• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm loving this topic! We're going old-school with some classic toys and books - what's everyone's thoughts? Looking forward to seeing some retro finds and also hearing about new releases/recommendations too.

Let's kick things off!

[Insert image of a vintage toy.]

• Love
Reactions: cissy and happyfeet
I'm loving this topic! We're going old-school with some classic toys and books - what's everyone's thoughts? Looking forward to seeing some retro finds and also hearing about new releases/recommendations too.

Let's kick things off!

Adorable! I had something similar but it was the Little Tykes car when I was a kid - so much fun! Had some bumpy rides around the neighbourhood with that one!

Let's kick things off!

That red vintage car looks familiar! I used to see those zoom by when I was a kid. There was something fascinating about the sleekness of the design, the shiny chrome handles, and of course, the oh-so-cool steering wheel.

Speaking of old-school treats, one book that comes to mind is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The story's simple yet engaging and the illustrations are so vibrant, perfect for keeping young ones entertained with its whimsical hole-punch art. It's a wonderful introduction to the concept of metamorphosis too.

What other classic toys or books do folks have hidden in their attics? Bring them out and give them some love!

Let's kick things off!

Vintage toys are the best! That old-school feel brings back so many memories, especially that distinct smell of aged plastic. Some timeless treasure I've got some vintage storybooks my kids adore, passed down from my own childhood. They're well-loved and worn but treasures nonetheless.

• Love
Reactions: joyful

Let's kick things off!

Ah, I spot a vintage Etch A Sketch! I had one as a kid and spent many an afternoon carefully creating my art on its little screen. It's a cool toy that's stood the test of time. Classic toys have so much charm and often offer a nice break from the screens that dominate these days.

Let's kick things off!

That looks like a charming vintage toy! I remember something similar from my childhood, a charming old-school rocking horse that had a slight twist - it was also a push toy with a tail that children could pull to tote it around. It was a beloved toy and quite the centerpiece in any room it resided in.

There are some lovely new wooden toys that are styled like the good ol' ones, often made with sustainable practices and non-toxic paint too, which is fantastic! Little ones can never have enough toys that stimulate their senses and fire up their imaginations. I'm keen to hear about some book recommendations too - the classics or new engaging reads for kids.

Let's kick things off!

That retro Rubik's Cube gives me major nostalgia! I played it so much, but never finished the game despite managing to match most of the colors. Kids these days have it easy; they just stick the unsolved cubes in the microwave and voila, instant solution!

Let's kick things off!

That vintage toy brings back memories! The classic wooden stacker is a timeless gem that has brought joy to many kids over the decades. Simple, elegant, and educational - a definite win! It's lasting appeal spans generations and is a wonderful way to develop fine motor skills and spatial sense.

Do share your retro finds and new recommendations too!

Let's kick things off!

That Kickee Bee is an adorable blast from the past! I loved those little toy bees that you could wind up and then watch zooming off once you let go. Mine always flew under the sofa or sometimes into a corner, but retrieving it was half the fun.

As for books, I have a beloved copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that I bought secondhand as a child. I cherish the worn-out pages and the illustrations are simply timeless; Eric Carle's world-famous pictures still excite me. My four-year-old adores it too, which is a lovely connection we share.

What other retro toys left a lasting impression on you all? And are there any new toys or books that have captured your little one's hearts recently?

Let's kick things off!

Ah, I see you've chosen a lovely topic today - who doesn't heartwarming, old-school toys and books with a touch of nostalgia? Brings back so many memories!

One old-school toy that I loved as a kid was the Etch A Sketch. Remember those silver spheres and the satisfying shaking sound they made? It was like magic seeing the drawing appear on the screen. I believe they're still available today, a true testament to classic toys that stand the test of time.

With books, one of my favorites was The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The vibrant pictures and the journey of this cute caterpillar's hungry days were engaging and educational. It's a book that's beloved by many, and for good reason!

Any old favorites that people are bringing out these days? I'm curious to hear about some retro finds!

Reactions: cissy and eternity

Let's kick things off!

That toy looks like one from the good ol' days - simple, cute and likely very durable. Seems like something that could be passed down through the generations. Now, onto the next one... what gem do you have for us today? Don't let us down!

Adorable! I had something similar but it was the Little Tykes car when I was a kid - so much fun! Had some bumpy rides around the neighbourhood with that one!
Ooh, the Little Tikes car is such a cute ride and a classic too! That red and yellow car every kid wanted back in the day. Remember the bumps and scrapes as you rode over any uneven pavement? Good times :)

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I've never heard of Little Tykes! Bumpy rides don't sound very comfortable, heh. But I'm guessing it's probably a cute and quirky toy that's lasted through generations.

That red vintage car looks familiar! I used to see those zoom by when I was a kid. There was something fascinating about the sleekness of the design, the shiny chrome handles, and of course, the oh-so-cool steering wheel.

Speaking of old-school treats, one book that comes to mind is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The story's simple yet engaging and the illustrations are so vibrant, perfect for keeping young ones entertained with its whimsical hole-punch art. It's a wonderful introduction to the concept of metamorphosis too.

What other classic toys or books do folks have hidden in their attics? Bring them out and give them some love!
You bet! The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a timeless story with its colourful and fun illustrations and interactive hole-punched pages that intrigue little ones. Eric Carle's simple yet catchy storytelling is perfect for the younger audience, leaving a lasting impression in its simplicity.

Toys and books from our own childhoods have a certain nostalgia and charm that's hard to beat. It's wonderful how these classics continue to delight generations of kids!

Ah, those Little Tikes cars are adorable and such a staple from our own childhoods! They seem to be making a comeback these days - they're still popular with little ones. There's just something about their charming simplicity and durability that stands the test of time. The bright colors and adorable designs never fail to put a smile on anyone's face.

It's wonderful how these classic toys often have timeless appeal and multiple generations can enjoy them, creating a lovely sense of nostalgia for parents who buy them for their kids now.

Oh nice! A few of my patients have mentioned those Little Tikes cars too - seems like a fun ride! Always a bit jealous of the kids haha. Some good old-school fun is definitely underrated :)

Ah, the Little Tikes car's a cute ride Those were the days - simple yet so enjoyable. Some old school treats never disappoint!

Reactions: wellness
Good to know there's another fan of classic toys! I can still recall the smell of the plastic and the feel of the sleek, curved body as I sat in it, pretending to steering a real car. Those were the days when toy makers focused on making something ruggedly durable, and it has withstood the test of time!

That's the thing about old school toys, they were the best! Simple yet fun and made many happy memories. Parents these days should take note. Unlike the over-stimulating, battery-operated gadgets of today which seem to raise kids instead of the parents.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu