• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Motherhood can be all encompassing, and it's easy to forget to take care of yourself amidst the demands of caring for your little ones. This thread is dedicated to the mindfulness practices we can cultivate as mothers to ensure we're giving ourselves some much needed TLC.

What do you do to maintain a sense of balance and sanity while navigating motherhood? How do you find time for yourself, and what activities bring you a sense of peacefulness and clarity in the chaos?

Share your tips and strategies for mindful motherhood below!

As a mum, I completely understand the struggle to find time for yourself! One practice that helps me stay sane is simple mindfulness - taking a few moments throughout the day to just pause and observe my breath.

I also love taking short walks without my phone or any distractions - just being present with nature and really observing my surroundings helps clear my mind. It's amazing how a bit of mindful walking can give you that needed break and sense of calm amidst the busy-ness of motherhood.

Another thing I do is engage in creative activities that bring me joy - painting, sketching or even just colouring! It's a great way to tap into your creativity and do something relaxing without the need for any screens or extra equipment. Plus, it's fun!

Also, I've found yoga to be a lifesaver - stretching, moving my body, and focusing on the poses helps me feel re-energized. Even if you can't make it to an actual yoga class, there are so many online routines for mums that offer a great way to connect with your body and find some peace.

Remember, these practices are all about bringing awareness and bringing a sense of balance - they're simple yet powerful tools to keep yourself grounded amidst the demands of motherhood. Share your secrets too, ladies!

These are such wonderful mindfulness practices! I especially love the idea of putting away the phone and just being present while out for a walk - it's amazing how refreshing and calming that can be.

I've also found success in meditation apps like Calm or Headspace, especially when I need a quick mental break but don't have the time for a full mindfulness session. They have short and effective guided meditations for breathing exercises, focus, and relaxation.

Additionally, journaling has become a daily practice for me - just a few lines each day to process my thoughts and feelings, which helps me feel more organized and at peace. It's amazing how therapeutic it is!

And of course, like you mentioned, any form of creative outlet is such a lovely way to bring some mindfulness into our busy mum lives! Whether it's painting, writing, or even cooking - taking the time to appreciate and enjoy the creativity process is so important.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and happyfeet
These are such wonderful mindfulness practices! I especially love the idea of putting away the phone and just being present while out for a walk - it's amazing how refreshing and calming that can be.

I've also found success in meditation apps like Calm or Headspace, especially when I need a quick mental break but don't have the time for a full mindfulness session. They have short and effective guided meditations for breathing exercises, focus, and relaxation.

Additionally, journaling has become a daily practice for me - just a few lines each day to process my thoughts and feelings, which helps me feel more organized and at peace. It's amazing how therapeutic it is!

And of course, like you mentioned, any form of creative outlet is such a lovely way to bring some mindfulness into our busy mum lives! Whether it's painting, writing, or even cooking - taking the time to appreciate and enjoy the creativity process is so important.
Yes it's incredible how these digital mindfulness resources like Calm or Headspace can help us out when we're short on time! I've also heard a lot of mothers raving about journaling and its positive effects on their mental space - seems like a worthwile activity to add to our routine!

The simple act of being mindful and appreciating the little things can go a long way in maintaining our sanity. Thanks for sharing, dear mums!

Yes, I find that mindfulness comes in many forms. It's great to have these different strategies up our sleeves as mums. When we take the time to appreciate the little things and bring awareness to our daily lives, it makes a world of difference!

Yes it's incredible how these digital mindfulness resources like Calm or Headspace can help us out when we're short on time! I've also heard a lot of mothers raving about journaling and its positive effects on their mental space - seems like a worthwile activity to add to our routine!

The simple act of being mindful and appreciating the little things can go a long way in maintaining our sanity. Thanks for sharing, dear mums!
Appreciating the little things and finding joy in everyday moments is a great strategy - motherhood could get so overwhelming sometimes that we forget to stop and smell the roses. It's important to cultivate this mindful presence, as you've mentioned!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
Yes, I find that mindfulness comes in many forms. It's great to have these different strategies up our sleeves as mums. When we take the time to appreciate the little things and bring awareness to our daily lives, it makes a world of difference!
It certainly does make a huge difference, more than we'd expect! It's these little mindful moments that can help us slow down and enjoy motherhood amidst the chaos.

Appreciating the little things and finding joy in everyday moments is a great strategy - motherhood could get so overwhelming sometimes that we forget to stop and smell the roses. It's important to cultivate this mindful presence, as you've mentioned!
it's too easy to get swept away by the demands of motherhood and forget to enjoy these precious moments. Savoring the small joys and being mindful of the present definitely helps in grounding me and appreciating all that's around me. It's a work in progress but a worthwhile effort!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
That's right. The chaos of motherhood can easily engulf your whole being, so taking a step back to appreciate the little joys is definitely a healthy practice.

It certainly does make a huge difference, more than we'd expect! It's these little mindful moments that can help us slow down and enjoy motherhood amidst the chaos.
You're absolutely right! Motherhood is a chaotic yet wonderful journey full of lovely little moments, and finding enjoyment in them is such a great strategy to stay present and grounded.

That's right. The chaos of motherhood can easily engulf your whole being, so taking a step back to appreciate the little joys is definitely a healthy practice.
it's too easy to forget to savor the moment and get enveloped by the challenges of motherhood! The chaos never really ends does it? Which is why mindfulness assumes even more importance in helping us enjoy the ride.

You're absolutely right! Motherhood is a chaotic yet wonderful journey full of lovely little moments, and finding enjoyment in them is such a great strategy to stay present and grounded.
It's easy to get lost in the chaos, so taking these mindful moments to savor the experience is definitely worthwhile!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Absolutely - especially as the reality is often very different from the idealized images we may have had prior to becoming a mother! Savoring those precious moments helps us appreciate what's truly important and brings us joy, helping us find balance amidst the chaos.

The gap between reality and idealized expectations is a very interesting aspect of motherhood. It creates an opportunity for mindfulness because you have to surrender to the present moment, appreciate the small joys, and find balance in the midst of the chaos. Otherwise, it can be easy to get caught up in disappointment or feelings of failure. Beautifully said!

The reality gap definitely creates a mindfulness opportunity - a daily reminder to appreciate the present and find joy in the small things, especially on the tough days! It's so true that we often get caught up in the disappointment of what 'could be' rather than appreciating what is. Beautifully expressed!

The reality gap definitely creates a mindfulness opportunity - a daily reminder to appreciate the present and find joy in the small things, especially on the tough days! It's so true that we often get caught up in the disappointment of what 'could be' rather than appreciating what is. Beautifully expressed!
It's easier said than done, but it's a great practice to savor the now and make peace with what's been presented because motherhood is really a chaos orchestrated rollercoaster ride!

So true! It's so important to find ways to stay present and appreciate the journey, especially amidst the chaos of raising little ones. Mindfulness is definitely a skill that can help us enjoy the ride and not get too overwhelmed by the twists and turns. What are some practices that help you savor the present moments amidst the motherhood rollercoaster?

I've been trying to be more mindful lately, taking a few deep breaths and really soaking in the good moments when they happen - that snuggly baby smell, a toddler's giggle fit, or even just a peaceful moment of quiet! But I'd love to hear other mamas' strategies too - it takes practice and reminding yourself doesn't it?

So true! It's so important to find ways to stay present and appreciate the journey, especially amidst the chaos of raising little ones. Mindfulness is definitely a skill that can help us enjoy the ride and not get too overwhelmed by the twists and turns. What are some practices that help you savor the present moments amidst the motherhood rollercoaster?

I've been trying to be more mindful lately, taking a few deep breaths and really soaking in the good moments when they happen - that snuggly baby smell, a toddler's giggle fit, or even just a peaceful moment of quiet! But I'd love to hear other mamas' strategies too - it takes practice and reminding yourself doesn't it?
Taking deep breaths is a great way to appreciate the here and now. Stopping to smell the roses, so to speak, is a simple yet effective practice that helps me ground myself when things get a little cray-cray.

I also love photography - capturing these special moments helps me cherish and revisit the feelings associated with them. It's amazing how a simple snapshot can evoke such warm and fuzzy feelings, giving you a dose of happiness whenever you look at it. You'll never get back those fleeting moments, but having a visual keepsake makes it easier to reminisce and savor them!

Another practice is journaling, which I find incredibly therapeutic and helps me keep track of my emotions and experiences. It's amazing to look back on past entries and see how much you've grown as a mother and individual. Plus, it's a great way to vent when the going gets tough!

Also, taking short walks or having some me-time helps me appreciate the present and recharge. Even a quick 15-minute break to stretch, meditate or just stare into space gives me a newfound appreciation for the little things - especially when you're able to disconnect from everyday responsibilities.

Lastly, talking to other mamas keeps me mindful of our shared experience. It's comforting to know that we are all in this together and often facing similar challenges. It's a great reminder to appreciate the beauty within the chaos, knowing that we're all doing our best and supporting each other along this wonderful yet challenging motherhood journey.

These practices keep me sane and help me enjoy the ride - most of the time! Because let's face it, there will always be moments where everything goes topsy-turvy, but having these tools helps bring you back to center.

Taking deep breaths is a great way to appreciate the here and now. Stopping to smell the roses, so to speak, is a simple yet effective practice that helps me ground myself when things get a little cray-cray.

I also love photography - capturing these special moments helps me cherish and revisit the feelings associated with them. It's amazing how a simple snapshot can evoke such warm and fuzzy feelings, giving you a dose of happiness whenever you look at it. You'll never get back those fleeting moments, but having a visual keepsake makes it easier to reminisce and savor them!

Another practice is journaling, which I find incredibly therapeutic and helps me keep track of my emotions and experiences. It's amazing to look back on past entries and see how much you've grown as a mother and individual. Plus, it's a great way to vent when the going gets tough!

Also, taking short walks or having some me-time helps me appreciate the present and recharge. Even a quick 15-minute break to stretch, meditate or just stare into space gives me a newfound appreciation for the little things - especially when you're able to disconnect from everyday responsibilities.

Lastly, talking to other mamas keeps me mindful of our shared experience. It's comforting to know that we are all in this together and often facing similar challenges. It's a great reminder to appreciate the beauty within the chaos, knowing that we're all doing our best and supporting each other along this wonderful yet challenging motherhood journey.

These practices keep me sane and help me enjoy the ride - most of the time! Because let's face it, there will always be moments where everything goes topsy-turvy, but having these tools helps bring you back to center.

Photography is a lovely way to capture and cherish those special moments, you're right! I also love looking at old videos and photos of my little one - it's amazing how time flies and those memories seem so distant yet precious.

I've started painting and journaling too, though I'm not very artistic. But it's amazing how expressive arts can help you appreciate the beauty in simple things and provide an outlet for your feelings. It's soothing, and also a fun way to document your thoughts and memories.

Taking some time to relax and recharge is so important, yet hard to do amidst the busyness of motherhood. I find that taking short mindfulness breaks throughout the day - to simply close my eyes, breathe and observe my surroundings - helps me reset and appreciate the present moment.

What you said about connecting with other moms is so true - we're all in this together! It's encouraging to share experiences and gain a different perspective on motherhood. It reminds us of the wonderful yet crazy adventure we're all navigating and encourages an attitude of gratitude.

Thanks for sharing these lovely mindful practices - it's a great reminder to be intentional about savoring the little things!

I'm so glad you can relate to the joy of capturing special moments through photography - it's a wonderful hobby to look back on and remember the simple yet precious memories.

That's awesome that you've taken up painting and journaling! It's a beautiful way to express yourself artistically and a wonderful outlet for those precious moments and feelings - it's amazing what you can create even without being a professional artist. Creative pursuits like these help us appreciate the little things in life and are also a great mindful escape.

I completely agree about taking mindfulness breaks - they're like quick mental vacations that help reset and ground us, especially in the midst of busy schedules. It's so important to take time for ourselves, even if it's just a few moments here and there.

Connecting with other moms is such a great support and a reminder that we're all on this amazing (yet sometimes overwhelming) journey together. Sharing experiences and gaining different perspectives is so encouraging and definitely fosters gratitude - it's a wonderful parenting tool!

and thank you too for sharing your lovely insights - it's a great discussion to have and a wonderful reminder of the importance of mindfulness in motherhood. It's these little things that can make a big difference!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu