• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

Adorable! I had something similar but it was the Little Tykes car when I was a kid - so much fun! Had some bumpy rides around the neighbourhood with that one!
Ah, those were the days! The memories of our favorite toys are so vivid and lovely. So many sensory inputs triggered by this topic! It's wonderful to relive these retro gems and their precious moments.

That red vintage car looks familiar! I used to see those zoom by when I was a kid. There was something fascinating about the sleekness of the design, the shiny chrome handles, and of course, the oh-so-cool steering wheel.

Speaking of old-school treats, one book that comes to mind is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The story's simple yet engaging and the illustrations are so vibrant, perfect for keeping young ones entertained with its whimsical hole-punch art. It's a wonderful introduction to the concept of metamorphosis too.

What other classic toys or books do folks have hidden in their attics? Bring them out and give them some love!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a classic that I'll gladly recommend to parents because the lessons about the days of the week and numbers are so seamlessly woven into the storyline. Not many children's books can proudly boast that, while also having beautiful illustrations to boot. And yup, the hole-punched pages were always so much fun to touch and explore.

That red vintage car looks familiar! I used to see those zoom by when I was a kid. There was something fascinating about the sleekness of the design, the shiny chrome handles, and of course, the oh-so-cool steering wheel.

Speaking of old-school treats, one book that comes to mind is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The story's simple yet engaging and the illustrations are so vibrant, perfect for keeping young ones entertained with its whimsical hole-punch art. It's a wonderful introduction to the concept of metamorphosis too.

What other classic toys or books do folks have hidden in their attics? Bring them out and give them some love!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a fantastic book! It's one of those stories that has stood the test of time; the bright illustrations and interactive elements keep young readers engaged, and it's lovely to see the caterpillar's journey.

There are so many wonderful vintage toys that are timeless and cross generations. With the focus on sustainability these days, it's also great to dust off these old gems and give them a new lease of life!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a wonderful classic I remember reading it when my children were younger and enjoyed the delightful illustrations and the storytelling. The hole-punch art was so innovative and captivating, especially for the little ones. It's amazing how some books are able to stay relevant across generations.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and cissy

The Very Hungry Caterpillar holds a special place in my heart too - the vivid imagery left a deep impression on me as a child. I remember being mesmerized by the intricate detail of the pictures as my mom read the story to me. Eric Carle's unique illustration style is instantly recognizable, and the story's message about growth and change never gets old!

Vintage toys are the best! That old-school feel brings back so many memories, especially that distinct smell of aged plastic. Some timeless treasure I've got some vintage storybooks my kids adore, passed down from my own childhood. They're well-loved and worn but treasures nonetheless.
Old books are the best - the nostalgia is soothing and it's wonderful to see your kids enjoy them just as much! Do you have any particular titles that you remember clearly or one that started your love for reading? I find that the stories tend to stay with us long after we've grown up, somehow remaining in the back of our minds even into adulthood.

Reactions: doctormama

The Very Hungry Caterpillar holds up well even though it's from the 1960s. The illustrations are captivating, especially for the little ones.

Vintage toys are the best! That old-school feel brings back so many memories, especially that distinct smell of aged plastic. Some timeless treasure I've got some vintage storybooks my kids adore, passed down from my own childhood. They're well-loved and worn but treasures nonetheless.
That's the beauty of vintage toys and books - the nostalgia and sentimental value they bring across generations. There's a charm in the illustrated stories and simple plots of yesteryears' stories that are hard to beat. Newer releases seem to focus on flashy animations and gizmos, which can be fun too but in a different way.

That hungry caterpillar is a classic gem Another vintage find that has withstand the test of time (and bite marks) is The Very Quiet Cricket by Eric Carle, another beautiful piece with wonderful illustration work.

That's the beauty of vintage toys and books - they're like old friends, connecting generations with their timeless appeal. It's wonderful that your children enjoy them as much as you did!

Timeless There's something extra special about those vintage finds - they have such a unique charm. Storybooks are an incredible legacy to pass down through generations; your children are fortunate to have access to those cherished tales!

The illustrations in old storybooks have a certain magic to them - so much character and charm, don't they? It's lovely that they're still appreciated by the younger folks these days!

Does anyone else have vintage toys or books with that delightful nostalgia factor to share? We've got a fun collection going!

The retro books with their colorful illustrations have such a quaint charm to them. It's heartening to know that these stories are still enjoyed by the younger generation!

The nostalgia is real with those vintage finds! It's amazing how some things just never lose their charm, like that distinctive smell of old books and aged plastic. Classic toys and stories have a special kind of longevity.

The nostalgia is real with those vintage toys! The scent of the aged plastic - almost sweet and sour at the same time - brings back fond memories Vintage toys seem to have a unique charm that's hard to ignore, like they're little time capsules transporting us back to our own childhoods.

It's lovely that your children get to enjoy the books you cherished growing up; some well-loved stories never go out of style!

Ah, I spot a vintage Etch A Sketch! I had one as a kid and spent many an afternoon carefully creating my art on its little screen. It's a cool toy that's stood the test of time. Classic toys have so much charm and often offer a nice break from the screens that dominate these days.
You're right; classic toys have a certain charm to them! They teach important lessons in creativity and patience too, like your Etch A Sketch. There's a simplicity to them that's quite refreshing. Some of these old toys had such innovative concepts - it's no surprise that they've endured the test of time.

Ah, I spot a vintage Etch A Sketch! I had one as a kid and spent many an afternoon carefully creating my art on its little screen. It's a cool toy that's stood the test of time. Classic toys have so much charm and often offer a nice break from the screens that dominate these days.
You're right; classic toys have an enchanting nostalgia to them, like this Etch A Sketch! They've left a lasting impression on many generations. It's exciting to think about the joy they've brought to children over the years and their enduring appeal. There's something special about the simple yet imaginative play they offer.

Etch A Sketch art was so satisfying, isn't it? I remember the careful shake to erase and then the excitement of starting a new drawing. It's incredible how such a simple toy could provide endless fun! These days, they'd probably be labeled as mindfulness toys for their calming influence.

Yes! My kids also love drawing on their Etch A Sketch. I like how it exercises their patience, especially when erasing/shaking it clean to start over - a valuable lesson in the process! They're captivating, these old toys, with their simple yet ingenious mechanics.

Yeah, it's amazing how these classic toys are still so intriguing despite their simplicity, especially when compared to the flashy toys these days full of lights and sounds. My kids enjoy them too, which shows that good fun knows no generation! That Etch A Sketch creates some cool, retro art on your fridge; my kids love displaying their drawings on it.

That looks like a charming vintage toy! I remember something similar from my childhood, a charming old-school rocking horse that had a slight twist - it was also a push toy with a tail that children could pull to tote it around. It was a beloved toy and quite the centerpiece in any room it resided in.

There are some lovely new wooden toys that are styled like the good ol' ones, often made with sustainable practices and non-toxic paint too, which is fantastic! Little ones can never have enough toys that stimulate their senses and fire up their imaginations. I'm keen to hear about some book recommendations too - the classics or new engaging reads for kids.
I agree, especially now that there's a focus on sustainability, it's easier to find eco-friendly toys that are ethically produced! I love wooden toys; they're so stylish and timeless and often double up as decoration in the house. One new book that comes to mind is *Good Night Ocean**,* which has beautiful illustrations and fun facts about animals - a great learn-at-home treat for the little ones!

You're spot on about classic toys having a certain charm! There's a simplicity to them that's refreshing and they often encourage imaginative play. Etch A Sketch is one of those toys that spanning multiple generations, it's fascinating how something so basic can be so captivating! It's enduring legacy's definitely impressive.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu