• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'An expensive lesson': Driver incurs $20 'idle fee' for leaving car at Jewel Changi Airport's EV charging lot

Yeah, no kidding. What an expensive mistake it is! That kind of fee would certainly discourage people from occupying the lot needlessly though.
It's definitely a steep price to pay for overlooking such a charge. Better to just follow the rules and avoid unnecessary costs.

I agree. A fee for occupying a charging lot past the necessary time is a good initiative to free up spaces for other drivers who may urgently require a charge. This encourages EV drivers to be considerate and think about their fellow drivers. It's interesting how a minute-based charging system could potentially solve so many parking woes!
I am all for initiatives that increase charging lot turnover! It's quite brilliant, really -- they should implement more of such systems. Some drivers might forget about their vehicles though, as we're not yet used to such systems. An app alert or two would be helpful reminders. But I suppose it's a small price to pay for forgetting, quite literally!

I agree that it is reasonable to incur a charge for overstaying at EV charging lots. It would be interesting to see the effect of implementing such a system on private businesses' parking lots, although I think it could potentially backfire and discourage customers from returning. There's a delicate balance to be struck!
You're right; it definitely walks a fine line. The fee should be sufficiently deterrent without being overly punitive. Businesses certainly don't want to repel customers with excessive charges!

It might be a wise move to have a clearly defined grace period before the minute-based fees kick in. That way, there's less likelihood of deterring honest patrons who simply enjoyed a longer meal than planned or had a genuine lapse in memory.

I agree. A fee for occupying a charging lot past the necessary time is a good initiative to free up spaces for other drivers who may urgently require a charge. This encourages EV drivers to be considerate and think about their fellow drivers. It's interesting how a minute-based charging system could potentially solve so many parking woes!
it's a clever strategy to optimize the utilization of these dedicated lots and keep turnover high. Such a system could educate EV owners to be more mindful, especially since many might not realize the time until it's too late! A quick reminder or two wouldn't hurt.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
I agree that it is reasonable to incur a charge for overstaying at EV charging lots. It would be interesting to see the effect of implementing such a system on private businesses' parking lots, although I think it could potentially backfire and discourage customers from returning. There's a delicate balance to be struck!
You're right; it's a tricky situation because some may view this as a revenue-generating tactic. The last thing businesses want is for customers to feel ripped off and taken advantage of. That perception could hurt their relationship with patrons and discourage them from returning, especially if the fees are excessive.

It'll be beneficial if the focus is explained clearly as a measure to ensure availability and turnover of charging spaces for the EV community, and not solely as a profit-making scheme. After all, no one wants a situation where drivers desperately need a charge but can't find an available lot!

You're right; it's a tricky situation The minute-based charging system could potentially discourage customers from visiting if not implemented with a generous grace period, or with clear notifications and reminders. Businesses wouldn't want to alienate their customers with hefty fees, but rather encourage them to return!

There you go with another knee-jerk reaction. How is it 'backfiring' if it's implemented with a good grace period, say 10 minutes, to allow for any oversight or delay in responding? It's not like the goalposts are being changed on anyone.

It doesn't hurt to have some rules and regulations - and fees - to remind people to consider others, especially when it comes to a precious resource like parking or charging spaces.

Yeah, it seems like a win-win situation to encourage turnover for the convenience of all EV drivers and to ensure that charging lots are fairly utilized.

Yeah, it is quite easy to overlook the time especially when one is occupied with other commitments or running errands. In this case, it would've been an honest mistake on the part of the driver. The fee certainly adds an extra layer of pressure!
You're right; it's easy to lose track of time when you're focused on other things and this situation seems like a harsh penalty for an understandable oversight. It's unfortunate that she had to learn about the existence of such a rule the hard way!

Yeah, it is quite easy to overlook the time especially when one is occupied with other commitments or running errands. In this case, it would've been an honest mistake on the part of the driver. The fee certainly adds an extra layer of pressure!
It's tricky because while such a system may reduce unnecessary occupancy, it might also penalise those who genuinely require the additional time. Human error and unexpected delays happen!

it is understandable that mistakes like these can happen, and the fee certainly acts as a strong deterrent. With such charges, drivers will definitely become more mindful of the time!

Yeah, no kidding. The fee acts as a deterrent for what could potentially be an abusive practice of charging lots being occupied by cars beyond the needed time. Better be mindful and careful now that we know!
It's good to be aware of these implications. Better safe than sorry, as they say! Some might see this as an incentive to be more conscious of the time when using these services.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Yeah, no kidding. The fee acts as a deterrent for what could potentially be an abusive practice of charging lots being occupied by cars beyond the needed time. Better be mindful and careful now that we know!
You're right! It's good to be cautious and keep today's story in mind. We wouldn't want to end up with such an expensive mistake! It's also a good reminder to always be considerate of others' needs.

The high cost certainly makes it a strong deterrent! Hopefully, people will take note and not incur such charges. It's quite embarrassing to have to pay up, especially when it's avoidable.

Yeah, no kidding. People should be more cautious after reading about this.
this episode certainly serves as a warning for all EV drivers in Singapore. Better to be safe than sorry - don't end up like Cheryl! It's a good thing that the media has highlighted this issue, bringing awareness to the public.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu