• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

I'd also recommend some comfortable and breathable underwear made from cotton or bamboo. Your regular lingerie may not fit and could irritate your skin with all the added pregnancy hormones causing it to be extra sensitive.
Underwear is a good idea! It's amazing how something so simple could make such a difference - comfy undies made from natural fabrics should be on every expecting mum's list. The body sure does go through a lot of changes and extra comforts wherever possible are welcome!

I found that having some pregnancy books also helped me a lot, especially during the early stages when your mind races with questions and worries. Books like 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' were helpful guides and reassured me when strange new symptoms popped up. They made great companions throughout the whole nine months, though different topics would become more relevant as the pregnancy progresses.

As smells can be overwhelming during pregnancy, having a perfume or essential oil that has a calming scent and helps with nausea could be a great addition to the maternity must-haves list. I found lavender oil relaxing and refreshing - just a few drops on my pillow or rubbing some onto my wrists helped with relaxation and eased nausea.

Some mums-to-be might also appreciate having a pregnancy diary or app where they can track their pregnancy journey, document appointments, and keep ultrasounds and other keepsakes all in one place!
That's a good suggestion regarding the scent sensitivity many women experience during pregnancy. Essential oils or perfume can really come to the rescue for nausea and anxiety.

What other tips would you give to soon-to-be grandmothers or experienced mums? Anything else that made your pregnancy more enjoyable or manageable? Do share your insights!

A good body cream or lotion is a necessity, especially one that's designed for stretch marks. The skin on your tummy stretches incredibly fast and can end up very dry and itchy - at least it did for me! Keeping yourself hydrated from the outside is just as important as staying hydrated by drinking lots of water.
With all these helpful recommendations, expectant mothers would have a good starting point for their nesting preparation! As each pregnancy varies, it's always good to keep an open mind and prepare within reason - sometimes, you never know what you'll need until the baby arrives.

Maternity must-haves include comfort and easy access to food; no wonder most expecting mothers tend to be snappy! I, for one, could not survive without my pregnancy belt and supportive bras. There's just too much aching and swelling going on in that stage of life to prioritize comforts.

What other items would you ladies deem essential?
Comfort is definitely a huge factor. Another item that helped me was a heating pad - it eased the aches and pains especially when I had backaches or cramps. It's also useful after birth for period cramp relief!

A good body cream or lotion is a necessity, especially one that's designed for stretch marks. The skin on your tummy stretches incredibly fast and can end up very dry and itchy - at least it did for me! Keeping yourself hydrated from the outside is just as important as staying hydrated by drinking lots of water.
With all these useful products mentioned, mums-to-be would definitely be well equipped to prepare for their little ones' arrival! Any other suggestions for a seamless pregnancy journey? I'm sure all the mamas out there would appreciate some extra tips!

Another essential is a supportive yet lightweight nursing bra, preferably one that's easy to use with only one hand - trust me, you'll need it when you're trying to hold a feeding baby and adjust your bra at 2 in the morning!
That's a good recommendation which many new mums would find useful! I found that most of my essentials were focused on comfort and practicality, like a simple, quick nursing access top. It saves time and is so convenient when you have a hungry baby!

I'd also recommend getting a pregnancy massage from a reputable masseuse, preferably one who specializes in prenatal massage. It can be a lifesaver for aching muscles and to alleviate the general physical discomfort that comes with pregnancy. It's a great way to keep yourself relaxed and is also said to help with perinatal mood disorders like anxiety or depression.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity
That's a good suggestion regarding the scent sensitivity many women experience during pregnancy. Essential oils or perfume can really come to the rescue for nausea and anxiety.

What other tips would you give to soon-to-be grandmothers or experienced mums? Anything else that made your pregnancy more enjoyable or manageable? Do share your insights!
Having a weekly or monthly photo documentation of the growing bump is a lovely keepsake - a visual journey that captures the excitement of the passing trimesters. Also, the various apps and online tools to track pregnancy progression are handy and informative, some with customizable notifications to remind you of milestones, or even the baby's size against everyday objects!

That settles it then! pregnancy belts sound like a great investment, be it for personal use or as a gift for expectant mothers. They seem easy to use and adjustment won't require outside help, which is convenient for moms-to-be who are already stressed out with so many things to prepare for their little ones.

On that note, bump-friendly clothing, like those empire-waist dresses mentioned earlier, would also be a comfy choice for later pregnancy days when the bump really starts to show! Empire waists look fancy too, which is an added bonus for the style-conscious moms out there.
practical and comfortable gifts are always welcome! Bump-friendly clothing is a considerate choice and can truly be a saviour in those final months where movement can become a strain.

The belt was super easy to use and adjust - it had a simple velcro fastening. I would highly recommend it, it gave much-needed lower back support and relieved some of the physical strain in my later months!
That's great to know that the pregnancy belt is a straightforward must-have! Velcro makes it so much more convenient too. Thanks for clarifying that, I'm sure many mums will find this useful!

The belt was super easy to use and adjust - it had a simple velcro fastening. I would highly recommend it, it gave much-needed lower back support and relieved some of the physical strain in my later months!
That sounds fantastic! Something that gives much-needed back support is such a relief during the latter part of pregnancy.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
With all these helpful recommendations, expectant mothers would have a good starting point for their nesting preparation! As each pregnancy varies, it's always good to keep an open mind and prepare within reason - sometimes, you never know what you'll need until the baby arrives.
But these practical suggestions could be real lifesavers!

I found that a nursing shawl or scarf was another essential for me - great for discreet public feedings and shielding Baby from the sun or sudden gusts of wind. It's a versatile item I could wear daily around the house too, and it made me feel a little more presentable on days when I had zero makeup on.

That's great to know that the pregnancy belt is a straightforward must-have! Velcro makes it so much more convenient too. Thanks for clarifying that, I'm sure many mums will find this useful!
You're welcome! Yeah, velcro straps make things a lot easier, especially when you're trying to maneuver around with a big belly!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy
That's fantastic news! Velcro makes everything so much more manageable. Easy to use and adjust I'm sure many mums-to-be will find this information useful.

With all these useful products mentioned, mums-to-be would definitely be well equipped to prepare for their little ones' arrival! Any other suggestions for a seamless pregnancy journey? I'm sure all the mamas out there would appreciate some extra tips!
I found that having a supportive obstetrician or midwife throughout my pregnancy helped alleviate many of the worries and uncertainties. For first-time mums especially, there's so much to learn and it's reassuring to have an expert to turn to. Their role goes beyond the appointments - mine was just a call away for any questions or emergencies!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Another essential is a supportive yet lightweight nursing bra, preferably one that's easy to use with only one hand - trust me, you'll need it when you're trying to hold a feeding baby and adjust your bra at 2 in the morning!
Some good nursing bras are a godsend! I'd also recommend a good breastfeeding-friendly top or two. Having something that's easy access but doesn't look like a typical nursing shirt is a confidence booster when you're out and about!

Having gone through this maternity must-haves discussion, I realize that there are quite a few essentials that can make pregnancy more comfortable. Each item recommended is worth considering when preparing for Junior's arrival!

That's a good recommendation which many new mums would find useful! I found that most of my essentials were focused on comfort and practicality, like a simple, quick nursing access top. It saves time and is so convenient when you have a hungry baby!
It pays to share tips and insights with fellow moms! Every little bit helps when you're navigating the unknown territory of motherhood.

A soothing body butter or oil sounds like a luxurious yet practical indulgence for expectant mums-to-be! A little goes a long way in keeping skin nourished and comfortable. ___
Some women might also want to add a prenatal pilates or yoga DVD, or a subscription to an appropriate workout app, to help with flexibility, strength, and endurance during pregnancy. Exercise can certainly ease some common discomforts and help keep your mind and body healthy. Pelvic floor exercises are especially beneficial too - kegels are a must!
So true about keeping active, which helps with the physical demands of pregnancy. Yoga and Pilates are great, and these days there are many online apps that offer suitable workouts for expecting mothers. It's also beneficial to have a good maternity pillow, ideally one that supports your growing bump and helps you get some rest during those uncomfortable nights!

Reactions: wellness and joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu