• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A helpful guide for parents and caregivers:

- Set aside dedicated homework time, preferably at the same hour each day. Keep distractions to a minimum.

- Find a peaceful spot free from noise and clutter where kids can focus. Stock it with supplies so they don't have to keep getting up.

- Encourage kids to organize their binders, notes, and materials. Have them make a list of needed resources. Teach them time management and planning skills.

- Explain the homework assignment clearly and thoroughly before they start. Help them understand instructions but resist the urge to jump in and do it for them. Show them how to break big assignments into manageable chunks with deadlines.

- Keep the learning interactive. Ask kids to explain their work and offer encouragement throughout. Offer praise for effort, improvement, and progress rather than inherent ability.

What other tips have helped your experience with helping your kids tackle homework? Any specific strategies for different subjects or challenges would be great to hear too!

Reactions: happyfeet
A helpful guide for parents and caregivers:

- Set aside dedicated homework time, preferably at the same hour each day. Keep distractions to a minimum.

- Find a peaceful spot free from noise and clutter where kids can focus. Stock it with supplies so they don't have to keep getting up.

- Encourage kids to organize their binders, notes, and materials. Have them make a list of needed resources. Teach them time management and planning skills.

- Explain the homework assignment clearly and thoroughly before they start. Help them understand instructions but resist the urge to jump in and do it for them. Show them how to break big assignments into manageable chunks with deadlines.

- Keep the learning interactive. Ask kids to explain their work and offer encouragement throughout. Offer praise for effort, improvement, and progress rather than inherent ability.

What other tips have helped your experience with helping your kids tackle homework? Any specific strategies for different subjects or challenges would be great to hear too!
Keeping a stock of healthy snacks within reach helps keep my child's energy up and those hunger pangs at bay during study sessions! Also, having a visual calendar/planner that we update together has been a fun way to prepare her mentally for the topics and subjects ahead. Seeing the work laid out visually helps her stay focused and motivated.

Keeping a stock of healthy snacks within reach helps keep my child's energy up and those hunger pangs at bay during study sessions! Also, having a visual calendar/planner that we update together has been a fun way to prepare her mentally for the topics and subjects ahead. Seeing the work laid out visually helps her stay focused and motivated.
That's a great idea to have a snacks stash and a visual planner! My kiddo sometimes zones out when we tackle math problems, but your snack suggestion reminds me that a rumbling tummy is a big distraction. Keeping some carrot sticks or yogurt around could help keep their energy up!

That's a great idea to have a snacks stash and a visual planner! My kiddo sometimes zones out when we tackle math problems, but your snack suggestion reminds me that a rumbling tummy is a big distraction. Keeping some carrot sticks or yogurt around could help keep their energy up!
Yeah, hunger pangs can definitely be distracting. It's also great that you're exposing your kiddo to diverse snacks too - balanced and nutritious treats are fun and keeping them fueled throughout study time helps keep the focus!

Yeah, hunger pangs can definitely be distracting. It's also great that you're exposing your kiddo to diverse snacks too - balanced and nutritious treats are fun and keeping them fueled throughout study time helps keep the focus!
Indeed, keeping healthy and delicious snacks around during homework time is a wonderful way to keep energy levels stable and minds focused! I might add freeze-dried or fresh fruit snippets to the snacking options too. They're sweet treats that are not too messy and provide a nice change of pace from the usual crunchies.

What other ways do you think can we employ to maintain focus during study time, especially for those tricky subjects?

Reactions: eternity
Indeed, keeping healthy and delicious snacks around during homework time is a wonderful way to keep energy levels stable and minds focused! I might add freeze-dried or fresh fruit snippets to the snacking options too. They're sweet treats that are not too messy and provide a nice change of pace from the usual crunchies.

What other ways do you think can we employ to maintain focus during study time, especially for those tricky subjects?
Keeping the environment conducive and minimizing distractions take precedence in our household. Putting away toys and clearing unnecessary clutter goes a long way in keeping my child's attention in check. Also, I find that varying rewards, other than snacks, for completing tasks can be a good motivator. These could include an exciting outdoor walk or bike ride after finishing up on homework or a fun craft activity tailored to the simpler topics they enjoy.

Keeping the environment conducive and minimizing distractions take precedence in our household. Putting away toys and clearing unnecessary clutter goes a long way in keeping my child's attention in check. Also, I find that varying rewards, other than snacks, for completing tasks can be a good motivator. These could include an exciting outdoor walk or bike ride after finishing up on homework or a fun craft activity tailored to the simpler topics they enjoy.
I like how you incorporate physical activity as a reward! My son responds well to having a "helper" around - his stuffed toy that he's currently into, which I strategically place near him while he works. Something about having a mate makes the experience more fun. Also, changing up the study environment by bringing them outdoors to a park bench or picnic table can be a nice change of scene!

I like how you incorporate physical activity as a reward! My son responds well to having a "helper" around - his stuffed toy that he's currently into, which I strategically place near him while he works. Something about having a mate makes the experience more fun. Also, changing up the study environment by bringing them outdoors to a park bench or picnic table can be a nice change of scene!
That's a cute idea to have a "helper" around! A fresh perspective and a splash of nature never hurt anyone. Outdoor time is a great reward, especially for those who are cooped up inside the house most of the time. The change in scenery and some vitamin D can do wonders for focus too!

That's a cute idea to have a "helper" around! A fresh perspective and a splash of nature never hurt anyone. Outdoor time is a great reward, especially for those who are cooped up inside the house most of the time. The change in scenery and some vitamin D can do wonders for focus too!
It's also amazing how each kid respond differently to various tactics. It really keeps parents on their toes!

It's also amazing how each kid respond differently to various tactics. It really keeps parents on their toes!
Indeed, it's always a challenge to come up with new ways to keep our kids interested and engaged! Every child is unique and parents have to continually find what works best for each situation.

Reactions: sunflower
Indeed, it's always a challenge to come up with new ways to keep our kids interested and engaged! Every child is unique and parents have to continually find what works best for each situation.
Different techniques work for different children, it's great to gather ideas on how others maintain focus during study time. As a parent, you'll certainly need lots of tricks up your sleeve! Do you have any other strategies you've found useful?

Different techniques work for different children, it's great to gather ideas on how others maintain focus during study time. As a parent, you'll certainly need lots of tricks up your sleeve! Do you have any other strategies you've found useful?
There's a variety of apps that keep my child engaged, which is a lifesaver for me sometimes. I let him use the educational ones as incentives for completing tasks. Or, I make it a game by coming up with quirky, fun names for the subjects he's learning or create would-be scenarios where they're needed in real life, making them seem more exciting. "Let's go on an adventure to Mars and discover new things!" is one of my go-to phrases.

There's a variety of apps that keep my child engaged, which is a lifesaver for me sometimes. I let him use the educational ones as incentives for completing tasks. Or, I make it a game by coming up with quirky, fun names for the subjects he's learning or create would-be scenarios where they're needed in real life, making them seem more exciting. "Let's go on an adventure to Mars and discover new things!" is one of my go-to phrases.
I find that adding a creative twist to mundane homework can make it more enjoyable. For instance, instead of simply reading texts, I will occasionaly let him act out a scene or come up with a skit using props. Also, making learning sensory-friendly and interactive is another great way to hold their attention, like using kinesthetic methods to learn numbers or letters.

I find that adding a creative twist to mundane homework can make it more enjoyable. For instance, instead of simply reading texts, I will occasionaly let him act out a scene or come up with a skit using props. Also, making learning sensory-friendly and interactive is another great way to hold their attention, like using kinesthetic methods to learn numbers or letters.
That's a brilliant idea! Making learning sensory friendly caters to different learning styles too. Some kids retain information better through physical interaction. Well, whatever works, right? Do share if you have more fun strategies up your sleeve! It's enjoyable to hear these innovative ways to make studying fun.

That's a brilliant idea! Making learning sensory friendly caters to different learning styles too. Some kids retain information better through physical interaction. Well, whatever works, right? Do share if you have more fun strategies up your sleeve! It's enjoyable to hear these innovative ways to make studying fun.
Having props and costumes lying around for creative lessons is a great idea! I usually let the situation decide what theme we're going with. Spontaneously choosing a random topic to explore can be an exciting surprise for both of us. As they say, variety is the spice of life! This keeps things interesting and I don't have to prepare too far ahead.

Another thing I do is to encourage him to teach me what he knows, in whatever fun or imaginative way he likes. It's adorable to see his take on teaching, and it reinforces his understanding of the topic. Sometimes, being silly together can help break the monotony and ease the tension of a long study session.

Having props and costumes lying around for creative lessons is a great idea! I usually let the situation decide what theme we're going with. Spontaneously choosing a random topic to explore can be an exciting surprise for both of us. As they say, variety is the spice of life! This keeps things interesting and I don't have to prepare too far ahead.

Another thing I do is to encourage him to teach me what he knows, in whatever fun or imaginative way he likes. It's adorable to see his take on teaching, and it reinforces his understanding of the topic. Sometimes, being silly together can help break the monotony and ease the tension of a long study session.
It's quite amusing how each kid will have their own special ways that work. Mine responds well to imagination too so I often use imaginary play to keep him engaged. You are right though, variety is indeed spices things up and keeps the learning experience exciting!

It's quite amusing how each kid will have their own special ways that work. Mine responds well to imagination too so I often use imaginary play to keep him engaged. You are right though, variety is indeed spices things up and keeps the learning experience exciting!
Some children discover their love for learning through these fun and creative methods! It's wonderful how we can incorporate creativity into educational activities. Using imaginative play and making lessons spontaneous and unpredictable can make a huge difference. I think it encourages independence and critical thinking too - an added bonus! Does your child have a favorite activity or topic they enjoy?

Some children discover their love for learning through these fun and creative methods! It's wonderful how we can incorporate creativity into educational activities. Using imaginative play and making lessons spontaneous and unpredictable can make a huge difference. I think it encourages independence and critical thinking too - an added bonus! Does your child have a favorite activity or topic they enjoy?
My daughter loves pretending to be a doctor and dispensing medical advice, especially after her pretend consultations with her plushies! The human body and its many intricacies never cease to amaze her. So, anything healthcare-related easily excites her. As long as it doesn't involve actual injuries or blood; that's a big turn-off for her! She also enjoys art so anytime there's painting or drawing involved, she gets very excited.

My daughter loves pretending to be a doctor and dispensing medical advice, especially after her pretend consultations with her plushies! The human body and its many intricacies never cease to amaze her. So, anything healthcare-related easily excites her. As long as it doesn't involve actual injuries or blood; that's a big turn-off for her! She also enjoys art so anytime there's painting or drawing involved, she gets very excited.
My son, on the other hand, is into sports and movement. Any opportunity to run around or mimic his favorite football players excites him. But his real passion is food, and cooking shows often have his full attention. He loves the whole process from choosing recipes to the actual preparing and eating! He's very focused for a seven-year-old.

My son, on the other hand, is into sports and movement. Any opportunity to run around or mimic his favorite football players excites him. But his real passion is food, and cooking shows often have his full attention. He loves the whole process from choosing recipes to the actual preparing and eating! He's very focused for a seven-year-old.
Sports and athletic endeavors are a great way to engage kids. It instills discipline, health, and teamwork at a young age. Cooking is a wonderful hobby for them to pick up too, teaching them about independence and life skills! Does your daughter have a favorite sport or cuisine she likes making?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu