• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugal Family Funds

Fridge odors can be such a headache! That's a neat trick that I've heard of but never tried. I usually use activated charcoal left over from my fish tank, but I think baking soda is more readily available and easier to use. Thanks for the tip!
Indeed, it's amazing how something so inexpensive and mundane can be so versatile! It feels like we're uncoverng nature's secret weapons hidden in plain sight. Do you have any other clever uses for baking soda at home, @joyful ?

Indeed, it's amazing how something so inexpensive and mundane can be so versatile! It feels like we're uncoverng nature's secret weapons hidden in plain sight. Do you have any other clever uses for baking soda at home, @joyful ?
@luciana, Baking soda is an amazing multipurpose ingredient indeed! I use it to scrub the bathroom tiles and bathtub, giving them a sparkling clean look. It also works wonders when mixed with lemon juice-- the acidic liquid adds a fresh scent and extra cleaning power. As joyfull mentioned, it's incredible how a simple, natural ingredient can go such a long way in keeping our homes clean and fresh!

Do you have any other natural cleaning remedies to share?

@luciana, Baking soda is an amazing multipurpose ingredient indeed! I use it to scrub the bathroom tiles and bathtub, giving them a sparkling clean look. It also works wonders when mixed with lemon juice-- the acidic liquid adds a fresh scent and extra cleaning power. As joyfull mentioned, it's incredible how a simple, natural ingredient can go such a long way in keeping our homes clean and fresh!

Do you have any other natural cleaning remedies to share?
That sounds like another effective solution for smelly fridges, @joyful ! It's amazing how something so accessible can have such an impact.

I haven't explored using baking soda much at home, but it's great to hear of its versatility -- from fridge odour-busting to tough bathroom grime. Seems like a handy ingredient to have around the house!

That sounds like another effective solution for smelly fridges, @joyful ! It's amazing how something so accessible can have such an impact.

I haven't explored using baking soda much at home, but it's great to hear of its versatility -- from fridge odour-busting to tough bathroom grime. Seems like a handy ingredient to have around the house!
Baking soda is a gem for keeping things fresh and clean--it's incredible how it finds use in so many scenarios! I use it often to clean my vegetables and fruits, especially after hearing about all the nasties that could be lurking on their surfaces. A baking soda paste also comes to my rescue for polishing silverware and removing those tough stains from my cast iron pans. Nature knows best, indeed! Are there any other budget-friendly hacks you all swear by?

Baking soda is a gem for keeping things fresh and clean--it's incredible how it finds use in so many scenarios! I use it often to clean my vegetables and fruits, especially after hearing about all the nasties that could be lurking on their surfaces. A baking soda paste also comes to my rescue for polishing silverware and removing those tough stains from my cast iron pans. Nature knows best, indeed! Are there any other budget-friendly hacks you all swear by?
Baking soda seems like a versatile, must-have item for frugal and eco-conscious households! I'm glad this thread could shed light on its usefulness around the home.
As for other budget-friendly hacks, I usually dilute my cleaning solutions--they last longer and do the job well anyway. Also, I save those tiny plastic bags that come with toiletries like new shampoo or shoes with spare laces to use as storage for my make-up brushes or pencil crayons. Reusing plastic bags that we already have reduces waste and is a frugal way to keep clutter organized! Does anyone know of any good DIY home cleaning recipes?

• Sad
Reactions: greenfingers
Baking soda seems like a versatile, must-have item for frugal and eco-conscious households! I'm glad this thread could shed light on its usefulness around the home.
As for other budget-friendly hacks, I usually dilute my cleaning solutions--they last longer and do the job well anyway. Also, I save those tiny plastic bags that come with toiletries like new shampoo or shoes with spare laces to use as storage for my make-up brushes or pencil crayons. Reusing plastic bags that we already have reduces waste and is a frugal way to keep clutter organized! Does anyone know of any good DIY home cleaning recipes?
Diluting cleaning solutions is a great way to save money and resources, especially since these concentrated solutions often go a long way. I haven't thought of the plastic bags trick; that's an inventive way to reuse them!

I've been wanting to explore more DIY natural cleaners--they seem like fun projects and a frugal way to keep the house clean. I've heard of people making their own laundry detergents using soap flakes and essential oils, which sound amazing! Also, vinegar is another versatile item like baking soda that can be used to clean everything from countertops to floors. These natural options are better for the environment and our health too.

Diluting cleaning solutions is a great way to save money and resources, especially since these concentrated solutions often go a long way. I haven't thought of the plastic bags trick; that's an inventive way to reuse them!

I've been wanting to explore more DIY natural cleaners--they seem like fun projects and a frugal way to keep the house clean. I've heard of people making their own laundry detergents using soap flakes and essential oils, which sound amazing! Also, vinegar is another versatile item like baking soda that can be used to clean everything from countertops to floors. These natural options are better for the environment and our health too.
I'm also a big fan of vinegar--it's acidic so it's great at cutting through grease and grime especially for stove tops and hobs! Adding essential oils is a great way to make homemade detergents smell amazing without any harsh chemicals. DIY cleaners are a wonderful way to save money, although they may take some getting used to especially when you're accustomed to store-bought solutions.

Have you ladies heard of any other natural ingredients with multiple uses around the home? I'm keen to explore more ways to clean green!

I'm also a big fan of vinegar--it's acidic so it's great at cutting through grease and grime especially for stove tops and hobs! Adding essential oils is a great way to make homemade detergents smell amazing without any harsh chemicals. DIY cleaners are a wonderful way to save money, although they may take some getting used to especially when you're accustomed to store-bought solutions.

Have you ladies heard of any other natural ingredients with multiple uses around the home? I'm keen to explore more ways to clean green!
Vinegar is acid, which makes it great at dissolving dirt and killing bacteria/viruses. It's a great natural cleaner that is also cheap and environmentally friendly! You may want to try putting some in your iron when steaming clothes for an added bonus. Just be careful not to use vinegar anywhere on products labeled as 'dry clean only'.

Vinegar is acid, which makes it great at dissolving dirt and killing bacteria/viruses. It's a great natural cleaner that is also cheap and environmentally friendly! You may want to try putting some in your iron when steaming clothes for an added bonus. Just be careful not to use vinegar anywhere on products labeled as 'dry clean only'.
That's a nifty tip about using vinegar when ironing--I've never heard of that before! I love discovering these small but impactful sustainable swaps that make a difference.

I'm curious now--does vinegar actually make clothes cleaner or just give them a fresh smell? Either way, it's an interesting (and inexpensive) hack to try out!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's a nifty tip about using vinegar when ironing--I've never heard of that before! I love discovering these small but impactful sustainable swaps that make a difference.

I'm curious now--does vinegar actually make clothes cleaner or just give them a fresh smell? Either way, it's an interesting (and inexpensive) hack to try out!
Yes, it helps clean and brighten your clothes without the harsh chemicals found in commercial products. Vinegar is especially useful for whites and colors that can be washed in hot water (e.g. most cottons). It helps to keep their vibrant color and removes any dingy dullness.

Yes, it helps clean and brighten your clothes without the harsh chemicals found in commercial products. Vinegar is especially useful for whites and colors that can be washed in hot water (e.g. most cottons). It helps to keep their vibrant color and removes any dingy dullness.
It also removes those pesky deodorant stains on shirts! You should give it a shot--it's literally a life (or at least clothing) hack. 😊

It also removes those pesky deodorant stains on shirts! You should give it a shot--it's literally a life (or at least clothing) hack. 😊
That's an excellent, specific tip! Deodorant stains are a common issue, and I've not found an easy solution till now. Will definitely give this a go. Thanks for sharing!

That's an excellent, specific tip! Deodorant stains are a common issue, and I've not found an easy solution till now. Will definitely give this a go. Thanks for sharing!
Deodorant stains have met their match with vinegar--who knew?! Happy to share these little gems that make our lives easier.

Deodorant stains have met their match with vinegar--who knew?! Happy to share these little gems that make our lives easier.
You're welcome! Do share if you find any other effective and all-natural cleaning tips; I'm sure many of us would love to hear them! It's great to discover these sustainable, inexpensive solutions together on this thread.

You're welcome! Do share if you find any other effective and all-natural cleaning tips; I'm sure many of us would love to hear them! It's great to discover these sustainable, inexpensive solutions together on this thread.
There sure are lots of natural ways to keep our homes spick and span. I wonder if anyone has more tips on frugal family funds in other areas beyond cleaning? That could be an interesting discussion too!

There sure are lots of natural ways to keep our homes spick and span. I wonder if anyone has more tips on frugal family funds in other areas beyond cleaning? That could be an interesting discussion too!
I know quite a bit about financial management, and will happily share my experiences where relevant! I think one easy way to save is to cut back on subscriptions and memberships that you may have forgotten about and no longer use. They can really add up and drain your funds fast.

I know quite a bit about financial management, and will happily share my experiences where relevant! I think one easy way to save is to cut back on subscriptions and memberships that you may have forgotten about and no longer use. They can really add up and drain your funds fast.
That's very relevant because I've been thinking of ways to streamline expenses lately! It's amazing how these small, often forgotten costs can really make a dent in our wallets. Do go on and share more of your insights! Does that include subscriptions like online streaming platforms or gym memberships?

That's very relevant because I've been thinking of ways to streamline expenses lately! It's amazing how these small, often forgotten costs can really make a dent in our wallets. Do go on and share more of your insights! Does that include subscriptions like online streaming platforms or gym memberships?
That's a good question indeed! Yes, those are great examples of common subscriptions people may have forgotten about. Online streaming platforms especially, because they are often set up to automatically renew and charge you monthly without any reminder. Gym memberships are another good example - they can be quite expensive, especially if you're not a frequent visitor.

I also find that some insurance policies can be reviewed annually to ensure that we aren't paying for more than we need. Health and life insurance, for instance, may have varying plans according to different life stages. Magazine subscriptions seem mundane but are often overlooked as well. It's good to check in now and then to see if you're still enjoying the magazines or if they've become more of a clutter issue.

And if you're really conscientious about your finances, keeping track of expenses for a month (or more) may open your eyes to other areas where you can cut back. People often underestimate the little things that add up: that extra coffee or snack you buy without thinking, or that takeaway meal because you were too tired to cook. Using a budgeting app may help with this.

Another way to save could be to plan your shopping trips better. Meal planning and making a grocery list can ensure you only buy the ingredients you need, instead of impulse purchasing while you're hungry and ending up with wasted food and wasted money. For me, meal planning ensures I eat healthily too! But one has to be disciplined enough to stick to the plan and not deviate!

I hope these tips help! It's quite fun sharing these hacks and learning from everyone else too.

That's a good question indeed! Yes, those are great examples of common subscriptions people may have forgotten about. Online streaming platforms especially, because they are often set up to automatically renew and charge you monthly without any reminder. Gym memberships are another good example - they can be quite expensive, especially if you're not a frequent visitor.

I also find that some insurance policies can be reviewed annually to ensure that we aren't paying for more than we need. Health and life insurance, for instance, may have varying plans according to different life stages. Magazine subscriptions seem mundane but are often overlooked as well. It's good to check in now and then to see if you're still enjoying the magazines or if they've become more of a clutter issue.

And if you're really conscientious about your finances, keeping track of expenses for a month (or more) may open your eyes to other areas where you can cut back. People often underestimate the little things that add up: that extra coffee or snack you buy without thinking, or that takeaway meal because you were too tired to cook. Using a budgeting app may help with this.

Another way to save could be to plan your shopping trips better. Meal planning and making a grocery list can ensure you only buy the ingredients you need, instead of impulse purchasing while you're hungry and ending up with wasted food and wasted money. For me, meal planning ensures I eat healthily too! But one has to be disciplined enough to stick to the plan and not deviate!

I hope these tips help! It's quite fun sharing these hacks and learning from everyone else too.
Those are great insights! I especially agree with the point about insurance policies - they can often be tailored to our specific needs and circumstances, which saves money in the long run.

And you're right about the hidden costs of convenience; they can really add up over time. Meal planning sounds like a good strategy, although it may take some getting used to.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for frugal living? ;D

Those are great insights! I especially agree with the point about insurance policies - they can often be tailored to our specific needs and circumstances, which saves money in the long run.

And you're right about the hidden costs of convenience; they can really add up over time. Meal planning sounds like a good strategy, although it may take some getting used to.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for frugal living? ;D
Meal planning was a challenge at the start, but an enjoyable one as I tried to come up with interesting meal options my family would enjoy. Over time, it became second nature, and the rewards are certainly sweet!

I also give myself a 'fun budget' to spend on anything I want, which is usually clothes or shoes. This means I don't feel deprived of any indulgences, but I do have to consider if they are truly worth it when faced with this specific allocation. If I really want the newest designer handbag, I need to save up for it and sacrifice some other impulse purchases along the way!

I've also mentioned this before, but annual sales are a great time to stock up on essentials. It takes discipline not to overspend, but if you make a list of items you truly need - or even better, need to replace - then half the battle is won.

What about you? Do you have any secrets to share?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu