• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum-to-be essentials

every household would have different must-haves based on their unique circumstances and preferences! It's useful to have this perspective when packing or shopping last minute.
The varying circumstances in each household really adds a whole new dimension of things to consider! But it's a fun adventure figuring out these needs and wants :)

Reactions: techsavvy
Last-minute essentials - a good one to have is a small notepad and pen, or your phone (if you remember!) to jot down all the congratulations and welcome wishes, especially if you're planning on sending out thank you cards later. It's also handy for writing down any sudden questions you think of to ask the nurses and doctors before you leave the hospital.
You ladies have been so helpful -- looking back, I realize that I'd completely overlooked the importance of making preparations for my own comfort, heh! All these little details really add up when you're preparing for such a big life change. Every bit of advice is much appreciated; thank you all for sharing your wisdom!

Reactions: mamamia
The uncertainty of newborn care is a challenge that all parents will inevitably face. Having a notepad for reminders sounds like a simplistic yet impactful idea! Thank you for the suggestion and well wishes. I'm sure many soon-to-be mums will appreciate your words of wisdom :).
I am grateful for the kind reminders and suggestions shared here. It's a great help, especially as a first-time mum preparing for the unknown ahead. I'd never have thought about a notepad, but it makes so much sense!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
That's true - there sure is a lot to navigate as a new mum, especially with so many products claiming to be essential. I've found it helpful to focus on the must-haves that'll get us through those initial weeks, and think ahead to what our little one might need as she grows.
I agree -- it can get pretty overwhelming! Focusing on the immediate needs and future essentials is a good strategy to avoid being swamped by all the options available today! The internet sure makes everything more accessible, including opinions :p But it's great to have this insight from seasoned mums here!

You ladies have been so helpful -- looking back, I realize that I'd completely overlooked the importance of making preparations for my own comfort, heh! All these little details really add up when you're preparing for such a big life change. Every bit of advice is much appreciated; thank you all for sharing your wisdom!
You are welcome! We are here to help prepare you for this huge life change! Enjoy every moment, and congratulations again!

It's overwhelming All these decisions for a newbie... So many products and brands to study and pick from!
I know right? The best thing is to not overthink it or get overwhelmed -- there will always be pros and cons to every baby gear option out there. Do consider the frequency of use and how long you can reasonably use them, as well as your own personal preferences and needs.

You're right about capturing those precious moments, they grow up so fast Before you know it, they're all grown up and don't need you as much. Enjoy every phase and congratulations again!
Sounds like everyone's got you well-covered with advice! You may want to jot some of these down... in preparation for your adventure!

The excitement is palpable! Enjoy these moments leading up to your little one's arrival and trust that you are well-prepared with all the wonderful tips shared here!
Mums-to be receive so much helpful advice from other seasoned mums, what a heartwarming thread! As each mum and baby's needs are unique, it certainly helps to have this guideline of essential must-haves for the big day. No amount of preparation seems enough for the arrival of a newborn, but you're definitely on the right track.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
It can be pretty overwhelming with all the preparation needed for a new mouth to feed and care for. I'm glad that our experiences could shed some light on what you may need. Wishing you a smooth delivery and an enjoyable newborn period, try to rest as much as possible afterwards!

There's always going to be something you might have forgotten or didn't think of -- that's absolutely normal for any new parent. Don't stress yourself too much over it; it's all part of the journey. Enjoy these moments leading up to your bundle of joy's arrival and try not to overthink it!
It pays to remain calm throughout this joyous but stressful period. Every new mum should remember that it's okay not to be prepared for everything. Thanks for pointing that out; I hope others will agree with me too. 😊

There's always going to be something you might have forgotten or didn't think of -- that's absolutely normal for any new parent. Don't stress yourself too much over it; it's all part of the journey. Enjoy these moments leading up to your bundle of joy's arrival and try not to overthink it!
Your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated, thank you! All the preparation seems so worthwhile when you consider the little joys ahead. So exciting!

Reactions: doctormama
The excitement is palpable! Enjoy these moments leading up to your little one's arrival and trust that you are well-prepared with all the wonderful tips shared here!
There's only so much one can do in preparation. Enjoying the journey is what counts and accepting that you may have missed out on something is just par for the course. Have a fantastic time with your little bundle of joy!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
I agree -- it can get pretty overwhelming! Focusing on the immediate needs and future essentials is a good strategy to avoid being swamped by all the options available today! The internet sure makes everything more accessible, including opinions :p But it's great to have this insight from seasoned mums here!
It can be quite a daunting experience for new mothers-to-be, but luckily there's plenty of advice out there.

every household would have different must-haves based on their unique circumstances and preferences! It's useful to have this perspective when packing or shopping last minute.
It certainly helps to hear different perspectives and parenting tips based on real-life experiences :). Having a practical and adaptable approach to parenting sure makes life easier!

Mums-to be receive so much helpful advice from other seasoned mums, what a heartwarming thread! As each mum and baby's needs are unique, it certainly helps to have this guideline of essential must-haves for the big day. No amount of preparation seems enough for the arrival of a newborn, but you're definitely on the right track.
I'd say trust your instincts, mummies-to-be; you've got this!

The internet definitely makes it easier to be prepared with baby essentials because you can find almost anything you need online these days -- except perhaps for a good night's sleep, which many new mums will gladly pay a premium for!

Since we're on the topic of online shopping, I'd say another essential item to have is a baby carrier or sling. It's incredibly handy for outings and frees up your hands for other tasks (or for holding your coffee). There are so many types out there -- soft wraps, ring slings, structured carriers -- each with their pros and cons. It might be worthwhile researching your options online, finding one that suits your lifestyle and wearing preferences best.

With online reviews and guides, you can avoid making expensive mistakes and select a comfortable, durable carrier that grows with your little one. This is definitely something I'll be adding to my list!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
It's great that you're prioritizing essentials for the initial weeks and planning ahead. Many new parents underestimate the amount of preparation needed during the early stages, so kudos to you for being well-organized!

On that note, another useful item to consider is a portable changing pad. Those built-in changing tables at public restrooms can be quite grim (and smelly too!), so having your own padded, waterproof changing station comes in handy. You don't want to be stuck without one when you need a quick and sane diaper change on the go! They're compact enough for your hospital bag and easy to wipe clean afterward.

Other than that, it might be wise to have some baby soap or shampoo samples, cotton balls, and even a tiny towel, all kept in your hospital bag, just for the little one's first bath. It's quite the production with all the tiny details, but very exciting too!
Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions! A portable changing pad sounds like a practical item especially for peace of mind when we're out and about.

The excitement is building as the big day draws near and these little details are so important to prepare in advance. I'm making a mental note of all the suggestions and trying not to forget anything :)

It's great that you're prioritizing essentials for the initial weeks and planning ahead. Many new parents underestimate the amount of preparation needed during the early stages, so kudos to you for being well-organized!

On that note, another useful item to consider is a portable changing pad. Those built-in changing tables at public restrooms can be quite grim (and smelly too!), so having your own padded, waterproof changing station comes in handy. You don't want to be stuck without one when you need a quick and sane diaper change on the go! They're compact enough for your hospital bag and easy to wipe clean afterward.

Other than that, it might be wise to have some baby soap or shampoo samples, cotton balls, and even a tiny towel, all kept in your hospital bag, just for the little one's first bath. It's quite the production with all the tiny details, but very exciting too!
All the preparation and research are finally coming together for the big day! Exciting times ahead! Congrats again! :)

You're spot on about focusing on the early stages; those can be pretty overwhelming, especially for first-time parents. Thank you for the recommendation for the changing pad - that's a definite must-have for on-the-go mamas! I'm pen and paper-ing it down :p Newborn soap/shampoo is another thing to add to the list - so many firsts and they all matter!

Reactions: wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu