• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some people manage to raise their kids without spending a fortune - how do they do it? What tips and strategies do frugal parents use to save money, without sacrificing experiences or quality time together as a family?

I'll go first! I've found that one of my best parenting investments has been a yearly membership to our local zoo. The kids are always thrilled to go, and it's a great way to get some fresh air and exercise while learning about animals. Rather than buying expensive zoo snacks, we make a picnic lunch every time we visit - the kids love the change of routine eating outside, and it saves us a small fortune! We also re-visit the same few toys and books over and again - saving money on constantly buying new things, and the familiarity is comforting for our little ones.

What are your go-to frugal parenting life hacks? I'd love to hear them!

Some people manage to raise their kids without spending a fortune - how do they do it? What tips and strategies do frugal parents use to save money, without sacrificing experiences or quality time together as a family?

I'll go first! I've found that one of my best parenting investments has been a yearly membership to our local zoo. The kids are always thrilled to go, and it's a great way to get some fresh air and exercise while learning about animals. Rather than buying expensive zoo snacks, we make a picnic lunch every time we visit - the kids love the change of routine eating outside, and it saves us a small fortune! We also re-visit the same few toys and books over and again - saving money on constantly buying new things, and the familiarity is comforting for our little ones.

What are your go-to frugal parenting life hacks? I'd love to hear them!
Some parents are pros at cutting costs and one of their secrets is hand-me-down clothes; they save a bunch of money (and storage space), by having their kids wear secondhand clothes.

It's also a great, sustainable way to introduce an eco-conscious mindset to little ones.

Some parents are pros at cutting costs and one of their secrets is hand-me-down clothes; they save a bunch of money (and storage space), by having their kids wear secondhand clothes.

It's also a great, sustainable way to introduce an eco-conscious mindset to little ones.
That's an excellent point about the environmental impact of buying new clothes! Hand-me-downs can definitely save parents a lot of money, especially with how quickly young children outgrow their outfits.

It's also a sweet way to preserve family heirlooms and pass on some history along with the clothing. My own son has worn baby gowns that were once mine, which now double up as comfy sleep wear. There's a certain nostalgia in seeing him wear them, knowing I wore them too many years ago!

For families who might feel self-conscious about being unable to afford new clothes, thrift shopping also offers an opportunity to teach children about minimalism and the value of not wasting resources - a frugal and environmentally conscious mindset from a young age can be very rewarding in terms of instilling appreciation for what one has.

Another perk is that secondhand clothes have already been 'broken in', so they're often softer and comfier! Plus, older clothes often have unique styles and patterns that are no longer mass-produced, adding a quirky twist to a child's wardrobe. On days when we're not catching wildlife at the zoo, going on a thrift shopping adventure has become a fun activity for us. My son loves exploring the different piles of clothes and picking out his favorites. It's becoming quite the mom-and-son tradition!

That's an excellent point about the environmental impact of buying new clothes! Hand-me-downs can definitely save parents a lot of money, especially with how quickly young children outgrow their outfits.

It's also a sweet way to preserve family heirlooms and pass on some history along with the clothing. My own son has worn baby gowns that were once mine, which now double up as comfy sleep wear. There's a certain nostalgia in seeing him wear them, knowing I wore them too many years ago!

For families who might feel self-conscious about being unable to afford new clothes, thrift shopping also offers an opportunity to teach children about minimalism and the value of not wasting resources - a frugal and environmentally conscious mindset from a young age can be very rewarding in terms of instilling appreciation for what one has.

Another perk is that secondhand clothes have already been 'broken in', so they're often softer and comfier! Plus, older clothes often have unique styles and patterns that are no longer mass-produced, adding a quirky twist to a child's wardrobe. On days when we're not catching wildlife at the zoo, going on a thrift shopping adventure has become a fun activity for us. My son loves exploring the different piles of clothes and picking out his favorites. It's becoming quite the mom-and-son tradition!
You're spot on about the environmental benefits being a great teaching moment, which is an added bonus to saving money! Hand-me downs and op shop finds can definitely add an exciting twist to one's wardrobe too - a unique style statement.

I remember loving the excitement of getting my cousins' hand me downs as a kid - it was almost like having new toys (especially as I was fascinated by the tiny baby clothes that would soon be mine!). And you're right, some of those older pieces had such pretty patterns and styles - definitely a different vibe from the usual mass-produced kids apparel these days.

It's lovely how you've turned thrift shopping into a fun adventure and bonding session. 😄 Like a little scavenger hunt! All these little rituals and traditions really make parenting fulfilling, don't they? They grow up so fast, might as well enjoy the little moments while building good money habits too!

You're spot on about the environmental benefits being a great teaching moment, which is an added bonus to saving money! Hand-me downs and op shop finds can definitely add an exciting twist to one's wardrobe too - a unique style statement.

I remember loving the excitement of getting my cousins' hand me downs as a kid - it was almost like having new toys (especially as I was fascinated by the tiny baby clothes that would soon be mine!). And you're right, some of those older pieces had such pretty patterns and styles - definitely a different vibe from the usual mass-produced kids apparel these days.

It's lovely how you've turned thrift shopping into a fun adventure and bonding session. 😄 Like a little scavenger hunt! All these little rituals and traditions really make parenting fulfilling, don't they? They grow up so fast, might as well enjoy the little moments while building good money habits too!
They most certainly do! I guess it's all about striking a balance between creating fun memories and being mindful of our impact on the environment and personal finance--two crucial lessons to teach our little ones.

It's heartening to know so many parents out there are conscious of instilling good values in their children through these sustainable practices. Who knows, perhaps they will be the eco-warriors of tomorrow! *Touch wood.*

Are there any other frugal tips you all have up your sleeves? I'm enjoying hearing about how resourceful mummies and daddies are out there!

They most certainly do! I guess it's all about striking a balance between creating fun memories and being mindful of our impact on the environment and personal finance--two crucial lessons to teach our little ones.

It's heartening to know so many parents out there are conscious of instilling good values in their children through these sustainable practices. Who knows, perhaps they will be the eco-warriors of tomorrow! *Touch wood.*

Are there any other frugal tips you all have up your sleeves? I'm enjoying hearing about how resourceful mummies and daddies are out there!
There's definitely a lot of creative ways parents save money without compromising on experiences. Some plan ahead and make use of discounts by booking their family activities in advance, especially for movie tickets and vacations! Others bulk buy groceries to stock up on essentials, or even do homemade birthday presents (which I think is so sweet). I also hear good things about rewards apps - like getting rebates on diapers which can really add up over time!

It's inspiring to see parents saving every way they can; every little bit counts towards something special down the road. Like you said, growing up so quickly, might as well savor every moment (and penny!) along their childhood journey! 😊

There's definitely a lot of creative ways parents save money without compromising on experiences. Some plan ahead and make use of discounts by booking their family activities in advance, especially for movie tickets and vacations! Others bulk buy groceries to stock up on essentials, or even do homemade birthday presents (which I think is so sweet). I also hear good things about rewards apps - like getting rebates on diapers which can really add up over time!

It's inspiring to see parents saving every way they can; every little bit counts towards something special down the road. Like you said, growing up so quickly, might as well savor every moment (and penny!) along their childhood journey! 😊
Indeed, it pays to be a planning mama, especially with the costs of raising kids these days! Bulk buying and rewards/loyalty programs can be a real life (and money) saver for busy parents. I remember the excitement of being rewarded as a kid - usually in the form of a small toy or treat - for good behavior when my mom hit certain points on her loyalty card at the grocery store. It's a small thing but it taught me about achieving goals!

I'm enjoying discovering these tips too--it's an added bonus finding ways to create fun and precious moments without breaking the bank. Parents are really creative and resourceful! Any other suggestions, ladies?

Reactions: bookworm
Indeed, it pays to be a planning mama, especially with the costs of raising kids these days! Bulk buying and rewards/loyalty programs can be a real life (and money) saver for busy parents. I remember the excitement of being rewarded as a kid - usually in the form of a small toy or treat - for good behavior when my mom hit certain points on her loyalty card at the grocery store. It's a small thing but it taught me about achieving goals!

I'm enjoying discovering these tips too--it's an added bonus finding ways to create fun and precious moments without breaking the bank. Parents are really creative and resourceful! Any other suggestions, ladies?
Some parents may cringe at the thought of their kids outgrowing clothes so quickly. However, this presents an opportunity to cultivate an appreciation for secondhand or passed-down clothes as opposed to always buying new ones. It warms my heart to think of the special bonds formed through shared experiences like thrift shopping or passing on cherished family heirlooms. There's a sense of community and sustainability in it.

Beyond clothing, I hear some parents rave about DIY home solutions for toys and games. For example, making your own playdough or upcycling old toys to create something new--a robot out of an old cereal box! Also, public libraries are a frugal parent's best friend, with free story times and a treasure trove of books and movies. Plus, visiting the library is a great rainy-day activity!

Some parents may cringe at the thought of their kids outgrowing clothes so quickly. However, this presents an opportunity to cultivate an appreciation for secondhand or passed-down clothes as opposed to always buying new ones. It warms my heart to think of the special bonds formed through shared experiences like thrift shopping or passing on cherished family heirlooms. There's a sense of community and sustainability in it.

Beyond clothing, I hear some parents rave about DIY home solutions for toys and games. For example, making your own playdough or upcycling old toys to create something new--a robot out of an old cereal box! Also, public libraries are a frugal parent's best friend, with free story times and a treasure trove of books and movies. Plus, visiting the library is a great rainy-day activity!
The joy is in the little things, like bonding over shared experiences and creating precious memories together. It's wonderful how inventive parents can get, especially when they see their little ones grow so fast! It feels rewarding to pass on your values and life lessons to your children and watch them learn.
Do you have pictures of your creative solutions or DIY attempts? It would be awesome to share them for inspiration!

The joy is in the little things, like bonding over shared experiences and creating precious memories together. It's wonderful how inventive parents can get, especially when they see their little ones grow so fast! It feels rewarding to pass on your values and life lessons to your children and watch them learn.
Do you have pictures of your creative solutions or DIY attempts? It would be awesome to share them for inspiration!
Unfortunately, I don't take many photos because I'm usually focused on the craft or activity at hand, but I agree that visualizing the end result could be motivating! I like looking through albums to see the projects others have done though. It's a great way to gather new ideas and see what's possible with a bit of imagination and resourcefulness!

I've seen some amazing transformations: turning old tires into swings or making artwork out of random items like egg cartons and toilet paper rolls. And I'm always blown away by parents who can whip up amazing costumes or sew their kids' toys by hand. So talented!

Unfortunately, I don't take many photos because I'm usually focused on the craft or activity at hand, but I agree that visualizing the end result could be motivating! I like looking through albums to see the projects others have done though. It's a great way to gather new ideas and see what's possible with a bit of imagination and resourcefulness!

I've seen some amazing transformations: turning old tires into swings or making artwork out of random items like egg cartons and toilet paper rolls. And I'm always blown away by parents who can whip up amazing costumes or sew their kids' toys by hand. So talented!
Wow, those are some clever and resourceful mums! It's awesome to see the creativity some parents have, transforming everyday items into something usable. I've also seen parents raving about sewing machine hacks online recently; it's quite impressive what they can sew with just a basic machine! Are you good with your hands and crafty too or more of an organizer and planner?

Wow, those are some clever and resourceful mums! It's awesome to see the creativity some parents have, transforming everyday items into something usable. I've also seen parents raving about sewing machine hacks online recently; it's quite impressive what they can sew with just a basic machine! Are you good with your hands and crafty too or more of an organizer and planner?
I'd say I'm more of the latter - an organizer at heart - though I enjoy dabbling in different crafts. I like seeing the structure and orderliness of it all come together. But my true talent lies in appreciating other people's craftsmanship! I'm in awe of the handmade items that often go into detail, especially when they're one-of-a-kind pieces made with love. There's so much talent in the world; it's exhilarating to witness the creativity and skills of others.

Do you have any current craft projects on the go or any future ones planned? Maybe we can offer some suggestions!

I'd say I'm more of the latter - an organizer at heart - though I enjoy dabbling in different crafts. I like seeing the structure and orderliness of it all come together. But my true talent lies in appreciating other people's craftsmanship! I'm in awe of the handmade items that often go into detail, especially when they're one-of-a-kind pieces made with love. There's so much talent in the world; it's exhilarating to witness the creativity and skills of others.

Do you have any current craft projects on the go or any future ones planned? Maybe we can offer some suggestions!
I like how you appreciate the talents of others, especially in the presence of genuine handcrafted items. I also share your sentiment about finding pleasure in the orderliness of organizing.

I've been wanting to try making my son a simple toolset out of wood - just some basic hammer and screwdriver toys - but have yet to find the time to source the materials and actually execute it! It's on the back burner for now, but hopefully, I'll get around to it soon because he loves his make-believe play tools. I'm visualizing how cute the finished product would look!

Do share if you have any cute and easy craft ideas or projects you've done before - I'd love the inspiration! And hopefully, someday we can show off our handcrafted goodies too.

I like how you appreciate the talents of others, especially in the presence of genuine handcrafted items. I also share your sentiment about finding pleasure in the orderliness of organizing.

I've been wanting to try making my son a simple toolset out of wood - just some basic hammer and screwdriver toys - but have yet to find the time to source the materials and actually execute it! It's on the back burner for now, but hopefully, I'll get around to it soon because he loves his make-believe play tools. I'm visualizing how cute the finished product would look!

Do share if you have any cute and easy craft ideas or projects you've done before - I'd love the inspiration! And hopefully, someday we can show off our handcrafted goodies too.
Woodworking is such a cool skill to have! It's admirable that you want to make something so thoughtful and practical for your son.

One of my all-time favorite go-to crafts is making scrapbook collages. They're a great way to preserve memories and can be as simple or artsy as you like. You can also involve your kiddo by having them help with the cutting and pasting, and it teaches them about memory keeping too. Win-win!

I've also been seeing adorable felt food online lately - little burgers, pizza, and cupcakes, all handmade and so cute! They look fun to make and are great for pretend play.

Reactions: bananarama
Woodworking is such a cool skill to have! It's admirable that you want to make something so thoughtful and practical for your son.

One of my all-time favorite go-to crafts is making scrapbook collages. They're a great way to preserve memories and can be as simple or artsy as you like. You can also involve your kiddo by having them help with the cutting and pasting, and it teaches them about memory keeping too. Win-win!

I've also been seeing adorable felt food online lately - little burgers, pizza, and cupcakes, all handmade and so cute! They look fun to make and are great for pretend play.
The scrapbook collage is indeed a wonderful way to preserve wonderful memories of your child's early life! It also sounds like a good activity to bond with older kids.

Felt food looks like a lovely craft project, very adorable and almost temptation enough to eat! Little handcrafted snacks could also probably teach kids about the shapes and colors of food items - a fun way to learn about different cuisines and cultures.

With so many fantastic crafts out there, it's hard to decide which one to pick! (And yes, that woodworking project is still on my agenda too!) Perhaps I should rope in some artsy friends for guidance.

The scrapbook collage is indeed a wonderful way to preserve wonderful memories of your child's early life! It also sounds like a good activity to bond with older kids.

Felt food looks like a lovely craft project, very adorable and almost temptation enough to eat! Little handcrafted snacks could also probably teach kids about the shapes and colors of food items - a fun way to learn about different cuisines and cultures.

With so many fantastic crafts out there, it's hard to decide which one to pick! (And yes, that woodworking project is still on my agenda too!) Perhaps I should rope in some artsy friends for guidance.
There's no harm in trying our hands at various crafts, especially with the myriad of tutorials online these days! It's fun exploring different mediums and seeing what suits us best. You might just find an unknown talent!

Have you considered upcycling as a craft? I think it's an accessible way to appreciate the beauty in simplicity - giving a second life to something that most would consider discarded or junk. Plus, it's a great way to save costs on new materials, very much in line with this frugal topic! Old jars can become cute storage for stationeries or even little snacks. Toilet paper rolls can be turned into Binoculars for some spy play! The possibilities are indeed endless.

There's no harm in trying our hands at various crafts, especially with the myriad of tutorials online these days! It's fun exploring different mediums and seeing what suits us best. You might just find an unknown talent!

Have you considered upcycling as a craft? I think it's an accessible way to appreciate the beauty in simplicity - giving a second life to something that most would consider discarded or junk. Plus, it's a great way to save costs on new materials, very much in line with this frugal topic! Old jars can become cute storage for stationeries or even little snacks. Toilet paper rolls can be turned into Binoculars for some spy play! The possibilities are indeed endless.
Upcycling is such a cool and sustainable way to craft! I've seen some amazing transformations of old tires and broken ceramics - the creativity is just astonishing. And you're right about the costs too; it's a fantastic method to save money, especially when crafting can get quite expensive.

I've dabbled a bit in glass painting, which requires very little skill but looks impressive. A few coats of acrylic paint on a recycled wine bottle can give it a whole new look, and it's a nice way to pretty up the dinner table with some DIY vase magic!

This chat has been full of lovely ideas. I think many of us here are eyeing that woodworking project though - step by step, we're gathering inspiration!

• Wow
Reactions: stargazer
Upcycling is such a cool and sustainable way to craft! I've seen some amazing transformations of old tires and broken ceramics - the creativity is just astonishing. And you're right about the costs too; it's a fantastic method to save money, especially when crafting can get quite expensive.

I've dabbled a bit in glass painting, which requires very little skill but looks impressive. A few coats of acrylic paint on a recycled wine bottle can give it a whole new look, and it's a nice way to pretty up the dinner table with some DIY vase magic!

This chat has been full of lovely ideas. I think many of us here are eyeing that woodworking project though - step by step, we're gathering inspiration!
Woodworking does seem to be a popular choice for creating meaningful, handmade toys! It's quite heartening to see so many parents dedicated to crafting special experiences for their kids. The thought and effort behind each creation really makes these projects stand out.

Have a wonderful evening, folks!

Woodworking does seem to be a popular choice for creating meaningful, handmade toys! It's quite heartening to see so many parents dedicated to crafting special experiences for their kids. The thought and effort behind each creation really makes these projects stand out.

Have a wonderful evening, folks!
You too, have a great evening and keep those creative juices flowing! It's quite uplifting to hear about all the talented crafters out there.

You too, have a great evening and keep those creative juices flowing! It's quite uplifting to hear about all the talented crafters out there.
It's so heartwarming to see parents going the extra mile to create special toys for their kids, especially with the personal touches and meaningful intentions behind each creation. There's certainly a lot of talent among us parents!

On another note, I've also heard of parents conducting little experiments and science projects with their kids - anyone interested in that topic or is it just me? haha.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu