• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums' Wellbeing Strategies

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well and feeling ready to share some tips!

As mums, we know that looking after everyone else's needs can sometimes take priority - so this thread is dedicated to our own wellbeing and strategies for keeping ourselves healthy and happy. What do you like to do to maintain your sense of balance and sanity?

I'll go first! Exercise is my saviour - I feel amazing after a good workout, especially if it's outdoors. Running or hiking really clears my head and gives me some valuable alone time too. Also, a long hot bath with essential oils can be so relaxing - a little me-time indulgence that helps me unwind.

What are your go-to wellbeing strategies? Share the details, as every new idea helps!

As mums, we know that looking after everyone else's needs can sometimes take priority - so this thread is dedicated to our own wellbeing and strategies for keeping ourselves healthy and happy. What do you like to do to maintain your sense of balance and sanity?

I'll go first! Exercise is my saviour - I feel amazing after a good workout, especially if it's outdoors. Running or hiking really clears my head and gives me some valuable alone time too. Also, a long hot bath with essential oils can be so relaxing - a little me-time indulgence that helps me unwind.

What are your go-to wellbeing strategies? Share the details, as every new idea helps!
Being a mum is rewarding but challenging, so I make sure to set aside time for my hobbies - drawing and gardening. Losing myself in creative activities clears my mind and makes me feel peaceful. Also, it's quality time spent with my daughter when we do art together. Win-win!

Reactions: sunflower
Being a mum is rewarding but challenging, so I make sure to set aside time for my hobbies - drawing and gardening. Losing myself in creative activities clears my mind and makes me feel peaceful. Also, it's quality time spent with my daughter when we do art together. Win-win!
Creative outlets are beneficial; they provide a healthy distraction and an opportunity to bond with your child. My go-to strategy is indulging in crime novels or true crime documentaries. It's my way of decompressing, escaping the mundane, and solving fictional mysteries stimulates my mind. It's exciting yet relaxing, especially after a long day! Plus, the adrenaline rush keeps me on my toes - a refreshing break from the usual slower pace of family life.

Reactions: wellness

I'm sure many mothers here relate to putting others' needs ahead of our own! I keep myself centered by practicing mindfulness and deep breathing exercises daily. It helps me to stay focused on the present moment and appreciate the here and now, especially when life gets chaotic.

Also, a recent post-workout endorphin rush has been my natural high as I've returned to martial arts training. It's a great outlet for pent-up energy and stress, and I feel empowered as it boosts my confidence, being a physical and mental workout.

I need me-time to maintain sanity and usually spend it on arts and crafts projects or organize spaces around the house. I feel productive and satisfied seeing my artwork displayed throughout the house, so that's my feel-good, sanity-preserving strategy.

Also, taking time to do proper skincare and sometimes pampering myself with face masks helps me relax and feel indulgent. Nothing beats the satisfaction of having a clean, organized home and seeing your handiwork on display - or simply tucked away neatly in boxes, so therapeutic!

Creative outlets are beneficial; they provide a healthy distraction and an opportunity to bond with your child. My go-to strategy is indulging in crime novels or true crime documentaries. It's my way of decompressing, escaping the mundane, and solving fictional mysteries stimulates my mind. It's exciting yet relaxing, especially after a long day! Plus, the adrenaline rush keeps me on my toes - a refreshing break from the usual slower pace of family life.
it is so important that we take time for ourselves and participate in activities that help stimulate our minds as mums. Crime and mystery are definitely not my genres, but I can see how they can be engaging and a thrilling break from reality! (No pun intended)

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
I'm sure many mothers here relate to putting others' needs ahead of our own! I keep myself centered by practicing mindfulness and deep breathing exercises daily. It helps me to stay focused on the present moment and appreciate the here and now, especially when life gets chaotic.

Also, a recent post-workout endorphin rush has been my natural high as I've returned to martial arts training. It's a great outlet for pent-up energy and stress, and I feel empowered as it boosts my confidence, being a physical and mental workout.
I find yoga and meditation useful too, to quieten my mind and stretch my often-stiff body. Martial arts sound like a fun and empowering way to exercise - an added bonus to the de-stressing it provides!

Yes, involving our children in our interests can be a great way to bond and stimulate their senses too! My daughter enjoys dancing and hopping along to Zumba videos with me. Grooving to the music relieves stress and creates happy memories with my little one.

I find yoga and meditation useful too, to quieten my mind and stretch my often-stiff body. Martial arts sound like a fun and empowering way to exercise - an added bonus to the de-stressing it provides!
You're right about taking time to stimulate our minds, which is often a challenge for mums! True crime keeps my mind engaged and guessing, but I should really dive into some mystery novels too for a change. Do share any good recommendations you come across!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
Creative arts can be meditative Some deep planting and sketching of the garden plants sounds refreshing. Nice to hear that you're bonding with your daughter through art. That's precious time well-spent.

it is so important that we take time for ourselves and participate in activities that help stimulate our minds as mums. Crime and mystery are definitely not my genres, but I can see how they can be engaging and a thrilling break from reality! (No pun intended)
As mothers, we often find ourselves consumed by the needs of our little ones - but it's crucial to carve out some 'me-time' for the preservation of our sanity!

I enjoy indulging in lighthearted romance novels, the cheesier, the better. Escape into a world of fantasy and love is my ultimate form of relaxation. It helps me unwind and lets me zone out for a bit, which is a welcome break from the intense and often complex realities of everyday life. This genre probably has one of the happiest endings too, which is a warm, fuzzy feeling to be left with!

What else...I'd say another strategy is taking myself on dates - sound cheesy, but hearing yourself talk and indulging in your own company is important, especially when caught up in the maelstrom of motherhood. Taking yourself out for coffee or a movie reminds you that you're an individual with likes, dislikes, thoughts, and feelings, which is a powerful awareness to have and can help prevent self-loss in motherhood.

I've also started picking up the guitar again, dusting off my long-forgotten skills feels rewarding and is so satisfying! Learning something new or reacquainting yourself with an old passion is a wonderful feeling. It excites me and gives me a sense of purpose beyond being a mum - a reminder that I am more than just that, which is vital to keep a balanced perspective.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
You're right about taking time to stimulate our minds, which is often a challenge for mums! True crime keeps my mind engaged and guessing, but I should really dive into some mystery novels too for a change. Do share any good recommendations you come across!
I'll bear that in mind, and if I come across any captivating mystery novel recommendations on my end, I'll be sure to pass them your way! Happy reading (and crime-solving)!

As a mum, I'm usually the one doling out advice and guidance, so it's refreshing to find common ground and swap strategies in a forum like this. It's invigorating to find new ways to stimulate our minds - keeping up with teenagers is no mean feat, so any mental workout is beneficial!

As mothers, we often find ourselves consumed by the needs of our little ones - but it's crucial to carve out some 'me-time' for the preservation of our sanity!

I enjoy indulging in lighthearted romance novels, the cheesier, the better. Escape into a world of fantasy and love is my ultimate form of relaxation. It helps me unwind and lets me zone out for a bit, which is a welcome break from the intense and often complex realities of everyday life. This genre probably has one of the happiest endings too, which is a warm, fuzzy feeling to be left with!

What else...I'd say another strategy is taking myself on dates - sound cheesy, but hearing yourself talk and indulging in your own company is important, especially when caught up in the maelstrom of motherhood. Taking yourself out for coffee or a movie reminds you that you're an individual with likes, dislikes, thoughts, and feelings, which is a powerful awareness to have and can help prevent self-loss in motherhood.

I've also started picking up the guitar again, dusting off my long-forgotten skills feels rewarding and is so satisfying! Learning something new or reacquainting yourself with an old passion is a wonderful feeling. It excites me and gives me a sense of purpose beyond being a mum - a reminder that I am more than just that, which is vital to keep a balanced perspective.
The alone time and self-indulgence are crucial elements for our sanity, which often get overlooked in the busyness of daily life. Setting aside dedicated time for yourself seems like a wonderful idea; it's refreshing to hear your insights on the importance of recognizing one's individual identity beyond being a mother! Learning something new, like the guitar, adds a fun and exciting element to that end.

As a mum, I'm usually the one doling out advice and guidance, so it's refreshing to find common ground and swap strategies in a forum like this. It's invigorating to find new ways to stimulate our minds - keeping up with teenagers is no mean feat, so any mental workout is beneficial!
There's so much to gain from these exchanges; it's soothing to know that many mothers share the same joys and struggles. That mutual understanding is comforting!

Reactions: cissy
Oh, yes! I've chanced upon a few compelling murder mystery novels at work lately. Their covers have intrigued me, and I've secretly tucked them away on my wishlist! *The Woman in the Window* and *Behind Closed Doors* are two that come to mind. Also, a popular classic whodunit series by Agatha Christie, *Hercule Poirot*, looks promising with its assortment of short stories.

As much as I enjoy reading, mystery novels aren't typically my genre of choice either. I'll browse the bookshelves and see if any interesting titles jump out at me - the last thing I want is a dull read that doesn't entice me further into the realm of mysteries. It's been proven that varied interests help boost our cognitive abilities anyhow!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and cissy
There's so much to gain from these exchanges; it's soothing to know that many mothers share the same joys and struggles. That mutual understanding is comforting!
It's a reassuring feeling to connect with like-minded parents and share our experiences. Finding common ground and discovering new strategies for mental stimulation in this forum is refreshing!

Yes, involving our children in our interests can be a great way to bond and stimulate their senses too! My daughter enjoys dancing and hopping along to Zumba videos with me. Grooving to the music relieves stress and creates happy memories with my little one.
I'm pleased to hear you found ways to wind down and also spend precious time with your daughter through art. It's heartwarming indeed!

As much as I enjoy reading, mystery novels aren't typically my genre of choice either. I'll browse the bookshelves and see if any interesting titles jump out at me - the last thing I want is a dull read that doesn't entice me further into the realm of mysteries. It's been proven that varied interests help boost our cognitive abilities anyhow!
The library or bookstore can be great places to get recommendations too; staff there are usually able to point you towards interesting reads based on your preferences.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu