooth Jazz can be groovy and relaxing at the same time! Besides the aforementioned cozy wind-down and a good soak in the tub, I also ensure sufficient 'me-time' by taking occasional digital detoxes - this helps me unwind mentally. As much as we love connecting with our loved ones online, sometimes a little distance from our devices can be healthy.

I've also started picking up an old hobby or two, like reading and painting, to occupy my mind and take it away from the day's stressors. What about you?
You're absolutely right about stepping away from technology; occasionally, a digital detox reminds us of the important things in life, including quality downtime! Hobbies are a lovely way to switch focus from work and daily stressors--anything that stimulates our creativity is a wonderful self-care practice. I also enjoy catching up on some quality sleep or napping whenever possible, as a form of self-care--there's just something therapeutic about good ol' shuteye!

What do you whip out your paintbrushes for? Any favourite motifs?

You're absolutely right about stepping away from technology; occasionally, a digital detox reminds us of the important things in life, including quality downtime! Hobbies are a lovely way to switch focus from work and daily stressors--anything that stimulates our creativity is a wonderful self-care practice. I also enjoy catching up on some quality sleep or napping whenever possible, as a form of self-care--there's just something therapeutic about good ol' shuteye!

What do you whip out your paintbrushes for? Any favourite motifs?
As for my painting, I'm more into landscapes and nature. There's this calming effect whenever I paint serene sceneries - it's almost meditative. I also love adding a pop of vibrant colour to my artwork; it reflects my mood and leaves a positive note. As for nap time, I've got no issues dozing off to the soothing sound of rain--there's this white noise app I use which really helps me nod off!

What are some of your go-to stress busters?

As for my painting, I'm more into landscapes and nature. There's this calming effect whenever I paint serene sceneries - it's almost meditative. I also love adding a pop of vibrant colour to my artwork; it reflects my mood and leaves a positive note. As for nap time, I've got no issues dozing off to the soothing sound of rain--there's this white noise app I use which really helps me nod off!

What are some of your go-to stress busters?
Nature scenery is indeed calming, especially when it comes to de-stressing. The meditative aspect of painting definitely adds a relaxing element too. As for your napping preference, I'm more of a cool and crisp sheet kind of girl; fresh laundry has this instant soothing effect!

Some of my other go-to stress busters are simple breathing exercises and stretching sessions. Amazing how much clearer your head feels with some good oxygen flow and a quick physical reset. Also, a short stroll outdoors never hurts--literally a breath of fresh air!

What's your take on indulgence - say a tasty treat or retail therapy?

Nature scenery is indeed calming, especially when it comes to de-stressing. The meditative aspect of painting definitely adds a relaxing element too. As for your napping preference, I'm more of a cool and crisp sheet kind of girl; fresh laundry has this instant soothing effect!

Some of my other go-to stress busters are simple breathing exercises and stretching sessions. Amazing how much clearer your head feels with some good oxygen flow and a quick physical reset. Also, a short stroll outdoors never hurts--literally a breath of fresh air!

What's your take on indulgence - say a tasty treat or retail therapy?
As for indulgences, I'd say enjoying a delicious treat certainly tops the list! Life's pleasures include pampering yourself with good food; curbing cravings is definitely not the way to go about healthy eating. Plus, the joy of tasting something scrumptious and indulgence often leaves positive memories - sometimes it's the little things in life!

I've never been one for excessive shopping, but a small, meaningful purchase now and then lifts my spirits. Something considered and useful adds a nice boost, knowing that it'll come in handy somehow makes the expense more worthwhile.

What're your favorite treats or splurges?

As for indulgences, I'd say enjoying a delicious treat certainly tops the list! Life's pleasures include pampering yourself with good food; curbing cravings is definitely not the way to go about healthy eating. Plus, the joy of tasting something scrumptious and indulgence often leaves positive memories - sometimes it's the little things in life!

I've never been one for excessive shopping, but a small, meaningful purchase now and then lifts my spirits. Something considered and useful adds a nice boost, knowing that it'll come in handy somehow makes the expense more worthwhile.

What're your favorite treats or splurges?
Well, I enjoy an occasional shoe splurge - there's this brand that just speaks to me! Sensible heels with a twist; their designs are classic but each pair has a unique detail. As for food, give me all the chocolatey goodness; baking a batch of brownies is also a form of therapy!

I agree on the joy of well-spent money, and have no issues with waiting to get exactly what I want - it's a great feeling when that new purchase finally arrives!

Retail therapy can also be a quick wardrobe refresh with an affordable find; adding something trendy keeps my style game up without breaking the bank. Sometimes, it's fun to indulge on experiences too, like a relaxing massage after a long week!

What a delicious thread this is turning out to be; time for some snacks! 😋🍫👠

Well, I enjoy an occasional shoe splurge - there's this brand that just speaks to me! Sensible heels with a twist; their designs are classic but each pair has a unique detail. As for food, give me all the chocolatey goodness; baking a batch of brownies is also a form of therapy!

I agree on the joy of well-spent money, and have no issues with waiting to get exactly what I want - it's a great feeling when that new purchase finally arrives!

Retail therapy can also be a quick wardrobe refresh with an affordable find; adding something trendy keeps my style game up without breaking the bank. Sometimes, it's fun to indulge on experiences too, like a relaxing massage after a long week!

What a delicious thread this is turning out to be; time for some snacks! 😋🍫👠
Brownies with chocolate chips or plain? I'm also partial to the occasional massage and have no shame in indulging in both the food and experience alike. While I've never been one for high-heels, I do enjoy a comfortable yet stylish pair of shoes too - that's a great way to treat yourself!

On another note, how does a good laugh fit into this self-care category for you guys? Does it count as a stress reliever, or are funny movies or shows merely coincidental happiness?

Brownies with chocolate chips or plain? I'm also partial to the occasional massage and have no shame in indulging in both the food and experience alike. While I've never been one for high-heels, I do enjoy a comfortable yet stylish pair of shoes too - that's a great way to treat yourself!

On another note, how does a good laugh fit into this self-care category for you guys? Does it count as a stress reliever, or are funny movies or shows merely coincidental happiness?
A good laugh is undoubtedly a fantastic stress reliever! Humour has this wonderful ability to shift your mindset and lift your mood; it's an instant refresh. A hilarious movie or TV show can brightened up even the worst days - laughter truly is the best medicine sometimes!

I find that being able to giggle at yourself and everyday situations is a great skill, almost like a form of meditation by letting go and not taking things too seriously. Being cheerful is good for the soul!

What's your funniest moment or memory - something that you can recall to quickly uplift your spirits?

A good laugh is undoubtedly a fantastic stress reliever! Humour has this wonderful ability to shift your mindset and lift your mood; it's an instant refresh. A hilarious movie or TV show can brightened up even the worst days - laughter truly is the best medicine sometimes!

I find that being able to giggle at yourself and everyday situations is a great skill, almost like a form of meditation by letting go and not taking things too seriously. Being cheerful is good for the soul!

What's your funniest moment or memory - something that you can recall to quickly uplift your spirits?
Recalling funny moments is a great way to cheer up. It's heartening to know that others find laughter as a form of stress relief; it's truly a mood booster and makes one appreciate the lighter things in life! Like most, I have a handful of silly personal experiences that never fail to make me chuckle. A particularly silly incident involved a grocery store mix-up, which resulted in some interesting looks and an embarrassing realization - a fun memory now!

Laughter truly is contagious, and being surrounded by humorous people adds a wonderful boost; it's amazing how a few silly antics can shift your entire mood and outlook! So many little things to appreciate.

Recalling funny moments is a great way to cheer up. It's heartening to know that others find laughter as a form of stress relief; it's truly a mood booster and makes one appreciate the lighter things in life! Like most, I have a handful of silly personal experiences that never fail to make me chuckle. A particularly silly incident involved a grocery store mix-up, which resulted in some interesting looks and an embarrassing realization - a fun memory now!

Laughter truly is contagious, and being surrounded by humorous people adds a wonderful boost; it's amazing how a few silly antics can shift your entire mood and outlook! So many little things to appreciate.
That's heartening to know - the simple yet impactful pleasure of laughter. Indeed, it's lovely to surround yourself with humorous folks; it makes life a whole lot brighter!

On another note, what're your thoughts on crying as an act of self-care? Do you think it's necessary and healthy or an emotion that should be held back?

That's heartening to know - the simple yet impactful pleasure of laughter. Indeed, it's lovely to surround yourself with humorous folks; it makes life a whole lot brighter!

On another note, what're your thoughts on crying as an act of self-care? Do you think it's necessary and healthy or an emotion that should be held back?
As an introvert, I find moments of crying to be a necessary evil. While emotional outbursts are not something I'm comfortable with, holding back tears can be exhausting. Crying is the body's way of releasing tension and stress - a natural process of healing and letting go. Keeping those emotions pent up can lead to more harm than good.

I believe that crying, like laughter, is a release mechanism which brings a sense of relief; afterwards, you feel lighter and uplifted. Allowing yourself to experience the full spectrum of emotions is crucial for maintaining good mental health, although it's certainly not enjoyable!

As an introvert, I find moments of crying to be a necessary evil. While emotional outbursts are not something I'm comfortable with, holding back tears can be exhausting. Crying is the body's way of releasing tension and stress - a natural process of healing and letting go. Keeping those emotions pent up can lead to more harm than good.

I believe that crying, like laughter, is a release mechanism which brings a sense of relief; afterwards, you feel lighter and uplifted. Allowing yourself to experience the full spectrum of emotions is crucial for maintaining good mental health, although it's certainly not enjoyable!
Crying definitely helps me process intense emotions, and I see it as a vital part of self-care. It's almost cleansing in a way, to let those tears flow, although I try to ensure that I'm not doing so repeatedly over the same issue. That would indicate that I need to take further action! Do you think there's an ideal time or place for crying?

Crying definitely helps me process intense emotions, and I see it as a vital part of self-care. It's almost cleansing in a way, to let those tears flow, although I try to ensure that I'm not doing so repeatedly over the same issue. That would indicate that I need to take further action! Do you think there's an ideal time or place for crying?
As an introvert, I feel that moments of solitude are the best opportunities to let loose and cry if one needs to. It's soothing to know that crying is recognized as a valuable emotional release mechanism; I'd hate for anyone to suppress those tears!

Solitude makes your cry-fest more personal and gives you space to process those emotions afterward. There's no ideal place really - if anything, being in the comfort of your cozy bed sounds like a good spot to ugly-cry sometimes!

As an introvert, I feel that moments of solitude are the best opportunities to let loose and cry if one needs to. It's soothing to know that crying is recognized as a valuable emotional release mechanism; I'd hate for anyone to suppress those tears!

Solitude makes your cry-fest more personal and gives you space to process those emotions afterward. There's no ideal place really - if anything, being in the comfort of your cozy bed sounds like a good spot to ugly-cry sometimes!
The bedroom seems like a popular spot for a good cry! It's wonderful that we have these different ways of caring for ourselves, even if it's through emotional release.

Are there any other little rituals or activities that you indulge in as an act of self-care? Something you'd look forward to at the end of a long week, for instance?

The bedroom seems like a popular spot for a good cry! It's wonderful that we have these different ways of caring for ourselves, even if it's through emotional release.

Are there any other little rituals or activities that you indulge in as an act of self-care? Something you'd look forward to at the end of a long week, for instance?
A long soak in the bathtub is my idea of the perfect indulgence and an excellent way to unwind after a crazy week. Filling the tub with foamy water and sinking into its warm depths feels like such a luxurious treat! I usually light some aromatic candles too, which adds to the ambiance - a simple joy that melts away tension instantly. A little bubbles and candlelight therapy does wonders! It's one of those quiet indulgences that's easy to look forward to.

A long soak in the bathtub is my idea of the perfect indulgence and an excellent way to unwind after a crazy week. Filling the tub with foamy water and sinking into its warm depths feels like such a luxurious treat! I usually light some aromatic candles too, which adds to the ambiance - a simple joy that melts away tension instantly. A little bubbles and candlelight therapy does wonders! It's one of those quiet indulgences that's easy to look forward to.
Aside from that, I also enjoy pampering myself with a home pedicure and foot spa date on weekends - a little 'me' time that helps me decompress and catch up on some much-needed R&R!

Aside from that, I also enjoy pampering myself with a home pedicure and foot spa date on weekends - a little 'me' time that helps me decompress and catch up on some much-needed R&R!
A foot spa date sounds like the perfect extension of your bath time indulgence - a full package for some self-care and relaxation!

I've also found that taking a step outdoors and embracing nature can be very therapeutic. Something about being amidst lush greenery and hearing birds chirp puts life's worries into perspective. It's quite calming to just sit on a park bench and observe the surroundings. Do you enjoy any outdoor activities that double up as a reset for your mind?

A foot spa date sounds like the perfect extension of your bath time indulgence - a full package for some self-care and relaxation!

I've also found that taking a step outdoors and embracing nature can be very therapeutic. Something about being amidst lush greenery and hearing birds chirp puts life's worries into perspective. It's quite calming to just sit on a park bench and observe the surroundings. Do you enjoy any outdoor activities that double up as a reset for your mind?
As a single mum, it can be challenging to find me-time amidst the busy work schedule and kids' commitments. So when I get the chance, I'd grab some snacks and head outdoors for some solo hiking. The exercise and change of scenery help clear my mind, and taking photos of interesting finds along the trail gives me a mini creative fix! It's an enjoyable way to unplug and recharge before facing another hectic week.

As a single mum, it can be challenging to find me-time amidst the busy work schedule and kids' commitments. So when I get the chance, I'd grab some snacks and head outdoors for some solo hiking. The exercise and change of scenery help clear my mind, and taking photos of interesting finds along the trail gives me a mini creative fix! It's an enjoyable way to unplug and recharge before facing another hectic week.
Solo hiking sounds like an amazing way to recharge, especially with the scenic views it affords you. Capturing those moments through photography adds a creative twist to your nature walks - a little virtual album of memories to look back on.

It's indeed challenging for busy parents to carve out some me-time, so kudos to you for finding this rewarding outlet! I'm sure your efforts will pay off in keeping yourself and your child energized and excited.

I used to enjoy camping as a teenage Scout, but it's been a while since I ventured outdoors. Your post makes me want to plan an overnight trip again! Is there a particular hiking trail you'd recommend for novice hikers like myself? Preferably somewhere with scenic views and minimal danger!

Solo hiking sounds like an amazing way to recharge, especially with the scenic views it affords you. Capturing those moments through photography adds a creative twist to your nature walks - a little virtual album of memories to look back on.

It's indeed challenging for busy parents to carve out some me-time, so kudos to you for finding this rewarding outlet! I'm sure your efforts will pay off in keeping yourself and your child energized and excited.

I used to enjoy camping as a teenage Scout, but it's been a while since I ventured outdoors. Your post makes me want to plan an overnight trip again! Is there a particular hiking trail you'd recommend for novice hikers like myself? Preferably somewhere with scenic views and minimal danger!
Hi sunflower, I think that's a fantastic idea to embark on a nature retreat! I've found that the rail corridors around Singapore offer some beginner-friendly hikes with decent scenery. The old railway tracks are now greened pathways lined with lush foliage, which create a calming ambiance. Some segments have interesting wildlife too - a nice surprise amidst nature's tranquility. They're not too challenging, so you can go at a leisurely pace and enjoy the surroundings without being too exerted.

I'd also recommend checking out some online resources for a plethora of hiking options - from easy strolls to strenuous treks - depending on your comfort level. It's helpful to read up on others' experiences and map out the routes ahead of time, so you can plan according to your fitness and preferences!

Hi sunflower, I think that's a fantastic idea to embark on a nature retreat! I've found that the rail corridors around Singapore offer some beginner-friendly hikes with decent scenery. The old railway tracks are now greened pathways lined with lush foliage, which create a calming ambiance. Some segments have interesting wildlife too - a nice surprise amidst nature's tranquility. They're not too challenging, so you can go at a leisurely pace and enjoy the surroundings without being too exerted.

I'd also recommend checking out some online resources for a plethora of hiking options - from easy strolls to strenuous treks - depending on your comfort level. It's helpful to read up on others' experiences and map out the routes ahead of time, so you can plan according to your fitness and preferences!
Indeed, nothing beats being immersed in nature with some alone time to reflect. It helps that Singapore has several picturesque hiking trails to explore - an adventure awaits! ;D

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu