• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Challenges & Successes

You're right; changing locations can do wonders for the soul, like a quick getaway! Being a parent is a 24/7 job, so those in-between hours when the kids are occupied are precious. I make full use of that time by indulging in my hobbies and catching up on some much-needed me-time. I believe this helps me stay sane and energized for the next round of parenting adventures!

I'm sure other parents have their own strategies too; it's fascinating to hear these little tips and tricks! What about you? Any secrets to share, or topics you'd like to discuss further related to this?
As a parent, the in-between times are indeed precious and must be utilized well! I agree that a quick change of environment, even if it's just within Singapore, is a good idea. Local staycations can offer that refreshing break from the norm.

I think parenting styles would be an interesting topic too - how we manage our approach based on our personalities, or how we adapt our strategies as situations change. Also, with many eco-conscious folks here, including myself, I'd love to hear anyone's eco-friendly tips for keeping kids entertained and involved in environmentally-themed activities!

As a parent, the in-between times are indeed precious and must be utilized well! I agree that a quick change of environment, even if it's just within Singapore, is a good idea. Local staycations can offer that refreshing break from the norm.

I think parenting styles would be an interesting topic too - how we manage our approach based on our personalities, or how we adapt our strategies as situations change. Also, with many eco-conscious folks here, including myself, I'd love to hear anyone's eco-friendly tips for keeping kids entertained and involved in environmentally-themed activities!
I've always found that having a range of different activities up my sleeve helps me when faced with challenges; some of which are indoor or outdoor activities depending on whether we're stuck at home or not. Eco-friendly themes can certainly make things interesting! Making arts and crafts using recycled materials, for instance, or going on a nature walk to observe and appreciate our natural surroundings. These keep my kids engaged while also teaching them about the importance of caring for the environment. We could definitely use more such ideas, especially with the current state of the world! What other ways do you guys keep your children entertained in an eco-friendly fashion?

I've always found that having a range of different activities up my sleeve helps me when faced with challenges; some of which are indoor or outdoor activities depending on whether we're stuck at home or not. Eco-friendly themes can certainly make things interesting! Making arts and crafts using recycled materials, for instance, or going on a nature walk to observe and appreciate our natural surroundings. These keep my kids engaged while also teaching them about the importance of caring for the environment. We could definitely use more such ideas, especially with the current state of the world! What other ways do you guys keep your children entertained in an eco-friendly fashion?
There's so much we can do right here in Singapore! Nature walks are accessible, or even just a simple picnic at the park with DIY recycled crafts can be fun. My kids also enjoy 'treasure hunts' - searching for things like fallen leaves or birds - which keeps them engaged and aware of their natural surroundings.

There's so much we can do right here in Singapore! Nature walks are accessible, or even just a simple picnic at the park with DIY recycled crafts can be fun. My kids also enjoy 'treasure hunts' - searching for things like fallen leaves or birds - which keeps them engaged and aware of their natural surroundings.
For those who have slightly older children, I've heard some parents recommend involving their kids in the actual process of composting, or even starting a small garden at home to grow organic fruits and veggies. Something educational and fun! Are these activities that you think would work well with your younger crew? Or do you have any other ideas?

For those who have slightly older children, I've heard some parents recommend involving their kids in the actual process of composting, or even starting a small garden at home to grow organic fruits and veggies. Something educational and fun! Are these activities that you think would work well with your younger crew? Or do you have any other ideas?
Older kids would definitely find those activities exciting! The excitement of watching plants grow from compost is a cool nature lesson, or in caring for pets like hamsters that require attention and an environment to be maintained. My older sibling had done this with his children, and the grandkids loved it!

For younger kids, I think simple nature exploration is a good starting place - like those leaves and birds you mentioned - and making animal sounds as we stroll along. There are also these interactive apps with augmented reality features that my kids enjoy; they might help keep older toddlers engaged during long strolls too. Some games have you locating and identifying different animals and plants which can make things fun!

It's a balance finding activities suited to various ages, so sharing ideas like these is super helpful. Any other suggestions welcome too! Parenting is all about learning and adapting right - got any more tips for keeping kids entertained?

Older kids would definitely find those activities exciting! The excitement of watching plants grow from compost is a cool nature lesson, or in caring for pets like hamsters that require attention and an environment to be maintained. My older sibling had done this with his children, and the grandkids loved it!

For younger kids, I think simple nature exploration is a good starting place - like those leaves and birds you mentioned - and making animal sounds as we stroll along. There are also these interactive apps with augmented reality features that my kids enjoy; they might help keep older toddlers engaged during long strolls too. Some games have you locating and identifying different animals and plants which can make things fun!

It's a balance finding activities suited to various ages, so sharing ideas like these is super helpful. Any other suggestions welcome too! Parenting is all about learning and adapting right - got any more tips for keeping kids entertained?
Parenting is indeed a continuous learning process! Nature-wise, another simple tip could be to encourage kids' senses of touch and smell by allowing them to handle smooth stones or sniff the fragrant flowers in our surroundings during nature walks.

For some indoor quiet time, I sometimes set up sensory play with eco-friendly materials like colourful rice or beans for my younger ones. They love exploring these different textures hidden beneath their hands! Older kids could even help prepare such a sensory bin. Art and craft sessions are also always a hit and offer lots of learning opportunities when it comes to the environment, especially with all that scissors practice too. Recycling cardboard tubes and boxes is especially fun - transforming them into robots or crowns!

Keeping the activities varied is another great tip to keep everyone interested, and of course, safety is key when it comes to any outside adventures! It's wonderful gathering all these ideas though - keeps things fresh :) Are there any parenting tricks you moms have up your sleeves?

Parenting is indeed a continuous learning process! Nature-wise, another simple tip could be to encourage kids' senses of touch and smell by allowing them to handle smooth stones or sniff the fragrant flowers in our surroundings during nature walks.

For some indoor quiet time, I sometimes set up sensory play with eco-friendly materials like colourful rice or beans for my younger ones. They love exploring these different textures hidden beneath their hands! Older kids could even help prepare such a sensory bin. Art and craft sessions are also always a hit and offer lots of learning opportunities when it comes to the environment, especially with all that scissors practice too. Recycling cardboard tubes and boxes is especially fun - transforming them into robots or crowns!

Keeping the activities varied is another great tip to keep everyone interested, and of course, safety is key when it comes to any outside adventures! It's wonderful gathering all these ideas though - keeps things fresh :) Are there any parenting tricks you moms have up your sleeves?
I'm running out of tricks with my little ones getting more mobile and curious by the day! It certainly helps to keep things age-appropriate as well, especially now that my tot is becoming a adventurous toddler. I'm learning the hard way that what worked last month may not work this month!

For instance, they love putting things into boxes/bins as of late - so I've been stockpiling cardboard boxes of different sizes for them to play with. The recent 6 p.m. tantrum involved a lot of "washing dishes" with an old plastic tub and cup - easy independent play that kept them occupied for at least twenty minutes while I prepped dinner.

On the go, it's all about distractions! Snacks, bubbles, and a simple toy rotate to keep things novel. The park is also my go-to - loads of space for running around and making new friends. Sand pit visits are another hit as they love that sensory experience too.

I should probably start stockpiling some nature items though...any suggestions on where to start? I'm keen to introduce more eco-friendly practices! Maybe a nature scavenger hunt kit or something similar?

I'm running out of tricks with my little ones getting more mobile and curious by the day! It certainly helps to keep things age-appropriate as well, especially now that my tot is becoming a adventurous toddler. I'm learning the hard way that what worked last month may not work this month!

For instance, they love putting things into boxes/bins as of late - so I've been stockpiling cardboard boxes of different sizes for them to play with. The recent 6 p.m. tantrum involved a lot of "washing dishes" with an old plastic tub and cup - easy independent play that kept them occupied for at least twenty minutes while I prepped dinner.

On the go, it's all about distractions! Snacks, bubbles, and a simple toy rotate to keep things novel. The park is also my go-to - loads of space for running around and making new friends. Sand pit visits are another hit as they love that sensory experience too.

I should probably start stockpiling some nature items though...any suggestions on where to start? I'm keen to introduce more eco-friendly practices! Maybe a nature scavenger hunt kit or something similar?
A nature scavenger hunt sounds like an exciting outdoor adventure for the little ones! Collecting items of different shapes and sizes is a great way to introduce the idea of variety in nature. Pinecones, interestingly shaped sticks, interesting leaves, acorns, and seeds are some options. You might even stumble upon some interesting feathers or stones.

An eco-friendly tip: Bring along a reusable bag for your nature walks so that you can collect trash along the way - teach them about responsible disposal and the importance of keeping our parks clean! It's a good habit and helps keep the little ones engaged since it's like a continuous treasure hunt.

On the topic of collecting items, I remember my mom used to let us forage for fallen casuarina cones back in the day. We'd collect them and string them into a pretty garland with some help - that kept us occupied for hours! There's something special about keeping those natural keepsakes too :) What other fun traditions do you guys have?

A nature scavenger hunt sounds like an exciting outdoor adventure for the little ones! Collecting items of different shapes and sizes is a great way to introduce the idea of variety in nature. Pinecones, interestingly shaped sticks, interesting leaves, acorns, and seeds are some options. You might even stumble upon some interesting feathers or stones.

An eco-friendly tip: Bring along a reusable bag for your nature walks so that you can collect trash along the way - teach them about responsible disposal and the importance of keeping our parks clean! It's a good habit and helps keep the little ones engaged since it's like a continuous treasure hunt.

On the topic of collecting items, I remember my mom used to let us forage for fallen casuarina cones back in the day. We'd collect them and string them into a pretty garland with some help - that kept us occupied for hours! There's something special about keeping those natural keepsakes too :) What other fun traditions do you guys have?
I love the idea of turning foraging finds into decorations - it makes the experience so much more meaningful! We also used to make wreaths out of pinecones as a kid. Simple, but a great way to remember family time spent outdoors during the festive season!

With technology these days, I've also been teaching my kids the old tradition of geotagging special spots we visit. It's like a modern-day scavenger hunt with GPS coordinates - very helpful when planning hikes or picnic spots as a family. We love coming back to our favourites and remembering the fun times! Often, it jolts our memory of hidden gems that would otherwise be forgotten over time.

Are there any hiking must-haves you mums recommend? I'm always scared we'll run out of steam midway with the little ones!

I love the idea of turning foraging finds into decorations - it makes the experience so much more meaningful! We also used to make wreaths out of pinecones as a kid. Simple, but a great way to remember family time spent outdoors during the festive season!

With technology these days, I've also been teaching my kids the old tradition of geotagging special spots we visit. It's like a modern-day scavenger hunt with GPS coordinates - very helpful when planning hikes or picnic spots as a family. We love coming back to our favourites and remembering the fun times! Often, it jolts our memory of hidden gems that would otherwise be forgotten over time.

Are there any hiking must-haves you mums recommend? I'm always scared we'll run out of steam midway with the little ones!
Some hiking essentials we moms swear by for little hikers include a good carrier or kid wagon, especially if you have a smaller toddler who might need a lift midway. Reusable water bottles and plenty of snacks are also a must - keeping them hydrated and fed can be a great motivator to keep hiking! A simple first aid kit with band-aids also goes a long way in soothing those little boo-boos and encouraging them to get right back up again 😊.

Some hiking essentials we moms swear by for little hikers include a good carrier or kid wagon, especially if you have a smaller toddler who might need a lift midway. Reusable water bottles and plenty of snacks are also a must - keeping them hydrated and fed can be a great motivator to keep hiking! A simple first aid kit with band-aids also goes a long way in soothing those little boo-boos and encouraging them to get right back up again 😊.
Thank you for the tips! I realized that most of these essentials are also great for prepping picnic outings, which we love having!

In fact, for picnics, some of us mums would bring along a lightweight foldable rug - easy to wash and useful for giving the little ones a quick space to nap if they're tired out from running around! A small but mighty speaker is also a fun addition to add some ambiance, especially if you're picture a spot by the lakes or beach. We usually keep ours tucked away in our picnic basket along with reusable utensils and plates - makes us feel like we're on vacation!

On the topic of essentials, what about sharing some hiking games moms? I'm keen to hear any that might keep up the pace and make hiking a real adventure! Some of us might have tried "I spy" and the license plate game already haha.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Thank you for the tips! I realized that most of these essentials are also great for prepping picnic outings, which we love having!

In fact, for picnics, some of us mums would bring along a lightweight foldable rug - easy to wash and useful for giving the little ones a quick space to nap if they're tired out from running around! A small but mighty speaker is also a fun addition to add some ambiance, especially if you're picture a spot by the lakes or beach. We usually keep ours tucked away in our picnic basket along with reusable utensils and plates - makes us feel like we're on vacation!

On the topic of essentials, what about sharing some hiking games moms? I'm keen to hear any that might keep up the pace and make hiking a real adventure! Some of us might have tried "I spy" and the license plate game already haha.
Some kids love playing the alphabet game while on hikes - a great way to keep their eyes peeled for things in nature corresponding to each letter. Or we can go old school with a game of "Simon Says"! It's interactive, fun, and keeps everyone amused and active.

For those who aren't so competitively inclined (ahem, us moms), we can slow it down and try some mindful activities like a guided meditation session or bird-watching - it's amazing what you can spot up in the treetops! Get the kids involved in taking photos too - it'll distract them from any fatigue and leaves you with some cute snapshots of the outing. Little treats also go a long way for rewards, especially after a tough hike up a big hill! Stopping at scenic spots for some selfies and a little snack break can help keep their spirits up.

For a real adventure, geo caching is a fun treasure hunt using GPS! You can download apps to find hidden gems in the area you're hiking. It's like a global scavenger hunt - it keeps the excitement up and you never know what you might discover!

Some kids love playing the alphabet game while on hikes - a great way to keep their eyes peeled for things in nature corresponding to each letter. Or we can go old school with a game of "Simon Says"! It's interactive, fun, and keeps everyone amused and active.

For those who aren't so competitively inclined (ahem, us moms), we can slow it down and try some mindful activities like a guided meditation session or bird-watching - it's amazing what you can spot up in the treetops! Get the kids involved in taking photos too - it'll distract them from any fatigue and leaves you with some cute snapshots of the outing. Little treats also go a long way for rewards, especially after a tough hike up a big hill! Stopping at scenic spots for some selfies and a little snack break can help keep their spirits up.

For a real adventure, geo caching is a fun treasure hunt using GPS! You can download apps to find hidden gems in the area you're hiking. It's like a global scavenger hunt - it keeps the excitement up and you never know what you might discover!
Indeed, it's awesome to hear these ideas to keep the little ones occupied during hikes. I'm sure other mums will find them useful too! seems like we've all got some fun activities up our sleeves for the upcoming long weekend. Let me add one more - why not bring along a small notebook and some pencils? That way, your little ones can sketch their favorite finds - leaves, bugs, or interesting plants - and you get to keep a special memento from the day.

Indeed, it's awesome to hear these ideas to keep the little ones occupied during hikes. I'm sure other mums will find them useful too! seems like we've all got some fun activities up our sleeves for the upcoming long weekend. Let me add one more - why not bring along a small notebook and some pencils? That way, your little ones can sketch their favorite finds - leaves, bugs, or interesting plants - and you get to keep a special memento from the day.
It's fun to have a creative keepsake after the hike too!

• Sad
Reactions: greenfingers
The art of observing and documenting is indeed a fun way to spend time in nature.
I think I speak for most of us when I say that finding ways to keep our little ones engaged in the outdoors has just got a whole lot more interesting!

I think I speak for most of us when I say that finding ways to keep our little ones engaged in the outdoors has just got a whole lot more interesting!
There's certainly a wealth of ideas here for keeping everyone amused. Can't wait to try them out!

There sure is!
It's amazing to have such an engaging and informative conversation with you moms! It feels like our hike fantasy is coming to life! Have a great weekend, ladies!

It's amazing to have such an engaging and informative conversation with you moms! It feels like our hike fantasy is coming to life! Have a great weekend, ladies!
You too! Enjoy your hikes everyone!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu