• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

I guess there's no perfect system that works for everyone, and it's intriguing how various simple methods help different people stay on track with their finances in unique ways.
Absolutely! I think most of us just want to understand where our money goes - especially those sneaky or impulsive purchases that we later regret!

I guess there's no perfect system that works for everyone, and it's intriguing how various simple methods help different people stay on track with their finances in unique ways.
Absolutely! It's interesting how a simple approach can be so personalized yet effective for many. The variety in our styles keeps things interesting and proves that there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Does anyone else have an unconventional method they use to keep their finances afloat? Something quirky or unexpected perhaps?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! It's interesting how a simple approach can be so personalized yet effective for many. The variety in our styles keeps things interesting and proves that there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Does anyone else have an unconventional method they use to keep their finances afloat? Something quirky or unexpected perhaps?
There are many ways to manage one's finances, and it is intriguing to learn how people can be so creative! I'll share a simple yet effective strategy I picked up from my grandmother years ago. Call it old-fashioned, but it has helped me keep track of my expenses efficiently ever since I started handling my finances as a teen.

Her trick is deceptively straightforward: use different colored folders or envelopes for various expenses. Each colored envelope serves a specific category like groceries, eating out, bills, etc. When you pay for something, simply drop the receipt into its corresponding envelope. It's a visual and physical way of setting budget boundaries and an efficient manual system that helps you keep track of your spending by simply glancing at the amount of money left in each envelope. She calls it her 'rainbow finances.' 🤣 It's surprising how this simple method has taught me good money sense from a young age!

Absolutely! I think most of us just want to understand where our money goes - especially those sneaky or impulsive purchases that we later regret!
Some months are tighter than others; Christmas and the holiday seasons can stretch our budgets with all the extra expenses. It's a good idea to plan ahead for those.

There's a comfort in knowing that some parents and elders have been managing their finances with simple, effective methods that have been around for decades. There's a wisdom to it that we shouldn't underestimate! Does anyone else have traditional wisdom to share, or a fresh take on old ideas?
Grandma definitely knew what she was doing with her envelope budget system, and it's nice to see how some of the older generation plan their finances. They had frugal living down to an art! I wonder if anyone has adapted these traditional methods in an innovative way?

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
There's a comfort in knowing that some parents and elders have been managing their finances with simple, effective methods that have been around for decades. There's a wisdom to it that we shouldn't underestimate! Does anyone else have traditional wisdom to share, or a fresh take on old ideas?
You're right; it's the little tricks passed down through the generations that often stay with us because they've worked for so many over so long. I don't have any ancient wisdom to share, but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone has given a creative, modern-day spin on these classic financial management techniques!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu