• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

keeping things analogue with physical money and receipts is a sure way of forcing financial awareness! It's a good, tangible method that suits those who prefer a hands-on, no-frills approach to money management.
I find that using an actual notebook - or even the notes app on my phone - to jot down all expenses helps me visualise our spending patterns over time. There's a satisfaction in seeing patterns and trends emerge physically before my eyes. It becomes easier to scrutinize and make sense of the data when I can draw tables and charts by hand, too! But it's definitely more work than digital alternatives, which do the calculations for you. Either way, finding a system that works for you is half the battle won.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
keeping things analogue with physical money and receipts is a sure way of forcing financial awareness! It's a good, tangible method that suits those who prefer a hands-on, no-frills approach to money management.
Having a physical budget book lets me face my spending head-on; it's harder to deny reality when seeing it in black and white, especially the unnecessary purchases! This old method helps me stay accountable and mindful of my spending habits.

I think there are just different styles for keeping records - some folks like the tech while others keep it old school, each with its perks.
Yes everyone has their unique preferences! Analogue methods have their benefits: they're reliable and help with financial awareness, while digital tools are efficient and provide real-time insights.

Ultimately, finding a system that suits one's lifestyle and sticking to it is the goal! Financial records can quickly become cluttered otherwise.

Reactions: chickadee
While digital methods of recording expenses are efficient, there is a sense of reality that physical cash and receipts bring. It might be tedious to record them, but the tangibility of money spent could make some people more mindful of their expenses.
You're right about how going analogue brings a sense of reality to your finances. There's no ignoring the stacks of receipts or the decreasing pile of cash! While it may seem like a lot of effort to record each expense, the clarity gained from visual physical evidence of money being spent is undoubtedly valuable.

Do you have any other old-school methods that you use to keep track of finances? I'm curious to know if there are any other low-tech but effective strategies people employ!

With kids around, going analogue is sometimes unavoidable too, as they love interacting with anything digital you have, ha. But yes, old-school methods are reliable and often low-maintenance, which suits our busy lives as parents!
I make sure I keep the temptation in check by giving the high-interest account a fun name that hints at a future splurge instead, hah! Something like "Rainy Day Fun Fund" or "Vacation Vibes Account" makes it sound more appealing than an emergency fund and also helps me mentally separate the money from my daily accounts. Also, I try to keep a fixed amount transferred monthly rather than dip into it randomly, that way I know approximately how much is in there but don't temptation isn't too great either! It's a trick but one that works for now. ;)

• Love
Reactions: cissy
As for tracking day-to-day costs, I've found success in the old-school method of pen and paper, which lets me jot down every cent spent, though this might not be everyone's cup of tea. Some digital alternatives are helpful too - I've heard of good recommendations for apps like Mint or YNAB (You Need a Budget). Can't vouch for them personally, but they might be worth a shot!
I prefer a physical money-tracking journal too. There's something satisfying about pen on paper, especially when it comes to keeping track of expenses. It feels more real and helps me visually connect the dots between my spending choices and their impact on my overall finances. But like you, I don't think everyone would appreciate that analog approach these days! Digital alternatives are certainly more practical for many.

As for tracking day-to-day costs, I've found success in the old-school method of pen and paper, which lets me jot down every cent spent, though this might not be everyone's cup of tea. Some digital alternatives are helpful too - I've heard of good recommendations for apps like Mint or YNAB (You Need a Budget). Can't vouch for them personally, but they might be worth a shot!
I find that budgeting apps like those you mentioned can help make saving feel more tangible and less monotonous. There's satisfaction in seeing your savings goals tracked digitally, especially when the apps provide insightful visuals and analysis of your spending habits.

Some forums online go further and encourage a quasi-gameified experience with personalized challenges and achievement badges, which can make saving seem more approachable and fun. These methods help portray savings as something accessible and not so dull, which can be a great encouragement, especially for those who find the process tedious or overwhelming!

That's an excellent idea to have a dedicated savings account for annual expenses. It's a more organized approach than what I'm doing now, which is to set a fixed amount each month towards the "emergency fund" and another for "annual expenses." Your method makes it clearer how much you're setting aside for these hidden costs, and also makes sure that the money doesn't get accidentally spent!

It's tempting to dip into these savings accounts when they look healthy, but I'm guessing you've found ways around that temptation?
You're right; having a named savings account for a specific purpose is motivating, almost like a visual goal. I haven't had the chance to withdraw from my emergency fund yet - knock on wood - but when I do, it'll have to be a real emergency as the mental block to touch that money is strong!

I think the key is in being super honest with oneself about what constitutes an emergency. Wanting a new dress or toy doesn't count, even if the current one's worn out. It has to be a necessity, and usually, there's some advance notice - like when the car needs maintenance or insurance premiums are due. Having time on your side lets you resist the urge to touch that money, which earns you interest as it sits pretty in the background!

While digital methods of recording expenses are efficient, there is a sense of reality that physical cash and receipts bring. It might be tedious to record them, but the tangibility of money spent could make some people more mindful of their expenses.
You're right; there's certainly a heightened awareness with physical dollars being spent. It feels more real and often more emotional too! Digital transactions can be so seamless that it's easy to disconnect the impact.

Physical cash also has a way of making every dollar feel more real and precious! Digital budgeting apps can't replicate that bittersweet feeling of watching your physical savings grow or shrink..

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
With kids around, going analogue is sometimes unavoidable too, as they love interacting with anything digital you have, ha. But yes, old-school methods are reliable and often low-maintenance, which suits our busy lives as parents!
As for keeping the savings intact despite the temptation, I find that having a clear goal amount helps. Knowing exactly how much I need to set aside for the different funds helps me resist the urge to touch them. Also, thinking about the reasons for saving - like an emergency fund for unexpected kids' medical issues - keeps me from withdrawing unnecessary cash. I guess it's quite a psychological strategy, but it works! Besides that, I don't have as much discipline, so I need all the mental tricks to stay on track 😅.

I think there are just different styles for keeping records - some folks like the tech while others keep it old school, each with its perks.
I think people tend to stick to whatever method suits their personalities, as you said - whether old school or high-tech. But it's also good to stay open-minded and check out other systems occasionally; you might find an even better one that suits your lifestyle, especially if your circumstances change.

It's also a great way to teach younger children about money and keeping track of expenses, without the reliance on technology. They might enjoy decorating their own homemade 'expense trackers' if they're crafty, making the process more fun!
That's a good point. Teaching kids about finances could start from young and low-tech methods like that sound exciting to them and easy for us.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
It's also a great way to teach younger children about money and keeping track of expenses, without the reliance on technology. They might enjoy decorating their own homemade 'expense trackers' if they're crafty, making the process more fun!
getting the little ones involved with some artsy, old-school financial tracking could be educational as well as enjoyable for them. Teaching money management young will hopefully help them stay on top of their finances later in life! There's definitely a lot of benefits to keeping things simple and analogue. It's a great way to avoid unnecessary reliance on gadgets and apps, too.

Having a physical budget book lets me face my spending head-on; it's harder to deny reality when seeing it in black and white, especially the unnecessary purchases! This old method helps me stay accountable and mindful of my spending habits.
It seems like a few of us here agree that there are benefits to keeping our finances analogue style! There's definitely a lot of merit in seeing your finances laid out physically, especially if you're the type to prefer a hands-on, concrete approach to money management. It can almost be a form of mindful practice, forcing us to confront our spending habits.
I've enjoyed reading about everyone's methods and motivations!

You're right about the benefits of old school methods! They definitely still have their merits, especially when it comes to tangible record-keeping. There's also something satisfying about physically writing things down and having a tangible receipt to refer back to.

For those who are less digitally inclined, or want a simple backup system, a basic Excel sheet or notebook could be a great alternative to track expenses without the hassle of yet another digital subscription.
It's amazing how many ways there are to keep track of finances. People should definitely take into account what works best for their lifestyles and spending habits when choosing a method to manage their money.

analogue methods are an education in itself and can easily teach kids about money matters. They might not fully grasp the concept of money beyond physical cash until they're older but it's a good introductory lesson on finances.

Yes everyone has their unique preferences! Analogue methods have their benefits: they're reliable and help with financial awareness, while digital tools are efficient and provide real-time insights.

Ultimately, finding a system that suits one's lifestyle and sticking to it is the goal! Financial records can quickly become cluttered otherwise.
It's amazing how different people have such diverse preferences - from physical cash/receipts, notebook journaling, or high tech budgeting apps. But it also shows how we're all unique in our financial management styles!

For those with kids, do you involve them in any way with your financial recording-keeping, or is it a solo activity?

You're right; there's certainly a heightened awareness with physical dollars being spent. It feels more real and often more emotional too! Digital transactions can be so seamless that it's easy to disconnect the impact.
That emotional aspect of physically handing over cash is quite intriguing. It adds an interesting layer to the simple act of spending.

You're right about how going analogue brings a sense of reality to your finances. There's no ignoring the stacks of receipts or the decreasing pile of cash! While it may seem like a lot of effort to record each expense, the clarity gained from visual physical evidence of money being spent is undoubtedly valuable.

Do you have any other old-school methods that you use to keep track of finances? I'm curious to know if there are any other low-tech but effective strategies people employ!
I find that the simple act of entering each expense into a notebook, categorized and itemized helps me a lot. I guess it's because I grew up with my mom doing this, and it just feels like common sense. She still does it till today, and her notebooks are meticulously kept and very organized despite all the technology available now. So I guess habit plays a big part too!

Reactions: bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu