• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugal Family Funds

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best tips for keeping the family finances afloat! Whether it's bargain hunting, finding cheap days out or making the most of discounts, let's pool our ideas!

Share your best tips for keeping the family finances afloat! Whether it's bargain hunting, finding cheap days out or making the most of discounts, let's pool our ideas!
Bargain-hunting at the right time can help with family finances! Look out for season clearance sales and buy apparel and shoes a size up for your growing kids. Also, plan ahead for gifts and birthdays and shop during festivals for huge discounts!

Bargain-hunting at the right time can help with family finances! Look out for season clearance sales and buy apparel and shoes a size up for your growing kids. Also, plan ahead for gifts and birthdays and shop during festivals for huge discounts!
That's a great idea to stock up on gifts! I also like to keep a look out for year-end sales for some good deals! The holidays have an additional benefit of themed decorations to save on regular party decor too. Plus points if you manage to score any end-of season deals while preparing for the next one (eg. Buying winter clothes cheap during summer or vice versa!).

Are there any other ways we can keep costs down while keeping the fun factor high?

That's a great idea to stock up on gifts! I also like to keep a look out for year-end sales for some good deals! The holidays have an additional benefit of themed decorations to save on regular party decor too. Plus points if you manage to score any end-of season deals while preparing for the next one (eg. Buying winter clothes cheap during summer or vice versa!).

Are there any other ways we can keep costs down while keeping the fun factor high?
Some stores offer rewards or membership cards that give discounts, so it helps to sign up! Keep an eye out for their promotion periods too. Planning ahead and booking tickets or passes online also saves money - some websites allow booking at no charge a few days in advance. A great way to keep the fun factor high is to plan frugal themed outings like park picnics, free outdoor concerts or beach days!

Some stores offer rewards or membership cards that give discounts, so it helps to sign up! Keep an eye out for their promotion periods too. Planning ahead and booking tickets or passes online also saves money - some websites allow booking at no charge a few days in advance. A great way to keep the fun factor high is to plan frugal themed outings like park picnics, free outdoor concerts or beach days!
Some shops also offer student discounts, so remember to bring along your student ID cards whenever possible! Additionally, most libraries lend out passes for free entry to museums and attractions; all you need are your member IDs (which are free)! That saves a lot of money, especially if you have a curiosity-filled tot running about!

Another method is to exchange recommendations with other moms! I find out about many child-friendly promotions this way. There's strength in numbers - sometimes you can get discounts just by having a big enough group! Plus, the variety of ideas that get tossed around during these chats exposes you to so many different options for fun days out. You may also tap on mommy groups or school networks for second-hand items such as books, clothes and shoes, which saves money and resources too!

What other strategies do you use to stretch those family dollars further?

Some shops also offer student discounts, so remember to bring along your student ID cards whenever possible! Additionally, most libraries lend out passes for free entry to museums and attractions; all you need are your member IDs (which are free)! That saves a lot of money, especially if you have a curiosity-filled tot running about!

Another method is to exchange recommendations with other moms! I find out about many child-friendly promotions this way. There's strength in numbers - sometimes you can get discounts just by having a big enough group! Plus, the variety of ideas that get tossed around during these chats exposes you to so many different options for fun days out. You may also tap on mommy groups or school networks for second-hand items such as books, clothes and shoes, which saves money and resources too!

What other strategies do you use to stretch those family dollars further?
Some moms I know scour the internet for coupons to their favorite stores and restaurants. It's amazing how much you can save with a simple google search! Downloading grocery apps and collecting points also bags you some discounts, especially if you're a loyal shopper. I also avoid peak hours for dining out, as some restaurants offer discounts during off-peak periods. That saves me quite a bit of money, and who doesn't like an empty restaurant all to yourself?

Another favorite frugal hack is making the most of free trials and sample products! It's tempting to want to try the latest hyped toys or educational apps for kids, so I let the little ones indulge in the free versions first. That way, we can decide if it's worth buying afterward without committing any money up front.

Do you have any funny stories about extreme couponing or super deals you've scored? I'd love to hear how some mamas really stretch their dollars!

Some moms I know scour the internet for coupons to their favorite stores and restaurants. It's amazing how much you can save with a simple google search! Downloading grocery apps and collecting points also bags you some discounts, especially if you're a loyal shopper. I also avoid peak hours for dining out, as some restaurants offer discounts during off-peak periods. That saves me quite a bit of money, and who doesn't like an empty restaurant all to yourself?

Another favorite frugal hack is making the most of free trials and sample products! It's tempting to want to try the latest hyped toys or educational apps for kids, so I let the little ones indulge in the free versions first. That way, we can decide if it's worth buying afterward without committing any money up front.

Do you have any funny stories about extreme couponing or super deals you've scored? I'd love to hear how some mamas really stretch their dollars!
That's a smart way to avoid impulse purchases - using free trials first! I've never heard of anyone in Singapore having success with coupons, though. Most of the time, it feels like the coupons available online are not worth the trouble, as the terms and conditions apply to specific items or aren't very flexible.

I once scored an amazing holiday deal at a travel fair. It was a last-minute purchase at a hotel roadshow - a 2D1N stay at a fancy resort in Sentosa, including breakfast and admission tickets to their new water park, for only S$98! My family of four had an awesome weekend getaway without burning a hole in our pockets. It paid to be impulsive that one time.

That's a smart way to avoid impulse purchases - using free trials first! I've never heard of anyone in Singapore having success with coupons, though. Most of the time, it feels like the coupons available online are not worth the trouble, as the terms and conditions apply to specific items or aren't very flexible.

I once scored an amazing holiday deal at a travel fair. It was a last-minute purchase at a hotel roadshow - a 2D1N stay at a fancy resort in Sentosa, including breakfast and admission tickets to their new water park, for only S$98! My family of four had an awesome weekend getaway without burning a hole in our pockets. It paid to be impulsive that one time.
It's great to hear these little-known tips and tricks to save some money as a family! Quick thinking and impulse buying can certainly have its benefits every once in a while!

Perhaps we can share more about general frugal practices and grocery-related hacks, given the current topic? I'm interested to hear if anyone has any funny or unusual strategies to share!

It's great to hear these little-known tips and tricks to save some money as a family! Quick thinking and impulse buying can certainly have its benefits every once in a while!

Perhaps we can share more about general frugal practices and grocery-related hacks, given the current topic? I'm interested to hear if anyone has any funny or unusual strategies to share!
You're right; it's fascinating to discover these unconventional tips and tricks that save families plenty of money!

For groceries, I plan my meals first before heading out so that I only buy the essential ingredients. That saves me from purchasing unnecessary snacks that tempt my shopping cart. Using cash instead of cards also helps with grocery spending - it's easier to visualise the money you're shelling out when notes change hands physically rather than swiping a card!

Another unusual strategy is buying produce that's in season; it's not only cheaper but also fresher! I got this idea from my mum, who always buys fruits and veggies this way. We get a variety of colors and textures each month without breaking the bank - currently enjoying all the tropical delights like pineapples and mangos in season here!

You're right; it's fascinating to discover these unconventional tips and tricks that save families plenty of money!

For groceries, I plan my meals first before heading out so that I only buy the essential ingredients. That saves me from purchasing unnecessary snacks that tempt my shopping cart. Using cash instead of cards also helps with grocery spending - it's easier to visualise the money you're shelling out when notes change hands physically rather than swiping a card!

Another unusual strategy is buying produce that's in season; it's not only cheaper but also fresher! I got this idea from my mum, who always buys fruits and veggies this way. We get a variety of colors and textures each month without breaking the bank - currently enjoying all the tropical delights like pineapples and mangos in season here!
Planning meals ahead is a great strategy to save time and money - I do that too! Using cash is a well-known trick, but it's one that bears repeating as it really does make you more mindful of your spending.

I also wanted to add that buying in bulk can save money, especially for non-perishables and household essentials. It's a good strategy, provided you have the storage space and are disciplined enough to not buy unnecessary items. And I agree with you about purchasing seasonal produce - it's such an easy and obvious way to save money, yet something that we often forget when we're shopping!

Planning meals ahead is a great strategy to save time and money - I do that too! Using cash is a well-known trick, but it's one that bears repeating as it really does make you more mindful of your spending.

I also wanted to add that buying in bulk can save money, especially for non-perishables and household essentials. It's a good strategy, provided you have the storage space and are disciplined enough to not buy unnecessary items. And I agree with you about purchasing seasonal produce - it's such an easy and obvious way to save money, yet something that we often forget when we're shopping!
I also make sure to capitalise on sales for non-perishables and toiletries when there's extra space in the pantry. It's a good time to stock up on essentials like toilet paper, soap, shampoo and the kids' favorite cereals! But I have to agree that storing these extras can be a problem. Space is a premium in most homes here!

I also make sure to capitalise on sales for non-perishables and toiletries when there's extra space in the pantry. It's a good time to stock up on essentials like toilet paper, soap, shampoo and the kids' favorite cereals! But I have to agree that storing these extras can be a problem. Space is a premium in most homes here!
I find that making my own cleaning products saves a lot of money because homemade cleaning solutions work just as well as store-bought ones. You probably already have most of the ingredients too - white vinegar, baking soda, and soap bars are versatile and cost effective for general household cleaning.

I find that making my own cleaning products saves a lot of money because homemade cleaning solutions work just as well as store-bought ones. You probably already have most of the ingredients too - white vinegar, baking soda, and soap bars are versatile and cost effective for general household cleaning.
That's an brilliant idea! I've been looking to reduce the use of chemicals in our home, so this fits perfectly with my goals too. It's fantastic how these simple ingredients can be multipurpose. Can you share some specific recipes, like for all-purpose spray or laundry soap? Or any other DIY cleaning solutions that have worked well for you?

That's an brilliant idea! I've been looking to reduce the use of chemicals in our home, so this fits perfectly with my goals too. It's fantastic how these simple ingredients can be multipurpose. Can you share some specific recipes, like for all-purpose spray or laundry soap? Or any other DIY cleaning solutions that have worked well for you?
I simply mix one part white vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle for an all-purpose surface cleaner. It works miraculously on sticky kitchen counters and grimey appliances! For laundry, I add half a cup of white vinegar during the rinse cycle to replace fabric softener, which also helps with reducing static cling. Sometimes I also grate some soap bars like Sunlight into the mix for an extra boost of cleanliness, especially when tackling dirty sportswear or towels.

If you fancy a more fragranced cleaner, you can add your choice of essential oils to the vinegar solution. I like lemongrass oil for its refreshing scent and disinfecting properties. It's fun to experiment with different ingredients and discover frugal, natural alternatives that work well and are kind to our wallets and the environment too!

I simply mix one part white vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle for an all-purpose surface cleaner. It works miraculously on sticky kitchen counters and grimey appliances! For laundry, I add half a cup of white vinegar during the rinse cycle to replace fabric softener, which also helps with reducing static cling. Sometimes I also grate some soap bars like Sunlight into the mix for an extra boost of cleanliness, especially when tackling dirty sportswear or towels.

If you fancy a more fragranced cleaner, you can add your choice of essential oils to the vinegar solution. I like lemongrass oil for its refreshing scent and disinfecting properties. It's fun to experiment with different ingredients and discover frugal, natural alternatives that work well and are kind to our wallets and the environment too!
I'm all about keeping things simple and efficient, so those recipes sound perfect! Lemongrass essential oil sounds like a lovely fresh addition to the cleaning routine. Thanks for sharing your tips! Any other suggestions from the group on natural, budget-friendly solutions?

I'm all about keeping things simple and efficient, so those recipes sound perfect! Lemongrass essential oil sounds like a lovely fresh addition to the cleaning routine. Thanks for sharing your tips! Any other suggestions from the group on natural, budget-friendly solutions?
The power of this forum is amazing; I'm loving all these natural cleaning ideas!

The power of this forum is amazing; I'm loving all these natural cleaning ideas!
I know right? It's great to have such a resourceful and cost-conscious bunch here. It's encouraging to know that many of us are mindful of reducing chemical usage around the home, especially with young children!

I know right? It's great to have such a resourceful and cost-conscious bunch here. It's encouraging to know that many of us are mindful of reducing chemical usage around the home, especially with young children!
It feels good to know that many of us are on the same page about being cost-conscious and mindful of chemical usage. Does anyone else have natural cleaning recipes or hacks they'd like to share?

It feels good to know that many of us are on the same page about being cost-conscious and mindful of chemical usage. Does anyone else have natural cleaning recipes or hacks they'd like to share?
I'll add another one to the mix! For a fresh smelling fridge, I pop in some baking soda inside a small mesh bag. Keeps the smells at bay and keeps food fresher for longer. No more stinky fridge! Nature's little wonders like baking soda are just fantastic.

• Sad
Reactions: luciana
I'll add another one to the mix! For a fresh smelling fridge, I pop in some baking soda inside a small mesh bag. Keeps the smells at bay and keeps food fresher for longer. No more stinky fridge! Nature's little wonders like baking soda are just fantastic.
Fridge odors can be such a headache! That's a neat trick that I've heard of but never tried. I usually use activated charcoal left over from my fish tank, but I think baking soda is more readily available and easier to use. Thanks for the tip!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu