• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting through adoption and fostering

You sound like an awesome, sensitive parent. Just remember that despite all the books and advice, every situation is unique, and you'll need to make some things up as you go along - we're all winging it really. There's no such thing as a perfect parent; just keep doing your best and keeping them fed, clothed and in school seems like a good enough goal to me!
You're too kind; I'm just doing my best like any other parent! You're absolutely right; every situation is unique and often defies one-size-fits-all solutions. Books can only do so much; real-life experiences and spontaneous decisions will certainly play a huge part in this parenting adventure.

I find that as long as we keep an open mind, stay aware of our children's emotions, and provide them with plenty of love, we're already halfway there! Thanks so much for the kind words; I hope your parenting journey is going swimmingly too!

You sound like an awesome, sensitive parent. Just remember that despite all the books and advice, every situation is unique, and you'll need to make some things up as you go along - we're all winging it really. There's no such thing as a perfect parent; just keep doing your best and keeping them fed, clothed and in school seems like a good enough goal to me!
every parenting situation is unique, and one must do what feels right for their family, which can be quite different from others. That's excellent advice to not strive for perfection - I'd say that having realistic goals and doing our best is achievable and good enough!

Thank you for the reminder about seeking help professionally - it's so important to intervene early and seek expertise in managing these complex situations. The challenge sometimes is to find the right professional help, especially when it comes to children who have specific traumas or unique home circumstances.

It can be frustrating not knowing the right approach to take, but patience certainly goes a long way! I find that keeping an open mind and listening actively - especially when kids express their emotions through actions rather than words - helps me respond better to my kid's needs.
You're spot on about the uniqueness of every situation, which calls for a certain amount of flexibility and creativity in our approach. It's great that you've learnt to decipher your child's emotional expressions even when they struggle to verbalize them. That active listening skill will definitely pay dividends in your parenting journey.

Thank you for the reminder about the importance of consistency! We've also found that structure helps our children adjust to their new environment, though it's a balancing act maintaining a routine while remaining adaptable, especially during the initial adjustment period.

Professional help is vital, and we've learned that early intervention is key when accessing support services - which can make all the difference in managing behavioural issues arising from trauma. We've been lucky to have access to great counsellors who specialize in adoption-related matters and provide our kids the space to verbalize their feelings without judgement.

I completely agree with you on the importance of fostering connections with other foster/adoptive families; that sense of community and shared experiences is invaluable, a source of comfort and wisdom! It's heartening to learn from others who've tackled - or are tackling - similar challenges.
It seems like you have a great support system in place, which is fantastic. Most parents would agree that some aspects of parenting are daunting, but it sounds like you're doing a terrific job! Keep up the wonderful work!

On another note, do you have any fun plans for this sunny Tuesday?

Thank you for the reminder about seeking help professionally - it's so important to intervene early and seek expertise in managing these complex situations. The challenge sometimes is to find the right professional help, especially when it comes to children who have specific traumas or unique home circumstances.

It can be frustrating not knowing the right approach to take, but patience certainly goes a long way! I find that keeping an open mind and listening actively - especially when kids express their emotions through actions rather than words - helps me respond better to my kid's needs.
You're absolutely right about the uniqueness of every situation; there's no one-size-fits-all in parenting, especially with the complexities of fostering and adoption. Active listening plays a crucial role, even moreso when children struggle to verbalize their feelings - that's great insight! And your approach sounds just right: being mindful, present, and open-minded while keeping the focus on providing the basics - the fundamentals often get overlooked in the noise of our complex lives.

You're doing a great job keeping your eyes and heart open! It can be so tricky with kids who struggle to vocalize their feelings; you have to be extra vigilant in deciphering what they need. Well done!

That's sound advice, especially the part about seeking help early. We noticed our son struggling with impulse control and immediate compliance - he'd get very defiant at times. We didn't hesitate to reach out to his pediatrician, who recommended an excellent counseling service specializing in adoption-related issues.

The psychologist explained that these behaviors are common among children who've experienced uncertainty and trauma in their early years, and she gave us great strategies to help him manage those big feelings and learn some coping mechanisms. We focused on building his emotional vocabulary and encouraging open expression - drawing, role-playing, and even certain apps helped! - which gave him better tools to self-regulate.

Consistency and a structured routine definitely helped us too, as parents. There was less guess-work, and it gave our son clear expectations and a secure base to return to after exploring his new world. It's a work in progress, but we're seeing great improvement!
That's encouraging to hear how your son's defiant behavior improved with the right professional help and your consistent efforts. Using technology like apps as a tool is a great idea too - some interactions and lessons are well-suited for the digital format! It's heartening to see how much progress can be made with the right strategies.

That's sound advice, especially the part about seeking help early. We noticed our son struggling with impulse control and immediate compliance - he'd get very defiant at times. We didn't hesitate to reach out to his pediatrician, who recommended an excellent counseling service specializing in adoption-related issues.

The psychologist explained that these behaviors are common among children who've experienced uncertainty and trauma in their early years, and she gave us great strategies to help him manage those big feelings and learn some coping mechanisms. We focused on building his emotional vocabulary and encouraging open expression - drawing, role-playing, and even certain apps helped! - which gave him better tools to self-regulate.

Consistency and a structured routine definitely helped us too, as parents. There was less guess-work, and it gave our son clear expectations and a secure base to return to after exploring his new world. It's a work in progress, but we're seeing great improvement!
Sounds like you've got a great handle on things despite the challenges - reaching out for help and getting the right professional support early on seems to have made a world of difference! I'm curious about the apps you mentioned - any you'd recommend that have worked well in your experience? It's good to have some tools handy when those tricky situations arise.

Yeah, it's wonderful how counseling can help make sense of things and heal the family unit. You too, enjoy the rest of your week!
That's great to hear that counselling is helping your family. Have a good week ahead too!

It's wonderful to hear these positive outcomes and strategies shared - they give hope and provide useful insights to anyone embarking on this challenging but rewarding path. Thanks for relaying the stories, and have a good weekend too!
You're welcome; I'm glad we could share experiences and resources here. I might reach out to some of you individually if I ever need more specific recommendations for our situation! Have a great week ahead.

Yeah, it's wonderful how counseling can help make sense of things and heal the family unit. You too, enjoy the rest of your week!
Have a fantastic week ahead too! Here's to hoping all our children continue to heal and thrive! 😊👋

I couldn't have said it better myself; counseling seems like a valuable tool that more parents should consider. It's heartening to hear first-hand accounts of how it can help repair and strengthen families during trying times. Thanks for sharing that, and hope you're having a relaxing weekend too!
Yeah, it's great to discover all these resources available - there are so many professionals dedicated to helping parents and children navigate such complex situations. You have a good week ahead!

Thank you; you too! Enjoy the journey with your little ones - they grow up too quickly!

Have a great week ahead! Enjoy the cool breeze while strolling along the seaside with your little ones; the evening walks sound so relaxing!

Enjoy the rest of your week as well! Hope it involves something relaxing or fun - you deserve it!

I couldn't have said it better myself; counseling seems like a valuable tool that more parents should consider. It's heartening to hear first-hand accounts of how it can help repair and strengthen families during trying times. Thanks for sharing that, and hope you're having a relaxing weekend too!
Yeah, I'm enjoying some downtime now. You're very welcome; hope it proves helpful to someone!

the work of counselling and therapy should not be understated - they really can work wonders when done right. Have a good week yourself!
The wonders of counseling are often underrated You have a great week ahead too!

the work of counselling and therapy should not be understated - they really can work wonders when done right. Have a good week yourself!
Yes counseling and therapy are like the unsung heroes in the background, healing and fixing what often seems incurable. They key, as you've emphasized, is to seek help early and find the right assistance.

Hope your week ahead is a lovely one too!

My fosters son had severe attachment issues due to his birth mother's neglect. He would become attached to anyone who showed him affection, which mostly ended up being strangers since she was in and out of jail. When he came to us at 7, he was very uncertain about his feelings and would often get confused and distressed by his conflicting emotions.

We kept things consistent and stable and made sure he knew our love for him was unconditional, which helped soothe his insecurity about being abandoned. Over time, we also involved him in decisions like grocery shopping or choosing activities he'd enjoy. It slowly helped him understand that he had a say and some control over his new environment.

It's a long road, but persistence and patience really do pay off. You're doing impactful work as foster parents - keep your chins up!
Thanks for sharing this; it's encouraging to hear of your success in helping your foster son through such difficult circumstances. It's a good reminder that providing stability and autonomy can go a long way in soothing attachment issues. We're keeping our chins up and hoping for the best!

My fosters son had severe attachment issues due to his birth mother's neglect. He would become attached to anyone who showed him affection, which mostly ended up being strangers since she was in and out of jail. When he came to us at 7, he was very uncertain about his feelings and would often get confused and distressed by his conflicting emotions.

We kept things consistent and stable and made sure he knew our love for him was unconditional, which helped soothe his insecurity about being abandoned. Over time, we also involved him in decisions like grocery shopping or choosing activities he'd enjoy. It slowly helped him understand that he had a say and some control over his new environment.

It's a long road, but persistence and patience really do pay off. You're doing impactful work as foster parents - keep your chins up!
That's great to hear how you've approached the situation with your foster son. It sounds like you're creating a safe space for him to heal and grow - consistent support and love are so crucial for building that trust.

There's no one-size-fits-all approach in parenting, but it looks like you've found a routine that works well and empowers him too. I can only imagine the challenges you face as foster parents; it's encouraging to hear your resilience and dedication. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu