• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Work-Life

That's right. Setting clear boundaries helps avoid the danger of work life encroaching on personal time. It's important to establish these borders especially for those with busy schedules.
drawing those lines keeps work-life intrusion at bay and preserves some much-needed downtime. But it's harder than one might think, especially with the always-on work culture these days!

That's right. Setting clear boundaries helps avoid the danger of work life encroaching on personal time. It's important to establish these borders especially for those with busy schedules.
Yes drawing the line preserves your sanity and ensures you're present when needed - at work during work hours and with family during personal time. It's a mental health issue too - being able to switch off from work stresses when you're not there helps prevent burnout.

That's commendable! Compartmentalising and setting strict boundaries helps ensure that you're mentally present wherever you are and with whoever you're with. It's important to establish these habits and teach your son about healthy work-life separation too.
It is crucial to lead by example, especially as he picks up life lessons! I want him to look back and appreciate the importance of quality time vs. quantity.

That's commendable! Compartmentalising and setting strict boundaries helps ensure that you're mentally present wherever you are and with whoever you're with. It's important to establish these habits and teach your son about healthy work-life separation too.
it is a skill that I am slowly teaching my young one. She understands that Mummy's work time is when we aren't together, and she has learned the art of putting up imaginary walls to some extent - which unfortunately doesn't always work for a 4 year old. Still, I appreciate the effort even if she can't contain her excitement at times! It's an ongoing journey but a fulfilling one to navigate this work-life maze.

Yes, I agree! Teaching him young about the importance of balance will hopefully help him navigate this aspect of life as he grows up. These values and habits may also encourage more family time and strengthen our bond.

the struggle to protect personal time while balancing work is real! Clear boundaries are a great strategy; what other tactics do you employ to keep yourself from getting overwhelmed?
Boundaries are a big help, especially in keeping my daughter's time exclusive and special. Besides that, I make sure to have some form of physical activity after work - sometimes it's just walking our dog, or doing some yoga. It helps me wind down and shifts my mind away from the day's work, so I'm more present with my daughter during our evening routines.

Also, I try not to get too hung up on perfection - I'm human, and imperfection is inevitable sometimes. So, I make peace with doing my best; otherwise, the stress would be overwhelming. I figure if something's worth doing, it's worth doing well, but that doesn't mean perfecting it!

I also keep a running list of 'things to sort' which helps me mentally offload from memory. Knowing I have it written down means I can focus on more pressing matters - like remembering whose turn it is to pick up my daughter! That mental clearance helps keep me organized and less stressed.

That's a healthy approach to keeping your sanity amidst the chaos of work and personal life! Clear boundaries keep the two realms separate and avoid them bleeding into each other. Your time division also ensures that your son gets uninterrupted quality time with you. Good on ya for prioritizing! Does anyone else have strategies that help maintain this elusive work-life balance?
There's no one-size-fits-all approach to maintaining work-life balance. Some people are just lucky or good at setting boundaries; it is not an inherent skill for most of us! It is a constant battle, and sometimes we just have to remind ourselves that our mental health and personal relationships should come first. For the mamas out there, your children will definitely appreciate your thoughtful scheduling!

Sometimes it's also important to re-evaluate your goals and what you want to achieve career-wise. Are the long hours at work necessary for your long-term goals or are they just habits? Keeping the big picture in mind helps me maintain perspective on what's a worthwhile tradeoff and what's not.
You're right! It's crucial to periodically review your goals and aspirations to ensure your efforts align with them. That reminds me: what actually matters to you is often forgotten amidst the hustle and bustle of life. Taking time to reflect and realign is a beneficial practice I also try to uphold!

Sometimes it's also important to re-evaluate your goals and what you want to achieve career-wise. Are the long hours at work necessary for your long-term goals or are they just habits? Keeping the big picture in mind helps me maintain perspective on what's a worthwhile tradeoff and what's not.
You're right about keeping our eyes on our long-term goals. It's so easy to get swept away by the day-to-day responsibilities and forget about our larger career objectives. Taking the time to reflect and prioritize is vital so that we don't get swept away by busywork. That perspective really helps us discern between productive and fruitless efforts!

What about you? Do you have any other insightful strategies for maintaining a balanced perspective while managing work and personal commitments?

You make an essential point about regularly reviewing one's career goals. The reasons for working long hours can get blurred over time, and it's helpful to remind yourself of the bigger picture. Are the sacrifices you're making now in line with your longer-term objectives?

It's also a good strategy to break down those goals into smaller, achievable tasks or milestones. That way, progress feels more manageable, and you can celebrate the small wins along the way, which is motivating. This approach can help justify the time commitments, especially when the work-life balance feels tipping towards the work side.

Remember, there's more to life than work, as fulfilling as your career might be! (That singlish word for it escapes me now, but I'm sure you know what I mean!)

I'm also a proponent of time blocking! What activities do you usually fill your personal time blocks with? Do you have any special ways of keeping the excitement and energy up for those committed personal slots?
As an introvert, I cherish my alone time, so most of my personal time blocks are spent on solo activities. I like to read, write, or catch up on some TV shows. I also love taking baths - that's my ultimate way of unwinding after a long day.

When it comes to maintaining excitement, variety helps! I keep a backlog of different activities I'd like to try - anything from a new hike or swimming at the nearby pool to visiting an art exhibition. Keeping a diverse lineup ensures things don't get mundane, which helps me stay engaged and enthusiastic.

Every once in a while, I'll have a brainstorming session with myself, jotting down all the ideas for things I'd like to explore. That helps me stay intrigued and reminded of the upcoming fun. Sometimes, I also indulge in some retail therapy and treat myself to something nice as a surprise. A little material incentive goes a long way in making time blocks feel special!

That's a great strategy! Using calendars or planners is a simple yet effective way many people forget about until they're burnt out. What hobbies do you usually fit into your scheduled 'me time'?
For me time, I love indulging in activities that let me unwind and relax. I enjoy yoga and catching up on my reading during my me-time blocks. Sometimes I also use this time to meet up with my friends for a chill hangout session - catching up, sharing advice, and having some coffee. Other times, I just stay home and watch some feel-good movies or shows - something to put my feet up and decompress!

Keeping the excitement up is easier when it's time spent with loved ones, so that's a natural motivator! But for solo activities, I'd say the excitement lies in the freedom of choosing whatever that brings you joy: whether it's a walk in the park, painting, or an episode of your favorite show. Knowing that it's dedicated 'me time' makes it feel special and worthwhile. ;)

That's a great strategy! Using calendars or planners is a simple yet effective way many people forget about until they're burnt out. What hobbies do you usually fit into your scheduled 'me time'?
My hobbies are often reading, drawing, and lately, I've gotten into embroidery, which is quite relaxing! I also enjoy baking and cooking during my downtime. I find these activities soothing and a welcome change from the mental space work demands.

To keep things exciting, especially for family time, I sometimes plan little surprises or outings. My son loves it when we go to the park or have a small picnic. Just recently, I organized a movie night under the stars in our backyard - we cozied up with blankets and snacks, which was a huge hit! Keeping things varied and special keeps the excitement level high.

Do you have any strategies for making these sessions exciting or at the very least, enjoyable? I find that doing the same things repeatedly can get mundane and deter me from looking forward to them.
Mixing things up keeps it interesting! I like to switch hobbies every once in a while - lately, I've been alternating between gardening and baking. The seasons also help with that excitement factor; there's nothing like springtime enthusiasm for the year ahead or autumn coziness that inspires me! I also make sure to occasionally indulge in treats or buy myself small tokens as rewards for keeping up with my hobbies. It's a simple but effective trick! Does anyone else have fun ways of spicing things up?

Do you have any strategies for making these sessions exciting or at the very least, enjoyable? I find that doing the same things repeatedly can get mundane and deter me from looking forward to them.
Good question! Making the most of my personal time is also something I struggle with. But I've found a couple of ways to keep these sessions interesting:

- Diversity is key! Mix up your hobbies and activities so that you have variety in your schedule. For instance, go for hiking one weekend and try pottery the next. Having something new to look forward to keeps things exciting.

- Indulge in some 'guilt-free' me-time by setting aside some sessions just for pure relaxation - no commitments or productivity pressures. Soak in a hot bath, binge-watch a show, or sleep in late. Knowing that you're doing something purely for the heck of it can be liberating!

- Themes could also liven up your routine. Plan a movie night with a different theme each time or try a cooking session focused on a specific cuisine. Dressing up, setting the mood, and immersing yourself can make regular activities more fun.

- Finally, involve others by organizing little gatherings or get-togethers centered around a common interest. Meet up with friends for a hiking trip or join a community garden clean-up - having company can make a mundane chore more enjoyable. Or, if you prefer your me-time solo, consider joining a club to add a social element to your hobbies.

Hopefully, these ideas help make your personal sessions more exhilarating! What specific activities would you like to slot in your time blocks?

Yes, balancing acts can be difficult especially when you're a yes-man! I agree with the boundaries and prioritizing personal time; it's just like setting up boundaries for yourself - much needed!
I make sure that the activities during my personal time are varied and chosen based on what I feel like doing at the moment. This helps to keep things exciting because there is an element of novelty each time. For instance, in one week, I could go for a run in the park, spend the next hour learning the ukulele, meet up with friends for dinner another day, and dedicatedly play board games on another.

Making these plans visible on a calendar or planner can also help, especially if you're the visual type! Seeing the variety of activities can stimulate excitement. Marking each completed session can give you a sense of accomplishment too. I usually use a cute sticker or colourful marker to mark them off - it's satisfying and encourages me to keep the streak going!

That's great to know! Keep those boundaries firm and protect your precious family time!
Yes, it is an intentional and conscious effort to maintain boundaries, especially in today's interconnected world where work life can easily spill over into our personal time. It's wonderful to see others succeeding in protecting their precious personal time. Do you have any other tips for our readers?

That's a great insight on how work can consume one's life if we let it! Setting those boundaries is crucial and being assertive about them too.
You're right; assertion is a skill that many of us have to learn, especially those in people-pleaser roles! It's a valuable talent, and I'm sure many mothers excel at it - assertiveness training for the win!

That's a great insight on how work can consume one's life if we let it! Setting those boundaries is crucial and being assertive about them too.
You're right; it's easy to let work expand and consume everything. Being assertive is a useful skill, one which I'm sure many moms have honed!

That's spot on! The greedy relative analogy is an apt description of how work can encroach on personal space when left unchecked. Setting those boundaries and prioritizing family time is a great way to maintain some perspective. Effective time management ensures the important personal moments are safeguarded.
the busy work life often calls for some tough love! It's crucial to remind oneself that there's more to life than work - hobbies, families, and personal passions are equally important for a fulfilled life.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu