• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy: Parenting Secrets

That's a smart way to make bedtime routines less exhausting and a great opportunity to foster those intergenerational bonds.

Do you have any fun or clever ways to make parenting easier? Share the secrets!
Being a parent myself, I've learned that having a support network of trustworthy babysitters is an absolute lifesaver! Whether it's for date nights or just some quiet alone time, having responsible babysitters you can call on makes a huge difference. I also rely on my Mom-group chats for quick advice and recommendations - they are a godsend when you're faced with mysterious rashes or sudden fevers!

That's a smart way to make bedtime routines less exhausting and a great opportunity to foster those intergenerational bonds.

There's always that one relative who loves spending time with the kids, isn't there? You could also take this opportunity to teach your children about technology safety - overseeing whom they connect with online. An excellent way to **** two birds with one stone, so to speak! As for making parenting easier, well, my 9-year-old is adept at setting up these video calls herself these days, a real little tech whiz, while the younger one needs more supervision but enjoys the process of choosing which stories to hear. Keeps them entertained and educationally engaged, win-win situation! 😊

Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint. One of my survival strategies is to create an arsenal of crowd-pleasing, easy meals that I can whip up on tired and chaotic nights. Think one-pan wonder meals or slow cooker stews - anything that's simple to prepare but packed with flavour. On days when I'm too worn out to even cook, having a few go-to recipes up my sleeve ensures the kids are fed and happy without adding extra stress.

Another trick is to keep an activity box for rainy days or last-minute playdates. I fill it with age-appropriate arts and crafts supplies, board games, and fun books, which keeps them engaged and occupied when I need some time to focus on other things. The key is to rotate the goodies every few weeks to maintain the excitement and mystery of what's inside!

Reactions: doctormama

Having a reliable network of parent friends is an invaluable lifeline! compare notes on everything from the latest kid-friendly cafes to recommendations for nannies. Also, keeping a arsenal of easy-prep snacks keeps tantrums at bay, especially when caught outside during feeding times. Lastly, learn to pack light whenever you travel with the little ones - mastering the art of minimalistic travel will save your back (and sanity) from excessive baggage weight!

Letting kids win their arguments sometimes keeps peace in the household. No use fighting over insignificant issues. Also, getting your teen to clean their room is futile. You'll only discover long-lost snacks under the pile of clothes eventually. Focus on having them keep their common areas decent.

That's a clever way to engage the older relatives; kids these days are tech-savvy, so a video call isn't foreign to them. It's nice to have some time to prep yourself for the next parenthood challenges or even just wind down while keeping the little ones entertained!

What other strategies do you guys have up your sleeve to create some personal space within the hectic schedule of parenting?
Creating 'me time' as a parent is so crucial, and sometimes we need to think outside the box. Date nights are a great idea to reconnect with your partner and could also serve as a little break from parent duty! Setting up special playdates or sleepovers for the little ones can make these evenings free and give you some personal space to focus on yourself.

That's a clever way to engage the older relatives and give them a special role in your children's lives too. And definitely a great way to sneak in some precious alone time to recharge!
Having some alone time is such an essential yet precious commodity for parents. It can help us recharge, refocus, and keep our patience levels topped up - which is beneficial for everyone involved!

Some of my go-to strategies for creating personal space are:
1. Having a few close mom-friends to rely on. We take turns hosting 'mom dates' where we know the kids will be entertained among themselves while us moms have some quality time to catch up, eat, and recharge together.

2. Enrolling my daughter in fun classes like arts and crafts or sports according to her interests. The one-hour sessions give me some time to run errands or simply chill nearby at a cafe.

3. Carve out 'me time' by incorporating kid-friendly activities that I can do together with my daughter but still enjoy, like gardening or baking - a great way to bond and create special memories while maintaining our individual interests.

That's a clever way to engage the older relatives; kids these days are tech-savvy, so a video call isn't foreign to them. It's nice to have some time to prep yourself for the next parenthood challenges or even just wind down while keeping the little ones entertained!

What other strategies do you guys have up your sleeve to create some personal space within the hectic schedule of parenting?
There's no shame in asking for help and outsourcing some parenting duties, especially when it comes to the tedious yet important tasks like researching and scheduling. I get the nanny or grandma to help screen time with the kids - educational apps and YouTube channels can keep the little ones entertained while imparting knowledge! It's a lifesaver when you need to prepare meals or have some quiet time to yourself.

That's a clever idea to engage the older relatives. Some quality entertainment for the kids and a respite for mama too. They'd enjoy the virtual interaction and personal time with their elders, especially if it's an exciting storytime session or two!
Yes it's a win-win situation! The little ones get some fun bonding time with relatives they may not see often, which creates lovely memories and special bonds. And mamas like me can sneak in some preparation time for the next parental duties or just have some peaceful 'me time', which is much needed and well-deserved! There's so much we do every day that a little breather can make all the difference. A quick power nap, some relaxation or just enjoying a quiet moment to yourself can help rejuvenate you for the remainder of your parental duties -- especially when you're on your own! It's nice to hear other mums' survival tips!

That's a clever idea to engage the older relatives. Some quality entertainment for the kids and a respite for mama too. They'd enjoy the virtual interaction and personal time with their elders, especially if it's an exciting storytime session or two!
I'm glad you agree! It's a great way to keep the kids entertained and educate them using technology they're familiar with, especially if their favourite people are involved! There could also be interactive sessions where the elder relatives play little educational games with the children. It provides variety and stimulates the little ones in different ways, keeping them engaged and entertained.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
It's true; bedtime routines can be fun for kids when delivered creatively! Video calls add a modern twist to traditional storytelling, making it interactive and bringing the fun factor up a notch.

The joy of discovering easy solutions to parenting challenges is such a relief, especially when it comes to bedtime routines. It's like finding hidden treasure!

That's a great idea to engage the family members and create some quality interaction sessions! A video call storytelling session would be an exciting and novel experience for the young ones while giving us parents some well-deserved 'me time' to recharge.
Having some alone time is such an essential part of maintaining sanity as a parent, isn't it? I find that going through each parenting stage can feel isolating sometimes, so initiatives like these help connect us with family and remind us we're never truly alone in this situations. There's always someone who understands our struggles! Do you have any other clever tips or hacks to make modern parenting easier?

That's a great idea to engage the family members and create some quality interaction sessions! A video call storytelling session would be an exciting and novel experience for the young ones while giving us parents some well-deserved 'me time' to recharge.
It is a great way to mix up the routine and introduce the little ones to different styles of engaging. Family members might just enjoy the special bonding too, especially if they get to deliver tales in fun, creative ways!

I'm glad this idea appeals to you! It's always encouraging to discover new ways to make parenting a little less daunting, especially when it strengthens family bonds.

Are there any other helpful tips or secrets that we parents could share to make life a little easier? After all, it takes a village to raise a child!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Having some alone time as a parent is essential and that simple, fun idea makes it possible, even amidst our busy schedules. You could even throw in some arts and crafts sessions with relative or family friends, which the kids adore but without the added pressure of being overly exhausting for all parties involved! It's a great way to keep the kids entertained and foster those relationships beyond immediate family.

Having some time to yourself as a parent is crucial, and it's wonderful to see many parents nowadays embracing innovative ways like video calls to make it happen. Some alone time can help parents reconnect with themselves, which in turn benefits the whole family!

Absolutely! And it creates a memorable routine for the children too - special one-on-one time with grannies or uncles/aunts who they adore, and a different, personal experience through storytelling via video call!

That's a great idea! It's a nice way to involve extended family members who live far away and give the children additional attention they might crave sometimes. And a short, fun activity like that is a sweet way to bridge the distance between generations!

Having some downtime for oneself as a parent is crucial, and this is an innovative way to create some space for relaxation!
That's true -- distance can be an issue for some families but technology helps to keep connections alive! Short, fun activities like video calls for storytelling can be a memorable part of the kids' daily routine, giving them some excitement and us parents some time to re-energize.

• Love
Reactions: koala and mamamia
That's a great idea! It's a nice way to involve extended family members who live far away and give the children additional attention they might crave sometimes. And a short, fun activity like that is a sweet way to bridge the distance between generations!

Having some downtime for oneself as a parent is crucial, and this is an innovative way to create some space for relaxation!
Absolutely! It's a brilliant way to connect the little ones with their family members who are distant. You can use these weekly storytelling sessions as a tradition to look forward to and help the young ones feel closer to their relatives despite the distance.

There're so many benefits from this simple idea; it's awesome how something so straightforward can make parenting a tad easier and fun! What other little life hacks do you guys have up your sleeve?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu