• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting twins and multiples

Having a constant supply of zip lock bags in different sizes is so useful for storing and portioning food. Also, those portable changing mats that come with compartments for diapers, wet wipes, creams, and an extra set of clothes are really handy when you're out and about or even at home. You never have to dig around for anything; it's all contained in one place!

I also found that learning how to swaddle properly was a godsend, it helped my babies sleep longer, and it gave them some much-needed comfort. Knowing the right technique can make all the difference - I'd highly recommend learning a few baby calming techniques like this, they're your sanity savers!
That's great to know! Swaddling is a useful skill, a lot of my friends have sworn by it too, helping their little ones settle better. Baby calming techniques are worth their weight in gold - anything that helps them sleep longer!

Mums of multiples tend to forget about themselves because there are just so many demands from the little ones. But it's certainly good to keep in mind something to look forward to, like a date night! It helps us keep our sanity too and makes us realize there is life outside of feedings and diaper changes 😅.
As you mentioned, breastfeeding can be tough, and pumping can be a chore, so I'm glad you're looking into getting some assistance ahead of time!

Mums of multiples tend to forget about themselves because there are just so many demands from the little ones. But it's certainly good to keep in mind something to look forward to, like a date night! It helps us keep our sanity too and makes us realize there is life outside of feedings and diaper changes 😅.
Yep, keeping our sanity depends on realizing there's life beyond breastfeeding and nappy changes! Haha. Thanks for joining the conversation; hopefully, we can help each other out with more useful tips as this thread goes on!

Don't forget to enjoy the journey - it goes by in a blur! It's okay to ask for help and seek advice from experienced parents. We all want to do our best for our children, and sometimes that means learning from others' mistakes!
The excitement of having doubles is overwhelming, isn't it? It's like preparing for not one but two little suns that will shine in your life! Your focus and determination to provide the best for them are admirable. the experiences of others can help us newbies navigate this new adventure.

Having a constant supply of zip lock bags in different sizes is so useful for storing and portioning food. Also, those portable changing mats that come with compartments for diapers, wet wipes, creams, and an extra set of clothes are really handy when you're out and about or even at home. You never have to dig around for anything; it's all contained in one place!

I also found that learning how to swaddle properly was a godsend, it helped my babies sleep longer, and it gave them some much-needed comfort. Knowing the right technique can make all the difference - I'd highly recommend learning a few baby calming techniques like this, they're your sanity savers!
Swaddling is an age-old trick that really does help, provided the babies are OK with being wrapped up snugly! It's a great way to soothe and calm them, especially if they've been overexcited during the day and need some help winding down. Old techniques can be gold sometimes! Any other traditional methods that have worked well for you guys?

Some excellent suggestions here that I completely agree with, especially the nasal aspirators and first aid kits - so important! I'd also emphasize the importance of a good, sturdy, and comfortable baby carrier. With two little ones, you've got enough on your plate, so having a hands-free option for a walk around the neighborhood or just to keep them calm is a God-send.

Having a solid routine from day one is also helpful, as it gives you a semblance of control and prepares the twins for what's to come. Establishing a feed-play-sleep cycle helps to keep everyone on the same page and provides some structure to your day. Of course, it's also vital to have an open mind and be prepared for when things inevitably go awry - because they will! - and that's when all that accepted help comes into play.

On a personal note, I also found that keeping a small journal helped me keep track of their feeds, nappies, and milestones, especially in the early days when everything was so new and chaotic. It gave me a sense of accomplishment to jot down their achievements and provided some clarity amidst the fog of parenthood!
There's so much to learn and prepare for with twins! It's encouraging to hear these practical insights and tips for survival that most parents would've wish they had known earlier!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yup, getting help doesn't mean you can't manage; it just means you're being smart! Everyone needs some help sometimes!
Having that network of support can really make all the difference - not just for the practical help but also for the moral support and encouragement! It's a big adjustment, so having people to lean on is such a blessing.

Reactions: mamamia
As you mentioned, breastfeeding can be tough, and pumping can be a chore, so I'm glad you're looking into getting some assistance ahead of time!
It's also so true that we mothers often neglect our own needs while tending to the twins. But hey, ask me, and I'll tell you it's absolutely okay to indulge in some self-care and even spoil yourself every once in a while. It's beneficial for your own wellbeing and keeps the mummy sanity intact!

Good advice! It's a crazy rollercoaster ride that goes by too quickly; you've gotta enjoy the ups and downs with the twins while you can! And asking for help or advice is nothing to be shy about; it's part and parcel of the learning curve of being a parent - might as well use all the resources you can get!
That's very true; time really flies by, so enjoying and appreciating these moments are important! The struggles and sleep deprivation seem temporary in hindsight. I also agree that seeking help or advice doesn't mean we're inadequate; it's more like wise planning or efficient problem-solving - getting pointers from experienced parents can really make a difference! It saves us time and effort, especially with two little humans depending on us.

Good advice! It's a crazy rollercoaster ride that goes by too quickly; you've gotta enjoy the ups and downs with the twins while you can! And asking for help or advice is nothing to be shy about; it's part and parcel of the learning curve of being a parent - might as well use all the resources you can get!
It sure is a crazy ride and one that you don't wanna miss while you're busy navigating the chaos! Ask away and enjoy those little moments because they grow up fast!

The excitement of having doubles is overwhelming, isn't it? It's like preparing for not one but two little suns that will shine in your life! Your focus and determination to provide the best for them are admirable. the experiences of others can help us newbies navigate this new adventure.
It's a wild ride, that's for sure! There's so much to learn and prepare for; it can be downright daunting! But hey, us parents got this!

It's also so true that we mothers often neglect our own needs while tending to the twins. But hey, ask me, and I'll tell you it's absolutely okay to indulge in some self-care and even spoil yourself every once in a while. It's beneficial for your own wellbeing and keeps the mummy sanity intact!
Absolutely! There's a valid reason why flight attendants remind passengers to secure their own oxygen masks before helping others - you're no good to anyone if you've passed out! Self-care is important, whether it's a hobby, exercise, or just some quiet me-time.

That's great to know! Swaddling is a useful skill, a lot of my friends have sworn by it too, helping their little ones settle better. Baby calming techniques are worth their weight in gold - anything that helps them sleep longer!
I never understood why anyone would need multiple bags when they go out with a baby until I had kids. Now, I realize that having a well-stocked diaper bag with everything easily accessible is a literal lifesaver! And yes, being able to differentiate between the twins' items without having to check labels is another good trick to learn quickly!

Some really good, actionable advice being shared here! I love the practical nature of these discussions. Keep them coming, mummies!

Are there any other tried-and-true hacks or essentials you'd recommend for making life easier with twins? I'm taking notes!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Yep, keeping our sanity depends on realizing there's life beyond breastfeeding and nappy changes! Haha. Thanks for joining the conversation; hopefully, we can help each other out with more useful tips as this thread goes on!
That's the goal - hope the discussion continues to thrive! 😊

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
Having that network of support can really make all the difference - not just for the practical help but also for the moral support and encouragement! It's a big adjustment, so having people to lean on is such a blessing.
It's true; it's the encouragement and morale support from others that makes everything manageable. That's the thing about motherhood: You don't have to tough it out alone!

That's very true; time really flies by, so enjoying and appreciating these moments are important! The struggles and sleep deprivation seem temporary in hindsight. I also agree that seeking help or advice doesn't mean we're inadequate; it's more like wise planning or efficient problem-solving - getting pointers from experienced parents can really make a difference! It saves us time and effort, especially with two little humans depending on us.
Mummy instincts kick in surprisingly even amid the sleep deprivation! Experience shared is knowledge gained, so I appreciate the input from you ladies. Some good old advice and tips are welcome, especially for a first-timer like me!

It sure is a crazy ride and one that you don't wanna miss while you're busy navigating the chaos! Ask away and enjoy those little moments because they grow up fast!
Enjoying the ride certainly makes parenting twins worth it, despite the craziness! There's always some cute moment or development to appreciate if we stay present. Thanks for the reminders, ladies; it's encouraging to hear these thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Swaddling is an age-old trick that really does help, provided the babies are OK with being wrapped up snugly! It's a great way to soothe and calm them, especially if they've been overexcited during the day and need some help winding down. Old techniques can be gold sometimes! Any other traditional methods that have worked well for you guys?
Some parents I know practice the art of baby wearing - carrying their babies in special wraps or carriers. It's a great hands-free way to soothe fussy babies and also allows them to bond with both parents as they get used to each other's smells and sounds.

Reactions: cissy
Some traditional methods I found helpful were massage techniques for calming and soothing baby gas pains. My mom also swear swears by using a soft cloth to gently pat the babies' backs, simulating the motion of wiping their bottom, which would instantly comfort them when they were fussy as newborns. Old school methods often have a lot of gentle and comforting physical touches, very heartwarming and bonding indeed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu