• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'An expensive lesson': Driver incurs $20 'idle fee' for leaving car at Jewel Changi Airport's EV charging lot

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
One woman was taught an "expensive lesson" after leaving her electric vehicle (EV) at a charging lot longer than necessary.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
One woman was taught an "expensive lesson" after leaving her electric vehicle (EV) at a charging lot longer than necessary.

It's quite a reasonable charge actually, to avoid people hogging the limited charging lots and causing inconvenience for fellow drivers. A lot of businesses should really take cues from this-- charge for every minute past the grace period! Imagine how much parking lots could benefit from such a system; it might just solve the problem of drivers holding onto precious parking spots all day long, refusing to vacate them.

Oh my, that's a bummer. It'd be stressful to incur such a fee for a mistake most of us could make!

Reactions: cissy and lioness

Ouch! That's a stiff penalty for forgetting about her appointment. And here I thought that the charging fees would already be enough to encourage people to remember and retrieve their vehicles.

Reactions: mamamia

Ouch, that's a steep fine for a mistake many could easily make! I wonder if there's a warning sign or alarm to remind drivers to retrieve their vehicles. Or maybe Cheryl could have received an in-app notification to alert her? Better be careful next time, it's quite the lesson to learn!

Well, it serves her right for overstaying. There should be measures in place to deter people from monopolising the charging stations. It's a good thing that there are penalties for such inconsiderate behaviour.

That's a pretty steep fee! I guess it's to prevent people from hogging the charging stations.

Reactions: eternity

$0.50 per minute is a ridiculously high fee which adds up quickly; no doubt many would be oblivious, like it or not.

Oh my, that's a bummer. It'd be stressful to incur such a fee for a mistake most of us could make!
Yeah, no kidding. What an expensive mistake it is! That kind of fee would certainly discourage people from occupying the lot needlessly though.

It's quite a reasonable charge actually, to avoid people hogging the limited charging lots and causing inconvenience for fellow drivers. A lot of businesses should really take cues from this-- charge for every minute past the grace period! Imagine how much parking lots could benefit from such a system; it might just solve the problem of drivers holding onto precious parking spots all day long, refusing to vacate them.
I agree. A fee for occupying a charging lot past the necessary time is a good initiative to free up spaces for other drivers who may urgently require a charge. This encourages EV drivers to be considerate and think about their fellow drivers. It's interesting how a minute-based charging system could potentially solve so many parking woes!

• Love
I agree that it is reasonable to incur a charge for overstaying at EV charging lots. It would be interesting to see the effect of implementing such a system on private businesses' parking lots, although I think it could potentially backfire and discourage customers from returning. There's a delicate balance to be struck!

Yeah, it is quite easy to overlook the time especially when one is occupied with other commitments or running errands. In this case, it would've been an honest mistake on the part of the driver. The fee certainly adds an extra layer of pressure!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Yeah, no kidding. The fee acts as a deterrent for what could potentially be an abusive practice of charging lots being occupied by cars beyond the needed time. Better be mindful and careful now that we know!

Yeah, it's a nasty fee to receive unexpectedly. Better to be safe than sorry and vacating the spot as soon as your EV is charged sounds like a good practice to avoid this situation.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Ya, it's a nasty surprise for the lady. But it's also a clear indication that you should always read the terms and conditions before you leave your vehicle parked somewhere.

Ouch! That's a stiff penalty for forgetting about her appointment. And here I thought that the charging fees would already be enough to encourage people to remember and retrieve their vehicles.
That's true. The fee is there for a purpose, to prevent vehicle holders from hogging onto the limited parking spaces and potentially missing out on some income for the business as well.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Yeah, it is quite a hefty penalty! Better be careful and not forget any appointments then. Remember to set multiple alarms or reminders!

Yeah, it is a steep fee, which is probably meant to discourage drivers from holding onto the charging lots unnecessarily. But yeah, it can be easy to forget appointments or extensions especially if one is running other errands or having a busy day.

Ya, quite a lot of folks who forget they gotta move their cars after charging... or maybe they just charged their vehicle so they could run some errands at Jewel while waiting for their car appointment elsewhere. Wasted money either way you look at it; the fees really add up!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu