• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Having Multiples in the Fam

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that raising multiples is significantly more challenging than we expected, despite the excitement and rewards? I feel like people often say it's "double the fun," but sometimes it feels like double or triple the work!

What experiences or tips do you have for managing the unique challenges of raising multiples, especially in those early years when they're so tiny and demand so much attention? We're dealing with everything from feeding schedules to simultaneous diaper explosions, and I'd love to hear strategies for surviving - and thriving - during this crazy time!

Has anyone else noticed that raising multiples is significantly more challenging than we expected, despite the excitement and rewards? I feel like people often say it's "double the fun," but sometimes it feels like double or triple the work!

What experiences or tips do you have for managing the unique challenges of raising multiples, especially in those early years when they're so tiny and demand so much attention? We're dealing with everything from feeding schedules to simultaneous diaper explosions, and I'd love to hear strategies for surviving - and thriving - during this crazy time!
I feel ya! Most people who don't have multiples don't realize how challenging it can be, even though it's also incredibly rewarding.

Here's a few things that helped me:
1. accept help - When friends and family offer to lend a hand, let them! Don’t be a hero and try to do it all because that’s a quick route to burnout. Help could also come from professional caregivers or babysitters, and that's okay too!

2. Routine is Key - Establishing a strict daily routine, especially for those early feeds and naps, helped me keep my sanity. That way, they learn the rhythm of the day and what's expected of them (eventually).

You've got this! It does get easier and become a lot of fun when you navigate past the early challenges.

I feel ya! Most people who don't have multiples don't realize how challenging it can be, even though it's also incredibly rewarding.

Here's a few things that helped me:
1. accept help - When friends and family offer to lend a hand, let them! Don’t be a hero and try to do it all because that’s a quick route to burnout. Help could also come from professional caregivers or babysitters, and that's okay too!

2. Routine is Key - Establishing a strict daily routine, especially for those early feeds and naps, helped me keep my sanity. That way, they learn the rhythm of the day and what's expected of them (eventually).

You've got this! It does get easier and become a lot of fun when you navigate past the early challenges.
Yes, some well-meaning friends and family members truly do not fathom the sheer amount of work and physical drain that comes with raising multiples in those initial years. Their intentions are golden, but man oh man, the struggles are very real!

I second your thoughts on establishing a routine. In addition to that, here are some strategies which helped me navigate the early years:

- Label everything! With multiples, organization is key. Label their clothing, feeding bottles, and even toys, so you don't have to waste time figuring out who owns what, especially when they start nursery or pre-school. Name labels stickies are your best friend!

- Sync those naps: Getting the little ones on the same sleep schedule is a godsend. It gives you some respite and also ensures that you're not stuck entertaining one while tending to the other's needs simultaneously.

- Batch cook those purees: I remember spending entire days making and freezing baby food purées in ice cube trays. It's a labor of love, but worth it to have healthy, home-cooked meals ready for the little ones. Plus, it gives you control over the portion sizes and salt/sugar intake.

Those early years are a blur of feeding, burping, changing, and sleeping (or lack thereof), but there's so much joy amidst the chaos. Cherish the moments, because before you know it, they're off to school!

Yes, some well-meaning friends and family members truly do not fathom the sheer amount of work and physical drain that comes with raising multiples in those initial years. Their intentions are golden, but man oh man, the struggles are very real!

I second your thoughts on establishing a routine. In addition to that, here are some strategies which helped me navigate the early years:

- Label everything! With multiples, organization is key. Label their clothing, feeding bottles, and even toys, so you don't have to waste time figuring out who owns what, especially when they start nursery or pre-school. Name labels stickies are your best friend!

- Sync those naps: Getting the little ones on the same sleep schedule is a godsend. It gives you some respite and also ensures that you're not stuck entertaining one while tending to the other's needs simultaneously.

- Batch cook those purees: I remember spending entire days making and freezing baby food purées in ice cube trays. It's a labor of love, but worth it to have healthy, home-cooked meals ready for the little ones. Plus, it gives you control over the portion sizes and salt/sugar intake.

Those early years are a blur of feeding, burping, changing, and sleeping (or lack thereof), but there's so much joy amidst the chaos. Cherish the moments, because before you know it, they're off to school!
That's great advice! Organization and preparation definitely help during those intense early years. Labeling items is indeed a clever strategy which can save a lot of hassle and confusion, especially when things need to be packed away quickly or identified in a flash!

Speaking of school, did your little ones adjust well when they first started? My twins are about to turn five, and I'm both excited and nervous for them to embark on their formal education journey. Any tips to help prepare them (and myself!) would be much appreciated!

That's great advice! Organization and preparation definitely help during those intense early years. Labeling items is indeed a clever strategy which can save a lot of hassle and confusion, especially when things need to be packed away quickly or identified in a flash!

Speaking of school, did your little ones adjust well when they first started? My twins are about to turn five, and I'm both excited and nervous for them to embark on their formal education journey. Any tips to help prepare them (and myself!) would be much appreciated!
The first few days of school are a big milestone, and it's normal to feel nervous! But from one multiple mama to another, I think you'll be surprised at how well your little ones adapt and thrive in their new environment. After all, they've been exposed to so many new experiences and people their entire life, this is just another exciting adventure for them!

Here are some things that might help during the transition:

1. Prepare Them: Start talking about school a few months ahead of time. Share stories about your own favorite school memories, or if they have older cousins or friends who go to school, let them share their experiences. The unfamiliar environment won't seem so scary if it's been discussed and normalized beforehand.

2. Role Play: If they're up for it, engage in some role-playing games where they pretend to be students going to school. Have them "pack" imaginary backpacks and greet their imaginary teacher at the door. It might seem silly, but it prepares them mentally and emotionally.

3. Visit the School: Arrange a visit to their new school a few weeks before enrollment. Show them around the premises, introducing them to some of the staff and maybe even let them interact with some fellow students if possible. That way, everything won't seem so strange on Day 1.

4. Practice Routine: Establish a mock school routine a few times beforehand - practice getting ready in the mornings, packing snacks, and putting on their backpacks. It makes the actual school days less overwhelming when they know what's expected of them.

5. Send Love Notes: Pack their lunchboxes with cute little notes or drawings. That first day especially will be emotional for both of you, so remind them that you're thinking of them during the day.

As for preparing yourself, remember that every parent goes through this, and you've already tackled much tougher challenges - think of those chaotic newborn days! You've got this! Try to keep your own feelings of sadness or apprehension disguised; your little ones might pick up on them otherwise.

Keep in mind, the teachers are professionals who do this every day; they'll guide your kids through their new journey. You're just sending them off into a whole new exciting world, where they'll learn and make new friends. It's the beginning of a wonderful adventure!

Does that help? I wish you and your little ones all the best as you embark on this fun journey!

The first few days of school are a big milestone, and it's normal to feel nervous! But from one multiple mama to another, I think you'll be surprised at how well your little ones adapt and thrive in their new environment. After all, they've been exposed to so many new experiences and people their entire life, this is just another exciting adventure for them!

Here are some things that might help during the transition:

1. Prepare Them: Start talking about school a few months ahead of time. Share stories about your own favorite school memories, or if they have older cousins or friends who go to school, let them share their experiences. The unfamiliar environment won't seem so scary if it's been discussed and normalized beforehand.

2. Role Play: If they're up for it, engage in some role-playing games where they pretend to be students going to school. Have them "pack" imaginary backpacks and greet their imaginary teacher at the door. It might seem silly, but it prepares them mentally and emotionally.

3. Visit the School: Arrange a visit to their new school a few weeks before enrollment. Show them around the premises, introducing them to some of the staff and maybe even let them interact with some fellow students if possible. That way, everything won't seem so strange on Day 1.

4. Practice Routine: Establish a mock school routine a few times beforehand - practice getting ready in the mornings, packing snacks, and putting on their backpacks. It makes the actual school days less overwhelming when they know what's expected of them.

5. Send Love Notes: Pack their lunchboxes with cute little notes or drawings. That first day especially will be emotional for both of you, so remind them that you're thinking of them during the day.

As for preparing yourself, remember that every parent goes through this, and you've already tackled much tougher challenges - think of those chaotic newborn days! You've got this! Try to keep your own feelings of sadness or apprehension disguised; your little ones might pick up on them otherwise.

Keep in mind, the teachers are professionals who do this every day; they'll guide your kids through their new journey. You're just sending them off into a whole new exciting world, where they'll learn and make new friends. It's the beginning of a wonderful adventure!

Does that help? I wish you and your little ones all the best as you embark on this fun journey!
Your suggestions are detailed and helpful! I especially love the idea of sending them off to school with little notes, such a sweet sentiment!

The role-playing game is an excellent suggestion that I'd not considered. It's a great way to normalize the upcoming change and give them some psychological preparation, in a fun and harmless way. I'm definitely going to start preparing them early; it'll be fascinating to hear their perceptions of school!

As you said, teachers are pros at handling nervous newbies, but I might just call ahead and brief them on my shy twins anyway - never hurt to ask for some extra reassurance!

All in all, I think the experience will be a positive one, now that we've got a game plan. Thanks again! Here's to new beginnings!

Your suggestions are detailed and helpful! I especially love the idea of sending them off to school with little notes, such a sweet sentiment!

The role-playing game is an excellent suggestion that I'd not considered. It's a great way to normalize the upcoming change and give them some psychological preparation, in a fun and harmless way. I'm definitely going to start preparing them early; it'll be fascinating to hear their perceptions of school!

As you said, teachers are pros at handling nervous newbies, but I might just call ahead and brief them on my shy twins anyway - never hurt to ask for some extra reassurance!

All in all, I think the experience will be a positive one, now that we've got a game plan. Thanks again! Here's to new beginnings!
You're welcome! I'm sure your twins will do just fine, and it's great that you're so proactive about making their transition easier. Role-playing is a fun way to prepare them for what's ahead without the daunting reality sinking in. Here's to an adventure awaiting! Have a wonderful week!

You're welcome! I'm sure your twins will do just fine, and it's great that you're so proactive about making their transition easier. Role-playing is a fun way to prepare them for what's ahead without the daunting reality sinking in. Here's to an adventure awaiting! Have a wonderful week!
You too! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Goodnight, nap time is never a bad idea.
I'm looking forward to a sleepytime cuddle with my little one tonight. Sweet dreams, all! Have a wonderful evening rest :)

I'm looking forward to a sleepytime cuddle with my little one tonight. Sweet dreams, all! Have a wonderful evening rest :)
Aw, that sounds adorable! Hope you have a good night ahead and an even better day tomorrow!

Aw, that sounds adorable! Hope you have a good night ahead and an even better day tomorrow!
Thank you! I hope you're also embracing the coziness of this night and have pleasant dreams too! Catch ya later!

Thanks, have a fantastic week yourself! Keep those lovely children of yours entertained and enjoy the little adventures :) See you on the flip side!
There's only so much one can do with my creative juices flowing, hope you have a splashtastic week ahead! Catch ya later!

There's only so much one can do with my creative juices flowing, hope you have a splashtastic week ahead! Catch ya later!
Have a great week ahead, and here's to keeping the kids entertained - it's a full-time job in itself! See ya later :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu