• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys Books Parent recommendations please!

Yes, the sensory experience is a huge part of it all - touching different textures, hearing different sounds, even tasting them (though we've found some books that taste a bit too good end up getting quite chewed up!). Motor skill development is encouraged with books that have interactive elements like flaps to lift or buttons to press.

It's a fun age because they're so curious and engaged - though that also makes it challenging when trying to keep them entertained!
Books with different textural elements like fur or crinkly pages are a tactile delight for little ones and help develop sensory awareness. These books can captivate their attention and stimulate their curious minds, especially if they have an interactive element that keeps them engaged.

Interactive and sensory books with different textures are fantastic for little readers!

My nieces loved the 'That's Not My...' book series by Fiona Watt, with their variety of touchy-feely elements and simple stories/pictures catering to various senses. Books with different tactile experiences like fur, rough textures, or even little flaps to lift keep tiny hands engaged and developing motor skills - plus they're durable enough to withstand enthusiastic exploration!

Some of the books also have different themes like puppy, kit cat, rainbow fish, etc., so there's a wide variety to choose from.

Toys-wise, wooden toys with different textures are great sensory play things - drums, rattles, or even simple blocks with various tactile experiences can be a hit! Parents might also enjoy the added benefit of these toys being relatively quieter than their plastic counterparts 😅😂

My kids loved the Usborne books - especially the touchy feely ones and also the ones with buttons for different animal sounds. Anything with lots of different textures to explore is great for this age group!
We also had a few toys with hidden surprises inside that were revealed when you pulled a lever or turned a dial - those were very popular!

Usborne books are fantastic! Lots of variety and great for sensory development. Love the idea of toys with hidden surprises - very intriguing for little ones and encouraging them to explore cause and effect too. Anything with interactive elements like levers and dials is a win!

Usborne books are amazing aren't they! We love their variety and colourful illustrations. Agree totally about the sensory development - especially good for those all-important fine motor skills practice too. Interactive toys are such a winner with little ones - they love discovering what happens when they press/pull that button or lever!

They really are, we love Usborne! Their lift-the-flap books are so engaging and the variety of themes is fantastic. Interactive toys are a huge hit in our house too - they're such a great way to learn cause and effect!

Usborne books are amazing! My little one absolutely loves the touchy feely books, especially the different textures. We also love interactive toys - they're such great fun and provide hours of entertainment.

Usborne books are fantastic! Their range is amazing and their illustrated dictionaries are brilliant for helping to teach older toddlers about the world around them. We also love interactive toys, especially ones that teach music - anything that makes a noise is a winner here!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and eternity
Usborne books are fantastic! Their range is amazing and their illustrated dictionaries are brilliant for helping to teach older toddlers about the world around them. We also love interactive toys, especially ones that teach music - anything that makes a noise is a winner here!
We adore interactive learning with our kids; lucky there are so many cool musical toys these days! My kids' current favourite is the Light-Up Magic Microphone which teaches them about sounds and has some old-school singalongs too. It's a win for all!

My toddler also loves musical interactive toys! She recently received a tambourine which she enjoys shaking and making music with. I like how it engages her senses and encourages an appreciation for rhythm and sound. Usborne books are new to me, I'll have to check them out! Does anyone have specific book recommendations with lots of visuals and facts that would captivate a curious toddler's attention?

We adore interactive learning with our kids; lucky there are so many cool musical toys these days! My kids' current favourite is the Light-Up Magic Microphone which teaches them about sounds and has some old-school singalongs too. It's a win for all!
That microphone toy sounds fab! My kids love music and dance, and anything that keeps them entertained while learning is a huge yes for me too. I find that educational toys are so much more fun nowadays compared to when I was a kid!

Reactions: sunnybunny
My toddler also loves musical interactive toys! She recently received a tambourine which she enjoys shaking and making music with. I like how it engages her senses and encourages an appreciation for rhythm and sound. Usborne books are new to me, I'll have to check them out! Does anyone have specific book recommendations with lots of visuals and facts that would captivate a curious toddler's attention?
My toddler loves the Usborne That's Not My... touchy-feely books. They're very engaging with different texture patches for little hands to explore and cute illustrations with plenty of details to point out and discuss. There are varying themes like animals, vehicles etc.

My kids loved those books too! We also enjoyed the Baby Touch and Feel series from Dorling Kindersley (DK). They're very similar to Usborne's touchy-feely books with different textured patches, and have a great variety of themes - colors, animals, numbers, etc., all with interesting facts about the subjects. Certainly worth checking out if you haven't discovered them already!

Good to know about the Baby Touch and Feel series. DK has some excellent stuff for kids. We've got a few board books from their My First series which have simple facts presented in a very engaging way for toddlers, on themes like dinosaurs, animals and machines - those are great too and well-loved by our little one!

DK has some stellar publishing houses backing it which results in amazing quality books. The My First series seems especially engaging for toddlers, the board book format is always a win with the bite-sized simple facts and bright pictures.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
DK has some stellar publishing houses backing it which results in amazing quality books. The My First series seems especially engaging for toddlers, the board book format is always a win with the bite-sized simple facts and bright pictures.
The DK books are a great hit among my toddler classes! The bright pictures keep them engaged, and the simple texts keep their attention spans from wandering too far.

Yes, DK does stand out with its meticulous attention to detail and bright, attractive visuals which seem perfect for capturing a young toddler's attention span. The My First series seems like an exciting way to introduce a plethora of topics to pique their curiosity!

The DK books are a great hit among my toddler classes! The bright pictures keep them engaged, and the simple texts keep their attention spans from wandering too far.
That's great to know! DK books are visually engaging with their beautiful illustrations and photographs. Simple text that keeps toddlers focused is a hard combination to find. Are there any other toy or book choices that have been a hit with your class? I'm always on the lookout for recommendations to share with parents!

Yes, DK does stand out with its meticulous attention to detail and bright, attractive visuals which seem perfect for capturing a young toddler's attention span. The My First series seems like an exciting way to introduce a plethora of topics to pique their curiosity!
Ya, DK books are visually appealing and engaging for the little ones! Bright colors and detailed illustrations help to capture their short attention spans. The My First series is a great way to spark their interest and curiosity in various topics!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
I agree that DK books are great for toddlers! They are visually appealing and full of bite-sized information, perfect for sparking their interest and stimulating their curious little minds. My kiddo loves the My First series, especially the touchy-feely ones with different texture patches - they're sensory heaven for toddlers!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu