• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your go-to self-care strategies that help you maintain good mental health?

I'll share a few of mine to get the ball rolling:

- Taking regular walks, especially in nature. There's something about being surrounded by trees and hearing the birds sing that helps me feel calm and centered.

- I'm a big fan of journaling. It helps me process my thoughts and feelings, and I often find clarity after writing things down.

- Mindful breathing is another favorite strategy. Taking a few minutes to focus on my breath helps me slow down and ground myself when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

- Indulging in some self-care treats is also necessary sometimes - a warm bubble bath, a good book, or a delicious cup of tea can do wonders for my mood.

What about you? What are your strategies for taking care of yourself? I'd love to hear everyone's ideas!

What are some of your go-to self-care strategies that help you maintain good mental health?

I'll share a few of mine to get the ball rolling:

- Taking regular walks, especially in nature. There's something about being surrounded by trees and hearing the birds sing that helps me feel calm and centered.

- I'm a big fan of journaling. It helps me process my thoughts and feelings, and I often find clarity after writing things down.

- Mindful breathing is another favorite strategy. Taking a few minutes to focus on my breath helps me slow down and ground myself when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

- Indulging in some self-care treats is also necessary sometimes - a warm bubble bath, a good book, or a delicious cup of tea can do wonders for my mood.

What about you? What are your strategies for taking care of yourself? I'd love to hear everyone's ideas!
Nature walks and journaling sound like excellent mental self-care practices! I particularly agree with the benefits of being amidst nature; there's a certain calming effect hearing the rustling leaves and seeing the lush greenery offers. It's a peaceful reminder of the beauty in simplicity.

I'm also a firm believer in the restorative powers of indulgence through the five senses: A sensory self-care treat of a luxurious bubble massage, an intriguing plot that immerses you into a fictional world, or the comforting aroma of a cuppa tea infuses some much-needed nurturing.

Maintaining a consistent exercise routine also forms a significant aspect of my holistic well-being. Sweating it out at the gym releases endorphins and lets me clear my head. As an extrovert, catching up with friends for heart-to-hearts and laughs over meals is another form of emotional nourishment I indulge in.

These strategies help me maintain a balanced perspective on life, reminding me to cherish the present and navigate towards good mental fortitude. What about you? Do you lean toward physical or emotional outlets for your self-care?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Nature walks and journaling sound like excellent mental self-care practices! I particularly agree with the benefits of being amidst nature; there's a certain calming effect hearing the rustling leaves and seeing the lush greenery offers. It's a peaceful reminder of the beauty in simplicity.

I'm also a firm believer in the restorative powers of indulgence through the five senses: A sensory self-care treat of a luxurious bubble massage, an intriguing plot that immerses you into a fictional world, or the comforting aroma of a cuppa tea infuses some much-needed nurturing.

Maintaining a consistent exercise routine also forms a significant aspect of my holistic well-being. Sweating it out at the gym releases endorphins and lets me clear my head. As an extrovert, catching up with friends for heart-to-hearts and laughs over meals is another form of emotional nourishment I indulge in.

These strategies help me maintain a balanced perspective on life, reminding me to cherish the present and navigate towards good mental fortitude. What about you? Do you lean toward physical or emotional outlets for your self-care?
I find that maintaining a balanced diet and a good night's rest helps me to better manage stress and keep anxiety at bay, which forms a crucial part of my holistic self-care routine.

Sticking to whole foods and preparing my meals provides solace in the certainty that I'm nourishing my body right. Getting seven to eight hours of sleep allows me to greet each morning with a fresh mind, and a good rest also does wonders for my mood and energy levels.

When I feel a cold approaching, or when I'm especially run down, I'll take extra care by upping my vitamin C intake and brewing herbal teas with ginger and lemon - a comforting remedy that makes me feel nurtured and hopeful.

These fundamental yet impactful practices sometimes get overlooked in the hustle of life, but they are anchoring pillars that keep me sane and grounded. What are some of your everyday health essentials?

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
I find that maintaining a balanced diet and a good night's rest helps me to better manage stress and keep anxiety at bay, which forms a crucial part of my holistic self-care routine.

Sticking to whole foods and preparing my meals provides solace in the certainty that I'm nourishing my body right. Getting seven to eight hours of sleep allows me to greet each morning with a fresh mind, and a good rest also does wonders for my mood and energy levels.

When I feel a cold approaching, or when I'm especially run down, I'll take extra care by upping my vitamin C intake and brewing herbal teas with ginger and lemon - a comforting remedy that makes me feel nurtured and hopeful.

These fundamental yet impactful practices sometimes get overlooked in the hustle of life, but they are anchoring pillars that keep me sane and grounded. What are some of your everyday health essentials?
You're absolutely right about the fundamentals; sometimes, we just need to take a step back and ensure we're ticked those boxes!

I find solace in simple pleasures - having a good laugh with my kids, usually involving some silliness and often at our shared expense. We also love snuggling up together with some hot chocolate and a movie, especially on rainy days. These moments help me press pause and appreciate the simplicity of just being together.

Traveling resetting my perspective, getting away from the daily grind, exploring new places, and immersing myself in different cultures helps me gain a broader outlook. Even a short weekend getaway can make a world of difference, returning with a renewed sense of purpose and gratitude for life's adventures.

I also recently started practicing gratitude journaling, which has been quite impactful in shifting my perspective towards the positive. It's amazing how focusing on the good can make a difference in one's attitude towards life!

These are just some ways I've been focusing on holistic care; it's an ever-evolving journey of discovery! Do share more of your strategies--I'm keen to learn more about how others recharge their batteries! :)

You're absolutely right about the fundamentals; sometimes, we just need to take a step back and ensure we're ticked those boxes!

I find solace in simple pleasures - having a good laugh with my kids, usually involving some silliness and often at our shared expense. We also love snuggling up together with some hot chocolate and a movie, especially on rainy days. These moments help me press pause and appreciate the simplicity of just being together.

Traveling resetting my perspective, getting away from the daily grind, exploring new places, and immersing myself in different cultures helps me gain a broader outlook. Even a short weekend getaway can make a world of difference, returning with a renewed sense of purpose and gratitude for life's adventures.

I also recently started practicing gratitude journaling, which has been quite impactful in shifting my perspective towards the positive. It's amazing how focusing on the good can make a difference in one's attitude towards life!

These are just some ways I've been focusing on holistic care; it's an ever-evolving journey of discovery! Do share more of your strategies--I'm keen to learn more about how others recharge their batteries! :)
The way you described your strategy made me realise that self-care activities often can be the simplest things that bring us joy. It need not be elaborate or expensive. Just like how travel resets your perspective, I find that trying something new can also have a similar effect and contribute to our personal growth.

I'm glad you mentioned gratitude journaling! It's amazing how something so straightforward can make such a significant difference in our overall attitude and appreciation of what we have. I've been making it a point to note down three things I'm grateful for every night before I sleep, and it's a lovely way to remind myself of life's many blessings and end my day on a positive note.

It's also encouraging to see you prioritising self-care despite being a busy parent. It can be challenging to find the energy and time for ourselves with young children demanding our attention, but I think it's so crucial for our wellbeing and sets a healthy example for our kids to see us taking care of ourselves too!

I'm keen to know too - especially quick and easy ways to recharge or reset when time is often a luxury!

The way you described your strategy made me realise that self-care activities often can be the simplest things that bring us joy. It need not be elaborate or expensive. Just like how travel resets your perspective, I find that trying something new can also have a similar effect and contribute to our personal growth.

I'm glad you mentioned gratitude journaling! It's amazing how something so straightforward can make such a significant difference in our overall attitude and appreciation of what we have. I've been making it a point to note down three things I'm grateful for every night before I sleep, and it's a lovely way to remind myself of life's many blessings and end my day on a positive note.

It's also encouraging to see you prioritising self-care despite being a busy parent. It can be challenging to find the energy and time for ourselves with young children demanding our attention, but I think it's so crucial for our wellbeing and sets a healthy example for our kids to see us taking care of ourselves too!

I'm keen to know too - especially quick and easy ways to recharge or reset when time is often a luxury!
You're right; trying something new can be exciting and eye-opening, a fun way to discover new interests and passions! I've found that exploring simple hobbies like painting, gardening, or even learning a new language can be an enjoyable way to switch gears and embrace something novel in our daily routines.

As for quick energy boosters, I'm fond of short, intense workouts that squeeze the most out of little time. Quick cardio sessions, 10-minute yoga routines, or even just some good stretching feel like instant pick-me-ups, getting the endorphins going and leaving me refreshed, especially when done outdoors!

Being a mom means we're often pulled in different directions, so it's essential to find ways to recharge, however briefly! I'm curious about the gratitude journal too; seems like a lovely ritual to wind down and reflect. Would love to hear more about the impact it's had on you :)

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
You're right; trying something new can be exciting and eye-opening, a fun way to discover new interests and passions! I've found that exploring simple hobbies like painting, gardening, or even learning a new language can be an enjoyable way to switch gears and embrace something novel in our daily routines.

As for quick energy boosters, I'm fond of short, intense workouts that squeeze the most out of little time. Quick cardio sessions, 10-minute yoga routines, or even just some good stretching feel like instant pick-me-ups, getting the endorphins going and leaving me refreshed, especially when done outdoors!

Being a mom means we're often pulled in different directions, so it's essential to find ways to recharge, however briefly! I'm curious about the gratitude journal too; seems like a lovely ritual to wind down and reflect. Would love to hear more about the impact it's had on you :)
Indeed, it's impressive how parents can still find ways to prioritise self-care amidst the demanding responsibilities of raising children. It's heartening to witness your commitment to holistic wellness, ensuring that your wellbeing is also taken care of.

The gratitude journal has been a real revelation for me; it's amazing how such a subtle practice can subtly shift my mindset and perspective towards the brighter side of life. I find myself becoming more attuned to the positive aspects of each day - from little delights like a beautiful sunset or a kind gesture from a stranger to the more significant blessings in life. It fosters a sense of contentment and gratitude, which is so vital in staying grounded despite the daily challenges we face.

I also love how your simple hobby suggestions remind us that self-care can be accessible and straightforward - it need not be elaborate or expensive! It's inspiring to hear how you're managing, especially with limited time.

Perhaps this thread could be a space where we can share more quick, simple yet impactful ways to take care of ourselves. Would love to hear more tips on how others recharge; the more, the merrier, and hopefully, we can all discover new tricks to stay energised!

Indeed, it's impressive how parents can still find ways to prioritise self-care amidst the demanding responsibilities of raising children. It's heartening to witness your commitment to holistic wellness, ensuring that your wellbeing is also taken care of.

The gratitude journal has been a real revelation for me; it's amazing how such a subtle practice can subtly shift my mindset and perspective towards the brighter side of life. I find myself becoming more attuned to the positive aspects of each day - from little delights like a beautiful sunset or a kind gesture from a stranger to the more significant blessings in life. It fosters a sense of contentment and gratitude, which is so vital in staying grounded despite the daily challenges we face.

I also love how your simple hobby suggestions remind us that self-care can be accessible and straightforward - it need not be elaborate or expensive! It's inspiring to hear how you're managing, especially with limited time.

Perhaps this thread could be a space where we can share more quick, simple yet impactful ways to take care of ourselves. Would love to hear more tips on how others recharge; the more, the merrier, and hopefully, we can all discover new tricks to stay energised!
Yeah, it's fantastic that you're bringing attention to the positive impact gratitude journaling has had on you. It's fascinating how something so simple can have such a profound knock-on effect in our overall mindset and wellbeing. As you've shared, it's often the little things that we tend to overlook, which can brighten up our day and put life's troubles in perspective.

Keeping a record of the good moments is indeed a lovely way to appreciate the present and remain hopeful for the future too. Especially during trying times, it helps us realise that difficult seasons eventually pass and clearer skies await.

On the topic of novel hobbies, I'm curious: have you kept up with any of these new interests, or were they more of a fleeting fancy? It made me ponder the things we try, and often leave behind once the shine wears off! It's easy to get caught up in daily routines and forget the excitement of exploring something fresh and unfamiliar.

As for quick tips - drinking lots of herbal tea keeps me going through the day, plus some deep breathing exercises when I'm feeling sluggish. Wishing everyone a relaxing evening and a peaceful night's rest ahead!

Yeah, it's fantastic that you're bringing attention to the positive impact gratitude journaling has had on you. It's fascinating how something so simple can have such a profound knock-on effect in our overall mindset and wellbeing. As you've shared, it's often the little things that we tend to overlook, which can brighten up our day and put life's troubles in perspective.

Keeping a record of the good moments is indeed a lovely way to appreciate the present and remain hopeful for the future too. Especially during trying times, it helps us realise that difficult seasons eventually pass and clearer skies await.

On the topic of novel hobbies, I'm curious: have you kept up with any of these new interests, or were they more of a fleeting fancy? It made me ponder the things we try, and often leave behind once the shine wears off! It's easy to get caught up in daily routines and forget the excitement of exploring something fresh and unfamiliar.

As for quick tips - drinking lots of herbal tea keeps me going through the day, plus some deep breathing exercises when I'm feeling sluggish. Wishing everyone a relaxing evening and a peaceful night's rest ahead!
I've had my fair share of fleeting fancies! Trying out new things has never been an issue for me; it's committing to them long-term that seems harder. Like many others, I think the excitement of beginning something new is captivating, but sustaining interest can be a real challenge amidst our busy lives.

I've realised that setting realistic goals and ensuring they align with my passions and interests keeps me engaged longer. For instance, I loved the feeling of accomplishment after trying paint-by-numbers art recently. Even if I'm not inherently skilled at painting, the guided nature of the hobby allowed me to produce something decently aesthetically pleasing! It gave me a sense of achievement, and the relaxing aspect of mindful colouring was a plus point too. So, I'm keen on exploring more beginner-friendly art forms or crafts that offer a similar experience.

As for gratitude journaling, it's become a dear practice that I don't see myself giving up anytime soon. The mental benefits are too good to pass up! It's interesting how keeping a record of grateful moments makes me more observant of the goodness around me and shifts my focus away from the negative.

Herbal tea and deep breathing exercises are fantastic pick-me-ups; I might add those into my evening routine! I've also recently started taking cooler showers in the mornings, which are amazingly invigorating when you're feeling sluggish. Not to mention, it's a great way to shock your system awake without jolting yourself with iced coffee or an energy drink!

Let's keep sharing these gems; they're such simple yet impactful ways to improve our daily lives. You guys have so many good ideas!

I've had my fair share of fleeting fancies! Trying out new things has never been an issue for me; it's committing to them long-term that seems harder. Like many others, I think the excitement of beginning something new is captivating, but sustaining interest can be a real challenge amidst our busy lives.

I've realised that setting realistic goals and ensuring they align with my passions and interests keeps me engaged longer. For instance, I loved the feeling of accomplishment after trying paint-by-numbers art recently. Even if I'm not inherently skilled at painting, the guided nature of the hobby allowed me to produce something decently aesthetically pleasing! It gave me a sense of achievement, and the relaxing aspect of mindful colouring was a plus point too. So, I'm keen on exploring more beginner-friendly art forms or crafts that offer a similar experience.

As for gratitude journaling, it's become a dear practice that I don't see myself giving up anytime soon. The mental benefits are too good to pass up! It's interesting how keeping a record of grateful moments makes me more observant of the goodness around me and shifts my focus away from the negative.

Herbal tea and deep breathing exercises are fantastic pick-me-ups; I might add those into my evening routine! I've also recently started taking cooler showers in the mornings, which are amazingly invigorating when you're feeling sluggish. Not to mention, it's a great way to shock your system awake without jolting yourself with iced coffee or an energy drink!

Let's keep sharing these gems; they're such simple yet impactful ways to improve our daily lives. You guys have so many good ideas!
The cooler showers in the morning sound intriguing! I've always found it comforting and almost therapeutic to embrace a cold shower, especially after a long day or an intense workout session - there's just something rejuvenating about it. And I agree, setting realistic goals is an essential factor in maintaining momentum with any new interest. Often, we forget that it's the process of learning and exploring that should be enjoyable rather than reaching some distant, often unrealistic, outcome. Having said that, paint-by-numbers sounds like a fun way to ease into art and unlock your creativity!

I'm curious if there are any other little acts that bring you ladies joy and help you recharge? And also, do you have any recommendations for good herbal teas out there? I've been reaching for the same old peppermint and chamomile variations, so I'd love some new suggestions!

The cooler showers in the morning sound intriguing! I've always found it comforting and almost therapeutic to embrace a cold shower, especially after a long day or an intense workout session - there's just something rejuvenating about it. And I agree, setting realistic goals is an essential factor in maintaining momentum with any new interest. Often, we forget that it's the process of learning and exploring that should be enjoyable rather than reaching some distant, often unrealistic, outcome. Having said that, paint-by-numbers sounds like a fun way to ease into art and unlock your creativity!

I'm curious if there are any other little acts that bring you ladies joy and help you recharge? And also, do you have any recommendations for good herbal teas out there? I've been reaching for the same old peppermint and chamomile variations, so I'd love some new suggestions!
Ooh, herbal tea recommendations sound like a lovely topic to dive into! I typically go for something zesty and refreshing like lemon or ginger teas. They have such a bright, uplifting flavour that perks me right up. Recently, I've been into this locally made blend with lemongrass and mint - it's super refreshing and great for an afternoon pick-me-up without the caffeine kick.

For a cozy evening brew, rooibos tea with vanilla and honey is another favourite. It has this natural sweetness that feels so comforting. I usually drink it without milk or sugar, but it's also delicious as a more indulgent, creamy treat. Plus, it's jam-packed with antioxidants, so you're doing your body good!

As for feel-good activities, I love a good yoga session to stretch out my muscles and calm my mind. I've always struggled with meditation, so yoga's physicality is a great way for me to ease into that mindset. Taking time to slow down and focus on my breath is such a lovely mental reset. And of course, a good old dance session to some 80s grooves never fails to lift my mood - it's impossible to feel down while jamming out! Not sure if anyone else relates, but do share any fun routines or tea suggestions you guys have; they're the little things that can make such a difference!

Ooh, herbal tea recommendations sound like a lovely topic to dive into! I typically go for something zesty and refreshing like lemon or ginger teas. They have such a bright, uplifting flavour that perks me right up. Recently, I've been into this locally made blend with lemongrass and mint - it's super refreshing and great for an afternoon pick-me-up without the caffeine kick.

For a cozy evening brew, rooibos tea with vanilla and honey is another favourite. It has this natural sweetness that feels so comforting. I usually drink it without milk or sugar, but it's also delicious as a more indulgent, creamy treat. Plus, it's jam-packed with antioxidants, so you're doing your body good!

As for feel-good activities, I love a good yoga session to stretch out my muscles and calm my mind. I've always struggled with meditation, so yoga's physicality is a great way for me to ease into that mindset. Taking time to slow down and focus on my breath is such a lovely mental reset. And of course, a good old dance session to some 80s grooves never fails to lift my mood - it's impossible to feel down while jamming out! Not sure if anyone else relates, but do share any fun routines or tea suggestions you guys have; they're the little things that can make such a difference!
Lemongrass and mint tea sounds amazing! I love anything with mint, so cool and refreshing.

I'm a big fan of yoga too; it's my go-to when I need some ME time. I've found that stretching and taking a few moments to really tune inwards helps me feel more centered and present. And like you, I love how yoga guides me into a more meditative mindset. I should make more time for it!

On the tea front, I'm keen on trying rooibos blends after your recommendation. The vanilla and honey flavor sounds delightful for a cozy evening in. I also hear great things about matcha but have yet to acquire a taste for it - any fans of matcha tea here? Seems like a powerful beverage with lots of health benefits!

As for feel-good, quick activities, sunshine and fresh air are instant mood-boosters. Stepping out for a few minutes, even if it's just to sit on a bench in the park, can brighten up my day. There's something so rejuvenating about being amidst nature, even if it's just a pocket garden near your home.

Lemongrass and mint tea sounds amazing! I love anything with mint, so cool and refreshing.

I'm a big fan of yoga too; it's my go-to when I need some ME time. I've found that stretching and taking a few moments to really tune inwards helps me feel more centered and present. And like you, I love how yoga guides me into a more meditative mindset. I should make more time for it!

On the tea front, I'm keen on trying rooibos blends after your recommendation. The vanilla and honey flavor sounds delightful for a cozy evening in. I also hear great things about matcha but have yet to acquire a taste for it - any fans of matcha tea here? Seems like a powerful beverage with lots of health benefits!

As for feel-good, quick activities, sunshine and fresh air are instant mood-boosters. Stepping out for a few minutes, even if it's just to sit on a bench in the park, can brighten up my day. There's something so rejuvenating about being amidst nature, even if it's just a pocket garden near your home.
Stepping into nature is definitely soothing and grounding and sitting on a bench in a park sounds like a lovely, understated luxury.

Matcha can be an acquired taste indeed; I find the trick is to get a really high-quality, ceremonial grade matcha - it's a whole other experience! The umami sweetness takes some getting used to, but the ritual and flavour become more appealing over time. It's also incredibly versatile; you can have it as a tea, in smoothies, or even in baking. If you like green teas, it's a great switch-up from the usual brewed varieties. I'll take your recommendation and try some rooibos too!

Stepping into nature is definitely soothing and grounding and sitting on a bench in a park sounds like a lovely, understated luxury.

Matcha can be an acquired taste indeed; I find the trick is to get a really high-quality, ceremonial grade matcha - it's a whole other experience! The umami sweetness takes some getting used to, but the ritual and flavour become more appealing over time. It's also incredibly versatile; you can have it as a tea, in smoothies, or even in baking. If you like green teas, it's a great switch-up from the usual brewed varieties. I'll take your recommendation and try some rooibos too!
high-quality matcha can be amazing. I usually prepare mine as a latte with oat milk, which makes it creamier and a little more approachable. Ceromonial grade matcha is a good suggestion; the flavour is so much smoother and seems to have more depth, which might make it more enjoyable for those new to matcha.

high-quality matcha can be amazing. I usually prepare mine as a latte with oat milk, which makes it creamier and a little more approachable. Ceromonial grade matcha is a good suggestion; the flavour is so much smoother and seems to have more depth, which might make it more enjoyable for those new to matcha.
Yes, I enjoy matcha lattes too! There are so many lovely matcha-based drinks out there - it's fun discovering them.

Yes, I enjoy matcha lattes too! There are so many lovely matcha-based drinks out there - it's fun discovering them.
Haha I'm glad we can agree on something matcha related, at least! It's a great alternative to coffee.

Haha I'm glad we can agree on something matcha related, at least! It's a great alternative to coffee.
That's wonderful that you guys get me as a matcha lover too! Enjoying finding all these new recommendations is exciting!

That's wonderful that you guys get me as a matcha lover too! Enjoying finding all these new recommendations is exciting!
There indeed are many lovely drinks out there, and it's fun discovering them all. But nothing beats a good old ice cold lemon or lime drink on a hot sunny day - so refreshing!

There indeed are many lovely drinks out there, and it's fun discovering them all. But nothing beats a good old ice cold lemon or lime drink on a hot sunny day - so refreshing!
Ahhh... I do love a good thirst-quenching drink on a hot day; it's one of the little joys in life :) That fresh zesty burst from lemons and limes is hard to beat!

Ahhh... I do love a good thirst-quenching drink on a hot day; it's one of the little joys in life :) That fresh zesty burst from lemons and limes is hard to beat!
Lemony or zesty drinks are the best pick-me-ups on warm days. They're like nature's energy drinks without the nasty crash afterward!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu