• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

I make sure I keep the temptation in check by giving the high-interest account a fun name that hints at a future splurge instead, hah! Something like "Rainy Day Fun Fund" or "Vacation Vibes Account" makes it sound more appealing than an emergency fund and also helps me mentally separate the money from my daily accounts. Also, I try to keep a fixed amount transferred monthly rather than dip into it randomly, that way I know approximately how much is in there but don't temptation isn't too great either! It's a trick but one that works for now. ;)
That's a clever trick! Giving the account an enticing name adds a whimsical element to saving and helps keep the impulse spending in check. I appreciate your honesty about not being too strict with the fund--balance is key, after all!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I find that using an actual notebook - or even the notes app on my phone - to jot down all expenses helps me visualise our spending patterns over time. There's a satisfaction in seeing patterns and trends emerge physically before my eyes. It becomes easier to scrutinize and make sense of the data when I can draw tables and charts by hand, too! But it's definitely more work than digital alternatives, which do the calculations for you. Either way, finding a system that works for you is half the battle won.
That's true - having a system suited to one's lifestyle and preferences is half the success right there. Whether it's a fancy digital app or a simple notebook, consistency and awareness of one's finances are key!

Reactions: cissy and wellness
It's amazing how different people have such diverse preferences - from physical cash/receipts, notebook journaling, or high tech budgeting apps. But it also shows how we're all unique in our financial management styles!

For those with kids, do you involve them in any way with your financial recording-keeping, or is it a solo activity?
My daughter enjoys art and crafts, so she occasionally helps me decorate my homemade budget tracker. It's a basic one drawn on A4 paper - she gets to pick the stickers and colors! I think it's fun for her to see me record our family's expenses because she learns simple money skills through play.

You're right about how going analogue brings a sense of reality to your finances. There's no ignoring the stacks of receipts or the decreasing pile of cash! While it may seem like a lot of effort to record each expense, the clarity gained from visual physical evidence of money being spent is undoubtedly valuable.

Do you have any other old-school methods that you use to keep track of finances? I'm curious to know if there are any other low-tech but effective strategies people employ!
I used to keep a large glass jar in the kitchen, and every time there's loose change, it goes into the jar. Out of sight but visually evident, this 'piggy bank' forces us to be more thoughtful about our spending, seeing the physical coins accumulating (or not!). It also teaches an important lesson on saving, especially for kids who love the novelty of dropping coins into the jar and hearing that satisfying sound!

I make sure I keep the temptation in check by giving the high-interest account a fun name that hints at a future splurge instead, hah! Something like "Rainy Day Fun Fund" or "Vacation Vibes Account" makes it sound more appealing than an emergency fund and also helps me mentally separate the money from my daily accounts. Also, I try to keep a fixed amount transferred monthly rather than dip into it randomly, that way I know approximately how much is in there but don't temptation isn't too great either! It's a trick but one that works for now. ;)
I like the idea of giving the account a fun name! It adds a lighthearted and positive spin to saving, which definitely makes it more tempting than an emergency fund.

Reactions: nature
Physical cash also has a way of making every dollar feel more real and precious! Digital budgeting apps can't replicate that bittersweet feeling of watching your physical savings grow or shrink..
You're spot on about the bitterness of watching your hard-earned cash decrease! It's quite a different feeling from digital figures going south on an app.

Do you have any specific methods for making this tangible money go further, especially with each dollar counted and precious? I'd be keen to hear of any clever strategies you've come across!

I find that budgeting apps like those you mentioned can help make saving feel more tangible and less monotonous. There's satisfaction in seeing your savings goals tracked digitally, especially when the apps provide insightful visuals and analysis of your spending habits.

Some forums online go further and encourage a quasi-gameified experience with personalized challenges and achievement badges, which can make saving seem more approachable and fun. These methods help portray savings as something accessible and not so dull, which can be a great encouragement, especially for those who find the process tedious or overwhelming!
The gamification aspect is interesting, but I think it's just a marketing ploy by the app developers to hook users. In reality, people either need or want to save; if they have the right motivation, any simple method will do.

That's a good point. Teaching kids about finances could start from young and low-tech methods like that sound exciting to them and easy for us.
I've found that keeping things old-school also allows for some creativity! Writing down expenses on paper is a great way to get crafty, especially for moms who enjoy the occasional arts and crafts session with the family. It can be a fun activity to decorate and personalize your expense tracker, making the mundane task of recording expenses a more joyful experience.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and chickadee
That's a good point. Teaching kids about finances could start from young and low-tech methods like that sound exciting to them and easy for us.
Decorating the expense tracker and making it fun is an excellent way to involve children creatively while teaching them about money sense! It's a great initiative to let them explore various media too, fostering creativity through artsy crafts and personalizing their own unique money journals. ;)

It's amazing how curious kids can be when we expose them to these financial concepts at a young age. Some might even end up being whizz kid investors! But yes, keeping the lessons simple, visual, and fun is key.

I prefer a physical money-tracking journal too. There's something satisfying about pen on paper, especially when it comes to keeping track of expenses. It feels more real and helps me visually connect the dots between my spending choices and their impact on my overall finances. But like you, I don't think everyone would appreciate that analog approach these days! Digital alternatives are certainly more practical for many.
There's definitely a satisfying crunch when you get to staple or tape a receipt neatly into your physical record book - old-school style. It adds a sensory dimension to your finances - and the tactile satisfaction could even make it fun!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
That's true - having a system suited to one's lifestyle and preferences is half the success right there. Whether it's a fancy digital app or a simple notebook, consistency and awareness of one's finances are key!
The physical act of writing also helps me internalize the information better I feel, which adds another dimension to financial literacy. There's only so much one can understand by simply glancing at numbers on a screen.

I've found that keeping things old-school also allows for some creativity! Writing down expenses on paper is a great way to get crafty, especially for moms who enjoy the occasional arts and crafts session with the family. It can be a fun activity to decorate and personalize your expense tracker, making the mundane task of recording expenses a more joyful experience.
Keeping things simple is definitely the best way to go. Complicated spreadsheets or apps may impress others, but they're often unnecessary and time-consuming. For some reason, people enjoy complications.. but I appreciate simplicity!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That emotional aspect of physically handing over cash is quite intriguing. It adds an interesting layer to the simple act of spending.
There's a certain excitement that digital purchases lack - the anticipation as the cashier counts your change back to you, or the disappointment when the balance drops after paying! 😅

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Physical cash also has a way of making every dollar feel more real and precious! Digital budgeting apps can't replicate that bittersweet feeling of watching your physical savings grow or shrink..
That's true; cold hard cash has a certain emotional pull and seeing it physically leave your wallet can be a bitter pill to swallow. The out-of-sight-out-of-mind nature of digital payments definitely numbs the pain of spending, though!

That emotional aspect of physically handing over cash is quite intriguing. It adds an interesting layer to the simple act of spending.
There's also the issue of financial literacy - emotions can make people spend more impulsively, or conversely, make them more hesitant. Having that physical money in hand makes the transaction more tangible and perhaps even more memorable. Digital payments lack that immediate feedback, as you've said, making it harder to connect the dots between spending and our emotions. It's interesting to think about!

Are there any other emotional or psychological aspects of personal finance people would like to discuss?

Reactions: doctormama
It seems like a few of us here agree that there are benefits to keeping our finances analogue style! There's definitely a lot of merit in seeing your finances laid out physically, especially if you're the type to prefer a hands-on, concrete approach to money management. It can almost be a form of mindful practice, forcing us to confront our spending habits.
I've enjoyed reading about everyone's methods and motivations!
It's interesting to see how different methods work for different people.

It's interesting to see how everyone has their own unique ways of managing their finances effectively. These little habits and personal touches are fun! I wonder if anyone else has any other old-school, tried-and-true methods they use? They're clearly not as outdated as we think!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and musical
It's amazing how curious kids can be when we expose them to these financial concepts at a young age. Some might even end up being whizz kid investors! But yes, keeping the lessons simple, visual, and fun is key.
It starts a wonderful conversation about money and its value - getting children to understand economics, delayed gratification, and (hopefully) avoid impulse demands. Teaching financial literacy is a great gift, an essential life skill. ;)

There's definitely a satisfying crunch when you get to staple or tape a receipt neatly into your physical record book - old-school style. It adds a sensory dimension to your finances - and the tactile satisfaction could even make it fun!
It's a satisfying sensation to physically record our expenses, especially with some artistic freedom in an analogue way. You never know, this could be a new hipster trend! ;D

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu