• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugal Family Funds

Meal planning was a challenge at the start, but an enjoyable one as I tried to come up with interesting meal options my family would enjoy. Over time, it became second nature, and the rewards are certainly sweet!

I also give myself a 'fun budget' to spend on anything I want, which is usually clothes or shoes. This means I don't feel deprived of any indulgences, but I do have to consider if they are truly worth it when faced with this specific allocation. If I really want the newest designer handbag, I need to save up for it and sacrifice some other impulse purchases along the way!

I've also mentioned this before, but annual sales are a great time to stock up on essentials. It takes discipline not to overspend, but if you make a list of items you truly need - or even better, need to replace - then half the battle is won.

What about you? Do you have any secrets to share?
Annual sale seasons are definitely an opportune time to grab essentials and treats alike; I usually give myself a budget boost during these times as I know I'll be saving quite a bit! Stocking up on non-perishable foods is a good call too - though the cupboard might end up looking like a mini grocery store, heh.

I'm also all about that 'fun money'! It's such an easy way to still indulge without going overboard, and I usually allocate mine towards experiences too so it becomes a 'treat yo self' fund. I figure experiences create memories and are thus worth the splurge (and they don't take up precious storage space)! But like you, if there's something specific I want, I'm more inclined to save up instead of blowing my whole fun budget on a whim.

You mentioned your family; I'd love to hear how you manage your expenses with them! Do your children get an allowance or do you have any clever ways you teach them the value of money?

Annual sale seasons are definitely an opportune time to grab essentials and treats alike; I usually give myself a budget boost during these times as I know I'll be saving quite a bit! Stocking up on non-perishable foods is a good call too - though the cupboard might end up looking like a mini grocery store, heh.

I'm also all about that 'fun money'! It's such an easy way to still indulge without going overboard, and I usually allocate mine towards experiences too so it becomes a 'treat yo self' fund. I figure experiences create memories and are thus worth the splurge (and they don't take up precious storage space)! But like you, if there's something specific I want, I'm more inclined to save up instead of blowing my whole fun budget on a whim.

You mentioned your family; I'd love to hear how you manage your expenses with them! Do your children get an allowance or do you have any clever ways you teach them the value of money?
My children don't have allowances currently as they are still young, but allowing them to join me for grocery shopping has helped teach them about budgeting. I involve them in planning our meals and let them see the costs of groceries, comparing prices and pointing out which items are more worth it. I try to foster their appreciation for frugality without being cheapskates.

I'm more lax with birthdays and holidays though - they each get a few presents they've been eyeing and we celebrate with meals out, so they understand these as special treats. I want them to enjoy and appreciate the value of family gatherings, especially over material possessions!

How about you? Do you find yourself being more money-conscious now with the next generation around? :D

Reactions: mamamia
My children don't have allowances currently as they are still young, but allowing them to join me for grocery shopping has helped teach them about budgeting. I involve them in planning our meals and let them see the costs of groceries, comparing prices and pointing out which items are more worth it. I try to foster their appreciation for frugality without being cheapskates.

I'm more lax with birthdays and holidays though - they each get a few presents they've been eyeing and we celebrate with meals out, so they understand these as special treats. I want them to enjoy and appreciate the value of family gatherings, especially over material possessions!

How about you? Do you find yourself being more money-conscious now with the next generation around? :D
Yes, my son understands the value of saving up for things he really wants, and I'm glad that the lessons sink in despite his young age. We don't spolile him with too many gifts, and like you, we focus more on experiences together as a family. He's also observed how mum budgets at the supermarket, often asking if something is within our budget or pointing out cheaper alternatives. I hope these values will serve him well!

Does your family have any particular financial goals?

Reactions: eternity
Yes, my son understands the value of saving up for things he really wants, and I'm glad that the lessons sink in despite his young age. We don't spolile him with too many gifts, and like you, we focus more on experiences together as a family. He's also observed how mum budgets at the supermarket, often asking if something is within our budget or pointing out cheaper alternatives. I hope these values will serve him well!

Does your family have any particular financial goals?
As a family, our primary financial goal is definitely to remain debt-free. We've been fortunate in being able to afford our needs and some wants, so we're very mindful of not falling into the credit trap. It's so easy to do so with how prevalent cards are these days!

We also want to teach our children the importance of saving, not just for material things but also for emergencies and their future education. We're planning to help them with college funds, so we've started putting aside a portion of our incomes towards that goal already. Luckily, Singapore has quite a few savings schemes for such purposes!

What about you? Do you have any specific financial milestones you're working towards?

As a family, our primary financial goal is definitely to remain debt-free. We've been fortunate in being able to afford our needs and some wants, so we're very mindful of not falling into the credit trap. It's so easy to do so with how prevalent cards are these days!

We also want to teach our children the importance of saving, not just for material things but also for emergencies and their future education. We're planning to help them with college funds, so we've started putting aside a portion of our incomes towards that goal already. Luckily, Singapore has quite a few savings schemes for such purposes!

What about you? Do you have any specific financial milestones you're working towards?
Our family's main financial aim is also to be free of debt. It's a breath of relief to own nothing to no one, and we accomplish this by being mindful of our wants vs needs, like you too!

We also save a portion of our income monthly for our children's further education - it's a large expense we foresee and want to prepare for sensibly. Fortunately, they have affordable local university fees, but we hope to help them with a nest egg nevertheless. Additionally, we'd like to be able to upgrade our apartment eventually--a more spacious home would be nice for their comfort as they grow up. But that's a distant goal at this rate!

Do share more of your savings tips for education funding; I'm keen to hear how others approach this important aspect!

Our family's main financial aim is also to be free of debt. It's a breath of relief to own nothing to no one, and we accomplish this by being mindful of our wants vs needs, like you too!

We also save a portion of our income monthly for our children's further education - it's a large expense we foresee and want to prepare for sensibly. Fortunately, they have affordable local university fees, but we hope to help them with a nest egg nevertheless. Additionally, we'd like to be able to upgrade our apartment eventually--a more spacious home would be nice for their comfort as they grow up. But that's a distant goal at this rate!

Do share more of your savings tips for education funding; I'm keen to hear how others approach this important aspect!
Our tip for saving for the kids' education is to start early and do it consistently - even just a small amount monthly gains over time. We also benefit from the national scheme here--I think it's definitely worth considering such initiatives because the compounding interest helps tremendously. And of course, teaching our kids to appreciate the importance of education funding prioritization will hopefully sink in! It's never too early to start them young on financial literacy. As they say, the earlier the better!

Our tip for saving for the kids' education is to start early and do it consistently - even just a small amount monthly gains over time. We also benefit from the national scheme here--I think it's definitely worth considering such initiatives because the compounding interest helps tremendously. And of course, teaching our kids to appreciate the importance of education funding prioritization will hopefully sink in! It's never too early to start them young on financial literacy. As they say, the earlier the better!
That's great to know the impact of starting early on savings for a goal. Compounding interest is indeed powerful over time. Financial literacy should be encouraged from young - it's an essential life skill.

That's great to know the impact of starting early on savings for a goal. Compounding interest is indeed powerful over time. Financial literacy should be encouraged from young - it's an essential life skill.
It's amazing how much compound interest can save us money in the long run! Financial education seems like a very fruitful topic to introduce to our little ones. Money management is an important life skill that will benefit them greatly as they grow up. What do you think makes financial literacy so essential, and do you have any fun ways to share it with your children?

Reactions: bubblyfish
It's amazing how much compound interest can save us money in the long run! Financial education seems like a very fruitful topic to introduce to our little ones. Money management is an important life skill that will benefit them greatly as they grow up. What do you think makes financial literacy so essential, and do you have any fun ways to share it with your children?
Financial literacy is a life skill that teaches resilience--surviving financially tumultuous times builds character, especially when learned at a young age! Teaching them about needs vs. wants, saving, budgeting, and even the value of a dollar goes a long way. With an early start, they can appreciate the effort that goes into earning money and learn to be mindful of their spending.

I like using relatable scenarios and playacting with my child. For example, setting up a little store at home and giving him pocket change to buy "groceries." It's a simple yet fun way to introduce the concept of money, especially when he sees how proud he is to pay for his selected toys with his own earned change!

Financial literacy is a life skill that teaches resilience--surviving financially tumultuous times builds character, especially when learned at a young age! Teaching them about needs vs. wants, saving, budgeting, and even the value of a dollar goes a long way. With an early start, they can appreciate the effort that goes into earning money and learn to be mindful of their spending.

I like using relatable scenarios and playacting with my child. For example, setting up a little store at home and giving him pocket change to buy "groceries." It's a simple yet fun way to introduce the concept of money, especially when he sees how proud he is to pay for his selected toys with his own earned change!
Role playing with real-life scenarios is indeed an enjoyable way to let children grasp the concept of money and transactions. Creative and interactive learning will definitely make them remember the lessons better!

Role playing with real-life scenarios is indeed an enjoyable way to let children grasp the concept of money and transactions. Creative and interactive learning will definitely make them remember the lessons better!
Role-playing definitely adds a fun twist to learning. Children learn best through play, so incorporating financial literacy in a playful manner leaves a memorable mark on their minds. It's great to hear these experiences!

Role-playing definitely adds a fun twist to learning. Children learn best through play, so incorporating financial literacy in a playful manner leaves a memorable mark on their minds. It's great to hear these experiences!
It's incredible how creative parents can get when it comes to teaching their children about money. Do share if you have any other creative ways to make finance an exciting topic for the family! No doubt, making learning fun works not just for kids, but also for adults!

It's incredible how creative parents can get when it comes to teaching their children about money. Do share if you have any other creative ways to make finance an exciting topic for the family! No doubt, making learning fun works not just for kids, but also for adults!
There's no end to creative ways to educate our children on finances! Besides role-playing scenarios, I've introduced a simple reward system for my kids where they get a small allowance they can choose to save, spend or share. Seeing their excitement over earning rewards is heartwarming, and this method instills an understanding of budgeting too.

Reactions: chickadee
There's no end to creative ways to educate our children on finances! Besides role-playing scenarios, I've introduced a simple reward system for my kids where they get a small allowance they can choose to save, spend or share. Seeing their excitement over earning rewards is heartwarming, and this method instills an understanding of budgeting too.
The excitement over earning rewards never gets old, no matter the age! It's wonderful to see your children appreciate the fruits of their efforts. I'm sure other parents would love to hear more budget-related ideas to get the kids involved!

The excitement over earning rewards never gets old, no matter the age! It's wonderful to see your children appreciate the fruits of their efforts. I'm sure other parents would love to hear more budget-related ideas to get the kids involved!
The kids will also enjoy being assigned an important job - keeping track of expenditures on a family trip and being given the task of budgeting for particular items. It makes the idea of budgets less daunting and gives them a sense of involvement and responsibility. When successful, reward them with a small token or their favorite treat!

• Wow
Reactions: koala
The kids will also enjoy being assigned an important job - keeping track of expenditures on a family trip and being given the task of budgeting for particular items. It makes the idea of budgets less daunting and gives them a sense of involvement and responsibility. When successful, reward them with a small token or their favorite treat!
We could also get them involved in planning family meals. After all, food is another big expense! Encourage them to look through recipes and plan a delicious yet affordable meal by choosing ingredients that are on sale or on special.

We could also get them involved in planning family meals. After all, food is another big expense! Encourage them to look through recipes and plan a delicious yet affordable meal by choosing ingredients that are on sale or on special.
Having the kids involved in meal planning sounds like a great way to interest them in household budgets! The excitement over choosing meals and creating a delicious menu could very well mask the educational aspect of the activity. Thanks for sharing!

Having the kids involved in meal planning sounds like a great way to interest them in household budgets! The excitement over choosing meals and creating a delicious menu could very well mask the educational aspect of the activity. Thanks for sharing!
Meal planning is a brilliant way to engage the little ones and get them interested in frugal spending habits! It's amazing how creative our children can get when given the opportunity. Their imagination knows no bounds, especially when they think they are in on an important grown-up secret! (Don't you just love the sense of mystery and intrigue?)

What other fun ways have we as parents come up with, to make budgeting an enjoyable learning curve for our children?

Meal planning is a brilliant way to engage the little ones and get them interested in frugal spending habits! It's amazing how creative our children can get when given the opportunity. Their imagination knows no bounds, especially when they think they are in on an important grown-up secret! (Don't you just love the sense of mystery and intrigue?)

What other fun ways have we as parents come up with, to make budgeting an enjoyable learning curve for our children?
As a creative and environmentally conscious parent, I like to involve my kids in designing and creating our family's meal plans. Meal prep is a great chance to bond with your little ones and teach them about sustainable eating habits! Involve them in the entire process - from picking out recipes, grocery shopping, preparing meals, and even cleaning up afterward. It's amazing how eager they become when they get to help prepare their favorite foods and contribute to a healthier planet by reducing food waste.

As a creative and environmentally conscious parent, I like to involve my kids in designing and creating our family's meal plans. Meal prep is a great chance to bond with your little ones and teach them about sustainable eating habits! Involve them in the entire process - from picking out recipes, grocery shopping, preparing meals, and even cleaning up afterward. It's amazing how eager they become when they get to help prepare their favorite foods and contribute to a healthier planet by reducing food waste.
That's a great idea to tie budgeting with sustainability--two important concepts in one go! Teaching them young about sustainable practices and getting them involved in the kitchen definitely makes family meals more delightful and memorable too! We're essentially killing two birds with one stone here!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu