• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting through adoption and fostering

Some children may exhibit behavioural problems as they struggle to cope with the aftermath of trauma and adjust to a new environment. I'd suggest staying firm but fair - consistency and routine will help them feel secure, and boundaries need to be clearly set, especially if they're acting out or displaying erratic behaviour. Seek professional help if needed; don't wait till things spiral out of control! And remember, love goes a long way, coupled with lots of patience!
That's a spot-on observation about the importance of consistency and routine - creating a stable environment with clear boundaries can help traumatized children feel safer as they adjust to their new surroundings. Your advice is sobering and much appreciated - I'll keep that in mind should such challenges arise! Professional counseling certainly sounds like an advisable course of action to navigate unclear situations, and seeking help early on seems prudent. Love and patience, too, are invaluable tools in this journey. Thank you for sharing your insights!

You're right about the importance of recognizing the child's journey and keeping an eye on their emotional well-being - it's crucial that we as parents don't discount the influence of the past on our kids' present and future.

One tough challenge I faced was helping my child manage the guilt of feeling joyful in their new life while understanding that their biological mother couldn't provide for them. It's a delicate balance to help them process these complicated emotions without dismissing or minimizing their feelings, especially when they expressed sadness and longing for her.

I found that using age-appropriate books on the topic helped normalize these difficult feelings and provided a platform for open and honest discussion. We also worked closely with a counselor who specializes in these situations, which offered great professional insight and support during our weekly sessions.

Outside of the professionals, it's been beneficial to connect with other families who have gone through similar experiences. There's a sense of camaraderie and shared understanding among us foster-to-adopt parents, and it's reassuring to know we aren't alone in this challenging yet rewarding journey.
it's a tricky situation that requires a lot of sensitivity and awareness. It's great that you found several strategies to help your child work through their emotions and past trauma.

Do you mind sharing the books that helped you and your child process these difficult feelings? I'd love to hear any recommendations as I've not yet ventured into those territories and could use some direction. Also, did you find any resources online or in person - support groups, for example?

You're right about the importance of recognizing the child's journey and keeping an eye on their emotional well-being - it's crucial that we as parents don't discount the influence of the past on our kids' present and future.

One tough challenge I faced was helping my child manage the guilt of feeling joyful in their new life while understanding that their biological mother couldn't provide for them. It's a delicate balance to help them process these complicated emotions without dismissing or minimizing their feelings, especially when they expressed sadness and longing for her.

I found that using age-appropriate books on the topic helped normalize these difficult feelings and provided a platform for open and honest discussion. We also worked closely with a counselor who specializes in these situations, which offered great professional insight and support during our weekly sessions.

Outside of the professionals, it's been beneficial to connect with other families who have gone through similar experiences. There's a sense of camaraderie and shared understanding among us foster-to-adopt parents, and it's reassuring to know we aren't alone in this challenging yet rewarding journey.
You sound like an awesome, sensitive parent. Just remember that despite all the books and advice, every situation is unique, and you'll need to make some things up as you go along - we're all winging it really. There's no such thing as a perfect parent; just keep doing your best and keeping them fed, clothed and in school seems like a good enough goal to me!

Some children may exhibit behavioural problems as they struggle to cope with the aftermath of trauma and adjust to a new environment. I'd suggest staying firm but fair - consistency and routine will help them feel secure, and boundaries need to be clearly set, especially if they're acting out or displaying erratic behaviour. Seek professional help if needed; don't wait till things spiral out of control! And remember, love goes a long way, coupled with lots of patience!
Thank you for the reminder about seeking help professionally - it's so important to intervene early and seek expertise in managing these complex situations. The challenge sometimes is to find the right professional help, especially when it comes to children who have specific traumas or unique home circumstances.

It can be frustrating not knowing the right approach to take, but patience certainly goes a long way! I find that keeping an open mind and listening actively - especially when kids express their emotions through actions rather than words - helps me respond better to my kid's needs.

Thank you for the reminder about the importance of consistency! We've also found that structure helps our children adjust to their new environment, though it's a balancing act maintaining a routine while remaining adaptable, especially during the initial adjustment period.

Professional help is vital, and we've learned that early intervention is key when accessing support services - which can make all the difference in managing behavioural issues arising from trauma. We've been lucky to have access to great counsellors who specialize in adoption-related matters and provide our kids the space to verbalize their feelings without judgement.

I completely agree with you on the importance of fostering connections with other foster/adoptive families; that sense of community and shared experiences is invaluable, a source of comfort and wisdom! It's heartening to learn from others who've tackled - or are tackling - similar challenges.

That's sound advice, especially the part about seeking help early. We noticed our son struggling with impulse control and immediate compliance - he'd get very defiant at times. We didn't hesitate to reach out to his pediatrician, who recommended an excellent counseling service specializing in adoption-related issues.

The psychologist explained that these behaviors are common among children who've experienced uncertainty and trauma in their early years, and she gave us great strategies to help him manage those big feelings and learn some coping mechanisms. We focused on building his emotional vocabulary and encouraging open expression - drawing, role-playing, and even certain apps helped! - which gave him better tools to self-regulate.

Consistency and a structured routine definitely helped us too, as parents. There was less guess-work, and it gave our son clear expectations and a secure base to return to after exploring his new world. It's a work in progress, but we're seeing great improvement!

Reactions: sportytina
That's a heartwarming story with a happy ending. it's encouraging to hear how effective counseling can be in helping families navigate through trauma and forming a strong family bond. Thank your friend for sharing this hopeful story. I'm sure many in this situation would benefit from hearing it. Have a great weekend ahead!
Yeah, it's wonderful how counseling can help make sense of things and heal the family unit. You too, enjoy the rest of your week!

That's a heartwarming story with a happy ending. it's encouraging to hear how effective counseling can be in helping families navigate through trauma and forming a strong family bond. Thank your friend for sharing this hopeful story. I'm sure many in this situation would benefit from hearing it. Have a great weekend ahead!
It's wonderful to hear these positive outcomes and strategies shared - they give hope and provide useful insights to anyone embarking on this challenging but rewarding path. Thanks for relaying the stories, and have a good weekend too!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
I couldn't have said it better myself; counseling seems like a valuable tool that more parents should consider. It's heartening to hear first-hand accounts of how it can help repair and strengthen families during trying times. Thanks for sharing that, and hope you're having a relaxing weekend too!

Reactions: sunnydays
the work of counselling and therapy should not be understated - they really can work wonders when done right. Have a good week yourself!

That's a very valid point! Preparing ourselves mentally for the unknown challenges is crucial, so we're not caught off guard. Being proactive in seeking professional help and having a go-to list of resources can make all the difference - thanks for the reminder! I'm also curious to know if any parents here have experienced this phase and how they navigated it with their foster child. Any insights would be great!
My fosters son had severe attachment issues due to his birth mother's neglect. He would become attached to anyone who showed him affection, which mostly ended up being strangers since she was in and out of jail. When he came to us at 7, he was very uncertain about his feelings and would often get confused and distressed by his conflicting emotions.

We kept things consistent and stable and made sure he knew our love for him was unconditional, which helped soothe his insecurity about being abandoned. Over time, we also involved him in decisions like grocery shopping or choosing activities he'd enjoy. It slowly helped him understand that he had a say and some control over his new environment.

It's a long road, but persistence and patience really do pay off. You're doing impactful work as foster parents - keep your chins up!

That's a very valid point! Preparing ourselves mentally for the unknown challenges is crucial, so we're not caught off guard. Being proactive in seeking professional help and having a go-to list of resources can make all the difference - thanks for the reminder! I'm also curious to know if any parents here have experienced this phase and how they navigated it with their foster child. Any insights would be great!
You'll have a front-row seat to a wild rollercoaster ride, no doubt, but the ups and downs are worth it to see your child thrive. Just remember, theirs is an unfolding story with many questions and complexities - some with no easy answers. The key, as others have said, is being there with an open heart and mind, and professional help when needed!

Reactions: chickadee
That's a very valid point about the unknown future challenges and the likely rebellious phase. As much as possible, having a list of recommended professional resources on standby could help to have a game plan for when those tricky questions arise. Recommended resources could include trustworthy adoption-competent counselors or even online forums that cater to this specific issue - anyone with experience seeking such resources might be able to recommend them? It's good to hear your suggestions and reminders to keep in mind as the child grows older!
I haven't needed to rely on online forums or a therapist, but I'm lucky to have a close-knit group of adoptive mamas who've been through various scenarios. We regularly share recommendations, so I know who to call on should the need arise! It's like having a support group at hand for whatever life throws our way!

That's a very valid point about the unknown future challenges and the likely rebellious phase. As much as possible, having a list of recommended professional resources on standby could help to have a game plan for when those tricky questions arise. Recommended resources could include trustworthy adoption-competent counselors or even online forums that cater to this specific issue - anyone with experience seeking such resources might be able to recommend them? It's good to hear your suggestions and reminders to keep in mind as the child grows older!
That's a fantastic idea to have a list of recommended resources ready. It definitely helps to stay ahead of the situation, especially as things may get overwhelming once the children grow older, and the dynamics change. I haven't personally reached out to any online forums but they sound like a great idea - a good starting point for anyone seeking support, and possibly sharing stories of strength and resilience too!

I agree that having a list of recommended resources is reassuring, especially for first-time foster parents. Online forums have been an incredible resource mine for many parents dealing with specific challenges - there's quite a bit of wisdom shared on them! Adoption.com and AdopteeConnections are great places to start for anyone seeking professional or personal perspectives. Happy to have stumbled upon these insightful shares!

I second your recommendation to have a list of go-to resources. Online forums have been a saving grace for me on many occasions, offering insight from different perspectives. It's reassuring to know there are also professional counsellors with expertise in adoption competencies and I'm keen to hear about them too!

It's encouraging to know that the difficulties can be navigated with the right tools, and hopefully one day, we'll be able to offer our experiences to help others in similar situations.

I agree that being proactive is the way to go - having a list of recommended resources is a great idea. As difficult as it may be, try to keep an open dialogue with the child, and allow them to express their feelings without judgment. It also helps to stay connected with other foster-to-adopt parents; support groups can provide useful insights and recommendations, especially from those who have gone through the same experiences. Online forums are great, but nothing beats a real conversation!

That's quite an interesting strategy, the physical reassurance with the home security systems! I'd imagine it's quite reassuring for the child to see those measures being taken, almost like a tangible demonstration of the commitment to provide a safe home. Counseling is definitely a great way to help the family unit heal and bond, especially with a professional mediator assisting in guiding their emotions. It's heartening to hear they're doing well now!
the visual reminders of added home security probably provided some assurance during those uncertain times. I haven't heard of any online forums that are specific to this issue, but there are some great books on the topic which might be a good starting point for anyone seeking guidance; I'd recommend "Parenting the Hurt Child" by Gregory Keck and Michael ORamsay, it's filled with valuable insights! You're right about the mediator helping to guide emotions; sometimes, an external party can ask the right questions or provide fresh perspectives. (That book might also make a good gift for anyone interested!) Do you have any other great recommendations for resources?

That's quite an interesting strategy, the physical reassurance with the home security systems! I'd imagine it's quite reassuring for the child to see those measures being taken, almost like a tangible demonstration of the commitment to provide a safe home. Counseling is definitely a great way to help the family unit heal and bond, especially with a professional mediator assisting in guiding their emotions. It's heartening to hear they're doing well now!
the security measures seem like a unique but practical strategy! It's amazing how creative we have to get sometimes to reassure our little ones. Counseling is a great mode of support, and I agree that finding a trustworthy counselor whom the child can build a rapport with is crucial. Unfortunately, not all counselors may have the required expertise in this field, so seeking recommendations from experienced parents could be a useful starting point! Any other successful strategies you've seen or heard would be welcome, as we construct our toolkit for these scenarios!

Counselling can help uncover the child's hidden fears and thoughts which they may not be able to express on their own. As parents, we should keep an open mind and remain sensitive to their struggles, and not take things personally should any hurtful words come our way, as it's more often than not, not directed at us. Keep calm and carry on, and remember, this too shall pass!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu