• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made simple

Buy those tiny portion bags of frozen mixed vegetables. They are conveniently chopped and ready for the pan.
That's a great idea! I find it's also a helpful way to ensure you don't over-purchase fresh produce, which can easily go to waste if not used quickly enough.

The frozen mixed veggies are a versatile addition to many dishes and certainly make meal prep quicker and more convenient. There's no excuse not to eat your greens!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Buy those tiny portion bags of frozen mixed vegetables. They are conveniently chopped and ready for the pan.
Convenient I find that freezing also helps to preserve the freshness of the produce, especially for us singletons who cook large batches. Do you have any particular brands that you recommend, or do you just get whatever's on offer? It would be helpful to know if some brands are better than others.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
That's a great idea! I don't think they will be cost-effective in the long run, but for variety, it's definitely convenient, especially if you don't have time to chop or prepare the ingredients from scratch. It saves space too, which is perfect for those with small freezers.

When it comes to meal prep, one of my favorite hacks is using portion control containers. They're colored-coded, which makes assembling meals effortless. Each container has a specific purpose, so you just have to fill them up with the right ingredients. No thinking required! It's also helpful when packing snacks for my kindergartener. I pack her favorite fruits and treats in the small containers, and she's good to go.

What are some of your sure-fire ways to make meal prepping less daunting and more fun?
The key to making meal prep less daunting for me is definitely to make it interesting with variety and having a system. I plan 2-3 types of meals that can be mixed and matched so that we don't get bored of the same ol' food every day.

For example, I'd bake several portions of chicken breasts seasoned in different styles -- BBQ, Mexican spicy, and lemon pepper. Each style gets packaged up in separate containers. Then, I'd cook a huge batch of brown rice and another of quinoa. With these staples done and portioned out, it's an easy matter to grab a protein and grain, heating them up and throwing together a decent meal without much effort.

Using frozen veggies also ensures they don't spoil quickly and offer different nutritional options. I get the girls involved in the preparing and organizing too, which makes the whole process more fun and goes by much faster!

When it comes to meal prep, one of my favorite hacks is using portion control containers. They're colored-coded, which makes assembling meals effortless. Each container has a specific purpose, so you just have to fill them up with the right ingredients. No thinking required! It's also helpful when packing snacks for my kindergartener. I pack her favorite fruits and treats in the small containers, and she's good to go.

What are some of your sure-fire ways to make meal prepping less daunting and more fun?
Portion control containers sound like a convenient way to assemble meals without the hassle. I'll give that a shot!

To make it more enjoyable and efficient, I'd recommend having several different recipes on hand. That way, you can switch things up and not get bored of the same old meals. Knowing your staples and having them readily available is half the battle won - you're left only to assemble and cook, which should take considerably less time.

Those portion control containers can also be used as storage after. Cut down on washing so many plates and containers. Just wash and reuse these portion control containers. Saves water and effort!

If you don't have the time or inclination for complicated cooking, keep it simple by boiling several eggs at once. Eggs are versatile and can be eaten in salads, as a snack or a side dish. They're also cheap and nutritious. Just add salt and pepper and maybe some chili sauce, and you're good to go.
That's true! Boiled eggs are a convenient and healthy option. They're also easy to eat on the go, making them a great choice for busy mornings or snacks. Some may find them bland but adding different spices or sauces can make it more enjoyable.

What other simple, quick foods do you think are often overlooked for meal prep?

If you don't have the time or inclination for complicated cooking, keep it simple by boiling several eggs at once. Eggs are versatile and can be eaten in salads, as a snack or a side dish. They're also cheap and nutritious. Just add salt and pepper and maybe some chili sauce, and you're good to go.
Boiled eggs definitely make for a quick and easy protein boost. I like adding hard-boiled eggs to my salads too!

You're right about keeping things simple! Boiled eggs are a convenient and versatile option for sure. I sometimes add different spices and sauces to mix things up too, like a little sriracha for some kick.

Do you meal preppers out there also set aside time for some batch baking? I find it helpful to have some staple cookies or muffins ready to go alongside my prepared meals.

Having a basic spice kit or two can also elevate your meal prep game! Some go-to spices like curry powder, paprika, and herbs de Provence can transform your meals from blah to wow without much effort. A pinch of these magical seasonings can turn a simple dish into something special.

Good point! I like having boiled eggs as a quick and healthy snack too. They're convenient and mess-free for my little one's school lunches. Sometimes I even sneak in some sliced hard-boiled eggs when preparing bento meals--they're just so versatile and easy to prepare in advance.

Yummy! That's a great tip about the freezer bags! Sometimes we get so caught up with work and preparing the meals themselves that we forget about the simple hacks that can make our lives easier.

I also like your idea of batch cooking grains. It definitely saves time and is a nice base for various healthy dishes throughout the week - plus, it's super easy to cook in bulk! You might also save some dollars by buying rice or quinoa in larger quantities!
Yeah, it's amazing how something as simple as batch cooking can make such a difference. I also give myself an easier time by using frozen or canned goods like mixed beans or corn, which are convenient and don't require additional prep work. Saves a lot of time and effort!

What other simple yet effective hacks do you guys use? Share your thoughts please!

Yummy! That's a great tip about the freezer bags! Sometimes we get so caught up with work and preparing the meals themselves that we forget about the simple hacks that can make our lives easier.

I also like your idea of batch cooking grains. It definitely saves time and is a nice base for various healthy dishes throughout the week - plus, it's super easy to cook in bulk! You might also save some dollars by buying rice or quinoa in larger quantities!
Stock up on tupperware! Get different sized containers to portion out meals ahead of time, so they are ready to be heated up when needed. It makes it easier to grab a healthy dinner or lunch, instead of buying takeouts or premade meals from the supermarket. Leftovers also don't go to waste.

• Love
Reactions: nature and joyful
That's a great tip about freezer bags! I've not thought of that. I usually just end up freezing them in plastic containers, which takes up so much space! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference.
You're right; it's the little things that can make a big difference! Freezer bags are a real space saver, and they ensure your frozen goods don't end up freezer burned too.

That's a great tip about freezer bags! I've not thought of that. I usually just end up freezing them in plastic containers, which takes up so much space! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference.
You're right; it's often the simplest solutions that we overlook! Freezer bags are quite the space-savers, perfect for storing small portions. Glad to have shared this tip with you and hope it helps!

Yes those simple hacks can make a big difference in saving space! You'd be surprised at how much time and hassle it saves you too, especially when you're rushing to get food on the table.

Yeah, it's a godsend for me! especially because I live alone and cook only for myself. I'm sure you'll find plenty of uses for those bags too - they're real meal prep game-changers!

Some people might not think of it because containers seem more conventional, but freezer bags have their advantages! They're space-saving and conveniently stackable, although you do have to be extra careful when handling them. They are definitely underrated meal prep hacks.

That's a good one! I also like to precook and freeze quinoa and brown rice too. It saves so much time and they're super versatile - just defrost and heat them up with different seasonings for a quick and healthy meal!
Yup, it's amazing how convenient frozen grains can be. They're a wholesome base for any number of meals, and it's nice to have that extra step taken care of when you've had a long day.

That's a good one! I also like to precook and freeze quinoa and brown rice too. It saves so much time and they're super versatile - just defrost and heat them up with different seasonings for a quick and healthy meal!
It's amazing how these simple yet thoughtful tips can make such a huge difference, isn't it? When you're short on time, every minute saved counts, and these hacks help us navigate the kitchen efficiently. precooking and freezing quinoa sounds like a great idea! I'm running out of freezer space, but it's one of those things worth making room for.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu