• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Having Multiples in the Fam

It's great to have this online support group to seek guidance from, especially when you're tired and at your wit's end! Do you find yourself frequently turning to online resources and communities for parenting multiples?
I do seek advice from online resources, but not as often now because my kids are growing older. The challenges change as they grow, so I've found myself seeking guidance IRL (in real life) more often these days - catching up with other mums with similar aged kids, or seeking advice from seasoned parents whose kids are older.

I do seek advice from online resources, but not as often now because my kids are growing older. The challenges change as they grow, so I've found myself seeking guidance IRL (in real life) more often these days - catching up with other mums with similar aged kids, or seeking advice from seasoned parents whose kids are older.
That's true; the nature of challenges changes as multiples grow older! It's good to hear that you're getting useful advice from real-life sources too. :)

That's true; the nature of challenges changes as multiples grow older! It's good to hear that you're getting useful advice from real-life sources too. :)
It's indeed reassuring to know that the challenges we face are temporary and will change as our little ones grow.

It's indeed reassuring to know that the challenges we face are temporary and will change as our little ones grow.
It is good to have this kind of assurance when things get tough. parenting is such a long journey with many unknowns, it's nice to hear experiences from others further along the road.

It is good to have this kind of assurance when things get tough. parenting is such a long journey with many unknowns, it's nice to hear experiences from others further along the road.
I find comfort in knowing that challenges are often temporary, especially on harder days. Online forums do help to shed light on possible future scenarios, which is comforting in another way!

I find comfort in knowing that challenges are often temporary, especially on harder days. Online forums do help to shed light on possible future scenarios, which is comforting in another way!
The experiences shared here really paint a picture of the journey ahead, preparing us psychologically and offering practical tips too.

The experiences shared here really paint a picture of the journey ahead, preparing us psychologically and offering practical tips too.
You're spot on about how forum experiences prepare us mentally for what's to come - the good and the challenging!

You're spot on about how forum experiences prepare us mentally for what's to come - the good and the challenging!
There's so much we can learn from each other's situations and it really helps to have a community of parents to turn to. Have you made any real-life friends through your online interactions here?

There's so much we can learn from each other's situations and it really helps to have a community of parents to turn to. Have you made any real-life friends through your online interactions here?
Yes, I've met a few moms IRL through this forum. We organize playdates sometimes, which are fun because the kids get to interact too!

Yes, I've met a few moms IRL through this forum. We organize playdates sometimes, which are fun because the kids get to interact too!
That's wonderful! Playdates sound like a great way to make real-life friends and for the little ones to have some fun together. Does your toddler enjoy these social gatherings?

That's wonderful! Playdates sound like a great way to make real-life friends and for the little ones to have some fun together. Does your toddler enjoy these social gatherings?
My older boy loves playdates, especially if there are other kids his age around. He's a very social little fellow. The younger one's still figuring it all out, but he enjoys the attention from the older kids, ha!

My older boy loves playdates, especially if there are other kids his age around. He's a very social little fellow. The younger one's still figuring it all out, but he enjoys the attention from the older kids, ha!
That's cute that your younger son enjoys the added attention from older kids. Do your boys ever fight over toys during these playdates?

That's cute that your younger son enjoys the added attention from older kids. Do your boys ever fight over toys during these playdates?
There's bound to be a scuffle every now and then, especially when there are strong personalities involved! We do our best to pack plenty of familiar toys and also teach them to take turns.

There's bound to be a scuffle every now and then, especially when there are strong personalities involved! We do our best to pack plenty of familiar toys and also teach them to take turns.
Good call on bringing familiar toys to keep everyone entertained and minimize squabbles! Teaching toddlers to share and take turns is such essential life prep work 😅. Do you have any go-to strategies for keeping the peace when playdate tensions rise?

Good call on bringing familiar toys to keep everyone entertained and minimize squabbles! Teaching toddlers to share and take turns is such essential life prep work 😅. Do you have any go-to strategies for keeping the peace when playdate tensions rise?
Ah, the art of keeping peace during toddler playdates - a worthy skill to develop indeed! I usually have a few tricks up my sleeve for such occasions.

Firstly, I'd divert their attention to another activity, preferably something exciting and new. A change of scenery or introducing an intriguing new toy can help redirect their focus and cool down the situation, especially if the squabble was over a toy.

If tensions run high, I'd whip out the good old peekaboo or show them a video of cute animals on my phone - toddler favourites that buy me some time to de-escalate the fight. For post-playdate debriefs, I find that having a special snack often helps to cheer everyone up!

What about you? Any secret tactics for keeping playdates harmonious?

Ah, the art of keeping peace during toddler playdates - a worthy skill to develop indeed! I usually have a few tricks up my sleeve for such occasions.

Firstly, I'd divert their attention to another activity, preferably something exciting and new. A change of scenery or introducing an intriguing new toy can help redirect their focus and cool down the situation, especially if the squabble was over a toy.

If tensions run high, I'd whip out the good old peekaboo or show them a video of cute animals on my phone - toddler favourites that buy me some time to de-escalate the fight. For post-playdate debriefs, I find that having a special snack often helps to cheer everyone up!

What about you? Any secret tactics for keeping playdates harmonious?
I try to anticipate any potential issues and come prepared with a variety of toys that are similar but slightly different - like having 2-3 of the same type of car but in varying colors. It usually helps to avoid serious fights over "the blue car." Also, an emergency stash of stickers rewards good behavior and eases tensions! I love the idea of cute animal videos though; might have to try that next time!

I try to anticipate any potential issues and come prepared with a variety of toys that are similar but slightly different - like having 2-3 of the same type of car but in varying colors. It usually helps to avoid serious fights over "the blue car." Also, an emergency stash of stickers rewards good behavior and eases tensions! I love the idea of cute animal videos though; might have to try that next time!
You seem to be quite the veteran at preparing for playdates! Your strategies are impressive and thoughtful. I'm sure other parents will find this thread useful!

You seem to be quite the veteran at preparing for playdates! Your strategies are impressive and thoughtful. I'm sure other parents will find this thread useful!
I'm glad I could offer some tips that other parents can use as well! It certainly helps to learn from one another's experiences.

I'm glad I could offer some tips that other parents can use as well! It certainly helps to learn from one another's experiences.
Learning from each other's experiences is truly what parenting is all about! Thanks for sharing your insights - they're greatly appreciated, and I'm sure many will find them helpful! Have a great day ahead!

Learning from each other's experiences is truly what parenting is all about! Thanks for sharing your insights - they're greatly appreciated, and I'm sure many will find them helpful! Have a great day ahead!
You too, have a fantastic day!

Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu