• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

What's your favorite toy or book from when you were younger? Did you have a special stuffed animal or action figure that went everywhere with you? What books did you beg your parents to read over and over again?

I'll go first! My favorite toy was this bright pink stuffed dolphin named Cuddles that I took absolutely everywhere - even the grocery store! My mom had to sew Cuddles' eye back on numerous times. I also loved The Berenstein Bears books, especially the one where they go camping because my family went camping a lot.

What are your toy and book stories?

Reactions: doctormama
Hello everyone!

What's your favorite toy or book from when you were younger? Did you have a special stuffed animal or action figure that went everywhere with you? What books did you beg your parents to read over and over again?

I'll go first! My favorite toy was this bright pink stuffed dolphin named Cuddles that I took absolutely everywhere - even the grocery store! My mom had to sew Cuddles' eye back on numerous times. I also loved The Berenstein Bears books, especially the one where they go camping because my family went camping a lot.

My favourite toy was an anime plushie. It was from a series called Pokemon - he was yellow with red cheeks, and his name was Pikachu. I called him Pika though, and he was the cutest thing ever! He went everywhere with me, and my mom also had to do some emergency sewing on him a couple of times. I think the foot fell off most frequently. As for books, anything by Dr. Seuss was a winner! I loved the zany words and crazy illustrations, and my dad would make it into a little song as he read, so it felt like we were watching a musical.

Hello everyone!

I was never much of a doll person, surprisingly. Books were (and still are) more my thing. I devoured the Goosebumps series growing up; I think my favorite was either "The Ghost Next Door" or one of the many Terror Trilogy books. I also enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown and its creative mysteries that you could solve along with the main character.

My daughter, on the hand, loves her stuffed bunny, which goes everywhere with her, including the supermarket. She calls it 'Bun' and is incredibly attached to it, which is adorable. She's also into the classic Corduroy bear story, a cute tale about a bear who feels insecure about his button eye and gets a new one at the end– quite the adventure! Kids' tastes are so cute and interesting.

Hello everyone!

My favourite toy was a soft-toy dog that my granny gifted me when I was four. Its fur was super fluffy, and it had this lovable, cute face with black button eyes and a blue ribbon around its neck. I named him Bluey, and he was my constant companion for many years! He's unfortunately lost his charm now that I'm older, but back then, he was the star of all my pretend play scenarios.

I also loved story time, especially The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The vibrant illustrations and the journey of the little caterpillar's growth never failed to amaze me. I think that story is still a timeless classic!

Hello everyone!

I didn't have many toys or stuffed animals as a kid, but I was obsessed with this one book - 'The Secret Garden' which had beautiful illustrations and an enchanting story that sparked my imagination. As for toys, I mostly remember playing with Legos and building intricate creations with my older brother. We created whole cities and storylines with our LEGO people.

Hello everyone!

My favourite toy was a handmade soft doll crafted by my granny. It had a removable dress so it could be changed, and its plastic beads eyes needed occasional re-stitching too. I also loved the book series, 'Fairytales of Oz', and constantly begged my mom to read them to me; especially The Wizard of Oz.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Hello everyone!

My favourite toy was a soft plush pink rabbit, which I named BunBun. It was so cute and huggable, with fluffy cotton for its tail and a rainbow bow tied around its neck. I had it everywhere except when I went to school because it was so big! The stuffed bunny was such a dear friend that I didn't want anyone else playing with it, even though it meant I had no one to share my playtime. Mom had a hard time keeping me away from it during meal times.

I loved picture books with lots of colorful illustrations, especially those with animals as characters. One of them was *Goodnight Little Me* with its sweet and catchy rhymes and the cozy theme of getting ready for bed and dreamland adventures. I also enjoyed the stories of Charlie Brown and Snoopy; their adventures were so imaginative!

What about you? Did you have a favorite comic strip or storyline that you loved as a kid?

Reactions: travelmum
Hello everyone!

I had a stuffed doll named Emily that I carted around everywhere - she even had her own special seatbelt in the car. My mum grew so tired of hearing me beg for her that she started to call her "Annoying Emily". By the time I outgrew her, Emily had one glass eye and a stitched-up face from numerous operations.

No camping trips for me; my favourite book was a tattered copy of Little Women that I never grew tired of reading. Each daughter in the story felt so real to me, probably because my mum would assign each character to different family members when she read it to us.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
My favourite toy was an anime plushie. It was from a series called Pokemon - he was yellow with red cheeks, and his name was Pikachu. I called him Pika though, and he was the cutest thing ever! He went everywhere with me, and my mom also had to do some emergency sewing on him a couple of times. I think the foot fell off most frequently. As for books, anything by Dr. Seuss was a winner! I loved the zany words and crazy illustrations, and my dad would make it into a little song as he read, so it felt like we were watching a musical.
Dr.Seuss is a classic! The rhythm and rhyme scheme of his works are so fun to read aloud. My kids love Green Eggs and Ham and The Lorax too!

Dr. Seuss is awesome! His rhythmic and whacky poetry certainly makes reading fun. My kids also enjoyed his books, especially Hop on Pop. The lyrics your dad added must have made it extra special and memorble.

Dr. Seuss's books are awesome! Their rhythmic and whimsical language is a joy to read aloud.

Dr.Seuss is fun to read The rhymes and whimsical plots are entertaining for the little ones.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I never went in for those fancy, expensive plush toys. My son had a whole menagerie of animal soft toys, most of which I bought at dollar stores. He didn't differentiate between them and had no favourite either. Tossed them all into the toy bucket and was happy to play with whichever one happened to be on top. Books? He devoured them but wasn't fussy about the stories or begged to read any particular titles over and over again. The kid just loved books, that's it. At one stage, he was into Captain Underpants and anything by Roald Dahl, but that wasn't an everyday thing.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I was never much of a doll person, surprisingly. Books were (and still are) more my thing. I devoured the Goosebumps series growing up; I think my favorite was either "The Ghost Next Door" or one of the many Terror Trilogy books. I also enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown and its creative mysteries that you could solve along with the main character.

My daughter, on the hand, loves her stuffed bunny, which goes everywhere with her, including the supermarket. She calls it 'Bun' and is incredibly attached to it, which is adorable. She's also into the classic Corduroy bear story, a cute tale about a bear who feels insecure about his button eye and gets a new one at the end– quite the adventure! Kids' tastes are so cute and interesting.
My daughter also had a favourite stuffed toy - a sheep that we won together at the arcade. We named her Fluffy, and my little one took her everywhere for the longest time! It's heartwarming to see how much these toys mean to children.

I enjoyed reading the Magic School Bus books. They were so entertaining and educational, with all those wacky adventures Ms Frizzle would take her class on. I remember watching the TV show too, which was equally fun!

Reactions: mamamia

That's sweet of her bunny named Bun. I think a lot of kids get attached to a specific toy; it's adorable how they form such deep bonds with their comfort objects.

I've not heard of Corduroy Bear before, but it does sound like a cute story! There's something about children's books and their innocence that's so charming and heartwarming.

Yes isn't it fascinating how every child has their own unique taste even at such young ages? toys and books with themes of companionship seem to be comforting and appealing to little ones! Corduroy sounds adorable, I might get that for my kiddo! Are there any other recommendations you'd give for younger kids' literature?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

The Goosebumps series left an impression on many kids, including yourself and your daughter! It's interesting how different generations can enjoy similar toys and books. Corduroy is a heartwarming story with an encouraging message, a classic for every shelf.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
My favourite toy was a soft-toy dog that my granny gifted me when I was four. Its fur was super fluffy, and it had this lovable, cute face with black button eyes and a blue ribbon around its neck. I named him Bluey, and he was my constant companion for many years! He's unfortunately lost his charm now that I'm older, but back then, he was the star of all my pretend play scenarios.

I also loved story time, especially The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The vibrant illustrations and the journey of the little caterpillar's growth never failed to amaze me. I think that story is still a timeless classic!
That's heartwarming to hear about Bluey, such a cute and faithful companion! I remember The Very Hungry Caterpillar too, such a colourful and catchy book with a sweet message about transformation, no wonder it captivated you! Eric Carle's illustration style is so distinctive and delightful. Do your children enjoy it too?

That hungry caterpillar book is a timeless favourite among the preschool crowd. The vivid pictures and the story's message about transformation (literally!) are engaging for the little ones.

Bluey sounds adorable! It's interesting how these stuffed toys become trusted companions for many of us at some point in our lives.

I never grew out of liking picture books, so the illustrations in children's books are always something I take note of. That's why Carle's work stood out to me as a kid– his illustrations are so vivid and whimsical. *The Very Lonely Firefly* is another beautiful story with fantastic pictures that appealed to my sense of wonder as a child.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu