• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Work-Life

Great to hear your strategies! I especially relate to setting clear boundaries and trying not to let work invade personal spaces, otherwise, it'll consume your entire being. I also like how you scheduled "me time" and dedicated family time - it's a good way to compartmentalize and organize your life so that no aspect is neglected.
Compartmentalization is a great way to put things in perspective and manage our busy lives! It's an easy trap to fall into, having work bleed into personal time, especially with technology keeping us so accessible. Setting those clear boundaries helps maintain some sanity!

Great to hear your strategies! I especially relate to setting clear boundaries and trying not to let work invade personal spaces, otherwise, it'll consume your entire being. I also like how you scheduled "me time" and dedicated family time - it's a good way to compartmentalize and organize your life so that no aspect is neglected.
Yes, work-life balance is a tricky thing to manage! It requires conscious effort and planning, or else we'd all just become workaholics!

Yes, setting expectations and managing them is a great tactic to navigate this issue. I find that communication is key to avoiding misunderstandings and subsequent disappointments. Being proactive about sharing my availability has definitely helped me avoid last-minute requests that might disrupt my personal plans.

Yes, setting expectations from the beginning helps manage work-life balance. It's an effective strategy to avoid the blurring of boundaries and potential burnout!

My approach is straightforward - keep work and personal lives separate as much as possible. Besides having different phone numbers and keeping physical distance, I make it a point to avoid discussing work matters with non-colleagues. That clear divide helps me and those around me respect the boundary.
That's a smart way to maintain some distance and mystery, especially with colleagues so that you're not inundated by work talk everywhere you go!

That's an interesting strategy with the meals - I like how you use them as transition points between work and personal life. As a mindful eating advocate, I've found it helpful in improving presence and appreciation too.

I also can't agree more with the planner suggestion; visuals are so satisfying for organizing one's to-dos and giving an overview of your week - it makes everything feel more manageable!
Yes, I love flipping through my planner and getting a bird's eye view of my schedule. There's something very satisfying about physically writing down plans and ticking them off too. The satisfaction of completing tasks and visually organizing my week is so satisfying!

That's an interesting strategy with the meals - I like how you use them as transition points between work and personal life. As a mindful eating advocate, I've found it helpful in improving presence and appreciation too.

I also can't agree more with the planner suggestion; visuals are so satisfying for organizing one's to-dos and giving an overview of your week - it makes everything feel more manageable!
Yes, mindful eating helps me too, especially to avoid mindless snacking while working! Using a planner together with my calendar keeps me sane and I do find that visually satisfying too.

Yes! Having a visual representation is satisfying and helps me keep things in perspective. I especially love looking back on my week and reflecting on how productive I've been - there's something rewarding about visually seeing the progress and checking off the completed tasks. It's also a great reminder that I've accomplished more than I might remember at first!

Visual planners are SO satisfying - the satisfaction of checking off completed tasks is a simple yet effective joy!

On the topic of meals, I'm curious: As someone who prioritizes mindful eating, what are some strategies you employ to ensure that mealtimes remain mindful and enjoyable, especially during busy periods? I sometimes find myself rushing meals, which negates the positive effects of my intentional eating practice.

Meals as transition points help me mentally prepare for the upcoming activities. Using a planner has changed my life - having a visual worklife calendar and personal schedule in one place feels less overwhelming than using digital tools. There's satisfaction in ticking off completed tasks too!

I find that visually organizing my week helps me a lot, especially with managing my energy levels. Some days I have more energy than others, so being able to plan ahead and see my week at a glance lets me distribute my workload mentally. I can prepare myself for a particularly trying day, or schedule fun activities on days when I know I'll be full of beans.

Visual planners are a lifesaver for organization! They help me keep track of everything I have going on, especially when it feels like my to-do list is never ending.

My approach is straightforward - keep work and personal lives separate as much as possible. Besides having different phone numbers and keeping physical distance, I make it a point to avoid discussing work matters with non-colleagues. That clear divide helps me and those around me respect the boundary.
That's an interesting take! Maintaining a distinct separation certainly helps clarify your focus and priorities, especially with a clear physical and communication boundary. Seems like you've found what works best for you, which is great!

That's a good point! Keeping communications streamlined and contained within professional networks ensures that work doesn't spill over unintentionally. It also makes your personal time feel more special and intentional.

That's a good strategy to maintain a clear line between your work and personal life. It's a simple yet effective way to ensure that each domain remains distinct and doesn't bleed into the other, preventing misunderstandings and unnecessary stress.

That's a smart way of maintaining sanity, especially by not dragging your personal life into work conversations. I'm sure that does wonders in preventing burnout!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and nature
That's a sensible strategy that many professionals should consider! Keeping a clean break between work and personal life lets you focus on the present task at hand, which improves efficiency too.

As someone who works a 996 schedule (meaning I work from 9am to 9pm, 6 days a week), work-life balance is almost non-existent for me, especially with a young child at home. But it's a choice I've made knowing that the long hours are temporary until I can hire more staff. To keep my sanity, I make sure that some of my weekdays are entirely booked for personal time - no work, no emails, and very minimal calls, except for emergency ones.

During my days off, which I have twice a week, I go to great lengths to unplug from work mode. Logging out of all work accounts on those days helps me mentally check out. Meanwhile, on work days, I make sure to maximize the efficiency of my time so that I can wrap up and spend quality time with my family in the evenings.

Additionally, I try not to bring any work-related issues up during meal times or when spending direct, focused time with my son. Being present at these moments really helps me disconnect, even just temporarily. When overwhelmed with deadlines, I practice slow, deep breathing to recenter myself and prioritize tasks to avoid burnout.

Despite the challenges, one of the positives of having limited time outside of work is that it has forced me to become highly efficient at time management. I delegate when possible, streamline processes, and say no without hesitation to any non-essential side projects or commitments. Would love to hear more about your yoga-inspired strategies and if there are any specific routines or mindfulness practices I could incorporate!
Wow, you're certainly going through a demanding phase! I appreciate your commitment and the thoughtful measures you've put in place, especially using deep breathing and mindful presence during mealtimes.

Since you're interested in yoga-inspired strategies, here's a simple one that helps me stay grounded:

Try this 3-minute mindfulness routine whenever you're feeling frazzled:

1. Breath Work: Focus on your breath. Close your eyes and slowly count each inhalation and exhalation up to 5 cycles.

2. Scan Your Body: Bring awareness to different parts of your body, starting with your toes and moving up to the top of your head. Mentally scan each body part, noticing any sensations and then releasing any tension.

3. Simple Pose Sequence: When you're feeling cramped or stressful, try this basic yoga sequence: Start standing, feet hip-width apart. Fold forward, hinge at the hips; then slowly roll back up, vertebra by vertebra. Next, open your legs wide into a T-pose, turning your torso to face one side, folding into a sideways hinge. Come back to center and repeat for the other side.

This mind-calming, physical movement can be done anywhere and helps to reconnect you with your body and surroundings.

You might also consider exploring meditation or guided visualizations for stress relief and better sleep, which are quick, powerful tools!

That's insightful, especially liking how you use mealtimes as transitions to switch gears. As a fellow working parent, I feel those strategies are crucial! Also love the idea of reviewing what brings joy - it keeps things real and purpose-driven. Thanks for sharing your perspective!
You're most welcome; it's encouraging to hear that you related to my strategies! mindful practices can help us working parents keep our sanity and sense of purpose amidst busy schedules :)

As someone who works a 996 schedule (meaning I work from 9am to 9pm, 6 days a week), work-life balance is almost non-existent for me, especially with a young child at home. But it's a choice I've made knowing that the long hours are temporary until I can hire more staff. To keep my sanity, I make sure that some of my weekdays are entirely booked for personal time - no work, no emails, and very minimal calls, except for emergency ones.

During my days off, which I have twice a week, I go to great lengths to unplug from work mode. Logging out of all work accounts on those days helps me mentally check out. Meanwhile, on work days, I make sure to maximize the efficiency of my time so that I can wrap up and spend quality time with my family in the evenings.

Additionally, I try not to bring any work-related issues up during meal times or when spending direct, focused time with my son. Being present at these moments really helps me disconnect, even just temporarily. When overwhelmed with deadlines, I practice slow, deep breathing to recenter myself and prioritize tasks to avoid burnout.

Despite the challenges, one of the positives of having limited time outside of work is that it has forced me to become highly efficient at time management. I delegate when possible, streamline processes, and say no without hesitation to any non-essential side projects or commitments. Would love to hear more about your yoga-inspired strategies and if there are any specific routines or mindfulness practices I could incorporate!
My strategy involves embracing a holistic view of wellness, which includes physical, mental, and emotional aspects. This means taking a intentional break from the busy-ness of life to focus on our intrinsic needs. As such, my suggestions may lean more towards the spiritual side of things, but oh well, here goes!

Firstly, I would suggest a daily mindfulness practice - perhaps 10 minutes of meditation or conscious breathing Space out these sessions if you can't fit it into your day, say, five minutes upon waking up and another five minutes before bedtime. This anchor points can help bookend your day with clear beginning and ending points. If sitting still isn't your thing, try slow, gentle yoga stretches - most poses have calming and grounding effects.

Furthermore, the art of journaling, which can take many forms, is a great way to check in with yourself. Whether it's writing down your thoughts or doing some mindful drawing, the process allows you to gain clarity and awareness. You might want to jot down feelings of gratitude, which research has shown to increase our sense of well-being.

And if you're spending hours seated, make sure you get a good stretch in too - chair yoga is amazing for this! Forward folds and hip openers can release tension from sitting all day. Finally, add some aromatherapy into your routine - lavender essential oil, for instance, has soothing and calming properties.

Don't worry about having to fit all these new habits at once; remember, slow and steady wins the race! Pick one or two that resonate with you, and integrate them into your lifestyle first. You might find some stick naturally, and others may fall away - that's okay! It's all part of the exploration and discovery. Namaste!

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu