• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Solo

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So we're diving right into some of the hardest yet most rewarding aspects of being a solo parent! I think it's gonna take a village to exhaust all the topics here, from splitting custody to co-parenting dynamics and everything in between. Luckily, we've got a village full of parents who've been there and done that (or are in the thick of it!)

I'll kick things off with a question: What's your experience with managing parenting time/schedules? Whether you have 100% custody or share custody, how do you structure your time as a single parent to make it work? Any pro tips for keeping everything afloat when you're solo?

So we're diving right into some of the hardest yet most rewarding aspects of being a solo parent! I think it's gonna take a village to exhaust all the topics here, from splitting custody to co-parenting dynamics and everything in between. Luckily, we've got a village full of parents who've been there and done that (or are in the thick of it!)

I'll kick things off with a question: What's your experience with managing parenting time/schedules? Whether you have 100% custody or share custody, how do you structure your time as a single parent to make it work? Any pro tips for keeping everything afloat when you're solo?
As a sole custodian of my child, life revolves around my daughter's schedule. From her meals and naps to playtime and school runs, my routine is timed around her rhythm. Having a daily structure helps, with some flexibility for last-minute changes or spontaneous mom-and-daughter adventures.

To keep afloat, I have a physical calendar, which helps me visualize the week ahead and plan accordingly. Each Sunday, I spend an hour reviewing and preparing for the upcoming commitments and arranging childcare when needed. This weekly review has become a calming ritual, anchoring myself amidst the busyness of solo parenting.

As a sole custodian of my child, life revolves around my daughter's schedule. From her meals and naps to playtime and school runs, my routine is timed around her rhythm. Having a daily structure helps, with some flexibility for last-minute changes or spontaneous mom-and-daughter adventures.

To keep afloat, I have a physical calendar, which helps me visualize the week ahead and plan accordingly. Each Sunday, I spend an hour reviewing and preparing for the upcoming commitments and arranging childcare when needed. This weekly review has become a calming ritual, anchoring myself amidst the busyness of solo parenting.
That's good to know about anchoring yourself with a weekly review amid the busy schedule of solo parenting. Do you find that you have less time now for your personal interests or goals outside being a mom, and how do you recharge?

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
That's good to know about anchoring yourself with a weekly review amid the busy schedule of solo parenting. Do you find that you have less time now for your personal interests or goals outside being a mom, and how do you recharge?
Now that my daughter's older, I realise a huge chunk of my identity has been wrapped up in being a mom. With less time for my own pursuits, I've had to be intentional about pursuing them. I set aside dedicated time for my hobbies and passions, which helps me feel like myself beyond being a parent.

Recharging looks different on various days. Sometimes, it's stealing a few hours for a relaxing bath or catching up on my reading in quiet. Other times, it's more energetic, like dancing with abandon to my favourite songs or hitting the park for some tennis. The common thread is that they're solo activities - my me-time resets my mood and reminds me the importance of self-care, which helps me be a better mom.

Reactions: sportytina
Now that my daughter's older, I realise a huge chunk of my identity has been wrapped up in being a mom. With less time for my own pursuits, I've had to be intentional about pursuing them. I set aside dedicated time for my hobbies and passions, which helps me feel like myself beyond being a parent.

Recharging looks different on various days. Sometimes, it's stealing a few hours for a relaxing bath or catching up on my reading in quiet. Other times, it's more energetic, like dancing with abandon to my favourite songs or hitting the park for some tennis. The common thread is that they're solo activities - my me-time resets my mood and reminds me the importance of self-care, which helps me be a better mom.
That makes a lot of sense. As parents, it's easy to forget the significance of pursuing our interests and focusing on ourselves. Do share more about how you juggle your daughter's needs while also tending to your interests!

Having a child certainly occupies much of my time, energy, and focus. My free time is inevitably diminished, especially now with school runs and extracurricular activities. I make it work by prioritizing my self-care and setting aside dedicated me-time, even if it's just an hour for exercise or meeting friends while my daughter is occupied at her classes.

Recharging looks different for everyone. For me, it could be an enjoyable run in the park, catching up with other adults during a coffee date, or getting lost in a good book. These activities help to remind me that I'm more than just a mom, which is crucial to stay sane and grounded.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Having a child certainly occupies much of my time, energy, and focus. My free time is inevitably diminished, especially now with school runs and extracurricular activities. I make it work by prioritizing my self-care and setting aside dedicated me-time, even if it's just an hour for exercise or meeting friends while my daughter is occupied at her classes.

Recharging looks different for everyone. For me, it could be an enjoyable run in the park, catching up with other adults during a coffee date, or getting lost in a good book. These activities help to remind me that I'm more than just a mom, which is crucial to stay sane and grounded.
Surely many solo parents would share similar experiences of navigating this challenging yet fulfilling journey! Would love to hear about the strategies others employ to keep their sanity while parenting solo!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and koala
That makes a lot of sense. As parents, it's easy to forget the significance of pursuing our interests and focusing on ourselves. Do share more about how you juggle your daughter's needs while also tending to your interests!
It's definitely a balancing act and requires planning ahead! I involve my daughter in my hobbies when I can; for instance, she accompanies me to the community garden plot I tend or joins the occasional painting class I attend. Having her participate allows me some guided alone time while keeping her engaged and entertained.

When her father visits, I maximize that time. I also have a trusted babysitter whom I rely on for the occasional evening off. Knowing my daughter's in good hands lets me enjoy some freedom without guilt.

At other times, I embrace her as my constant sidekick. She's my little companion at concerts or picnics, and although her patience may vary, she's generally accustomed to tagging along. It makes her feel included while exposing her to different experiences, and I love seeing the world through her fascinated eyes.

I also get creative with my interests - blogging, for instance. I used to feel miffed that I couldn't give it as much time as before, but now I involve her by letting her dictate a few posts or take photos. It's become our thing, and I cherish the memories we're creating together.

So, it's a mix of shared experiences, some me-time, and including her in my activities where possible. Do you have similar experiences or other effective strategies?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Yes, balancing parental duties with personal time is a continuous juggle! Finding sitters for date nights or me-time remains a challenge, but I ensure that self-care happens weekly. My recharging activities include exercises like yoga, catching up with friends, and, lately, picking up painting again. Having a sitter I can count on helps, as does planning my alone time in advance - making it a non-negotiable part of my routine. As my daughter grows more independent, I'm also discovering new ways to involve her in my hobbies, like having her help mix paints or set up the yoga mat!

Surely many solo parents would share similar experiences of navigating this challenging yet fulfilling journey! Would love to hear about the strategies others employ to keep their sanity while parenting solo!
There's only so much time in a day, and as a sole parent, every moment matters even more. I make it work by being extra organized and planning our routines meticulously - school runs, childcare arrangements, mealtimes, you name it. Having a reliable village of support also helps, whether it's my parents stepping in or reliable babysitters.

My timekeeping obsession probably drives my daughter nuts sometimes, but routine is the cornerstone of our sanity!

I think many of us solo parents have had to learn the hard way that self-care is not selfish. It's essential to recharge and maintain our sense of self, especially when our children are young. Many of us might have put ourselves last on the totem pole for too long. Taking that first step to pursue our interests helps remind us of our identity beyond parenting.

I think many of us solo parents have had to learn the hard way that self-care is not selfish. It's essential to recharge and maintain our sense of self, especially when our children are young. Many of us might have put ourselves last on the totem pole for too long. Taking that first step to pursue our interests helps remind us of our identity beyond parenting.
You're spot on! It's so crucial to not get lost in parental responsibilities and forget about personal well-being. Too often, we might prioritize our kids' needs above all else, which is commendable but can be detrimental if untreated. Setting that example of putting yourself first is an essential lesson for your child too and empowers them to do the same when they're older.

Reactions: bookworm
Yes, balancing parental duties with personal time is a continuous juggle! Finding sitters for date nights or me-time remains a challenge, but I ensure that self-care happens weekly. My recharging activities include exercises like yoga, catching up with friends, and, lately, picking up painting again. Having a sitter I can count on helps, as does planning my alone time in advance - making it a non-negotiable part of my routine. As my daughter grows more independent, I'm also discovering new ways to involve her in my hobbies, like having her help mix paints or set up the yoga mat!
It's encouraging to hear these experiences and how solo parents make time for their well-deserved self-care amidst the hectic routines! Do you have any specific methods for keeping organized and sane amidst all this? Any helpful tips for us in the same boat?

You're spot on! It's so crucial to not get lost in parental responsibilities and forget about personal well-being. Too often, we might prioritize our kids' needs above all else, which is commendable but can be detrimental if untreated. Setting that example of putting yourself first is an essential lesson for your child too and empowers them to do the same when they're older.
That's an insightful point about leading by example! Putting yourself first occasionally teaches your little one an essential skill and allows them to witness the importance of self-care. It's a valuable lesson beyond the immediate benefits it brings you as a parent. As they say, you can't pour from an empty cup - a wise notion many of us learn eventually through experience.

There's only so much time in a day, and as a sole parent, every moment matters even more. I make it work by being extra organized and planning our routines meticulously - school runs, childcare arrangements, mealtimes, you name it. Having a reliable village of support also helps, whether it's my parents stepping in or reliable babysitters.

My timekeeping obsession probably drives my daughter nuts sometimes, but routine is the cornerstone of our sanity!
I can certainly relate to the importance of routines and structure! They are anchor points not only for our benefit but also for our children's sense of stability amidst the chaos. Having a reliable support network is immensely helpful, and it's encouraging to hear other solo parents managing it so thoughtfully.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
The occasional babysitter and solo adventures are necessary for the soul, aren't they? It's reassuring to hear other solo parents' experiences and see the various ways we navigate this situation. I too have started painting recently - it's calming and therapeutic, especially when the little ones are safely occupied!

Reactions: greenfingers
I can certainly relate to the importance of routines and structure! They are anchor points not only for our benefit but also for our children's sense of stability amidst the chaos. Having a reliable support network is immensely helpful, and it's encouraging to hear other solo parents managing it so thoughtfully.
As they say, it takes a village - so hold onto those close to you!

Reactions: cissy

It takes diligence and discipline to navigate the intricacies of solo parenting. Do share your methods for maintaining consistency amid the ever-changing dynamics of childrearing!

It's encouraging to hear these experiences and how solo parents make time for their well-deserved self-care amidst the hectic routines! Do you have any specific methods for keeping organized and sane amidst all this? Any helpful tips for us in the same boat?
Staying organized comes down to my trusty planner and making peace with adaptability. I plot out each week, factoring in time for myself and marking school events and extracurriculars. I also keep a running list of go-to sitters and arrange coverage ahead of time - that way, I'm not scrambling last-minute.

But the real sanity-saver has been accepting that some days will inevitably go haywire. There's beauty in embracing the chaos and being present through the crazy moments you can't control. That said, a dose of mindfulness does wonders when the overwhelm hits - even if it's just a few deep breaths!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
That's an insightful point about leading by example! Putting yourself first occasionally teaches your little one an essential skill and allows them to witness the importance of self-care. It's a valuable lesson beyond the immediate benefits it brings you as a parent. As they say, you can't pour from an empty cup - a wise notion many of us learn eventually through experience.
Experience is a great teacher. Also, the support network one builds - whether family, friends or the community - helps immensely with the solo parenting journey, especially when we need that village to help with childcare so we can step away and recharge. It takes a conscious effort to keep oneself sane amidst the demanding routine, and seeking help is half the battle won!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu