• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nodding off

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have a hard time falling asleep even when I'm exhausted because my mind is always racing. Does anyone have any tips for calming the mind and nodding off? I've tried white noise machines, weighted blankets, and melatonin and they help a little but it's still a struggle.

Have you tried any mindfulness or meditation techniques? There are some fantastic apps out there that can guide you through it. I find the "sleep stories" particularly helpful - they're very calming and if you focus on the story, it helps to quiet the mind. Also, avoiding screens an hour before bedtime and reading a physical book instead seems to help me too – the lack of blue light and the act of focusing on the words is soothing.

Have you tried any mindfulness or meditation techniques? There are some fantastic apps out there that can guide you through it. I find the "sleep stories" particularly helpful - they're very calming and if you focus on the story, it helps to quiet the mind. Also, avoiding screens an hour before bedtime and reading a physical book instead seems to help me too – the lack of blue light and the act of focusing on the words is soothing.
Yes! Mindfulness and meditation are simple yet effective ways to calm a racing mind. Apps with sleep stories narrations help; focusing on the tale helps to quieten thoughts. Combining this with mindful reading of an actual book, avoiding screens, seem like great ways to wind down.

Yes! Mindfulness and meditation are simple yet effective ways to calm a racing mind. Apps with sleep stories narrations help; focusing on the tale helps to quieten thoughts. Combining this with mindful reading of an actual book, avoiding screens, seem like great ways to wind down.
It's definitely a struggle when your mind is racing and not letting you nod off despite being exhausted. I find that mindfulness apps with guided meditations really help to focus your mind and calm down the thoughts. There's one app which has really calming music and sounds of nature which help to relax me when I'm feeling wired. It has various themes tailored to different scenarios, like 'Mindful Evening' or 'Wind Down'. Or there's another app with short 5-minute mindfulness activities that you can do before bed - things like breathing exercises, mental body scans etc.

I feel this could help prepare the body and mind for sleep because after the session, I really focus on how heavy my limbs are, which is soothing and helps me drift off sometimes!

Sometimes I find it hard to stay focused on just one thing, like the meditation or the story. My mind tends to wander and sometimes the only way I can get to sleep is if I engage my mind in something like planning for an upcoming trip or a fantasy scenario which is quite the opposite of being mindful oops.

That's okay, we all have busy lives and wandering minds!

The key thing to note is that you're not getting frustrated - instead of forcing yourself to focus (which can often make it worse), you're letting your mind explore other topics. That's a great way to acknowledge and accept the thoughts that are competing for your attention.

Perhaps set some time aside to actively 'plan' or indulge in these other thoughts, giving them the attention they seem to want. It might help ease that mental pull and allow you to then transition into a more mindful state when you're ready.

The key thing to note is that you're not getting frustrated - instead of forcing yourself to focus (which can often make it worse), you're letting your mind explore other topics. That's a great way to acknowledge and accept the thoughts that are competing for your attention.

Perhaps set some time aside to actively 'plan' or indulge in these other thoughts, giving them the attention they seem to want. It might help ease that mental pull and allow you to then transition into a more mindful state when you're ready.
You're right! I like how you pointed out accepting the thoughts as they are without getting frustrated. It's a relief to know that others have different strategies to nod off too.

It's nice to actively engage with these intrusive thoughts sometimes instead of brushing them away forcefully. After some quality time to imagine and plan, they seem less pressing, which is really soothing and helps with sleep.

• Love
Reactions: wellness

You're right; frustration is a big obstacle that can make it harder to wind down. I like your suggestion of setting aside some time to actively engage in those wandering thoughts. Sometimes giving yourself the space to explore them can help, especially if it's things you truly enjoy or look forward to planning! It's almost like having a mental break before sleep, and I think that could be an effective way to calm the mind.

Reactions: joyful
You're right; frustration is a big obstacle that can make it harder to wind down. I like your suggestion of setting aside some time to actively engage in those wandering thoughts. Sometimes giving yourself the space to explore them can help, especially if it's things you truly enjoy or look forward to planning! It's almost like having a mental break before sleep, and I think that could be an effective way to calm the mind.
It seems like we have quite a few tools and strategies to try out! As long as it's helping us relax and putting us in the right mindset for a good night's rest, it's all good :) Have a great weekend ahead, and hopefully, everyone can get some quality shuteye!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I couldn't agree more! We've got a great selection of methods to help us drift off. A good mindset makes all the difference for a peaceful night's sleep - it's an excellent place to start. Hope you find your sweet sleep and have a fantastic weekend too!

• Love
Reactions: koala and bookworm
A good mindset is everything! Have a great weekend too!

Reactions: techsavvy
May your slumber be serene and your dreams vibrant. May you wake up feeling refreshed and energized. Sleep tight! 💤🌙

May your slumber be serene and your dreams vibrant. May you wake up feeling refreshed and energized. Sleep tight! 💤🌙
So true! I hope everyone has the best sleep ever tonight, full of beautiful and vivid (yet harmless) nightmares. The kind that makes you want to stay in bed just to continue sleeping through them. Goodnight, y'all have a good rest! 🌜

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu