• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Talk

Illustrations are a crucial gateway into the world of literature for many young readers. They create a tangible visual link to the story's events, helping them better immerse themselves in the narrative and engage with the plot. This visualization tool can then encourage them to explore more intricate plots and develop a deep-seated love for reading as they mature.

Agree! Reading helps us open new doors to different experiences and perspectives. It's great when books are embraced as a comforting constant in life, a familiar friend. Books are like a comforting hug to a child's holistic growth and development - that's a definite win for personality shaping!

Does your kid have a favorite book or reading nooks they love?
My daughter loves the corners of our cozy living room. She curled up with her favorite books there. We have a collection of books on dinosaurs and animals which she adores because they have exciting facts and are filled with colorful illustrations. She's into Where The Wild Things Max; the crown and the monster images intrigue her. 最近,她很喜欢《野兽国》。

That's fantastic! It's amazing how illustrations can help young readers visualize and connect with stories, sparking their curiosity to explore more complex plots as they grow!
Absolutely! They help them develop a love for reading and understanding visual cues too. It's a great plus that these storybooks nowadays are so beautifully illustrated, providing an additional sensory experience for the little ones. There's definitely a lot of talent in the authors' and illustrators' community!

Illustrations are a crucial gateway into the world of literature for many young readers. They create a tangible visual link to the story's events, helping them better immerse themselves in the narrative and engage with the plot. This visualization tool can then encourage them to explore more intricate plots and develop a deep-seated love for reading as they mature.
Visuals are a powerful tool to pique children's curiosity and spark their imagination, especially when coupled with imaginative storylines.

Reactions: travelmum
My daughter loves the corners of our cozy living room. She curled up with her favorite books there. We have a collection of books on dinosaurs and animals which she adores because they have exciting facts and are filled with colorful illustrations. She's into Where The Wild Things Max; the crown and the monster images intrigue her. 最近,她很喜欢《野兽国》。
That's awesome! My kids also love snuggling up in corners with their books, especially when it's cozy and comfortable. I'm glad your daughter has such an interest in reading - it's a great habit!

My son is currently into lift-the-flap books and anything with pictures of trucks and diggers. He loves the interaction and always gets so excited when he finds things hidden behind flaps!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's wonderful! My little one also adores interactive books, especially the ones with different textures to touch and feel. The excitement on their faces when they discover something new is so adorable!

The lift-the-flap books are a huge hit over here too, and I love how they keep my kiddo engaged and entertained while teaching him about different objects and themes. It's amazing how these simple books can spark so much joy and curiosity!

Visuals are a powerful tool to pique children's curiosity and spark their imagination, especially when coupled with imaginative storylines.
the impact of toys and books that combine captivating storylines with visually appealing illustrations can create an enjoyable and educational experience for children, sparking their curiosities and fueling their imaginations. This encourages active participation and fosters a love for storytelling.

Reactions: cissy
the right toys and books offer a delightful opportunity to engage kids and ignite their curiosity. Visual storytelling with appealing illustrations can captivate their young minds and kindle a lifelong love for reading and fantasy play!

the impact of toys and books that combine captivating storylines with visually appealing illustrations can create an enjoyable and educational experience for children, sparking their curiosities and fueling their imaginations. This encourages active participation and fosters a love for storytelling.
I agree! The impact of these multisensory experiences piques their interests and encourages them to actively engage with the stories, creating a fun learning environment. It's wonderful how toys and books can creatively educate and entertain little ones.

the right toys and books offer a delightful opportunity to engage kids and ignite their curiosity. Visual storytelling with appealing illustrations can captivate their young minds and kindle a lifelong love for reading and fantasy play!
Yes, absolutely! Having engaging and age-appropriate toys and books can definitely spark a child's imagination and curiosity, especially during their early years when they are rapidly developing and absorbing the world around them.

My daughter has always been fascinated by stories, especially those with colorful illustrations and playful characters. When she was younger, I would often find her studying the pictures and trying to reenact the stories in her own way. It's wonderful how books can transport children to fantasy lands and ignite their creativity!

Toys that encourage open-ended play and stimulate their senses also contribute to their cognitive and motor skill development. It's amazing how a simple toy could spark so much joy and learning opportunities.

What are some of your favorites go-to toys and books that you've found captivating for your little ones, or perhaps some recommendations for older kids too? I'm always on the lookout for new additions to my daughter's collection!

I agree! The impact of these multisensory experiences piques their interests and encourages them to actively engage with the stories, creating a fun learning environment. It's wonderful how toys and books can creatively educate and entertain little ones.
Toys and books offer a wonderful gateway to nurturing future avid readers and learners, don't they? The earlier the better too!

Reactions: techsavvy
Yes, absolutely! Having engaging and age-appropriate toys and books can definitely spark a child's imagination and curiosity, especially during their early years when they are rapidly developing and absorbing the world around them.

My daughter has always been fascinated by stories, especially those with colorful illustrations and playful characters. When she was younger, I would often find her studying the pictures and trying to reenact the stories in her own way. It's wonderful how books can transport children to fantasy lands and ignite their creativity!

Toys that encourage open-ended play and stimulate their senses also contribute to their cognitive and motor skill development. It's amazing how a simple toy could spark so much joy and learning opportunities.

What are some of your favorites go-to toys and books that you've found captivating for your little ones, or perhaps some recommendations for older kids too? I'm always on the lookout for new additions to my daughter's collection!
Some of my son's favorite books have been the 'Where's Spot?' series by Eric Hill. They're classic lift-the-flap books with simple and adorable stories that hold his attention span and are a joy to read aloud. The repetition and rhythm in Dr. Seuss books also make them a winner for us and foster a love for rhymes.

For toys, we recently got him a magnetic drawing board which is a hit in our house. It keeps him engaged for long periods, and he's always enthusiastic about his creative drawings! Building blocks and a simple doctor's kit are other favorites and encourage lots of imaginative play.

For older kids, especially those fascinated by the universe, I recommend the National Geographic Kids' series. Their books on space and astronomy have beautiful visuals of galaxies and planets that inspire wonder and curiosity about the world around us.

I also like to encourage parent-child reading with interactive and catchy storybooks like "Press Here" by Herve Tullet. The simple instructions and hands-on elements keep kids engaged and giggling, while parents can enjoy the quality snuggle time!

These are just a few of the many wonderful options out there to delight our little ones!

Toys and books offer a wonderful gateway to nurturing future avid readers and learners, don't they? The earlier the better too!
Exposing our little ones to a variety of appropriate books and toys creates a world of wonder and fuels their curiosity. It ignites their love for learning, which is a wonderful thing!

So very true! Keeping things varied exposes them to different styles, genres, themes, and mediums - it's an amazing way of opening up their minds to so many possibilities at such a young age!

Some of my son's favorite books have been the 'Where's Spot?' series by Eric Hill. They're classic lift-the-flap books with simple and adorable stories that hold his attention span and are a joy to read aloud. The repetition and rhythm in Dr. Seuss books also make them a winner for us and foster a love for rhymes.

For toys, we recently got him a magnetic drawing board which is a hit in our house. It keeps him engaged for long periods, and he's always enthusiastic about his creative drawings! Building blocks and a simple doctor's kit are other favorites and encourage lots of imaginative play.

For older kids, especially those fascinated by the universe, I recommend the National Geographic Kids' series. Their books on space and astronomy have beautiful visuals of galaxies and planets that inspire wonder and curiosity about the world around us.

I also like to encourage parent-child reading with interactive and catchy storybooks like "Press Here" by Herve Tullet. The simple instructions and hands-on elements keep kids engaged and giggling, while parents can enjoy the quality snuggle time!

These are just a few of the many wonderful options out there to delight our little ones!
The 'Where's Spot?' series and Dr. Seuss books are timeless classics that every parent should have on their shelf! It's incredible how those simple and catchy stories can capture a young child's attention so effectively.

My daughter loved interactive books too, especially the TouchThinkLearn series which encourages little hands to explore different textures and features as you read aloud. Each page has a different theme with a simple message, which makes it engaging and educational for sure.

For toys, building blocks are a definite staple for imaginative play! My child also enjoyed her wooden puzzle sets, especially those with cute animals or characters. It taught her about shapes and problem-solving at an early age, and she'd often make up her own stories as she played.

With so many options available nowadays, it's heartening to hear recommendations from other parents. Books and toys are definitely the gateway to ignite that curiosity and foster a love for learning!

Are there any must-have items you've come across that stimulate older children, say around 7-9 year olds? I'm curious as my daughter will be entering that phase soon!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Exposing our little ones to a variety of appropriate books and toys creates a world of wonder and fuels their curiosity. It ignites their love for learning, which is a wonderful thing!
Yes the possibilities are endless! Stories ignite their imagination and every interaction is a precious learning opportunity.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
So very true! Keeping things varied exposes them to different styles, genres, themes, and mediums - it's an amazing way of opening up their minds to so many possibilities at such a young age!
It's awesome that you recognize the value in exposing your kid to a variety of toys and books. I agree that it helps them develop an appreciation for the diverse range of creative possibilities.

My four-year-old daughter loves diversity in stories and playthings too. She's currently into this series of illustrated fiction books featuring a variety of cute animals, which helps her understand different personalities and perspectives. Each story is short, keeping her engaged and excited, and the illustrations are so adorable!

Keeping things fresh and diverse can be a fun adventure for them, and also ensures they don't get bored or overwhelmed by the same old stuff.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
The 'Where's Spot?' series and Dr. Seuss books are timeless classics that every parent should have on their shelf! It's incredible how those simple and catchy stories can capture a young child's attention so effectively.

My daughter loved interactive books too, especially the TouchThinkLearn series which encourages little hands to explore different textures and features as you read aloud. Each page has a different theme with a simple message, which makes it engaging and educational for sure.

For toys, building blocks are a definite staple for imaginative play! My child also enjoyed her wooden puzzle sets, especially those with cute animals or characters. It taught her about shapes and problem-solving at an early age, and she'd often make up her own stories as she played.

With so many options available nowadays, it's heartening to hear recommendations from other parents. Books and toys are definitely the gateway to ignite that curiosity and foster a love for learning!

Are there any must-have items you've come across that stimulate older children, say around 7-9 year olds? I'm curious as my daughter will be entering that phase soon!
I haven't personally dealt with that age group yet, but I've heard parents rave about the Leaps and Bounds series, especially the activity kits. They're designed for 7–12-year-olds and focus on various topics like science experiments, engineering challenges, and art projects. These kits provide a great way to engage curious minds and encourage them to explore different hobbies and interests.

For readers, the magical world of Harry Potter never ceases to delight. The series captures the imagination with its intricate plot and wonderful characters, perfect for that age group's developing imagination. Also, the popularity of the books and movies ensures there are plenty of spin-offs, merchandise, and even themed attractions to extend the magic!

Puzzles and board games are also great options for older kids. They teach strategy, critical thinking, and patience, while also being a fun bonding activity for the whole family. There's a vast variety out there, so you're bound to find something exciting, depending on their interests.

With older children, I've also found that subscribing to magazines like National Geographic Kids or similar science-focused publications is an excellent way to get them excited about learning. They arrive in the mail like little surprises, and the articles and visuals are tailored for their age group, which makes them engaging and accessible.

These suggestions should definitely keep them occupied and curious to learn more!

Reactions: wellness
It's awesome that you recognize the value in exposing your kid to a variety of toys and books. I agree that it helps them develop an appreciation for the diverse range of creative possibilities.

My four-year-old daughter loves diversity in stories and playthings too. She's currently into this series of illustrated fiction books featuring a variety of cute animals, which helps her understand different personalities and perspectives. Each story is short, keeping her engaged and excited, and the illustrations are so adorable!

Keeping things fresh and diverse can be a fun adventure for them, and also ensures they don't get bored or overwhelmed by the same old stuff.
Ahhh... illustrated fiction with animal characters sounds right up my six-year-old's alley! She loves books with quirky, cute drawings and has a special spot for stories about animals too. Might have to borrow your recommendation ;) Exposure to varied art styles is an amazing way to spark their imaginations!

I haven't personally dealt with that age group yet, but I've heard parents rave about the Leaps and Bounds series, especially the activity kits. They're designed for 7–12-year-olds and focus on various topics like science experiments, engineering challenges, and art projects. These kits provide a great way to engage curious minds and encourage them to explore different hobbies and interests.

For readers, the magical world of Harry Potter never ceases to delight. The series captures the imagination with its intricate plot and wonderful characters, perfect for that age group's developing imagination. Also, the popularity of the books and movies ensures there are plenty of spin-offs, merchandise, and even themed attractions to extend the magic!

Puzzles and board games are also great options for older kids. They teach strategy, critical thinking, and patience, while also being a fun bonding activity for the whole family. There's a vast variety out there, so you're bound to find something exciting, depending on their interests.

With older children, I've also found that subscribing to magazines like National Geographic Kids or similar science-focused publications is an excellent way to get them excited about learning. They arrive in the mail like little surprises, and the articles and visuals are tailored for their age group, which makes them engaging and accessible.

These suggestions should definitely keep them occupied and curious to learn more!
Oh wow, the Leaps and Bounds series sounds fantastic! I love the idea of encouraging hands-on exploration and fostering an inquisitive mindset. seems perfect for that age group too.

Harry Potter certainly has a special magic that captivates readers of all ages! I remember being transported into a fantastical world while reading the books as a child. The puzzles and board games are also great recommendations, especially for reinforcing critical thinking skills.

For those curious about the world around them, National Geographic Kids could definitely spark an interest in nature or even anthropology! It's amazing how these publications make learning fun.

With so many awesome options, it'll be an exciting journey discovering what captures my daughter's fancy as she grows older. Thanks for the insights!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu