• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Activities

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So many wonderful ideas! Here's a few engaging activities that have worked well for toddlers I've spent time with:

- Treasure hunt around the house! It keeps them busy for quite some time and they feel so proud of their findings. You can make it more educational by having them search for items that start with a certain sound or letter, or even just identifying colours.

- If you have space outdoors, setting up a simple obstacle course is always a win! Use whatever you have available - hula hoop, old tunnels, spare tires, chalk to mark a path etc. Set them up and let the little ones run wild! It's fun for them and also tires them out nicely ;)

- Indoor camping! Set up a fort with pillows and blankets in the living room, tell stories under the 'starry night sky', make s'mores over the stove or oven and even camp overnight if you're feeling adventurous. The sense of adventure is sure to excite any toddler.

I'd love to hear about more activity ideas too!

So many wonderful ideas! Here's a few engaging activities that have worked well for toddlers I've spent time with:

- Treasure hunt around the house! It keeps them busy for quite some time and they feel so proud of their findings. You can make it more educational by having them search for items that start with a certain sound or letter, or even just identifying colours.

- If you have space outdoors, setting up a simple obstacle course is always a win! Use whatever you have available - hula hoop, old tunnels, spare tires, chalk to mark a path etc. Set them up and let the little ones run wild! It's fun for them and also tires them out nicely ;)

- Indoor camping! Set up a fort with pillows and blankets in the living room, tell stories under the 'starry night sky', make s'mores over the stove or oven and even camp overnight if you're feeling adventurous. The sense of adventure is sure to excite any toddler.

I'd love to hear about more activity ideas too!
Hey there, it's certainly fun hearing about these exciting toddler activities! Here's a quick one to add to the list: creating a makeshift "spa" with your tot. Fill the bathtub with colourful bubbles and some scented bath bombs, and let them enjoy some sensory play with their rubber ducks and boat toys - don't forget the calming music too! It's a relaxing yet fun activity that also helps with water familiarity.

Hey there, it's certainly fun hearing about these exciting toddler activities! Here's a quick one to add to the list: creating a makeshift "spa" with your tot. Fill the bathtub with colourful bubbles and some scented bath bombs, and let them enjoy some sensory play with their rubber ducks and boat toys - don't forget the calming music too! It's a relaxing yet fun activity that also helps with water familiarity.
That's a nice one! My toddler once spent an afternoon 'washing' her toys and pretending to lotion them up, which kept her entertained for quite some time.

Reactions: greenfingers
That's a nice one! My toddler once spent an afternoon 'washing' her toys and pretending to lotion them up, which kept her entertained for quite some time.
Toddlers do enjoy their make-belief games! It's quite amazing how they can keep themselves occupied with the simplest of activities. Do you have any other fun ideas up your sleeve?

Toddlers do enjoy their make-belief games! It's quite amazing how they can keep themselves occupied with the simplest of activities. Do you have any other fun ideas up your sleeve?
I find that make believe games come easily to toddlers, and it's fascinating to see their imaginations run wild. One simple activity that encourages this is setting up a little role play corner with old hats and accessories. Dress up and pretending to be someone else seems to be such an engaging activity for them!

As for me, I'm running low on creativity today but I'm sure I'll think of more soon ;) What about you though? Any other activities that come to mind?

I find that make believe games come easily to toddlers, and it's fascinating to see their imaginations run wild. One simple activity that encourages this is setting up a little role play corner with old hats and accessories. Dress up and pretending to be someone else seems to be such an engaging activity for them!

As for me, I'm running low on creativity today but I'm sure I'll think of more soon ;) What about you though? Any other activities that come to mind?
Role playing is a good one! And yep, it's amazing how a pile of old clothes and some accessories can keep them happy. My go-to activity as a mom is always arts and crafts - cutting, sticking and colouring keeps them busy for hours, especially if they're doing it independently.

Role playing is a good one! And yep, it's amazing how a pile of old clothes and some accessories can keep them happy. My go-to activity as a mom is always arts and crafts - cutting, sticking and colouring keeps them busy for hours, especially if they're doing it independently.
Arts and crafts are indeed a go-to for many parents, it's such an easy and accessible activity! I find that having a variety of textures and materials for art engaging helps keep things interesting too - like bubbles, paints, and even playdough! It's a nice way to expose them to different sensory experiences. Do you have a favourite craft idea that your little one enjoys?

Arts and crafts are indeed a go-to for many parents, it's such an easy and accessible activity! I find that having a variety of textures and materials for art engaging helps keep things interesting too - like bubbles, paints, and even playdough! It's a nice way to expose them to different sensory experiences. Do you have a favourite craft idea that your little one enjoys?
As a huge fan of arts myself, I love the finger painting activity which is fun for toddlers and creates cute keepsakes for parents! Finger paints are a great sensory experience especially with the different colours and textures available.

However, my favourite has got to be making painted handprints on canvas. It's fun watching the little ones get excited about the whole process - from squeezing the paint onto the paper plates (with much concentration!) to carefully placing their hands on the canvas. We hang the finished pieces up like little masterpieces and it makes for such lovely room decor too!

I also remember doing some tie-dye crafting recently which was loads of fun. All you need is some white fabric, a few colours of dye (or even just food colouring will do) and some rubber bands or string. It's so easy to wrap up the toddler's clothing with the dye seeping through for a cool batik effect - definitely a fun outdoor activity though!

As a huge fan of arts myself, I love the finger painting activity which is fun for toddlers and creates cute keepsakes for parents! Finger paints are a great sensory experience especially with the different colours and textures available.

However, my favourite has got to be making painted handprints on canvas. It's fun watching the little ones get excited about the whole process - from squeezing the paint onto the paper plates (with much concentration!) to carefully placing their hands on the canvas. We hang the finished pieces up like little masterpieces and it makes for such lovely room decor too!

I also remember doing some tie-dye crafting recently which was loads of fun. All you need is some white fabric, a few colours of dye (or even just food colouring will do) and some rubber bands or string. It's so easy to wrap up the toddler's clothing with the dye seeping through for a cool batik effect - definitely a fun outdoor activity though!
I've been meaning to try finger painting with my tot but it seems messy! Would definitely give that a go soon, especially with the variety of textures you mentioned. Love the idea of turning them into keepsakes too - those handprint art could be lovely gifts for the grandparents.

The tie-dyeing sounds fun as well! That's one we haven't tried yet but it's on my list now :)

I've been meaning to try finger painting with my tot but it seems messy! Would definitely give that a go soon, especially with the variety of textures you mentioned. Love the idea of turning them into keepsakes too - those handprint art could be lovely gifts for the grandparents.

The tie-dyeing sounds fun as well! That's one we haven't tried yet but it's on my list now :)
The mess does seem daunting at first, but the joy of seeing them enjoy the process is worth it! Plus, the memory of the experience will hopefully outweigh the cleanup afterwards 😅 It's fun to let them make a mess every once in a while! Have fun trying these activities and do share if you've found any other interesting ones!

The mess does seem daunting at first, but the joy of seeing them enjoy the process is worth it! Plus, the memory of the experience will hopefully outweigh the cleanup afterwards 😅 It's fun to let them make a mess every once in a while! Have fun trying these activities and do share if you've found any other interesting ones!
The experience indeed creates fond memories that make up for the mess! I hope you and your little one have lots of fun, and stay tuned for more sustainable activity ideas as I'll be sure to share them here 😊

The experience indeed creates fond memories that make up for the mess! I hope you and your little one have lots of fun, and stay tuned for more sustainable activity ideas as I'll be sure to share them here 😊
Sustainable activities sound intriguing! Looking forward to hearing about them. Have a good day ahead!

Reactions: wisdom
Sustainable activities sound intriguing! Looking forward to hearing about them. Have a good day ahead!
You too! Have a great weekend and enjoy the quality time with your little one :)

You too! Have a great weekend and enjoy the quality time with your little one :)
Enjoy your weekend too! Hope you get to relax and recharge for the coming week!

You as well, thank you! Hope your day's been going well!
So far so good, thank you! Had a productive morning and now relaxing before the evening comes. How about you? Any interesting plans for the day?

So far so good, thank you! Had a productive morning and now relaxing before the evening comes. How about you? Any interesting plans for the day?
That sounds like a perfect way to spend a weekend - some activity followed by relaxation! I'm currently trying to convince my little one to take a short nap, which will hopefully work soon. We've got a park visit planned later so she's a bit too excited haha.

That sounds like a perfect way to spend a weekend - some activity followed by relaxation! I'm currently trying to convince my little one to take a short nap, which will hopefully work soon. We've got a park visit planned later so she's a bit too excited haha.
A nap would probably be a mission impossible right now with all the excitement! Hope you'll have lots of fun at the park!

A nap would probably be a mission impossible right now with all the excitement! Hope you'll have lots of fun at the park!
Yes indeed, it looks like we're going to be running around the park instead! Have a fantastic time there and enjoy the lovely evening ahead!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu