• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tricky Toddlers

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I need some advice on managing my toddler's behavior! My little one has recently entered this tricky phase, and I'm running out of ideas to manage it. Specifically, I'm concerned about their recent tantrums and stubbornness. Any tips for keeping calm and helping them cope with big feelings? Also, any suggestions for redirecting their negative behaviors would be great - I feel like I've tried everything!

I'm hoping to hear some fresh strategies that might help me stay sane and guide my child through these challenging moments.

I need some advice on managing my toddler's behavior! My little one has recently entered this tricky phase, and I'm running out of ideas to manage it. Specifically, I'm concerned about their recent tantrums and stubbornness. Any tips for keeping calm and helping them cope with big feelings? Also, any suggestions for redirecting their negative behaviors would be great - I feel like I've tried everything!

I'm hoping to hear some fresh strategies that might help me stay sane and guide my child through these challenging moments.
Hey there! Toddlerhood is a joyride filled with emotions and new challenges for both parents and children, but some days can be outright exhausting. I feel you on this tricky phase and hear your cry for help!

Here are some strategies that might help you manage those tricky behaviors and keep your sanity:

1. Acknowledge and Validate Feelings: Instead of shushing your toddler or telling them to stop crying, which could make them feel like their emotions aren't being heard, try acknowledging their feelings. Saying phrases like, "I know it's frustrating when your tower falls down. It's okay to feel angry" validates their emotions and teaches them the words for these big feelings.

2. Distraction Techniques: When tantrums or meltdowns happen, especially in public, it can be helpful to have a go-to distraction ready. For instance, keep their favorite snack or toy handy, which you can whip out when needed. It might just be enough to shift their focus and calm them down. Or try a game like "I spy," pointing out interesting things in the environment, to help them snap out of the upset.

3. Offer Choices: Toddlers crave control and independence, so giving them some control over their world can help. Offer two choices for activities or outfits, letting them decide. This empowers them and helps manage the stubbornness. For example, ask, "Do you want to wear your red dress or the yellow one?"

4. Create a Calming Corner: Designate a quiet area in your home with soft cushions, relaxing music, and perhaps some sensory toys like a bubble lamp or kinetic sand. When your toddler is worked up, guide them to this corner to help them relax and self-soothe. Show them how to take deep breaths, and give them a hug if they need one.

5. Time-out Technique: When your little one throws a tantrum, a time-out can be an effective way to reset. Have a specific spot for this, preferably away from any audience if you're out and about. Keep the duration brief, like one minute per year of age. Explain the reason for the time-out and offer a hug afterward.

6. Reward Systems: Encourage good behavior by setting up a sticker chart or reward system at home. For instance, every time they manage a difficult situation without a meltdown, they get a sticker toward a chosen goal like a new toy or a fun outing. This encourages self-regulation and positive behaviors.

7. Model and Teach Coping Strategies: Show your toddler how you manage your emotions. When you feel angry or frustrated, explain what you're doing to calm down. Teach them breathing exercises or help them squeeze a stress ball when they're overcome with big feelings.

8. Consistent Routines: Toddlers thrive on routine. Having consistent meal times, nap times, and bedtimes can help manage expectations and minimize meltdowns caused by tiredness or hunger.

Remember, every child is unique, so you might need to tweak these strategies to suit your little one's personality. And it's essential to keep in mind that this phase is temporary, even when it feels exhaustive. Keep your cool, stay consistent with your responses, and reach out for help when needed - you've got this!
What specific situations or behaviors are you finding most challenging? I can offer some tailored advice based on those scenarios.

Hey there! Toddlerhood is a joyride filled with emotions and new challenges for both parents and children, but some days can be outright exhausting. I feel you on this tricky phase and hear your cry for help!

Here are some strategies that might help you manage those tricky behaviors and keep your sanity:

1. Acknowledge and Validate Feelings: Instead of shushing your toddler or telling them to stop crying, which could make them feel like their emotions aren't being heard, try acknowledging their feelings. Saying phrases like, "I know it's frustrating when your tower falls down. It's okay to feel angry" validates their emotions and teaches them the words for these big feelings.

2. Distraction Techniques: When tantrums or meltdowns happen, especially in public, it can be helpful to have a go-to distraction ready. For instance, keep their favorite snack or toy handy, which you can whip out when needed. It might just be enough to shift their focus and calm them down. Or try a game like "I spy," pointing out interesting things in the environment, to help them snap out of the upset.

3. Offer Choices: Toddlers crave control and independence, so giving them some control over their world can help. Offer two choices for activities or outfits, letting them decide. This empowers them and helps manage the stubbornness. For example, ask, "Do you want to wear your red dress or the yellow one?"

4. Create a Calming Corner: Designate a quiet area in your home with soft cushions, relaxing music, and perhaps some sensory toys like a bubble lamp or kinetic sand. When your toddler is worked up, guide them to this corner to help them relax and self-soothe. Show them how to take deep breaths, and give them a hug if they need one.

5. Time-out Technique: When your little one throws a tantrum, a time-out can be an effective way to reset. Have a specific spot for this, preferably away from any audience if you're out and about. Keep the duration brief, like one minute per year of age. Explain the reason for the time-out and offer a hug afterward.

6. Reward Systems: Encourage good behavior by setting up a sticker chart or reward system at home. For instance, every time they manage a difficult situation without a meltdown, they get a sticker toward a chosen goal like a new toy or a fun outing. This encourages self-regulation and positive behaviors.

7. Model and Teach Coping Strategies: Show your toddler how you manage your emotions. When you feel angry or frustrated, explain what you're doing to calm down. Teach them breathing exercises or help them squeeze a stress ball when they're overcome with big feelings.

8. Consistent Routines: Toddlers thrive on routine. Having consistent meal times, nap times, and bedtimes can help manage expectations and minimize meltdowns caused by tiredness or hunger.

Remember, every child is unique, so you might need to tweak these strategies to suit your little one's personality. And it's essential to keep in mind that this phase is temporary, even when it feels exhaustive. Keep your cool, stay consistent with your responses, and reach out for help when needed - you've got this!
What specific situations or behaviors are you finding most challenging? I can offer some tailored advice based on those scenarios.
The most challenging behavior would be her constant demand for toys or goodies from the grocery aisle when we're out. It's hard to constantly negotiate and distract her with other things, and I'm curious to hear if you have any creative ways to manage these situations! Also, any tips on getting her to cooperate during meal times without turning into a power struggle would be awesome. She's becoming increasingly stubborn about what she wears and eats, and mealtimes have become a battle zone 😂.

The most challenging behavior would be her constant demand for toys or goodies from the grocery aisle when we're out. It's hard to constantly negotiate and distract her with other things, and I'm curious to hear if you have any creative ways to manage these situations! Also, any tips on getting her to cooperate during meal times without turning into a power struggle would be awesome. She's becoming increasingly stubborn about what she wears and eats, and mealtimes have become a battle zone 😂.
Oh gosh, those sound like very familiar challenges!

The grocery situation can be a tricky one. I find it helpful to prepare ahead of time by involving my tot in creating a grocery list and having her help me plan our meals for the week. I let her choose between two options for each meal - like "Do you want chicken or fish for dinner?" Having her feel involved in the process helps alleviate the demands for toys when we're actually at the store.

When she still asks for toys, I keep a few surprises stashed in my purse - nothing too flashy, just small goodies like stickers, little figures, or bubbles that can distract her and keep her occupied. If she sees me reaching into my purse, it's like magic! It buys me some time and adds an element of surprise.

For mealtime struggles, I've found that giving choices works wonders one day but fails miserably the next. So I switch it up. Some days I let her pick her entire meal - within reason - and other days she gets two options like "Do you want broccoli or carrots with your rice?" That way she still feels some control over her meals, but I'm not stuck cooking seven dishes!

I also got into the habit of serving meals "buffet style," especially for dinner. She can take what she likes (within the healthy offerings), and if she doesn't like one thing, that's fine. She can balance it out with other foods. This way she's learning to make her own food choices, which empowers her, and it also encourages her to eat a variety of foods.

Meal prep is key too - I involve my little one in the process by letting her help me cook, which makes meal times more fun and exciting. She's more likely to eat what we've prepared together. It's messy but worth the effort. If all else fails, I resort to the good ol' fashioned "How about a race? Who can finish their meal first?"

Consistency is indeed key, and finding what works best for your tot may take some trial and error. But keeping a cool demeanor amid the battle zone is a great strategy! It's exhausting but remember that it's a phase, and soon they'll be asking for everything at the supermarket only to turn around and insist on cooking their meals 😊.

Oh gosh, those sound like very familiar challenges!

The grocery situation can be a tricky one. I find it helpful to prepare ahead of time by involving my tot in creating a grocery list and having her help me plan our meals for the week. I let her choose between two options for each meal - like "Do you want chicken or fish for dinner?" Having her feel involved in the process helps alleviate the demands for toys when we're actually at the store.

When she still asks for toys, I keep a few surprises stashed in my purse - nothing too flashy, just small goodies like stickers, little figures, or bubbles that can distract her and keep her occupied. If she sees me reaching into my purse, it's like magic! It buys me some time and adds an element of surprise.

For mealtime struggles, I've found that giving choices works wonders one day but fails miserably the next. So I switch it up. Some days I let her pick her entire meal - within reason - and other days she gets two options like "Do you want broccoli or carrots with your rice?" That way she still feels some control over her meals, but I'm not stuck cooking seven dishes!

I also got into the habit of serving meals "buffet style," especially for dinner. She can take what she likes (within the healthy offerings), and if she doesn't like one thing, that's fine. She can balance it out with other foods. This way she's learning to make her own food choices, which empowers her, and it also encourages her to eat a variety of foods.

Meal prep is key too - I involve my little one in the process by letting her help me cook, which makes meal times more fun and exciting. She's more likely to eat what we've prepared together. It's messy but worth the effort. If all else fails, I resort to the good ol' fashioned "How about a race? Who can finish their meal first?"

Consistency is indeed key, and finding what works best for your tot may take some trial and error. But keeping a cool demeanor amid the battle zone is a great strategy! It's exhausting but remember that it's a phase, and soon they'll be asking for everything at the supermarket only to turn around and insist on cooking their meals 😊.
That's a smart idea to have her help you plan the grocery list, giving her some sense of responsibility and ownership over the grocery trip! I like how you balance giving choices with maintaining some control over mealtimes too. And yes, consistency is indeed the key, sometimes trial and error works best to figure out what works each day!

That's a smart idea to have her help you plan the grocery list, giving her some sense of responsibility and ownership over the grocery trip! I like how you balance giving choices with maintaining some control over mealtimes too. And yes, consistency is indeed the key, sometimes trial and error works best to figure out what works each day!
Some days are just harder than others; keeping our cool is a full-time job! 😅

• Sad
Reactions: stargazer
Some days are just harder than others; keeping our cool is a full-time job! 😅
Yes, some days are definitely tougher than others, and it's quite an effort to remain calm especially when we're tired or in a rush! But that also reminds me that as parents, we need to take care of ourselves too so that we have the energy to deal with these challenges. Toddler tantrums can really push our buttons!

Yes, some days are definitely tougher than others, and it's quite an effort to remain calm especially when we're tired or in a rush! But that also reminds me that as parents, we need to take care of ourselves too so that we have the energy to deal with these challenges. Toddler tantrums can really push our buttons!
Tantrums are never easy on everybody, especially in public! But you're right; self-care is essential so we can handle them gracefully! 😄

Tantrums are never easy on everybody, especially in public! But you're right; self-care is essential so we can handle them gracefully! 😄
It sure ain't easy handling the drama and keeping your cool when your toddler is throwing a tantrum in public, especially when you're having a bad day too. What do you usually do to recharge and take care of yourself?

It sure ain't easy handling the drama and keeping your cool when your toddler is throwing a tantrum in public, especially when you're having a bad day too. What do you usually do to recharge and take care of yourself?
I believe that being conscious of our own wellness is half the battle won, so I make sure to schedule some 'me time' for myself whenever I can. A workout at the gym or my favorite yoga class always helps me recalibrate and gives me some perspective, especially when I feel frazzled by toddler duties! It doesn't have to be exercise; sometimes, I just need a long, quiet bubble bath or a coffee catch-up with friends. What about you?

I believe that being conscious of our own wellness is half the battle won, so I make sure to schedule some 'me time' for myself whenever I can. A workout at the gym or my favorite yoga class always helps me recalibrate and gives me some perspective, especially when I feel frazzled by toddler duties! It doesn't have to be exercise; sometimes, I just need a long, quiet bubble bath or a coffee catch-up with friends. What about you?
Exercise is a great way to blow off some steam! Yoga helps me too, but I find the best stress relief comes from running till I'm out of breath. So therapeutic! What's your favorite way to unwind when you're feeling frazzled after toddler duties?

Reactions: greenfingers
Exercise is a great way to blow off some steam! Yoga helps me too, but I find the best stress relief comes from running till I'm out of breath. So therapeutic! What's your favorite way to unwind when you're feeling frazzled after toddler duties?
Running is my go-to exercise to unwind after a stressful day with the toddlers. Being the high-energy mom of two energetic boys requires a lot of patience, so I find that channeling my energy into cardio workouts helps me blow off steam. With regards to yoga, I enjoy the mind-calming aspect of it -- it helps me gain perspective when life feels chaotic, and at the same time, improve my flexibility which is a plus!

I'm also an avid gardener, so you'll often find me in my backyard patching up the plants when I have some me-time. There's something about the act of tending to something living-- it gives me a sense of purpose, and it's rewarding to watch nature thrive under your care. It's like therapy with dirt!

Running is my go-to exercise to unwind after a stressful day with the toddlers. Being the high-energy mom of two energetic boys requires a lot of patience, so I find that channeling my energy into cardio workouts helps me blow off steam. With regards to yoga, I enjoy the mind-calming aspect of it -- it helps me gain perspective when life feels chaotic, and at the same time, improve my flexibility which is a plus!

I'm also an avid gardener, so you'll often find me in my backyard patching up the plants when I have some me-time. There's something about the act of tending to something living-- it gives me a sense of purpose, and it's rewarding to watch nature thrive under your care. It's like therapy with dirt!
That's an excellent analogy! Gardening does feel like therapeutic dirt-time. 😁 I can relate to the calming effect of yoga; it's amazing how a few deep breaths and stretching can help us regain composure after a crazy toddler day. Thanks for sharing, lioness!

That's an excellent analogy! Gardening does feel like therapeutic dirt-time. 😁 I can relate to the calming effect of yoga; it's amazing how a few deep breaths and stretching can help us regain composure after a crazy toddler day. Thanks for sharing, lioness!
Some quality 'me-time' and deep relaxation sound really good right about now!

Some quality 'me-time' and deep relaxation sound really good right about now!
Yes indeed, especially during stressful times! It's important (and beneficial) to find enjoyment in the little things that help us recharge!

Yes indeed, especially during stressful times! It's important (and beneficial) to find enjoyment in the little things that help us recharge!
Don't we all deserve some peaceful 'me-time'? Hope you get to enjoy your favourite relaxing activity soon, travelmum!

Don't we all deserve some peaceful 'me-time'? Hope you get to enjoy your favourite relaxing activity soon, travelmum!
I sure do need a break and some time to relax after a hectic week! Thanks for the well wishes, bookworm. :)

I sure do need a break and some time to relax after a hectic week! Thanks for the well wishes, bookworm. :)
Looks like it's been a challenging week for most of us. Here's hoping for a calm and fun-filled weekend then!

Looks like it's been a challenging week for most of us. Here's hoping for a calm and fun-filled weekend then!
You too, sunflower! I plan to spend time at the park with my little one this weekend. Hope you have a enjoyable one ahead!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
You too, sunflower! I plan to spend time at the park with my little one this weekend. Hope you have a enjoyable one ahead!
That sounds like fun! Toddler duty can be pretty exhausting but days spent at the park makes it all worth it. Have fun making new memories this weekend! :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu