• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys Books Parent recommendations please!

That's great to know! DK books are visually engaging with their beautiful illustrations and photographs. Simple text that keeps toddlers focused is a hard combination to find. Are there any other toy or book choices that have been a hit with your class? I'm always on the lookout for recommendations to share with parents!
My son and the children in my care love interactive books with different textures and sounds - touchy-feely books, especially those with catchy/rhyming stories, are a big hit! We also can't get enough of building block toys. They're timeless and provide hours of fun.

Ya, DK books are visually appealing and engaging for the little ones! Bright colors and detailed illustrations help to capture their short attention spans. The My First series is a great way to spark their interest and curiosity in various topics!
DK books are fantastic because they simplify complex topics for young readers and their vivid visuals really help engage fidgety audiences.

Some great book recommendations I've found include:
- Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell - a classic with lots of interactive elements and a catchy rhyme
- Any of the Baby Touch and Feel books - they're short and sweet with different textures to explore
- Fun with Spots, a lift-the-flap book with loads of sensory patches including a squeaker, which is great for developing senses

For building blocks, we love the timeless wooden variety - they're durable and so versatile! You can never go wrong with a good old LEGO set too; the satisfaction of building something cool is hard to beat.

My son and the children in my care love interactive books with different textures and sounds - touchy-feely books, especially those with catchy/rhyming stories, are a big hit! We also can't get enough of building block toys. They're timeless and provide hours of fun.
Some of the best books I've come across for children have got to be the Spot the Dog series by Eric Hill. They're classic lift-the-flap books with catchy rhymes that kids find enchanting, with different textures to touch and feel. The simplicity of the stories makes it easy for young toddlers to grasp and the rhyming makes it enjoyable for parents to read aloud.

For building blocks, have you introduced your son to Lego Duplo? They're sturdy, brightly colored blocks designed especially for little hands. There's also a plethora of themed sets to explore, from pirate ships to zoos, which provide an exciting twist to the regular blocks. These toys are sure to keep the kids occupied and foster their creativity and motor skills too!

Some of the best books I've come across for children have got to be the Spot the Dog series by Eric Hill. They're classic lift-the-flap books with catchy rhymes that kids find enchanting, with different textures to touch and feel. The simplicity of the stories makes it easy for young toddlers to grasp and the rhyming makes it enjoyable for parents to read aloud.

For building blocks, have you introduced your son to Lego Duplo? They're sturdy, brightly colored blocks designed especially for little hands. There's also a plethora of themed sets to explore, from pirate ships to zoos, which provide an exciting twist to the regular blocks. These toys are sure to keep the kids occupied and foster their creativity and motor skills too!
The books you've recommended are adorable and timeless! As for the building blocks, yup, Lego Duplo is a great pick for little hands. The kids can get creative with all the different sets and make storybook scenarios come alive.

So glad you agree! Lego Duplo is such a fantastic choice for encouraging creativity, especially with its versatile sets :)

Reactions: wellness
So glad you agree! Lego Duplo is such a fantastic choice for encouraging creativity, especially with its versatile sets :)
Yeah, my kids love their LEGO Duplo sets, very sturdy and definitely sparks the imagination! The variety of themes keeps things exciting too.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Yeah, my kids love their LEGO Duplo sets, very sturdy and definitely sparks the imagination! The variety of themes keeps things exciting too.
The Lego Duplo sets are really versatile and a hit among the toddlers for sure! I remember getting lots of different animal figures and even a farm set when I was younger. They're so fun to collect because each set has unique special pieces. My kiddo has a couple of them and enjoys matching and building them alongside her other toys too.

Lego Duplo seems like a great choice for toddlers, with their unique sets and versatile usage. It's nice to hear that your kiddo enjoys them so much! I'm sure other parents will find this recommendation helpful when selecting toys for their little ones.

The farm set especially sounds interactive and educational, with the opportunity to learn about different animals. Thanks for sharing your experience!

We've had so much fun with Lego Duplo - it's a great way to teach her about animals and colours and she loves matching the bricks to the right spots. She also enjoys taking the figures by their hands and making them 'jump' from one brick to another - lots of motor skills practice too!
The best bit for me is that Lego Duplo is suitable from 18 months so I know she's not going to outgrow it quickly, which is definitely a priority when investing in toys!

My little one also loves his wooden train set and we've built up quite the collection of track, trains and add ons over the past 18 months or so - it's great for creative and imaginary play and again, seems like something that will last us a long time too. We got given some really lovely wooden animals too which are great for making stories up about - they're from an Italian brand called Melissa & Doug.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and lioness
My little one also loves his wooden train set and we've built up quite the collection of track, trains and add ons over the past 18 months or so - it's great for creative and imaginary play and again, seems like something that will last us a long time too. We got given some really lovely wooden animals too which are great for making stories up about - they're from an Italian brand called Melissa & Doug.
Melissa & Doug have really lovely and durable products Their wooden toys are intricate and charming, perfect for little hands and creative minds.

Melissa & Doug have really lovely and durable products Their wooden toys are intricate and charming, perfect for little hands and creative minds.
My kiddo had their wooden block set when he was younger, and the pieces were fantastic for keeping him entertained and fostering his creativity and motor skills. He especially loved stacking them up like towers and knocking them down! They're top-notch quality and worth the money.

My kiddo had their wooden block set when he was younger, and the pieces were fantastic for keeping him entertained and fostering his creativity and motor skills. He especially loved stacking them up like towers and knocking them down! They're top-notch quality and worth the money.
Wooden blocks are classic for a good reason! They're so versatile, durable, and open-ended. Tower stacking is such a fun activity and great for hand-eye coordination too.

So true! Also love wooden toys - they last forever and the options are endless. My kiddo loves their wooden train set, it's been played with almost daily for years now and still going strong. Something about the weight and texture of wood too that just feels so much nicer than plastic!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Wooden toys are awesome - my kids have a few that they've had for years and they still look brand new, despite some serious playtime action. Love that they're so sturdy and there's so many cool options these days too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu