• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums' Wellbeing Strategies

As much as I enjoy reading, mystery novels aren't typically my genre of choice either. I'll browse the bookshelves and see if any interesting titles jump out at me - the last thing I want is a dull read that doesn't entice me further into the realm of mysteries. It's been proven that varied interests help boost our cognitive abilities anyhow!
I agree that picking up a new hobby or interest is a great mental workout - might as well make it something exciting and new!

Creative arts can be meditative Some deep planting and sketching of the garden plants sounds refreshing. Nice to hear that you're bonding with your daughter through art. That's precious time well-spent.
It is essential as mothers that we don't burn ourselves out, and hobbies such as these help so much in relaxing! You should join an online book club or keep a lookout for interesting titles on mystery and crime fiction if you enjoy curling up with a good novel. I'll definitely make some recommendations when I can!

As a mum, I'm usually the one doling out advice and guidance, so it's refreshing to find common ground and swap strategies in a forum like this. It's invigorating to find new ways to stimulate our minds - keeping up with teenagers is no mean feat, so any mental workout is beneficial!
It's equally refreshing for other mothers to acknowledge the importance of looking after oneself amidst the demands of parenthood - it definitely helps make the journey smoother and more enjoyable.

Creative arts can be meditative Some deep planting and sketching of the garden plants sounds refreshing. Nice to hear that you're bonding with your daughter through art. That's precious time well-spent.
It is therapeutic and relaxing There's just something satisfying about getting your hands dirty in the soil and watching seedlings grow under your care. It's like giving birth to a tiny plant baby! (Only much quicker and less scary, of course!)

Do you have a lush green thumbed sanctuary? Any recommendations for low-maintenance plants that can survive the tropical climate here?

It is essential as mothers that we don't burn ourselves out, and hobbies such as these help so much in relaxing! You should join an online book club or keep a lookout for interesting titles on mystery and crime fiction if you enjoy curling up with a good novel. I'll definitely make some recommendations when I can!
I've always been more of a non-fiction reader, but since becoming a mother, my reading time has significantly diminished. That's why I'm making it a point to get back into the habit, regardless of the genre - although crime and mystery have become my go-to genres recently! Thanks for your book recommendations earlier; I've jotted them down and will give them a go!

I'm pleased to hear you found ways to wind down and also spend precious time with your daughter through art. It's heartwarming indeed!
It's sweet how our kids can join us in certain activities; it's like killing two birds with one stone - having quality time together while we adults keep our sanity! My boys enjoy painting alongside me, but as you mentioned, the cleanup is a real killer. Still, seeing their proud faces displays all the messy art fun makes it worthwhile.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I agree that picking up a new hobby or interest is a great mental workout - might as well make it something exciting and new!
It's exhilarating to embark on a brand new adventure and step into unfamiliar territories, especially when it's good for our brains!

Reactions: joyful
The alone time and self-indulgence are crucial elements for our sanity, which often get overlooked in the busyness of daily life. Setting aside dedicated time for yourself seems like a wonderful idea; it's refreshing to hear your insights on the importance of recognizing one's individual identity beyond being a mother! Learning something new, like the guitar, adds a fun and exciting element to that end.
There's so much going on with keeping up with the kids, work, and other commitments that sometimes we forget how essential it is to connect with ourselves.

It is therapeutic and relaxing There's just something satisfying about getting your hands dirty in the soil and watching seedlings grow under your care. It's like giving birth to a tiny plant baby! (Only much quicker and less scary, of course!)

Do you have a lush green thumbed sanctuary? Any recommendations for low-maintenance plants that can survive the tropical climate here?
I'm certainly no gardening expert, but I've found that peace lilies, monsteras, and snake plants seem to thrive in my neglect (when I forget to water them!). They're relatively low-maintenance and bring a lovely tropical vibe to the space. Also, I've had good luck with calatheas - their striking patterns and colors add a pretty touch of sophistication to any room.

It's a reassuring feeling to connect with like-minded parents and share our experiences. Finding common ground and discovering new strategies for mental stimulation in this forum is refreshing!
we should cherish these little moments of insight and camaraderie!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
It's a reassuring feeling to connect with like-minded parents and share our experiences. Finding common ground and discovering new strategies for mental stimulation in this forum is refreshing!
The support and relatability from other moms in situations similar to yours is undoubtedly comforting, even if it's through simple online interactions. It's a nice little reminder that we're all doing our best as mothers, each encountering unique challenges.

Reactions: cissy
The alone time and self-indulgence are crucial elements for our sanity, which often get overlooked in the busyness of daily life. Setting aside dedicated time for yourself seems like a wonderful idea; it's refreshing to hear your insights on the importance of recognizing one's individual identity beyond being a mother! Learning something new, like the guitar, adds a fun and exciting element to that end.
It's rewarding to venture beyond our comfort zones and embark on new hobbies - a great reminder that personal growth should be continuous, thanks for sharing these strategies!

I'm delighted to discover these insightful strategies shared within this thread - there are many quick, easy, and inexpensive ways to lift our spirits and feel rejuvenated!

So true - it's encouraging to hear about strategies that help other mums stimulate their minds, especially as we juggle the demands of parenthood. It's a wonderful way to remind ourselves that self-care is essential.

I'm pleased to hear you found ways to wind down and also spend precious time with your daughter through art. It's heartwarming indeed!
Adding a personal twist of intergenerational influences to art projects can make them more meaningful, especially when created together as bonding time. Little ones often enjoy the extra attention, making for cherished memories.

The little moments of happiness and stressors alike are what make being a mum so rewarding and fulfilling in the end. Cherish these moments, they grow up fast! ;-)

having a wide variety of interests kept my sanity intact during those frenzied years of raising kids. It's a lesson I learnt early on - you really need to set aside some time for yourself or risk losing your cool!

Reactions: joyful
The plants and the dirt are therapeutic and meditative - the feeling of being one with nature and getting my hands dirty is soothing. Also, looking forward to your book suggestions because mysteries and crimes sure do help keep the brain cells active! I'm interested in any recommendations that users like you share - preferably non-gory ones haha!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The support and relatability from other moms in situations similar to yours is undoubtedly comforting, even if it's through simple online interactions. It's a nice little reminder that we're all doing our best as mothers, each encountering unique challenges.
It's great to have found this online space to connect with others and share our stories and strategies!

I find it reassuring too, especially when you feel understood by others going through the same life phase!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu