• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum-to-be essentials

Baby carries are excellent, giving your tot skin-to-skin contact and providing a cozy environment especially when you're out and about. They're a great alternative to prams, which can be bulky. Look for ergonomic carry wraps that distribute the baby's weight evenly - some brands offer this with built-in neck support too. However, do consider strollers with flexibility - models that are lightweight, easily foldable and adjustable as your newborn grows can be super convenient!
Good to know about the baby carries - I'm sold on the idea of skin-to-skin contact, especially in those early weeks! And good advice on choosing a stroller too; it's amazing how many variations there are out there once you start shopping. Might as well invest in one that grows with the little one.

Good to know about the baby carries - I'm sold on the idea of skin-to-skin contact, especially in those early weeks! And good advice on choosing a stroller too; it's amazing how many variations there are out there once you start shopping. Might as well invest in one that grows with the little one.
There are so many variations in the market when it comes to baby gear. Investing in adaptable products that grow with your child is certainly more practical and budget-friendly!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful
Baby carries are excellent, giving your tot skin-to-skin contact and providing a cozy environment especially when you're out and about. They're a great alternative to prams, which can be bulky. Look for ergonomic carry wraps that distribute the baby's weight evenly - some brands offer this with built-in neck support too. However, do consider strollers with flexibility - models that are lightweight, easily foldable and adjustable as your newborn grows can be super convenient!
It's also a good idea to think about what would work best for your lifestyle. Quick trips out or frequent travels might mean a stroller isn't always convenient, in which case, those baby wears could be a real godsend.

You're most welcome; do come back for more advice! This is such an exciting time for you. Enjoy every moment, even the preparation, and all the best!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
True -- so many unknowns with a newborn! The uncertainty makes packing a challenge; I can only plan and prepare so much. Oh well, might as well enjoy the adventure! Thanks again for the help, ladies! Any last-minute must haves?
Last-minute essentials - a good one to have is a small notepad and pen, or your phone (if you remember!) to jot down all the congratulations and welcome wishes, especially if you're planning on sending out thank you cards later. It's also handy for writing down any sudden questions you think of to ask the nurses and doctors before you leave the hospital.

There are so many variations in the market when it comes to baby gear. Investing in adaptable products that grow with your child is certainly more practical and budget-friendly!
That's true - there sure is a lot to navigate as a new mum, especially with so many products claiming to be essential. I've found it helpful to focus on the must-haves that'll get us through those initial weeks, and think ahead to what our little one might need as she grows.

It's also a good idea to think about what would work best for your lifestyle. Quick trips out or frequent travels might mean a stroller isn't always convenient, in which case, those baby wears could be a real godsend.
That's right - considering your daily life and specific needs is essential when selecting baby gear. For instance, if you live in an urban area and rely on public transport, having a compact stroller with a quick-folding mechanism might be super handy for getting on and off buses or trains.

Treats are a wonderful idea! Something telling me those chocolate bars won't last long though... : laugh: Mum's comfort food is essential too, especially with all that newfound milk supply! Have also heard good things about those breastfeeding snacks - seemingly harmless treats that help with milk production. Can never go wrong with biscuits or cookies, I say!
Some women have a tough time Breastfeeding, and finding the right position can be challenging, so a breastfeeding pillow could be a helpful item to have in your arsenal. Also, it might be useful to get a small cool box or bag that you can keep by your side for storing snacks and drinks when you're thirsty and hungry during feeding sessions with the little one!

You are very welcome! Enjoying the adventure is the right kind of mindset to have! Remember that some things will be unavoidable, like the unpredictable feeding and changing schedules, so embrace the unpredictability and do your best.

With that said, I would also recommend having a small notepad and pen handy for those middle-of-the-night ideas or to-dos that suddenly come to mind. It's also great for jotting down questions for the pediatrician or health visitors, especially when you're sleep-deprived and likely to forget.

Beyond that, stay calm, and enjoy this exciting journey! Don't forget to treasure every moment -- they grow up real fast! ;D
That's great advice - I've seen those cute newborn moments captured in photos and it melts my heart. Treasuring each moment is the perfect mindset for this adventure. Can't wait to see my little one! It's such a magical experience :)

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
True -- so many unknowns with a newborn! The uncertainty makes packing a challenge; I can only plan and prepare so much. Oh well, might as well enjoy the adventure! Thanks again for the help, ladies! Any last-minute must haves?
There's always going to be something you might have forgotten or didn't think of -- that's absolutely normal for any new parent. Don't stress yourself too much over it; it's all part of the journey. Enjoy these moments leading up to your bundle of joy's arrival and try not to overthink it!

Reactions: nature
You're all set then! The most important things you need are already packed in your hospital bag and the rest can wait till you're discharged.

You are very welcome! Enjoying the adventure is the right kind of mindset to have! Remember that some things will be unavoidable, like the unpredictable feeding and changing schedules, so embrace the unpredictability and do your best.

With that said, I would also recommend having a small notepad and pen handy for those middle-of-the-night ideas or to-dos that suddenly come to mind. It's also great for jotting down questions for the pediatrician or health visitors, especially when you're sleep-deprived and likely to forget.

Beyond that, stay calm, and enjoy this exciting journey! Don't forget to treasure every moment -- they grow up real fast! ;D
The uncertainty of newborn care is a challenge that all parents will inevitably face. Having a notepad for reminders sounds like a simplistic yet impactful idea! Thank you for the suggestion and well wishes. I'm sure many soon-to-be mums will appreciate your words of wisdom :).

• Love
Reactions: cissy
It's overwhelming All these decisions for a newbie... So many products and brands to study and pick from!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
That's great advice - I've seen those cute newborn moments captured in photos and it melts my heart. Treasuring each moment is the perfect mindset for this adventure. Can't wait to see my little one! It's such a magical experience :)
You're right about capturing those precious moments, they grow up so fast Before you know it, they're all grown up and don't need you as much. Enjoy every phase and congratulations again!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
The excitement is palpable! Enjoy these moments leading up to your little one's arrival and trust that you are well-prepared with all the wonderful tips shared here!

Reactions: cissy
That's right - considering your daily life and specific needs is essential when selecting baby gear. For instance, if you live in an urban area and rely on public transport, having a compact stroller with a quick-folding mechanism might be super handy for getting on and off buses or trains.
every household would have different must-haves based on their unique circumstances and preferences! It's useful to have this perspective when packing or shopping last minute.

That's true - there sure is a lot to navigate as a new mum, especially with so many products claiming to be essential. I've found it helpful to focus on the must-haves that'll get us through those initial weeks, and think ahead to what our little one might need as she grows.
It's great that you're prioritizing essentials for the initial weeks and planning ahead. Many new parents underestimate the amount of preparation needed during the early stages, so kudos to you for being well-organized!

On that note, another useful item to consider is a portable changing pad. Those built-in changing tables at public restrooms can be quite grim (and smelly too!), so having your own padded, waterproof changing station comes in handy. You don't want to be stuck without one when you need a quick and sane diaper change on the go! They're compact enough for your hospital bag and easy to wipe clean afterward.

Other than that, it might be wise to have some baby soap or shampoo samples, cotton balls, and even a tiny towel, all kept in your hospital bag, just for the little one's first bath. It's quite the production with all the tiny details, but very exciting too!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You're all set then! The most important things you need are already packed in your hospital bag and the rest can wait till you're discharged.
That's the spirit! You're going to do great.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Last-minute essentials - a good one to have is a small notepad and pen, or your phone (if you remember!) to jot down all the congratulations and welcome wishes, especially if you're planning on sending out thank you cards later. It's also handy for writing down any sudden questions you think of to ask the nurses and doctors before you leave the hospital.
I'll make sure to have a notebook ready! My memory isn't what it used to be, so that's a useful idea. Thanks!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu