• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun learning activities for toddlers!

the simpler and more mundane it is, the more curious toddlers get! A good reminder that play doesn't always have to be elaborate to be fun and educational.
elaborate playthings might overwhelm tiny tots. The humble cardboard box can offer many delights, providing hours of fun and imagination!

elaborate playthings might overwhelm tiny tots. The humble cardboard box can offer many delights, providing hours of fun and imagination!
the simplicity of the unknown often intrigues toddlers, leaving us wonder-struck adults scratching our heads! Cardboard boxes, with their mysterious allure, become spaceships or racecars, providing ample entertainment for little ones. And who knows what other simple Joys await their discovery?

Do you moms have other fun, simple activities that keep your toddlers engaged and amused?

the simplicity of the unknown often intrigues toddlers, leaving us wonder-struck adults scratching our heads! Cardboard boxes, with their mysterious allure, become spaceships or racecars, providing ample entertainment for little ones. And who knows what other simple Joys await their discovery?

Do you moms have other fun, simple activities that keep your toddlers engaged and amused?
The mystery of everyday objects is captivating! Aside from the usual suspect - the cardboard box - tot-friendly stamping with paints could be a hit for sensory play. Also, filling up a tub with different colored rice and allowing them to sieve and transfer grains could be another simple indoor activity that's not too messy.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
The mystery of everyday objects is captivating! Aside from the usual suspect - the cardboard box - tot-friendly stamping with paints could be a hit for sensory play. Also, filling up a tub with different colored rice and allowing them to sieve and transfer grains could be another simple indoor activity that's not too messy.
That does sound like fun! Toddlers would definitely enjoy the sensory experience of playing with different textures.

That does sound like fun! Toddlers would definitely enjoy the sensory experience of playing with different textures.
Textile plays such as this offer a unique sensory delight that's often overlooked. It's amazing how we can make learning fun for our little ones! Do you have pictures of your tot enjoying these activities?

Textile plays such as this offer a unique sensory delight that's often overlooked. It's amazing how we can make learning fun for our little ones! Do you have pictures of your tot enjoying these activities?
I do not have any photos because I am loathe to share photos of my kid online, but I could imagine how adorable everyone's toddlers would look like with colorful rice all over their hands! The messier, the more fun it probably was!

Also, kudos to all the mummies here for putting together this list of wonderful activity ideas! It's inspiring to see how creative and resourceful we can get.

I do not have any photos because I am loathe to share photos of my kid online, but I could imagine how adorable everyone's toddlers would look like with colorful rice all over their hands! The messier, the more fun it probably was!

Also, kudos to all the mummies here for putting together this list of wonderful activity ideas! It's inspiring to see how creative and resourceful we can get.
It's heartwarming to witness the creative genius at work here. Each idea is a testament to the limitless possibilities available to little ones, often right under our noses!

Let's keep them coming - the Internet could use more of these practical suggestions than perfectly staged Pinterest photos. 😉

It's heartwarming to witness the creative genius at work here. Each idea is a testament to the limitless possibilities available to little ones, often right under our noses!

Let's keep them coming - the Internet could use more of these practical suggestions than perfectly staged Pinterest photos. 😉
I agree that it's nice to have this list of recommendations compiled by actual mums who have tried these activities with their own toddlers. It's encouraging to see simple yet fun ideas that are manageable and don't require a lot of resources!

Reactions: techsavvy
I agree that it's nice to have this list of recommendations compiled by actual mums who have tried these activities with their own toddlers. It's encouraging to see simple yet fun ideas that are manageable and don't require a lot of resources!
You're right! It's impressive how many fun learning activities are possible with just household objects most days. It's encouraging for parents like myself who are always unsure of how to keep our curious little monsters engaged.

Have you compiled these ideas somewhere? Sometimes, I find online lists useful for quick reference.

You're right! It's impressive how many fun learning activities are possible with just household objects most days. It's encouraging for parents like myself who are always unsure of how to keep our curious little monsters engaged.

Have you compiled these ideas somewhere? Sometimes, I find online lists useful for quick reference.
I've been adding them to my Notes app on my phone, but that's just a personal collection. However, some of the mums here definitely deserve credit for their imaginative ideas! We should keep this thread alive and scrolling for future reference.

Perhaps we can also add age suitability and prep time needed for each activity, for convenience?

I've been adding them to my Notes app on my phone, but that's just a personal collection. However, some of the mums here definitely deserve credit for their imaginative ideas! We should keep this thread alive and scrolling for future reference.

Perhaps we can also add age suitability and prep time needed for each activity, for convenience?
That's a great idea to make this thread even more helpful! Some mummies might want to also include additional details like developmental benefits linked to each activity. Preparation time is a good suggestion too - it's enticing to see instantaneous activities that can be done on a whim!

That's a great idea to make this thread even more helpful! Some mummies might want to also include additional details like developmental benefits linked to each activity. Preparation time is a good suggestion too - it's enticing to see instantaneous activities that can be done on a whim!
Yes, including the developmental benefits will make this thread a handy reference for parents looking for fun and educational activities for their toddlers! As you said, adding details like prep time would also help in deciding beforehand if it's worth our while preparing the activity.

Do you have any specific activities in mind that we can start compiling here?

Yes, including the developmental benefits will make this thread a handy reference for parents looking for fun and educational activities for their toddlers! As you said, adding details like prep time would also help in deciding beforehand if it's worth our while preparing the activity.

Do you have any specific activities in mind that we can start compiling here?
There's so much to explore! For instance, scavenger hunts are great for cognitive and sensory development. A simple indoor nature hunt could involve collecting different leaves around the neighborhood. Toddlers could "go on a walk" with their caregivers and tick off items from a list as they find them - think sticks, interesting rocks or perhaps that unusual looking flower. Preparation time needed: 5 minutes tops!

There's so much to explore! For instance, scavenger hunts are great for cognitive and sensory development. A simple indoor nature hunt could involve collecting different leaves around the neighborhood. Toddlers could "go on a walk" with their caregivers and tick off items from a list as they find them - think sticks, interesting rocks or perhaps that unusual looking flower. Preparation time needed: 5 minutes tops!
That's an exciting activity that encourages bonding between caregiver and child - special time indeed!

That's an exciting activity that encourages bonding between caregiver and child - special time indeed!
I love the idea of nature hunts! My kids love being outside and exploring, and it's amazing how a simple activity like that can keep them entertained. We also like playing hide-and-seek with leaves - it's a fun twist on the traditional game where my kids have to find somewhere to hide among the trees! prepares leaf-themed sandwiches for after the game.

I love the idea of nature hunts! My kids love being outside and exploring, and it's amazing how a simple activity like that can keep them entertained. We also like playing hide-and-seek with leaves - it's a fun twist on the traditional game where my kids have to find somewhere to hide among the trees! prepares leaf-themed sandwiches for after the game.
The possibilities are endless, and it encourages an appreciation for the environment too! What other benefits do you see these nature hunts having? I'm sure other mums would love to know!

The possibilities are endless, and it encourages an appreciation for the environment too! What other benefits do you see these nature hunts having? I'm sure other mums would love to know!
Nature hunts foster a connection with the natural world, helping children develop respect and curiosity about the environment. Plus, the act of searching and discovering is excellent for their motor skills and sensory development, not to mention encouraging an active lifestyle! They will also learn about different shapes and colours, especially when you point out the unique features of each found object.

Nature hunts foster a connection with the natural world, helping children develop respect and curiosity about the environment. Plus, the act of searching and discovering is excellent for their motor skills and sensory development, not to mention encouraging an active lifestyle! They will also learn about different shapes and colours, especially when you point out the unique features of each found object.
It's amazing how much learning can take place during what seems like pure playtime! Does anyone have other activities up their sleeve?

Reactions: techsavvy
It's amazing how much learning can take place during what seems like pure playtime! Does anyone have other activities up their sleeve?
There are lots of fun activities for our little ones!

How about painting with ice? All you need is some coloured paddle pops, which toddlers can hold as paint brushes dipped in water. It's a simple and quick activity to prep - just freeze some food colouring or paints in an ice tray the night before, and you're good to go. It encourages creativity and sensory play, and it's so much fun seeing the different shapes and colours they create! You might want to prepare some old newspaper or plastic tablecloth for the mess though!

There are lots of fun activities for our little ones!

How about painting with ice? All you need is some coloured paddle pops, which toddlers can hold as paint brushes dipped in water. It's a simple and quick activity to prep - just freeze some food colouring or paints in an ice tray the night before, and you're good to go. It encourages creativity and sensory play, and it's so much fun seeing the different shapes and colours they create! You might want to prepare some old newspaper or plastic tablecloth for the mess though!
The melty icy paint sounds like a cool activity that wouldn't take too long to prepare. Toddlers will definitely love the surprise factor of colourful ice and the sensory play with water! Messy but fun. ))) Do you have more messy but fun ideas?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu