• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum-to-be essentials

You are welcome! We are here to help prepare you for this huge life change! Enjoy every moment, and congratulations again!
It's a joy and honor to share in this special moment with you. Wishing you and your family all the best!

It pays to remain calm throughout this joyous but stressful period. Every new mum should remember that it's okay not to be prepared for everything. Thanks for pointing that out; I hope others will agree with me too. 😊
Some things are unavoidable so no use stressing over them! Sounds like you're keeping a cool head despite the excitement and unknowns. That in itself is an accomplishment considering the onslaught of feelings and preparations. Well done!

It pays to remain calm throughout this joyous but stressful period. Every new mum should remember that it's okay not to be prepared for everything. Thanks for pointing that out; I hope others will agree with me too. 😊
That's very true - there's so much happening that inevitably, some things will be missed or overlooked. It's great to have a supportive community of parents offering their experiences, especially for first-time moms!

What are your thoughts on the most essential items needed for the first few days after birth? I'm curious to hear if there's anything you found indispensable that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The internet definitely makes it easier to be prepared with baby essentials because you can find almost anything you need online these days -- except perhaps for a good night's sleep, which many new mums will gladly pay a premium for!

Since we're on the topic of online shopping, I'd say another essential item to have is a baby carrier or sling. It's incredibly handy for outings and frees up your hands for other tasks (or for holding your coffee). There are so many types out there -- soft wraps, ring slings, structured carriers -- each with their pros and cons. It might be worthwhile researching your options online, finding one that suits your lifestyle and wearing preferences best.

With online reviews and guides, you can avoid making expensive mistakes and select a comfortable, durable carrier that grows with your little one. This is definitely something I'll be adding to my list!
You're absolutely right; the internet makes researching baby essentials so much easier, and there's always an extensive range of products available with just a few clicks. Thanks for bringing up the baby carrier - it's a definite must-have for hands-free parenting, and like you said, there are so many options to choose from these days! Every mom has their preferences, but it's great to have choices.

I am grateful for the kind reminders and suggestions shared here. It's a great help, especially as a first-time mum preparing for the unknown ahead. I'd never have thought about a notepad, but it makes so much sense!
You're most welcome, the simple solutions are often the best, aren't they? It's quite an experience being a new parent - thrilling and overwhelming at the same time! We're here to share the joy and support each other.

It can be quite a daunting experience for new mothers-to-be, but luckily there's plenty of advice out there.
As a soon-to-be mom, you just want everything to be perfect, so you try to anticipate all the possible needs, it's great that there's so much support and insight from other users here. You are prepared for many scenarios with all this helpful advice! Congrats again.

I know right? The best thing is to not overthink it or get overwhelmed -- there will always be pros and cons to every baby gear option out there. Do consider the frequency of use and how long you can reasonably use them, as well as your own personal preferences and needs.
It might be wise to explore some second-hand items for the more short-term essentials, especially if they're barely used and in good condition. Cost saved can then be directed elsewhere, like on things that bring longer term value. Just a thought!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
I know right? The best thing is to not overthink it or get overwhelmed -- there will always be pros and cons to every baby gear option out there. Do consider the frequency of use and how long you can reasonably use them, as well as your own personal preferences and needs.
Don't sweat the small stuff! Focus on what works best for your little one and yourself :) There's no one-size-fits-all with baby essentials.

There's only so much one can do in preparation. Enjoying the journey is what counts and accepting that you may have missed out on something is just par for the course. Have a fantastic time with your little bundle of joy!
we're all doing our best to prepare for this new chapter in life -- and it's an exciting one! No preparation seems adequate enough, but we'll survive and thrive together. Thank you for the kind words!

Don't forget to enjoy those newborn cuddles, they grow up fast! Best wishes ahead!
Enjoying them double because my husband is also working from home this week. Thank you!

Don't forget to enjoy those newborn cuddles, they grow up fast! Best wishes ahead!
You ladies have been such a great help! Thank you so much for all the wisdom and well-wishes. I'm excited for this new chapter; wish me luck!

There's only so much one can do in preparation. Enjoying the journey is what counts and accepting that you may have missed out on something is just par for the course. Have a fantastic time with your little bundle of joy!
It sure is an exciting phase in life. The hospital bag essentials and all the product research are certainly an adventure. Congratulations to you too, and I wish you a smooth delivery! All the best!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
It is an exciting journey, and I'm glad many mothers are sharing their experiences to help prepare me for what's ahead. Being a mother is truly a challenging but fulfilling adventure! Does anyone else have any last minute insights they want to share before this mum-to-be pops?

I'd say trust your instincts, mummies-to-be; you've got this!
Your instincts are spot on! Mummies-to-be tend to have a good gut feeling about what's best for them and their little ones. It's great to be prepared, but as mentioned, everything else can fall into place naturally too.

You're spot on about focusing on the early stages; those can be pretty overwhelming, especially for first-time parents. Thank you for the recommendation for the changing pad - that's a definite must-have for on-the-go mamas! I'm pen and paper-ing it down :p Newborn soap/shampoo is another thing to add to the list - so many firsts and they all matter!
There are just so many new things to think about and prepare for! It's a good job we have helpful friends here.

Reactions: cissy
You're spot on about focusing on the early stages; those can be pretty overwhelming, especially for first-time parents. Thank you for the recommendation for the changing pad - that's a definite must-have for on-the-go mamas! I'm pen and paper-ing it down :p Newborn soap/shampoo is another thing to add to the list - so many firsts and they all matter!
I wonder if there's any one item that every mum wishes she had when her little one arrived. Something tells me there'd be plenty of unique answers!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wellness and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu