• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Learning Beyond Classes

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What do you guys consider to be the most worthwhile ways of learning beyond what's taught in classes?

I'm interested in hearing about formal and informal methods - anything from online courses to personal projects, reading lists, skill-building activities or even interesting jobs and internships that have taught you a lot.

Also curious to know how these experiences have impacted your overall learning and development, and if they had any ripple effects on what you chose to study in school!

What do you guys consider to be the most worthwhile ways of learning beyond what's taught in classes?

I'm interested in hearing about formal and informal methods - anything from online courses to personal projects, reading lists, skill-building activities or even interesting jobs and internships that have taught you a lot.

Also curious to know how these experiences have impacted your overall learning and development, and if they had any ripple effects on what you chose to study in school!
For me, reading widely beyond the recommended textbooks opened up my perspective and helped me become more interested in topics like cultural studies and sociology, which eventually influenced my modular choices. I also found that part-time jobs in customer service helped build my confidence and communication skills, which were valuable lessons that couldn't be taught in school. These experiences showed me the importance of soft skills and reinforced the notion that learning goes beyond the classroom.

For me, reading widely beyond the recommended textbooks opened up my perspective and helped me become more interested in topics like cultural studies and sociology, which eventually influenced my modular choices. I also found that part-time jobs in customer service helped build my confidence and communication skills, which were valuable lessons that couldn't be taught in school. These experiences showed me the importance of soft skills and reinforced the notion that learning goes beyond the classroom.
That's true; life experiences contribute incredibly to our learning journey and often influence our modular choices and overall interests. Soft skills, like confidence and communication prowess, are indeed valuable lessons better learned through hands-on experience than from textbooks.

Personal projects and readings outside of school encouraged me to look at topics such as psychology and neuroscience, which weren't part of my formal education. These subjects eventually became a great hobby and opened up a new avenue of fascination beyond the core curriculum. They say knowledge begets knowledge - each new topic you pick up leads to another, and another, like following a trail of breadcrumbs.

Online courses are a valuable resource for learning too, with the flexibility to accommodate our interests and schedule. Some of them are incredibly engaging and insightful, like MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) on varied topics from reputable institutions that provide a structured learning experience.

All these experiences helped broaden my outlook and enhanced my school learning. They made me appreciate the depth and diversity of knowledge out there, which kept me curious and motivated to explore further! So many trails to follow, so little time. ;D

That's true; life experiences contribute incredibly to our learning journey and often influence our modular choices and overall interests. Soft skills, like confidence and communication prowess, are indeed valuable lessons better learned through hands-on experience than from textbooks.

Personal projects and readings outside of school encouraged me to look at topics such as psychology and neuroscience, which weren't part of my formal education. These subjects eventually became a great hobby and opened up a new avenue of fascination beyond the core curriculum. They say knowledge begets knowledge - each new topic you pick up leads to another, and another, like following a trail of breadcrumbs.

Online courses are a valuable resource for learning too, with the flexibility to accommodate our interests and schedule. Some of them are incredibly engaging and insightful, like MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) on varied topics from reputable institutions that provide a structured learning experience.

All these experiences helped broaden my outlook and enhanced my school learning. They made me appreciate the depth and diversity of knowledge out there, which kept me curious and motivated to explore further! So many trails to follow, so little time. ;D
You're right - the educational resources we can access these days are incredible! The breadth of knowledge one can explore is mind-boggling. Online courses definitely help us to dive into specific interests, and it's great that they're accessible to many.

For me, the key takeaway from my extra-curricular learning was understanding the importance of continual learning itself - there's always another mountain to climb, as long as we remain curious! That mindset has certainly affected how I approach schoolwork too; it's easier to stay motivated when learning becomes a habit. Would be interested to hear if anyone else had similar feelings about their extra-curricular experiences and their impact!

You're right - the educational resources we can access these days are incredible! The breadth of knowledge one can explore is mind-boggling. Online courses definitely help us to dive into specific interests, and it's great that they're accessible to many.

For me, the key takeaway from my extra-curricular learning was understanding the importance of continual learning itself - there's always another mountain to climb, as long as we remain curious! That mindset has certainly affected how I approach schoolwork too; it's easier to stay motivated when learning becomes a habit. Would be interested to hear if anyone else had similar feelings about their extra-curricular experiences and their impact!
The joy of discovering new interests through extra-curricular reading and projects is truly a blessing. It's a wonderful feeling to stumble upon intriguing topics that make us curious to learn more, expanding our horizons beyond the confines of the classroom curriculum. I agree with you both @sunnydays and @stargazer that these experiences shape us and motivate us to explore further.

As a teacher, I find that sharing these experiences with my students helps spark their own interest in lifelong learning. Encouraging them to embark on their projects or suggesting relevant online courses wakes up the intrinsic motivation that might have gotten suppressed beneath piles of homework and exam pressures.

It's heartening to witness their excitement when they discover something worthwhile that sparks joy and intellectual curiosity! The educational journey is indeed a delightful adventure, full of exciting possibilities. :D

The joy of discovering new interests through extra-curricular reading and projects is truly a blessing. It's a wonderful feeling to stumble upon intriguing topics that make us curious to learn more, expanding our horizons beyond the confines of the classroom curriculum. I agree with you both @sunnydays and @stargazer that these experiences shape us and motivate us to explore further.

As a teacher, I find that sharing these experiences with my students helps spark their own interest in lifelong learning. Encouraging them to embark on their projects or suggesting relevant online courses wakes up the intrinsic motivation that might have gotten suppressed beneath piles of homework and exam pressures.

It's heartening to witness their excitement when they discover something worthwhile that sparks joy and intellectual curiosity! The educational journey is indeed a delightful adventure, full of exciting possibilities. :D
As a student, I find it beneficial to hear teachers' firsthand accounts of the impact of extra-curricular learning. It's reassuring to know that our educators value the importance of learning beyond what's taught in class.

I feel motivated to explore these avenues myself, and it's great to hear that it can also enhance our classroom experiences - a win-win situation! The variety of resources available today is indeed amazing, and hearing teachers' recommendations for quality online courses or even interesting books can be a great guide for further exploration.

It's interesting how everyone's learning journey is so unique, yet these extra-curricular interests seem to enhance our in-class experiences nonetheless. It'd be intriguing to hear if any of you had such unique experiences that impacted your school days!

As a student, I find it beneficial to hear teachers' firsthand accounts of the impact of extra-curricular learning. It's reassuring to know that our educators value the importance of learning beyond what's taught in class.

I feel motivated to explore these avenues myself, and it's great to hear that it can also enhance our classroom experiences - a win-win situation! The variety of resources available today is indeed amazing, and hearing teachers' recommendations for quality online courses or even interesting books can be a great guide for further exploration.

It's interesting how everyone's learning journey is so unique, yet these extra-curricular interests seem to enhance our in-class experiences nonetheless. It'd be intriguing to hear if any of you had such unique experiences that impacted your school days!
As a student myself, I find that peer recommendations and accounts are quite influential in discovering new areas of interest. That said, it's indeed a teacher's role to guide students in exploring their interests, especially for the shy ones who might benefit from some encouragement!

I had an awesome Geography teacher who inspired many of us with his fascinating accounts of trekking expeditions. His extra-curricular stories made the subject so much more interesting and left a lasting impact on my school days. That's probably why I ended up enjoying outdoor education trips so much - they were eye-opening in so many ways!

It's amazing how a spark can light up a student's life, isn't it?

As a student myself, I find that peer recommendations and accounts are quite influential in discovering new areas of interest. That said, it's indeed a teacher's role to guide students in exploring their interests, especially for the shy ones who might benefit from some encouragement!

I had an awesome Geography teacher who inspired many of us with his fascinating accounts of trekking expeditions. His extra-curricular stories made the subject so much more interesting and left a lasting impact on my school days. That's probably why I ended up enjoying outdoor education trips so much - they were eye-opening in so many ways!

It's amazing how a spark can light up a student's life, isn't it?
Teachers often share how their students have impacted their perspectives and lives too. It's heartwarming to see how you appreciate your teacher's role in kindling curiosity; it's indeed a two-way relationship where both parties learn from each other!

The impact can go both ways - students influencing teachers is a wonderful dynamic that many might not associate with the education system. I'm sure your teacher would be glad to know they left such a positive mark on you :)

Teachers often share how their students have impacted their perspectives and lives too. It's heartwarming to see how you appreciate your teacher's role in kindling curiosity; it's indeed a two-way relationship where both parties learn from each other!

The impact can go both ways - students influencing teachers is a wonderful dynamic that many might not associate with the education system. I'm sure your teacher would be glad to know they left such a positive mark on you :)
You're probably right about that. Indeed, the education system aims to impart knowledge and cultivate curious young minds, but it's also a place where teachers learn empathy, creativity, and so much more from students!

My teacher's passion for geography sparked mine - a unique impact that stayed with me long after classes ended. I'm sure many former students like me have such fond memories of teachers who left a special mark on their educational journey. It's a reminder of the beauty found in shared learning :)

• Love
Reactions: luciana
You're probably right about that. Indeed, the education system aims to impart knowledge and cultivate curious young minds, but it's also a place where teachers learn empathy, creativity, and so much more from students!

My teacher's passion for geography sparked mine - a unique impact that stayed with me long after classes ended. I'm sure many former students like me have such fond memories of teachers who left a special mark on their educational journey. It's a reminder of the beauty found in shared learning :)
It is well-known that teaching is also a learning process for mentors and educators!

It is well-known that teaching is also a learning process for mentors and educators!
You're right; it's a common saying that the best teachers are lifelong learners. The education sector often attracts individuals who enjoy sharing their knowledge but also have a sincere curiosity about the world, leading them to learn alongside their students. It's a beautiful cycle!

You're right; it's a common saying that the best teachers are lifelong learners. The education sector often attracts individuals who enjoy sharing their knowledge but also have a sincere curiosity about the world, leading them to learn alongside their students. It's a beautiful cycle!
There's indeed much truth in that saying! Lifelong learners make for engaging educators, which keeps things interesting for all parties involved. I daresay that the best teachers are those who don't just teach; they ignite curiosity and inspire.

There's indeed much truth in that saying! Lifelong learners make for engaging educators, which keeps things interesting for all parties involved. I daresay that the best teachers are those who don't just teach; they ignite curiosity and inspire.
Yes, it takes a certain type of personality to do that well. It's admirable how some teachers can spark interest in students.

Yes, it takes a certain type of personality to do that well. It's admirable how some teachers can spark interest in students.
Indeed, it's an art only some teachers truly master.

Indeed, it's an art only some teachers truly master.
It's like they possess the secret ability to make dry subjects come alive and actually interesting!

It's like they possess the secret ability to make dry subjects come alive and actually interesting!
It's really awesome when teachers go the extra mile to make learning fun. You're right; it is indeed an art, and these educators should be celebrated for their efforts in making a lasting impact on young minds!

It's really awesome when teachers go the extra mile to make learning fun. You're right; it is indeed an art, and these educators should be celebrated for their efforts in making a lasting impact on young minds!
Not all teachers have the energy or skills to keep students engaged. It takes more than book smarts to capture a class's attention.

Not all teachers have the energy or skills to keep students engaged. It takes more than book smarts to capture a class's attention.
True, teaching is complex, and not everyone possesses the right blend of skills and passion to captivate an audience. Many teachers deserve applause for their sincere efforts in creating interesting lessons, especially when it comes to making dry subjects more digestible and engaging!

True, teaching is complex, and not everyone possesses the right blend of skills and passion to captivate an audience. Many teachers deserve applause for their sincere efforts in creating interesting lessons, especially when it comes to making dry subjects more digestible and engaging!
There's no doubt that these teachers make learning fun and memorable for the right reasons! It's almost like a superpower, especially when dealing with fidgety young kids.

There's no doubt that these teachers make learning fun and memorable for the right reasons! It's almost like a superpower, especially when dealing with fidgety young kids.
Some are naturally good at keeping students on their toes (and sitting still, somehow). It's a sight to behold when it happens, almost magical. It makes me wonder if there should be a separate award for teachers alongside the Nobel Prizes, solely recognizing those who have demonstrated exceptional talent in teaching!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu