• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Talk

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
My children have always loved animals! We've often had animal-themed books on rotation and their favourite soft toys are almost invariably animals too. So many great adventures to be found in the animal kingdom and it's wonderful for them to learn about all these different species - there are some fab educational books that teach kids all about wildlife too. My daughter especially loved the classic storybooks with their beautifully detailed pictures of woodland creatures, and my son enjoyed lifting the flaps to find the farm animals in his favourite lift-the-flap book! It's lovely when they become attached to these stories and toys, almost as if these fictional characters are their friends.

Let's dive right into it!
What are some of your favorite toys from your childhood?

For me, it'd have to be my old Lego sets and my collection of picture books - especially the ones with textured pages. I loved touching the fuzzy fur on the storybook animals!
I also had a cool hand-me-down toy that was a red wooden wagon with blocks and little people. That thing kept me entertained for hours!
What about you?

As a child, I was obsessed with my collection of stuffed animals - I had a menagerie of them! They would often take me on imaginary adventures, and I had different personalities for each one of them. My favourite was an orange teddy bear I named Bloomers; he went everywhere with me and was even featured in family photos.

I also loved my wooden train set. My dad would spend hours helping me build the track into complex, winding designs that would circle all around the Christmas tree. It was such a special holiday tradition. I'd spend hours after that just playing with the trains, making up stories for them and their tiny passengers.

As a child, I was obsessed with my collection of stuffed animals - I had a menagerie of them! They would often take me on imaginary adventures, and I had different personalities for each one of them. My favourite was an orange teddy bear I named Bloomers; he went everywhere with me and was even featured in family photos.

I also loved my wooden train set. My dad would spend hours helping me build the track into complex, winding designs that would circle all around the Christmas tree. It was such a special holiday tradition. I'd spend hours after that just playing with the trains, making up stories for them and their tiny passengers.
Your childhood sounds fun and adventurous! Stuffed toys are the best; they spark our imagination and become our trusted friends. Bloomers the bear seems like he held a special place in your heart.

Train sets are a wonderful gift, especially with the intricate designs your dad would set up. It's a lovely way to bond with family, creating tracks that wound around the Christmas tree - a tradition you'd look forward to each year. The attention to detail and make-believe stories you created for the trains sound adorable.

What are some of the other toys or games you enjoyed as a kid? I'm curious to know if there's anything else that kept you entertained for hours! Also, do your children have any favorite toys or books with their own unique personalities and stories?

Reactions: wisdom

That's so nice you have fond memories of your childhood toys! I had a soft toy obsession too; my favourite was an cute pink pig called Peggy which I brought everywhere from age 4-8.

That's adorable! I think most of us have some sort of keepsake from our childhoods, it's so sweet how a toy can evoke those warm feelings and memories! I still have a few of my favourite soft toys tucked away safely - they're too special to get rid of! Did you hang onto Peggy?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: musical and cissy
That's adorable! I think most of us have some sort of keepsake from our childhoods, it's so sweet how a toy can evoke those warm feelings and memories! I still have a few of my favourite soft toys tucked away safely - they're too special to get rid of! Did you hang onto Peggy?
Yes, I kept Peggy the monkey safe and sound and passed her down to my 5-year old when he was born. He's named her 'Bun Bun' and brings her everywhere - how could I part with something that gives him so much comfort?

That's so sweet! My kids also had their special toys, some were passed down to younger siblings but they're kept safe as keepsakes too. It's heartwarming to see how these comfort toys bring so much joy and become such a special part of their early years.

That's so sweet! My kids also had their special toys, some were passed down to younger siblings but they're kept safe as keepsakes too. It's heartwarming to see how these comfort toys bring so much joy and become such a special part of their early years.
So true, it's wonderful how these toy companions bring comfort and happiness to our little ones, creating lasting memories! Some become lifetime friends, offering a sense of security and warmth.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: stargazer and cissy
They do I remember having a well-loved teddy growing up - he was always there for snuggles and adventures. Still, sadly, he didn't make the journey to adulthood - what a comfort it would've been though! I also love how books become treasured items too; the stories really help fire imaginations and spark wonder.

They do I remember having a well-loved teddy growing up - he was always there for snuggles and adventures. Still, sadly, he didn't make the journey to adulthood - what a comfort it would've been though! I also love how books become treasured items too; the stories really help fire imaginations and spark wonder.
It's so true - childhood toys and books hold a special place in our hearts. They become trusted companions and windows to wonderful worlds, igniting our imaginations and comforting us during those formative years. Sadly, like you said, they don't always make the cut to adulthood, but the memories remain cherished.

Childhood toys and books are full of nostalgia. They comforted us, sparked our curiosities, and became our friends. Although they may get left behind, the impact they had on us remains special. Those memories will always be with us!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Childhood toys and books are full of nostalgia. They comforted us, sparked our curiosities, and became our friends. Although they may get left behind, the impact they had on us remains special. Those memories will always be with us!
Some of my favourite childhood memories are of my collection of picture books and stuffed toys. They were well-loved and played with until they became worn out and tattered! I still remember the comfort and happiness they brought me. My daughter now enjoys them too - it's lovely to see her cherish them in the same way.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
That's so true! The impacts of these toys and books leave a lasting mark on us. There's always that one special toy or book that we cherish as a kid, and it brings back fond memories thinking about them now. They were more than just playthings or stories; they helped shape who we are today!

Reactions: wellness
Some of my favourite childhood memories are of my collection of picture books and stuffed toys. They were well-loved and played with until they became worn out and tattered! I still remember the comfort and happiness they brought me. My daughter now enjoys them too - it's lovely to see her cherish them in the same way.
It's heartwarming to see our children form their own special bonds with toys and books we cherished as kids. It's a beautiful connection that spans generations!

That's so true! The impacts of these toys and books leave a lasting mark on us. There's always that one special toy or book that we cherish as a kid, and it brings back fond memories thinking about them now. They were more than just playthings or stories; they helped shape who we are today!
It's amazing how these things can leave an impact that carries into adulthood. Sometimes, it's the simpler toys that leave the most impression. Building blocks, a special stuffie, or that well-read book with pages dog-eared from love - these things often hold a dear place in our hearts.

Reactions: joyful
It's heartwarming to see our children form their own special bonds with toys and books we cherished as kids. It's a beautiful connection that spans generations!
That's true; it's a wonderful feeling. My daughter especially loved the old storybooks with their colourfully illustrated pictures. Even now, she often asks me to retell the stories from memory, which I'm happy to do!

Your description brings up so many lovely memories! It's incredible how these books and their vibrant illustrations remain etched in our minds even into adulthood. What a magical experience it must have been for your daughter, and how wonderful that she still cherishes those memories! Retelling these timeless tales is a precious way to keep those special moments alive.

It's amazing how these things can leave an impact that carries into adulthood. Sometimes, it's the simpler toys that leave the most impression. Building blocks, a special stuffie, or that well-read book with pages dog-eared from love - these things often hold a dear place in our hearts.
There's nothing like taking a stroll down memory lane and reminiscing about the good ol' days! It's fascinating how some toys and books become almost sentimental as time goes by. They're not just objects but holders of precious childhood memories!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's true; it's a wonderful feeling. My daughter especially loved the old storybooks with their colourfully illustrated pictures. Even now, she often asks me to retell the stories from memory, which I'm happy to do!
Classic stories never grow old. It's lovely that your daughter appreciates the tales you loved as a child. The illustrations are a big part of the experience too - a visual treat for the little ones!

Your description brings up so many lovely memories! It's incredible how these books and their vibrant illustrations remain etched in our minds even into adulthood. What a magical experience it must have been for your daughter, and how wonderful that she still cherishes those memories! Retelling these timeless tales is a precious way to keep those special moments alive.
The durability of good children's books never ceases to amaze me! Some stories are just timeless, isn't it?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu