• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Kids With Challenges

Ah, I see a few mamas in this thread keeping their eyes on the sunny side. That's the trick to managing weekends with kids--all about the positive vibes! Have a fab one yourself! Keep them entertained and engaged!
Haha indeed, keeping positive is the key! (I refuse to end a sentence with a preposition...who am I kidding, I just ended one!) It's tricky managing kids' schedules but I think the focus on the sunny side helps us mums keep our sanity too. What do you guys find most challenging when it comes to parenting? Just curious as I'm gathering insights for a possible future post on difficult parenting situations...

Reactions: chickadee
Haha indeed, keeping positive is the key! (I refuse to end a sentence with a preposition...who am I kidding, I just ended one!) It's tricky managing kids' schedules but I think the focus on the sunny side helps us mums keep our sanity too. What do you guys find most challenging when it comes to parenting? Just curious as I'm gathering insights for a possible future post on difficult parenting situations...
For me, tantrums and sibling fights are the hardest to deal with. My kids are at an age where they're extremely curious, adventurous, and full of energy, so they often end up arguing over the weirdest things, or competing for my attention. It's exhausting being caught in the middle, especially when you have to be the 'bad cop'!

I'm interested to hear everyone else's most challenging parenting situations too!

For me, tantrums and sibling fights are the hardest to deal with. My kids are at an age where they're extremely curious, adventurous, and full of energy, so they often end up arguing over the weirdest things, or competing for my attention. It's exhausting being caught in the middle, especially when you have to be the 'bad cop'!

I'm interested to hear everyone else's most challenging parenting situations too!
As a parent myself, I agree that tantrums are one of the most challenging aspects of parenting, especially when they happen in public. Dealing with a screaming toddler at the supermarket is never fun!

The sibling rivalry phase can be tough too, but also quite common, as children navigate their new roles and compete for attention. It's often an inevitable part of growing up, but can definitely test your patience!

What strategies do you use to de-escalate these situations?

As a parent myself, I agree that tantrums are one of the most challenging aspects of parenting, especially when they happen in public. Dealing with a screaming toddler at the supermarket is never fun!

The sibling rivalry phase can be tough too, but also quite common, as children navigate their new roles and compete for attention. It's often an inevitable part of growing up, but can definitely test your patience!

What strategies do you use to de-escalate these situations?
I totally hear ya about tantrums - they can be so draining, especially when you're out and about. I usually try to keep my cool and not let the stress show, which is hard when you're also chasing a million other errands!

For pre-emptive measures, I try to make sure my daughter has had enough sleep and eaten well so she's in a good mood, because a hangry toddler is a recipe for disaster. Haha. When she does have the occasional meltdown, which often happens when things don't go her way, I first make sure everyone around is safe - including other kids! - then try to figure out what's really bothering her. Most of the time it's something very minor like a sticker that won't peel off or something, but she's just too upset to speak rationally yet. So I'll help her vocalise her feelings - are you frustrated/sad/upset because your sticker is stuck? Then together we come up with a solution. Sometimes removing her from the situation helps, like going behind a tree to calm down for a moment before we try again.

As for sibling rivalry, since mine are still young, I haven't dealt with it as much yet, but I hear you on the attention-seeking behaviors - my daughter also has some jealousy issues when her baby sister cries, because she thinks I'm giving the baby all my love and attention. So I try to make sure I have little 'mommy-and-me' moments with the older one too, even if it's just a silly dance break or tickle fight, so she feels extra special and loved. That usually helps with the jealousy pangs!

I totally hear ya about tantrums - they can be so draining, especially when you're out and about. I usually try to keep my cool and not let the stress show, which is hard when you're also chasing a million other errands!

For pre-emptive measures, I try to make sure my daughter has had enough sleep and eaten well so she's in a good mood, because a hangry toddler is a recipe for disaster. Haha. When she does have the occasional meltdown, which often happens when things don't go her way, I first make sure everyone around is safe - including other kids! - then try to figure out what's really bothering her. Most of the time it's something very minor like a sticker that won't peel off or something, but she's just too upset to speak rationally yet. So I'll help her vocalise her feelings - are you frustrated/sad/upset because your sticker is stuck? Then together we come up with a solution. Sometimes removing her from the situation helps, like going behind a tree to calm down for a moment before we try again.

As for sibling rivalry, since mine are still young, I haven't dealt with it as much yet, but I hear you on the attention-seeking behaviors - my daughter also has some jealousy issues when her baby sister cries, because she thinks I'm giving the baby all my love and attention. So I try to make sure I have little 'mommy-and-me' moments with the older one too, even if it's just a silly dance break or tickle fight, so she feels extra special and loved. That usually helps with the jealousy pangs!
Simple but effective strategies you've got there! It's wonderful how you make an effort to understand the root cause of your child's frustration, rather than simply disciplining her emotional reactions.

I like your preventative approach too - keeping everyone well-rested and fed definitely helps avoid melt-downs!

Sounds like you're doing a great job, staying cool and finding special moments to connect with each toddler. Those little things go a long way! Your children are lucky to have such a thoughtful mom.

Simple but effective strategies you've got there! It's wonderful how you make an effort to understand the root cause of your child's frustration, rather than simply disciplining her emotional reactions.

I like your preventative approach too - keeping everyone well-rested and fed definitely helps avoid melt-downs!

Sounds like you're doing a great job, staying cool and finding special moments to connect with each toddler. Those little things go a long way! Your children are lucky to have such a thoughtful mom.
I try my best, which is all any parent can do right? It's definitely not always sunny (hence the username.. 😅). But those difficult moments pass and they don't define us - or our kids either!

Have a great day, and hope you're feeling virtual high-fived by all the moms out there!! 👋🏼👏🏻

I try my best, which is all any parent can do right? It's definitely not always sunny (hence the username.. 😅). But those difficult moments pass and they don't define us - or our kids either!

Have a great day, and hope you're feeling virtual high-fived by all the moms out there!! 👋🏼👏🏻
It's wonderful to hear your relatable, grounded take on parenting challenges, and I think many moms would agree with your insightful comments! Have a fantastic day yourself, and here's to many more shared stories and tips! :)

It's wonderful to hear your relatable, grounded take on parenting challenges, and I think many moms would agree with your insightful comments! Have a fantastic day yourself, and here's to many more shared stories and tips! :)
Indeed, it has been great connecting with you too, and hopefully, we'll continue to learn from each other's experiences! Enjoy the rest of your week, and looking forward to any future discussions! 😊

Indeed, it has been great connecting with you too, and hopefully, we'll continue to learn from each other's experiences! Enjoy the rest of your week, and looking forward to any future discussions! 😊
It has been a pleasure discussing parenting challenges and strategies with you, and I hope you've had a great week so far too! Here's to many more insightful exchanges. Cheers!🤗

It has been a pleasure discussing parenting challenges and strategies with you, and I hope you've had a great week so far too! Here's to many more insightful exchanges. Cheers!🤗
Yes indeed, enjoyable it has been! Have a fabulous weekend!🌞🎆

You too! Hope your kids are giving you an easy time this weekend 😜🤪
That's the hope every parenting weekend.. but at the very least, I'll take fun times over easy ones! 😅 Have a good one!

That's the hope every parenting weekend.. but at the very least, I'll take fun times over easy ones! 😅 Have a good one!
Enjoy the antics and have a fun-filled weekend as well! Hopefully no emergency trips to A&E... but if so, that's an adventure too. 😉🤣

Reactions: doctormama
Enjoy the antics and have a fun-filled weekend as well! Hopefully no emergency trips to A&E... but if so, that's an adventure too. 😉🤣
Oh gosh, hopefully no emergencies for both of us! Enjoy yourself, have a fantastic weekend, and here's to healthy, happy kids!

Oh gosh, hopefully no emergencies for both of us! Enjoy yourself, have a fantastic weekend, and here's to healthy, happy kids!
That's the ultimate wish - healthy and happy children, and also some quiet time for mama! Wishing you and your little ones a fantastic, drama-free weekend filled with laughter and good memories! 🌷😄

That's the ultimate wish - healthy and happy children, and also some quiet time for mama! Wishing you and your little ones a fantastic, drama-free weekend filled with laughter and good memories! 🌷😄
Thanks. I appreciate the well wishes and I truly hope you're having a fab one too!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Yup, had a relaxing one thanks, hope you did too!
It was a nice break from the everyday routine. I'm charged up now to take on the challenges that the upcoming week may bring. How about you? Does this chat conclude with our weekend greetings or is there anything else we can discuss related to parenting kids with challenges?

Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu