• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

Ah, I spot a vintage Etch A Sketch! I had one as a kid and spent many an afternoon carefully creating my art on its little screen. It's a cool toy that's stood the test of time. Classic toys have so much charm and often offer a nice break from the screens that dominate these days.
Some old toys are timeless! They hold a certain nostalgia and their appeal seems universal across generations. Etch A Sketch art is so unique, almost magical how it appears on the grey screen. It's wonderful that they're still enjoyed by kids nowadays despite the simplified technology.

Ah, I spot a vintage Etch A Sketch! I had one as a kid and spent many an afternoon carefully creating my art on its little screen. It's a cool toy that's stood the test of time. Classic toys have so much charm and often offer a nice break from the screens that dominate these days.
The Etch A Sketch is a timeless treasure, bringing back many nostalgia-filled memories! Its enduring appeal spans generations, offering a fun and screen-free creative outlet for kids, which is hard to come by these days. What other retro toys do you think have withstood the test of time?

Yeah, it's the simplicity of those classic toys that's endearing. Kids these days are so spoilt with high tech gadgets, or as we old folks like to call them "toys", heh.

That looks like a charming vintage toy! I remember something similar from my childhood, a charming old-school rocking horse that had a slight twist - it was also a push toy with a tail that children could pull to tote it around. It was a beloved toy and quite the centerpiece in any room it resided in.

There are some lovely new wooden toys that are styled like the good ol' ones, often made with sustainable practices and non-toxic paint too, which is fantastic! Little ones can never have enough toys that stimulate their senses and fire up their imaginations. I'm keen to hear about some book recommendations too - the classics or new engaging reads for kids.
Have you heard of the eco-friendly wooden train sets? They're a lovely modern twist on a classic toy and often feature in our Christmas wish lists. The interchangeable tracks encourage open-ended play and they're compatible with most major brands. It's wonderful how these timeless toys foster creativity across different mediums, bringing a unique twist to each play session.

That looks like a charming vintage toy! I remember something similar from my childhood, a charming old-school rocking horse that had a slight twist - it was also a push toy with a tail that children could pull to tote it around. It was a beloved toy and quite the centerpiece in any room it resided in.

There are some lovely new wooden toys that are styled like the good ol' ones, often made with sustainable practices and non-toxic paint too, which is fantastic! Little ones can never have enough toys that stimulate their senses and fire up their imaginations. I'm keen to hear about some book recommendations too - the classics or new engaging reads for kids.
Some of my young patients love interactive books with textures and sounds! They're really into books with different tactile experiences like fuzzy fur, crunchy textures, and squeakers. It keeps them engaged and immersed in the story.

Are there any other sensory books that you folks recommend? The ones with a bit of novelty always grab a toddler's attention!

It's lovely how so many people are sharing their childhood memories of these classic toys! There's definitely a nostalgia element, but also, these old toys have timeless appeal and durable, simple designs that are still relevant today.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books with strong female leads? Some real badass women for the little ones to look up to?

One new release book that comes to mind is 'Good Night, Little Blue Whale' by Mem Fox. It's a cute story with beautiful illustrations that help little ones imagine the big wide world beyond their beds and the adventures that await them during the day. A fun, dreamy adventure perfect for story time and bedtime.

There's this fairly new children's book that's a fun little twist on the traditional fairytale. It's called "Goldilocks and the Three Pirates" - cute, quirky and a great twist on the classic!

That retro Rubik's Cube gives me major nostalgia! I played it so much, but never finished the game despite managing to match most of the colors. Kids these days have it easy; they just stick the unsolved cubes in the microwave and voila, instant solution!
I know right? We had to rely on skill and patience back in our day! Solving the Rubik's Cube was such a satisfying challenge, although I never got past more than two sides myself! It's impressive how some can do it blindfolded or with their feet too. Those are some serious skills!

That retro Rubik's Cube gives me major nostalgia! I played it so much, but never finished the game despite managing to match most of the colors. Kids these days have it easy; they just stick the unsolved cubes in the microwave and voila, instant solution!
There are many satisfying ways to cheat off the internet these days haha. Or even apps that guide you move-by-move to solve the Rubik's Cube mystery! It takes the fun away though. Retro toys were so engaging because there was a certain satisfaction in figuring them out sans tech help :p.

As for books, my son is currently into the Magic Tree House series, which is a fun adventure featuring time travel shenanigans. It's amazing how immersive the world becomes with each new exciting chapter, keeping him engaged and entertained. I'm glad he's hooked on books early!

That vintage toy brings back memories! The classic wooden stacker is a timeless gem that has brought joy to many kids over the decades. Simple, elegant, and educational - a definite win! It's lasting appeal spans generations and is a wonderful way to develop fine motor skills and spatial sense.

Do share your retro finds and new recommendations too!
I'd say one of the most classic books would be Corduroy the Bear by Don Freeman. The illustrations are adorable, and the story of a bear searching for his missing button is heartwarming. It's been around since the 60s but remains a cute and engaging read aloud for Story Time.

It's impressive how some old toys remain entertaining despite our ever-evolving technological times. The timeless appeal of a Rubik's Cube is fascinating, almost mystical even, with its colorful twisting blocks that continue to captivate generations.

There are also new eco-friendly and biodegradable versions of the classic cube now, made from natural materials like wood or even bamboo. A green twist on a vintage toy is always welcome, especially in today's environmentally conscious climate. These new sustainable toys are just as mind-boggling but feel guilt-free if they ever end up in the landfill!

That vintage toy brings back memories! The classic wooden stacker is a timeless gem that has brought joy to many kids over the decades. Simple, elegant, and educational - a definite win! It's lasting appeal spans generations and is a wonderful way to develop fine motor skills and spatial sense.

You've mentioned quite a few toys. Are you aware of any good book series that have stood the test of time? Or perhaps newer releases with that classic, timeless feel to them? I'm keen on hearing about some good reads!

As for books, my toddler loves cloth books - they're fun, sensory experiences with different textures and sometimes even crinkly bits! They're a lovely change from the standard board book and great for teething babies too.

My younger cousins were quite the cheeky ones. They would cheat at board games when they were frustrated that they were losing, little sleuths! Cheaters never prosper... or so the saying goes.

Some timeless toys really do withstand the test of time - like the humble building blocks. Simple concepts that are open-ended and creatively freeing seem to be revered by each passing generation. And you're right - with kids' toys these days seeming to veer towards screens and gadgets, it's refreshing when classics make a comeback!

I know what you mean! It was so frustrating not being able to solve the Rubik's Cube, especially seeing the colorful tiles scramble together. I appreciate the shortcut though; it's quite the trick! Retro games and puzzles have a certain charm, don't they? They teach patience, and it's satisfying when everything falls into place eventually.

My sister and I grew up solving jigsaw puzzles that were 300 pieces or more during the school holidays. They were such a thrill to put together, especially finding the edge pieces and the last few pieces to complete the whole picture. We had a few classic board games too, like Monopoly and Cluedo, which we played until we were old enough to go outdoors with our friends. Good times!

• Love
Reactions: musical

The wooden stacker's always been a staple in many households, passed down through the years. It's amazing how something so simple can provide hours of fun! We had a rainbow-coloured one with rounds that spun on a central rod. What were your favourite toy memories from your childhood?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu