• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What are some must-have maternity items to add comfort during pregnancy?

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's dive straight into it!

As the topic suggests, I'd love to hear about what you found most comforting during your pregnancy. From clothing and pillows to snacks and entertainment, what were some of the items that got you through those 9 months (or comforted you postpartum)?

I'm curious to hear about the unusual/unexpected hits too! TMI is definitely not a concern here - the more detail, the better!

One thing that helped me was getting a maternity belt. It took some of the pressure off my back and hips, which meant I could be much more comfortable when moving around.

Also, I found that a pregnancy pillow - one of the smaller C-shaped ones - was a godsend. I used it mainly for support when sitting upright, as lower backache was a common issue for me. It cradled my bump and supported my back, so I could relax more.

In terms of clothing, I lived in loose black pants with a stretchy panel; they were comfortable and looked decent enough to wear out. And on the topic of clothes, maternity tights with a thick, high band were a must-have for me - worth every cent!

Some unexpected comforts were a foot spa and bath salts/oils. I used them to indulge in some at-home pedicure/foot care sessions. It was such a treat to soak my feet and ease the soreness from standing or walking around.

Lastly, snacks! I found that having high protein, ready-to-eat snacks on hand helped a lot. I kept a stock of cheese sticks, yoghurt, and small bags of nuts in the fridge for those inevitable hungry spells.

Hope this helps, and hoping you get some more great suggestions!

One thing that helped me was getting a maternity belt. It took some of the pressure off my back and hips, which meant I could be much more comfortable when moving around.

Also, I found that a pregnancy pillow - one of the smaller C-shaped ones - was a godsend. I used it mainly for support when sitting upright, as lower backache was a common issue for me. It cradled my bump and supported my back, so I could relax more.

In terms of clothing, I lived in loose black pants with a stretchy panel; they were comfortable and looked decent enough to wear out. And on the topic of clothes, maternity tights with a thick, high band were a must-have for me - worth every cent!

Some unexpected comforts were a foot spa and bath salts/oils. I used them to indulge in some at-home pedicure/foot care sessions. It was such a treat to soak my feet and ease the soreness from standing or walking around.

Lastly, snacks! I found that having high protein, ready-to-eat snacks on hand helped a lot. I kept a stock of cheese sticks, yoghurt, and small bags of nuts in the fridge for those inevitable hungry spells.

Hope this helps, and hoping you get some more great suggestions!
Pregnancy pillows are a comfortable invention I remember the relief they offered when sitting upright, especially towards the end of my pregnancy. Maternity tights with thick bands are also a God-send; they're so comfy that I think every woman should try them, pregnant or not!

On the subject of indulgences, I found that a massage stick was a great investment. My husband and I joke that it's like having a temporary, at-home masseuse. It's a long, sturdy stick with spiky bits that you roll your aching parts on - pure bliss for sore, pregnant bodies!

I also agree about the snacks, protein is so important, and I'd add cold milk to the list too - a glass of cold milk was such a treat, and it went down well with my sweet tooth cravings!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Massage sticks are an excellent idea and a fun way to soothe aches! I think the pillow and maternity tights are genius too; comfort is key when pregnant, so we'll take all the suggestions we can get!

Cold milk is a great suggestion - pregnancy can certainly work up quite the appetite and cravings! It's amazing how often you're hungry, and keeping snacks on hand is a good way to curb any hunger pangs.

Pillows are a pregnancy saver! They can help with discomfort and offer relief for various aches. Maternity support pillows especially cater to the curved shape of your body and are fantastic for extra comfort during sleep.

The craving hunger is real, so keeping some healthy snacks handy is a great idea too - it's a win when you can satisfy those cravings and provide nourishment!

What other comfort must-haves have you found useful?

Pillows are a pregnancy saver! They can help with discomfort and offer relief for various aches. Maternity support pillows especially cater to the curved shape of your body and are fantastic for extra comfort during sleep.

The craving hunger is real, so keeping some healthy snacks handy is a great idea too - it's a win when you can satisfy those cravings and provide nourishment!

What other comfort must-haves have you found useful?
I swear by my pregnancy pillow that I used until the very end. It was a hugger that went around me like a cocoon and supported my huge bump. Could also feed the baby with it later, so definitely a great investment! As for snacks, I craved for sourplums all the time. The tartness really hit the spot!

I second the pregnancy pillow! It's such a comfort must have especially for side sleepers like myself. And sour candies, yes!! Something about the sourness satisfied my cravings like no other. I also found some great maternity leggings that had plenty of stretch and were so comfortable, which was a life saver as my bump grew.

I second the pregnancy pillow! It's such a comfort must have especially for side sleepers like myself. And sour candies, yes!! Something about the sourness satisfied my cravings like no other. I also found some great maternity leggings that had plenty of stretch and were so comfortable, which was a life saver as my bump grew.
Leggings are a godsend as they adjust with your growing bump! I wore them through my whole pregnancy. And you can never go wrong with sweets; the sourer, the better!

Leggings are a pregnant woman's best friend. Comfortable, flexible, and stylish - they pair well with almost any shirt or dress!

And I second the vote for sour sweets - your body will crave what it needs, and vinegar/sour candies helped me when I was pregnant with my daughter. Stock up on those and some good leggings, and you'll be set for many months!

Sour sweets cravings are real! And yes, leggings are the ultimate comfort wear during pregnancy. They're versatile too - dress them up or down and they're super comfy for all those months.

I'd also recommend investing in a good body pillow - it's a godsend for getting comfortable while sleeping, especially later in the pregnancy when you're huge and nothing seems to be comfortable. Also, those elasticated hair ties are a lifesaver too; between the growing bump and changing hair volume, they're a styling staple!

Absolutely agree on the leggings - I lived in mine! Also second the body pillow, mine was a pregnancy saviour and helped me get some comfy sleep especially towards the end!

I'd also recommend a support belt, it helped me with backache and pelvic pain. And of course, lots of loose, flowy dresses! They're so comfortable and you can layer up or down depending on the weather.

Absolutely agree on the leggings - I lived in mine! Also second the body pillow, mine was a pregnancy saviour and helped me get some comfy sleep especially towards the end!

I'd also recommend a support belt, it helped me with backache and pelvic pain. And of course, lots of loose, flowy dresses! They're so comfortable and you can layer up or down depending on the weather.
Ahh, the good ol' pregnancy days, when comfort takes precedence over style (not that anyone's judging, it's a special time!). Flowy dresses are a godsend; they're cool and easy to wear, perfect for the hot and humid weather in Singapore! You might want to get one or two nursing shirts too, they're handy even after the baby arrives for discreet feeding.

Flowy dresses are a great idea; I'll definitely be on the lookout for some! And those nursing shirts sound like a good investment too - versatile and practical for the long run. Thanks for the tips!

Flowy dresses are a great idea; I'll definitely be on the lookout for some! And those nursing shirts sound like a good investment too - versatile and practical for the long run. Thanks for the tips!
Yes, please do stock up on those flowy numbers - they're such a relief in this hot and humid weather we've been having! I swear, the further along you are in your pregnancy, the happier you'll be to have those nursing shirts too; they look like regular tops but save you from fumbling around with buttons once the bub arrives. It's amazing how much thought goes into clothes you never considered before!

Yes, please do stock up on those flowy numbers - they're such a relief in this hot and humid weather we've been having! I swear, the further along you are in your pregnancy, the happier you'll be to have those nursing shirts too; they look like regular tops but save you from fumbling around with buttons once the bub arrives. It's amazing how much thought goes into clothes you never considered before!
It's true, there's a whole new world of clothing considerations when you're expecting! I found that empire waist dresses were a godsend too - comfortable and stylish, and they accommodated my growing bump really well. As for nursing-friendly apparel, those clever hacks make life so much easier post-pregnancy; you won't have to worry about trying to discreetly feed your little one!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
It's true, there's a whole new world of clothing considerations when you're expecting! I found that empire waist dresses were a godsend too - comfortable and stylish, and they accommodated my growing bump really well. As for nursing-friendly apparel, those clever hacks make life so much easier post-pregnancy; you won't have to worry about trying to discreetly feed your little one!
I agree, empire waist dresses are a bump-friendly option and a comfortable style to wear during pregnancy! I also found them very versatile, as they could be dressed up or down.

Wrap dresses/tops are also very convenient as maternity wear, especially for nursing moms! They're comfortable, easy to maneuver, and look stylish too. I also found that a few good, versatile scarves could be draped various ways to cover up while nursing in public. scarfs also come in handy to keep the breeze away from baby when you're out and about on a windy day!

Great tip about scarves - so versatile! And I love wrap dresses, they look great and are so comfy, good call!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Wrap dresses are a great option throughout pregnancy and beyond - so comfortable and stylish, and you can adjust the wrap for a perfect fit as your shape changes. And yes, scarves too; such an easy way to add a bit of fun and also keep warm! I found that I could make just about any outfit work with some clever accessorizing like this.

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
I wore wrap dresses all the time when I was pregnant too - it's so true that you can adjust them as your bump grows! And it makes you feel a bit more 'put together' which is nice during a time when your body feels like it's taking on a life of its own and nothing fits anymore! I also found that long, open cardigans were a lifesaver - they covered my bum and gave room for the bump, and weren't as hot as a jacket or coat.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu